Blue Mountain Bike Park- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Blue Mountain Bike Park

I didn't see any recent discussions in this section, so I thought I'd start one.

Who rides here?

For new riders, here's a really good overview of what to expect at Blue:

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Not knowing your background, but i'm guessing since your ride a 575 you're not a buff-trail-xc-kind-of-rider and have some experience getting your tires off the ground, i'd contribute some general comments like this

- rent a dh bike, save the pounding of your 575 the first time around. particularly the brakes. DH oriented brakes with 8" rotors are a different class than trail-bike brakes. Some experienced riders are using stuff like XT and XTR Trail instead of DH brakes like Saint or Zee or whatnot but I do not advise that for a first timer as you're going to want to heavily moderate your speed until you get the feel of how things work. Just like on snow, speed builds quickly. Sometimes too quickly.

- rent/borrow/wear full protective gear. You're likely going down a few times on your first time out. I always wear at least helmet, elbow, knee guards, and full-finger gloves.

- work the mountain west to east, that's the general progression of severity - note the word *general* as there are "clench" moments on most trails

- do not launch any dirt or drop or feature without scoping it out before-hand. Landing areas vary in how to handle them. Rocks move. Trail crud is. Some landing transitions are easy to over-shoot.

- Chainsaw and King Tut (western side) are two of my favorites and a lot of fun, with a few finish options for variety. Beware of projecting rocks the size of Smart Cars on the lower sections though, easy to clip a handlebar or knee or hip.

- Moto and OCS (eastern side, lower) are probably the most-rock-gnar-natural sections, steep and rocky. very easy to endo. Formula is less steep but still steep enough to be fast. The rock drop entering the second part of OCS can NOT be rolled, it must be dropped. There is a go-around you can use the first time (?) to scope it out though, safely.

- Ewok Village (towards bottom, visible to east from lift) is a fun jump line BUT be wary of DH bikes on it as the suspension can easily have you pitched wacky, some of the 'tables' are very short and steep. Feels more built towards DJ bikes than DH bike and assumes commensurate skills. All 'tables' are rollable though.

- Empire (eastern-most) is an excellent example of worked Free-Ride trail, not rocky, but pain could be large if you screw up on one of the features. Not all features can be rolled, some must be dropped/jumped. There are go-arounds though so you can scope it out without putting yourself in the e-room.
    Last edited by Jonezed7; 08-05-2015 at 04:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    recent discussion on Blue: http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/...ay-970519.html

I ride there a handful of times a year. I'll definitely be there early August and for the GES race weekend.

mtbr member
    We're a little past Memorial Day. I was thinking a general discussion thread so the title isn't misleading.

I quit e-MTBR
    Blue is great. Fun on a DH bike, fun on a trail bike too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post
    We're a little past Memorial Day. I was thinking a general discussion thread so the title isn't misleading.
    no worries, just wasn't sure if you'd want to see it.

Do you ride at Blue?

mtbr member
    Been snowboarding my entire life (originally from eastern pa) and have been to Blue a number of times since moving to philly. Never biked there, but going on Saturday. I'm new to the downhill scene.

Chilling out
    I do, I probably know another 6-12 people in the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area that ride there somewhat between regularly and irregularly.

I know some other people from outside my local area that ride there also, probably a total of ~20 people in the 'dh' community I directly know. There's a ton more.

Blue has done great in improving itself over the last couple years. Pretty good ride value if you ask me. Only down side is you'll get sunburn easily from sitting on the lift, I know people who keep a floppy cap in their pocket to swap out with their helmet for the lift ride.

And others have said it, but fun can be had on anything from a hard-tail to a full-on dh bike. I've seen it all out there. Scariest was the Walmart bike being rolled off big drops. Ack!

mtbr member
    You sound pretty involved. Do you race too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    DH is the best thing, you'll love it. I have snowboarded the last 10 years, skied before that, and it doesn't match DH IMO.

I'll be there on Sunday, bummer I would have shown you around. Ask and people should be willing to show you around, it's laid back and friendly

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to it. Depending on how it goes I might go up both days. I'll send you a message if so.

Appreciate the offer.

Chilling out
    You sound pretty involved. Do you race too?
    Not nearly as much as some, but yes.

I have long had a passion for going down. Heh heh heh.

Ps. I will be there sat with a bunch for a social day. I have a blue kona with a teddy bear on the stem. Likely wearing my autumn colored Valley Cycles jersey.

mtbr member
    Nice pun, haha.

