Blue Marsh Mulit-use trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Blue Marsh Mulit-use trails

I was up in Reading today for a business trip and brought along my bike to hit up Blue Marsh. Stopped by the rangers station and picked up a map and some tips on where to start and what to look out for.

Not 1/2 mile out I pass 2 hunters right near the trails. The rangers forgot to tell me you could hunt anywhere (1 ranger told me to watch out for some designated game land area not anywhere near the trail). Guess I should have looked at the postings on the board at the trailhead re: multi-use trails (hunting allowed everywhere). I turned back.

How safe is it to ride there during this time? Should I not go (I'll be back in the area next week)? Should I get some orange gear and blow caution to the wind?

Anybody know if there is hunting at French Creek at this time?

P.S. Beautiful scenery there.

Hoopy Frood

Hunting Seasons

You can get the dates for various hunting seasons at the PGC site:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=161003

This week is actually quiet(er) as deer season runs from November 28 - December 10 for firearms and bowhunting for deer ended on November 12. However, they could be hunting pheasant, grouse, or any other critters.

Hunting is allowed in state parks although how much area is open to hunting varies from park to park. Check French Creek's map for details:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/index.aspx

I generally try to avoid hunting areas during this time of year to give the hunters a chance to enjoy their sport. There are enough places to ride that don't allow hunting so I still get trail time. It's only a couple of weeks anyway.

If you do ride in a hunting area, definitely wear orange.

There's no hunting on Sundays, either, so you can ride anywhere then.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoe
    I was up in Reading today for a business trip and brought along my bike to hit up Blue Marsh. Stopped by the rangers station and picked up a map and some tips on where to start and what to look out for.

Not 1/2 mile out I pass 2 hunters right near the trails. The rangers forgot to tell me you could hunt anywhere (1 ranger told me to watch out for some designated game land area not anywhere near the trail). Guess I should have looked at the postings on the board at the trailhead re: multi-use trails (hunting allowed everywhere). I turned back.

How safe is it to ride there during this time? Should I not go (I'll be back in the area next week)? Should I get some orange gear and blow caution to the wind?

Anybody know if there is hunting at French Creek at this time?

P.S. Beautiful scenery there.
    Generally speaking, you're probably okay riding at Blue Marsh as long as you wear a lot of orange. The majority of the areas there populated by hunters are open fields and, like the ranger mentioned, areas that are off away from the multi-use. That's not to say you won't run into hunters on the trail but, hopefully, they'll be carrying guns and not shooting them.

French Creek on the other hand, is insane during certain times of year. I was always under the impression that most people hunted in the area that's sort of east of 345, just north of Shed Rd (i.e. away from all of the trails that run through various parts of the park.

Wrong. I was out there one saturday last fall and saw ~ 30 people, spread out along the lenape (green) trail just in the small area between shed rd and the campground access road, and too many others to count elsewhere...all situated within spitting distance of the trails. Many of them un-supervised kids (maybe 10 - 12 yrs old) with .22s and teen-agers with shotguns. Suffice to say I got the hell out of there and went home.

Sunday is mostly safe, unless you somehow end up on private property.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Hunting isn’t supposed to be legal in PA on sundays. So it should be safe on sundays to ride. But you will probably still see hunters out french creek and Blue Marsh are big parks and the guards cant be every ware.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sunday hunters

There seems to be a misunderstanding going on. General hunting on Sunday is prohibited. However, crows may be hunted on Sunday. Anyone hunting crows is required to wear 250 square inches of orange on the head, chest and back. Crow season starts December 30, 2005 and runs through April 2, 2006. I know that there are no where near the amount of crow hunters as there are deer hunters, but caution should still be taken. I just don't want you to be suprised to see a hunter or two. Something makes me think that there is another animal that can be taken on Sundays but I can't find it listed anywhere.

I have yet to ride the Blue Marsh trails. It's definitely on my priority list for 2006. Happy riding!

Rat Fink
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Many of them un-supervised kids (maybe 10 - 12 yrs old) with .22s and teen-agers with shotguns.
    If you're seeing unsupervised 10-12 year olds with guns, it's time to contact the rangers or game wardens. Their daddies need to pay some fines.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Members who have read this thread: 0