Blue Marsh trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blue Marsh trails

I am planning on riding at Blue Marsh this Sunday. My wife and I have never ridden there before but would like to ride the 30 mile loop. Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like? I know that some of our county parks in York are closed for mountain biking right now due to all the rain. Does this ever happen at Blue Marsh? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trail eater

be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    I am planning on riding at Blue Marsh this Sunday. My wife and I have never ridden there before but would like to ride the 30 mile loop. Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like? I know that some of our county parks in York are closed for mountain biking right now due to all the rain. Does this ever happen at Blue Marsh? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A couple of friends and I rode blue marsh and it was awsome. there are some slight technical sections, rocky parts and smooth single track flowing past some corn fields and some leg burning climbs. That was our first time out there. However I do advise you take a map or have someone you know ride with you because you can become easily lost if your sense of direction isnt that good.
    The most important thing to remember to take with you is LOTS and LOTS of water and energy bars. there is no place to stop and get fresh water so hydrate plenty before you go. Also, if the weather warms up you may want to think about riding first thing in the morning. Apart from that you'll both have a real hoot out there. Its beautiful
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    water, energy bars, a good sense of direction, are all a must...if you aren't riding with someone who has done the circuit, you'll spend a decent amount of time trying to figure out which way to go...but you can do it. We cut an hour off our time the second time we rode there simply because we didn't stop to scratch our arse at every intersection...

We started at Stilling Basin where the Big Wooden Map has a little holder for maps. Make sure you take one. It's hard to go too far wrong if you (generally) just keep the lake on your right (or left).

With few points to bail out, make sure you also have some tools...
    It is an awesome ride. Do it once and you'll be hooked!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mud

Blue Marsh is my local trail. With all the rain we've had the past week, I would recommend waiting for dryer conditions. The soil is clay based and gets very gooey after a rain. Your bike will become 20 lbs heavier pretty quick.

Members who have read this thread: 0