I'll be there with my Dutch colleague (if you see someone really tall, it's probably him). It's his first time there too. Unfortunately he's going back to the Netherlands in about 2 weeks and I'm losing my riding friend.

I ride a black and silver Scott genius LT and have a red helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm going tomorrow for the first time as well. Also new to the DH scene and will be there on my white Ibis Mojo-SLR, see you guys there.

mtbr member
    Rode up there yesterday. The trails were awesome and really friendly people. Hoping to get back out there again soon.

mtbr member
    I wish I saw this sooner, I went this Sunday. I have never rode that bike park before and had a blast. Now it makes sense why Tim said about my tall friend I was with, I think he thought I was Jonezed7.

Anyway I had a blast and I'll be there a few more times this year for sure. Honestly I cant wait to go back. Figure I'll ride it the rest of the season and maybe look into a full on DH bike for next season since I live 5 minutes away.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My first time this weekend as well, great time! Only got in four runs before my CC DBAir blew out, but I can't wait to get back out there once I get the shock back from Suspension Experts.

mtbr member
    Let me know when you guys are going up again and maybe we can meet up since we're all relatively new to downhill.

I had a blast and can't wait to get back up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rode saturday and Sunday this weekend for the first time in a little while

Didn't get a chance to see the new additions but they did a nice job of clearing trail sections in between the closing time for the spartan race.

Wish we got some rain during the week, seemed fairly dry minus a few shaded spots and very loose. Or maybe it's just not riding there in a month that made it seem that way

Have seen a bunch of beginners and newer people there the last two days which is great. Saturday I relieve they said they rented out all of their bikes. I have seen plenty of hardtails there recently as well

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I might be up there again this saturday, also considering going to mtn creek though. I hope to make it there once more before the GES race weekend.

The trails at blue are almost always dry and loose, even after it rains, though it is supposed to rain on Friday, so hopefully there will be a little moisture left in the dirt.

mtbr member
    A buddy and I are going there for the first time in Sept. How difficult are the easy/moderate trails? Is there a particular trail that is better/more fun than another?
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Bear had a really good write up in this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/...ay-970519.html

It's just dependent on your skill level and type of riding you have done before. Beginner trails still have drops, twists and turns that will send you for a loop if taken the wrong way

Best suggestion is take a slow lap through them first then go back to the ones you enjoy the most and rip up. Happy yummy is one of my favorites along with wild turkey

Maybe ask someone to show you around, lots of friendly people. Sorry tired or else I'd do a better write up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotHead87 View Post

It's just dependent on your skill level and type of riding you have done before. Beginner trails still have drops, twists and turns that will send you for a loop if taken the wrong way

Best suggestion is take a slow lap through them first then go back to the ones you enjoy the most and rip up. Happy yummy is one of my favorites along with wild turkey

Maybe ask someone to show you around, lots of friendly people. Sorry tired or else I'd do a better write up
    Cool, thanks for the info! Can't wait to go, should be a lot of fun.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Another quick question, should I keep my carbon wheel set on or use my stock aluminum wheel set?

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParrotHead87 View Post

I went ahead and added his quote to the first post for visibility.

mtbr member
    Take the aluminum ones. If anything happens, it's not expensive to fix.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JPanaccione View Post
    Another quick question, should I keep my carbon wheel set on or use my stock aluminum wheel set?
    Never had carbon always use aluminum. I tend to stick to the west side but have ridden every trail there no problem with my wheels

Guess each their own but it does tend to be very rocky throughout the mountain no matter where you ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Take the aluminum ones. If anything happens, it's not expensive to fix.
    yeah, that's what I was thinking.. I figured the added weight would help too

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies! What about tires, between the Specialized Ground controls and the Captains, which would be better to run with there?

the Captains are 2.2's and I have 2.1 & 2.3 GC's

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Start on the green and go from there. There are basically two ways down for each blue and green trails. Hit all of those first and if you are confident you can try miles of smiles. There are some features you can bypass and a few steep sections, but nothing too crazy. Just go slow your first time down any new trail there. If you are confident on miles of smiles then hit up the blacks. IMO Moto is the hardest trail on the mountain. Oh, and you can totally roll down Ewok Village, it just tables.

mtbr member

Blue Mountain Bike Park

Thanks for the replies! What about tires, between the Specialized Ground controls and the Captains, which would be better to run with there?

the Captains are 2.2's and I have 2.1 & 2.3 GC's
    What kind of bike do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    Start on the green and go from there. There are basically two ways down for each blue and green trails. Hit all of those first and if you are confident you can try miles of smiles. There are some features you can bypass and a few steep sections, but nothing too crazy. Just go slow your first time down any new trail there. If you are confident on miles of smiles then hit up the blacks. IMO Moto is the hardest trail on the mountain. Oh, and you can totally roll down Ewok Village, it just tables.

