Blue Marsh Trail Conditions???? For Sunday AM.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blue Marsh Trail Conditions???? For Sunday AM.

Have a group ride scheduled for Sunday morning June 14 at Blue Marsh. How are the trails? Did you get as much rain as we have closer to Philadelphia? Thanks for your help.-Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm 20 min. north of Blue Marsh. We got a pretty good dump of rain early and mid-afternoon. I expect BM to be pretty muddy. I'll be at French Creek tomorrow, and I expect it to be pretty muddy too (but not as bad as Blue Marsh).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How was it? I was there friday, the 12th, and it was a mix of moist to wet. Some sections were nice and soft while others were pure swamp muck. It seemed to vary greatly within only a few yards.

I started out at the Lake road parking lot down from the Church Road one, and went down the paved road section and turned right. It was bad in places up until I got to the stream crossing (very un mtb friendly bridge there) and there were spots in the double track that were muddy too, but they were easy to avoid. I climbed the gravel hill, and turned around after that as I didn't have much time unfortunately.

There was one section on the little ridge before the descent to the stream crossing that was the consistency of wet cake. I tried to avoid it, but I ended up covered in glue like mud that would not shed off my tires easily. That sucked as I was descending...

Overall the area I was in was bad in spots but not terrible. I felt a little guilty after tearing up a few spots though. So that was my little jaunt as of friday the 12th.

Is it better now? I was thinking of going by myself on thursday some time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was over there today 6/16 started at the sillin basin and headed over to 183 there was about 8 really soft spots and only one place that had water standing but that was more closer to church road about maybe a mile or so in from across the road bridge not at the guard rail that is always muddy and if we get rain thursday then forget it till saturday or go to MT Penn

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was there today too. Rode from Stilling Basin to 183. The soft spots were small and easily manageable. Good conditions overall. Will be great until the next rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We Cancelled Our Ride

Given the conditions and that there was more rain since Friday we cancelled our trip to Blue Marsh. We didn't want to leave 8 to 10 more sets of ugly scars on the trails. We might reschedule to July Fourth. Are there any big events happening at Blue Marsh on the July Fourth weekend? -Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I am not going out tomorrow like I wanted to either. First because I have a lot to do, and second the weather forecast looks pretty crappy. Looking at the 10 day doesn't give me much hope for riding there next week either given my schedule. This weather is driving me nuts. I've got more miles on my friggin couch this year then my mountain bike, and that is a sad state of affairs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nearby Mt. Penn drains really well, and is always rideable. There are a few spots to avoid on a soggy day, but there's always great riding to be done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey tduro how is the shoulder coming,I guess ok if your on the bike at blue marsh.I should have a raffle to see who can pick a date when blue marsh will dry out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad
    Hey tduro how is the shoulder coming,I guess ok if your on the bike at blue marsh.I should have a raffle to see who can pick a date when blue marsh will dry out.
    Jim, I've been back in the saddle for a good while. Thanks for asking. I only took a week off, then started riding and running on the Tulpehocken path. I was riding some the easier Blue Marsh trails at 3 weeks, then the easier Mt. Penn trails at 4 weeks. It's been 9 weeks now. My shoulder is probably 80%, but my riding is 95%. I just have to focus on riding more smoothly (which is a good thing) and avoid too much jerking or jarring. And I've been keeping my wheels on the ground for the most part. I can't risk falling on that shoulder again.

I'll be trying to ride between the raindrops this weekend. I broke the frame on my Gary Fisher last weekend, so I'm riding my son's HT, which is a little on the small side for me, and has a steeper head angle and lower BB than I'm used to. It's a little rougher on the shoulder, but it'll get me by until my GF is fixed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just got back from a sweet ride with the boy's on Mt Penn,conditions are pretty good considering all the rain,some areas are soft and should be ridden with care.we broke in a new flow line just recently completed,and stone henge two has bloodied everyone whose tried to ride it,you could call it AM trialsin,complicated connecting rock lines and features....very addicting and challenging.any one up for a technical challenge should come up and ride with us."warning" brutal on bikes and bodies!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Blue Marsh is back in shape, for the most part, and will be fine until the next rain. The usual mud holes are a little muddier than usual, but the overwhelming majority of the trail is nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was out yesterday afternoon and agree 100% with Tduro. I will add that certain 4 legged
    creatures and their owners tore up a few spots pretty bad. If we can get through the rest
    of the week with only a shower or two, the trails should be much better by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Don' t avoid the hoof prints...run'em down like a steamroller!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0