I really regret not doing miles of smiles. Ewok is a lot of fun to ride through.

Hopefully I'll be able to go up again next weekend.

mtbr member
    yeah, we're definitely doing the slow roll through first, talking with my friend we may stay on the green trails for most of the day, unless they're super easy. We only live 2 hours away, if we like it, we'll head back to hit the others.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jonezed7;12121345]What kind of bike do you have?

I'm building a Airborne Hobgoblin ( frame arrives Sat. my first FS bike )
    I currently have a Seeker

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Do you plan on riding that? Is it your first time riding downhill?

mtbr member
    yeah, the HG, 1st time doing downhill on a mountain, we have a lot of elevations where I ride in White Clay Park, the downhills there are pretty twisty and hilly, and on the edge.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    lol, totally reminds me of my wife saying... You're not wearing that out are you? lol

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    yeah, the HG, 1st time doing downhill on a mountain, we have a lot of elevations where I ride in White Clay Park, the downhills there are pretty twisty and hilly, and on the edge.
    I would consider renting a downhill bike. I just looked up the hobgoblin and 100 mm of travel isn't much room for comfort. While some people do ride hardtails and short travel bikes, downhill bikes with more travel and better brakes are a great option.

Just something to consider for your first time.

mtbr member
    I would consider renting a downhill bike. I just looked up the hobgoblin and 100 mm of travel isn't much room for comfort. While some people do ride hardtails and short travel bikes, downhill bikes with more travel and better brakes are a great option.

Just something to consider for your first time.
    Im sure the dh rental would be better, I'm an old guy and don't plan on bombing the mountain. If I don't feel comfortable on mine, I'll look in to renting.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Entirely you're call. As long as you're aware of what's ahead of you, you'll be fine.

Most importantly, have fun.

mtbr member
    Entirely you're call. As long as you're aware of what's ahead of you, you'll be fine.

Most importantly, have fun.
    that's the main goal I do appreciate the advise

any thoughts on the two tires i mentioned?

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member

Blue Mountain Bike Park

That's actually why I asked about the bike. Downhill tires are usually wider (2.4-2.5) and more grippy for better braking and cornering vs rolling speed.

I'm not an expert by any means, but pick the ones with better traction and a grippy front tire for good cornering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    honestly a DH specific tire will make a pretty big difference. The tires you mention are more XC tires, so their casing is very light. DH tires have 2-ply casing that helps keep the tire stable and also helps prevent pinch flats (though they still will happen). If you are set on using the captains or GCs, then be prepared for flats, especially in this dry weather.

Also, +1 on renting a DH bike from Blue

mtbr member
    I agree with Tim. I rode DH tires and my friend had Hans dampf and he killed his front tire. Luckily some guy had a pump and we got enough air in it to not walk down the mountain.

I quit e-MTBR
    I agree DH tires are a good idea, but I've ridden there many times on regular Hans Dampfs without any tire problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I love the rock drop

mtbr member
    Blue is a bit of a jump from White Clay. People take beginners to White Clay to learn to ride...
    IMHO 2.1 XC tires are a big mistake.

Not to discourage you in anyway. My experience was that my Yeti 575 w/ 180/160 XT brakes, enduro tires, 34 fork was under gunned, once the I started to really ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Blue is a bit of a jump from White Clay. People take beginners to White Clay to learn to ride...
    IMHO 2.1 XC tires are a big mistake.

Not to discourage you in anyway. My experience was that my Yeti 575 w/ 180/160 XT brakes, enduro tires, 34 fork was under gunned, once the I started to really ride.
    If wc is where beginners go in our area, what's the next area?

I say lums is the beginner, then to some trails in white clay, but there are some in wc that a beginner shouldn't be on, ive also gone through brandywine, fair hill, iron hill,.. Pretty much all we have to offer.

As I said before I'm not going to bomb the mountain, and hit big drops my first time going, I'm just gonna cruise at a comfortable pace. Was just looking for a little insight on which of my tires to bring with.. and which were the easier trails to go on.

The advise is appreciated though.. I think some are miss interpreting that I'm going full force down the mountain on a xc bike.. That's not he case here lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Dude. White clay is so mild compared to blue. You are going to have all the twists and turns except you are going to be going faster over large rocks. It will crush your rims. I recommend just renting a DH bike.

i have a AM dual suspension 160mm travel bike with 2.4 tires I wouldn't take there.

Here is an example of the terrain. I am not expert by any means this was like my 1rst time there. I was on a rented bike.

If you have to bring that bike. Use the widest tires you got.

Chilling out
    Skinnier 2 ply dh tires are better than wide 1 ply trail tires, if THAT is the choice to be made. Brake endurance still will be a factor, put new pads on before you go (or take with)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Skinnier 2 ply dh tires are better than wide 1 ply trail tires, if THAT is the choice to be made. Brake endurance still will be a factor, put new pads on before you go (or take with)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    thanks

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    Dude. White clay is so mild compared to blue. You are going to have all the twists and turns except you are going to be going faster over large rocks. It will crush your rims. I recommend just renting a DH bike.

i have a AM dual suspension 160mm travel bike with 2.4 tires I wouldn't take there.

Here is an example of the terrain. I am not expert by any means this was like my 1rst time there. I was on a rented bike.

Nice video, but yeah, I wont be hitting all those jumps and drop offs you did, especially the first couple of go's. I've watched a bunch of videos where guys chose some pretty simple looking trails there and seen some where I wouldn't attempt to do.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Something to note: GoPro videos do not show grade very well at all. It's shocking to see how steep something is in person verse what you saw in the video.

I'm always a bit disappointed after watching my footage. Has anyone else noticed this?

mtbr member
    Something to note: GoPro videos do not show grade very well at all. It's shocking to see how steep something is in person verse what you saw in the video.

I'm always a bit disappointed after watching my footage. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I totally agree, a good friend of mine ( lives in NC ) that goes to pisgah all the time used to say based on my videos I don't climb enough to be able to hang there... When he came up here recently to ride our trails, he couldn't believe the climbs we do on a daily basis.. he changed his mind about me being able to hang..lol I'm going there next year with him

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you normally ride white clay and are planning on riding blue, do yourself a favor and go ride wissahickon or bear creek or sals and see how you fair on your bike on the rocky downhills. There's definitely stuff at blue that's easier than the gnarliest lines in wiss, but as a whole, I'd say blue is technically more difficult and rocky. If you're ok with with stuff like the Indian downhill in wiss or the switchback downhill at bear, you should have no issues on your own bike at blue if you take your time and pick a clean line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    If you normally ride white clay and are planning on riding blue, do yourself a favor and go ride wissahickon or bear creek or sals and see how you fair on your bike on the rocky downhills. There's definitely stuff at blue that's easier than the gnarliest lines in wiss, but as a whole, I'd say blue is technically more difficult and rocky. If you're ok with with stuff like the Indian downhill in wiss or the switchback downhill at bear, you should have no issues on your own bike at blue if you take your time and pick a clean line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advise

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    New miles of smiles features pretty good.

Glad to see blue adding and creating new things throughout the year

mtbr member

I enjoyed your video, skewed perception of steepness or not...recognized a lot of those trail. My only trip was while they was practice day for the ESC Enduro, so a lot of things were taped off. disappointed you skipped the wall ride...

smartass
    I rode Blue on Saturday. First time in about a year, and the first time since selling my TR450 DH bike last summer.

I don't rent bikes. I want my own bike setup the way I like it, so I took my Banshee Spitfire. 650b carbon wheels, 2.3" trail tires, 150mm/140mm suspension. It was ****ing great, and I'll ride it there again for sure.

Rode everything except Moto and Chutes and Ladders. On some of the flatter trails, it was better than a full on DH bike. Of course on the steepest stuff with the biggest rocks and holes, a DH bike would absolutely have been better. But overall, my little trail bike killed it and was super fun. Definitely fun enough that I don't regret my decision to sell my DH bike. I'll buy some proper DH casing tires for next time, but that's all it needs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I enjoyed your video, skewed perception of steepness or not...recognized a lot of those trail. My only trip was while they was practice day for the ESC Enduro, so a lot of things were taped off. disappointed you skipped the wall ride...
    Yea haha. The wall ride looks fun, will have to try it next time Im there. This was my first attempt with the go pro, now that I'm more familiar with it should be able to get some better footage next time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    I rode Blue on Saturday. First time in about a year, and the first time since selling my TR450 DH bike last summer.

I don't rent bikes. I want my own bike setup the way I like it, so I took my Banshee Spitfire. 650b carbon wheels, 2.3" trail tires, 150mm/140mm suspension. It was ****ing great, and I'll ride it there again for sure.

Rode everything except Moto and Chutes and Ladders. On some of the flatter trails, it was better than a full on DH bike. Of course on the steepest stuff with the biggest rocks and holes, a DH bike would absolutely have been better. But overall, my little trail bike killed it and was super fun. Definitely fun enough that I don't regret my decision to sell my DH bike. I'll buy some proper DH casing tires for next time, but that's all it needs.
    What kind of wheels you rocking on that bad boy? That is my biggest fear that my wheels wont be able to take the abuse.

smartass
    Light Bicycle 650b carbon, 30mm internal width, all mountain layup, 32 hole, with Sapim Laser spokes. Tires are Maxxis DHR2, EXO casing.

I ran more pressure that I would have preferred. But without DH casing tires, I didn't want to risk low pressure. Next time, with DH tires I'll drop the pressure and it should be a lot better.

mtbr member

I took my Rune there with DH tires on and it was awesome. a 160mm bike with DH tires was nimble enough to really toss around and still enough for everything we did. We blasted into Chutes and ladders actually and although its pretty chunky we had no issues.

I'm Local
    I've ridden and raced Blue for years on both a full on DH bike and my Knolly DT. There are only a few trails I wish the DH for, otherwise I prefer my DT.

Knolly DT mid Enduro race run
    Blue Mountain Bike Park-blue-enduro.jpg

Knolly DT during practice
    Blue Mountain Bike Park-esc-berm-1.jpg
    Blue Mountain Bike Park-esc-berm-2.jpg
    Blue Mountain Bike Park-esc-berm-3.jpg
    Blue Mountain Bike Park-esc-practice-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    is the knolly DT a freeride bike?

What kind of fork you running on it?

I'm Local
    I guess you could call it a freeride bike... It currently and in the pics has a Fox 36 180 Talas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    not sure my fox factory 34 will be beefy enough.

I'm Local
    It's all in how you ride it...

mtbr member
    You will be fine I saw 34's up there last time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a marzocchi 55r and fox Rp3 for my rear

I was running a maxxis mobster 26x2.35 in my back all summer with no issues up until this last weekend because my tread is ran down

Probably rode blue 8-10 times this year

Everyone will have and want something different. I just ride what I feel comfortable with

mtbr member
    I just bought new tires and put them on yesterday. How low of a tire pressure do you typically run at blue? The range on these is 35-65 psi.

smartass
    People are all over the place on pressure. It really depends on the tire casing, volume, how you ride, etc. I ran 3-4 psi more for DH than for trail on the same tire, just to be on the safe side.

I'm Local
    People are all over the place on pressure. It really depends on the tire casing, volume, how you ride, etc. I ran 3-4 psi more for DH than for trail on the same tire, just to be on the safe side.
    And then there's tubeless... Which is a whole other scenario... For reference in all those pics I posted my set up is tubeless with 30 to 32 psi with DH casing tires. I add or subtract depending on how hard I'm going to lean into corners...

smartass
    Oh yeah, I forgot people still run tubes.

Chilling out
    FWIW, I run the same PSI tubeless or tubed. I find that the tubeless setup gets more tire "accomodation" to the terrain intrinsically w/o the added structure provided by tubes, and like the lower rolling resistance. Trail or DH.

That said,

- my 5" FS 29er Trail bike (Yeti SB95) runs 25-30 psi (front/rear, 2.4"/2.3" tires, add 5 psi for 2.2"-ish tires). Currently have 2.35" Ikon 3c rear and 2.4" OnOne ChunkyMonkey front.

- my 8" FS 26er DH bike (Kona Park Operator) runs 32-37 psi (front/rear, 2.5" tires). Currently have Kenda Excavator DH/wire rear w/tube and Maxxis Minion DHF DH/kevlar tubeless front.

I'm ~220 pounds w/o camelback. Both bikes see "high velocity" on their trails (max ~35 mph on the Yeti this year, something over that on the Kona).

Even with all that tire and travel I do still try to ride smooth. Regular doses of riding my hard-tail 29er help in remembering what that means.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Local717 View Post
    I've ridden and raced Blue for years on both a full on DH bike and my Knolly DT. There are only a few trails I wish the DH for, otherwise I prefer my DT.
    Yeah, but you also have superhuman riding abilities. lol

I'm Local
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Yeah, but you also have superhuman riding abilities. lol
    Thanks for the kind words, and lets ride!!! I'm going out to Gretna today to get some miles in after work...

mtbr member
    Anyone riding on Sunday?

mtbr member
    Anyone riding on Sunday?

Me and a friend will be there Sunday.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I forgot people still run tubes.
    What is a 'tube'?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Local717 View Post
    I guess you could call it a freeride bike... It currently and in the pics has a Fox 36 180 Talas.
    Mine was beefy enough, but was lacking due to the crap EVO damper couldn't keep up...
    Have not been back since upgrading to the 2015 Factory damper...HIGHLY recommended.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine was beefy enough, but was lacking due to the crap EVO damper couldn't keep up...
    Have not been back since upgrading to the 2015 Factory damper...HIGHLY recommended.
    After feeling the difference from my fox evolution 34 to the fox factory 34 I will never again buy a bike with a fox evolution fork. If I do it will be sold immediately and I will put the money towards a factory. The difference was so noticeable to me I refuse to go back haha.

That being said I have had the creaking/clicking CSU on both. At this point I have just learned to live with it, sick of sending it back. My rock shox revelation on my hard tail does it too right out of the box, I seriously must have the worst luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anyone going to cranks around the campfire next week by any chance?

mtbr member
    What's that? I only saw the beer bourbon and bbq fest this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What's that? I only saw the beer bourbon and bbq fest this Saturday.
    Ride Allamuchy -

Camping all weekend with 3 parks surrounding the grounds with a lot of trails.

Day rides and night rides for all levels of riders.

I'm going with my friend.

mtbr member
    Looks cool. Wish I would have known about it sooner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone racing this weekend? I'll be there with my white Morewood. Say hello and share a lap or two!

mtbr member

Blue Mountain Bike Park

I won't be racing, but I'll be going up to ride on Sunday. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it this weekend.

Edit: actually if the race is Sunday I might go up on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I'll be up Sunday to watch the race.

Anyone know if it's cool to bring my Husky with to spectate? She's well behaved I just don't want to have to run her home if it's not allowed.
    Last edited by dirtrider76; 08-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They finally put up a page for this race: https://www.skibluemt.com/mountain-a...downhill-race/

Looks like the whole right side of the mountain will still be open, just know that there will be longer than normal lift lines.

I assume you could bring a dog on the mountain, might have to check with Blue first though.

mtbr member
    I'll check with them, I saw one there this weekend and it was on the lift as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I'll check with them, I saw one there this weekend and it was on the lift as well.
    Haha that's pretty awesome. I'd love to bring my dogs up, but I'm not sure if they'd like the lift.

They finally put up a page for this race: https://www.skibluemt.com/mountain-a...downhill-race/

Looks like the whole right side of the mountain will still be open, just know that there will be longer than normal lift lines.

I assume you could bring a dog on the mountain, might have to check with Blue first though.
    So will these be closed on Saturday too?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The website implies that the race course is only closed on Sunday during the race. The course will be taped, so you'd have to use caution crossing the course or entering/exiting. My guess is you could ride it saturday, but there will be a lot of traffic on it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I gathered too. Thanks.

Looks like severe thunderstorms are on the way later this week. Hopefully they clear by the weekend.

mtbr member
    The course was taped off Sunday, at least part of it anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like severe thunderstorms are on the way later this week. Hopefully they clear by the weekend.
    Yeah I have my eye on the weather. Rain or shine it will be a blast...but a little rain will help keep the dust down for sure!

mtbr member
    Some rain on Thursday and Friday would be perfect for weekend riding.

mtbr member
    It was very dry and loose Sunday at spots, some rain wont hurt. We actually ran a good part of the course on our160mm trail bikes without issue. Obviously the racers will be going way faster though.

mtbr member
    Looks like the weather has cleared up and the forecasting is showing sunshine for the weekend. Anyone want to ride on Saturday?

Chilling out
    I don't know if I'll be out there Sat yet, but there should be a ton of people since there is a GES race there this Sunday.

mtbr member
    Hoping it's not too crowded though

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Will be over there tomorrow to watch.

Good luck to anyone racing

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast