Blue Marsh Friday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Blue Marsh Friday

If anybody on here would be interested I'm going to venture up to blue marsh on Friday and ride for awhile, I should be there sometime between 11 and noon. If anyone wants to join and ride with a relative beginner just let me know and I'll give you my contact info.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just to reiterate, I've never been to blue marsh I'm just really into exploring and riding new places since I didn't grow up in the state. Is blue marsh an ok place to ride solo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Blue Marsh is fine for riding solo, just be aware that if you start on the big loop around the lake there really isn't a good bailout point. Water can also be tough to come by. I recommend parking at the location below and riding counter clockwise around the lake, since that will give you a water stop at the visitors center towards the end of the ride.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.40...3&z=18&iwloc=A

Chilling out
    I second both the counter-clockwise rotation, as that lets you minimize sun exposure later in your ride, and the Church Rd lot as that makes it trivial to jump in the lake after riding, for cool down.

mtbr member
    Is there a good loop to ride if you're not riding the whole thing? I'm looking to go ride there tomorrow with a friend who is more of a beginner. Not sure he can go the whole way so we probably have to loop it somehow. Recommended parkign spot? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've only ridden up there once and I don't know of a good short loop, I parked at old church road before the bridge which is a pretty good place to park, sorry I can't be more help.

mtbr member
    No problem and thanks! Did you ride the whole thing? My buddy isn't too fit I'm scard he won't make it and I'll have to explain to his wife what happened.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I did do the whole thing, 27 miles! I connected with a couple guys that helped me through! I got lost a couple times so the 27 miles might be more like 25 for the whole loop. Your welcome for the help!!

mtbr member
    Awesome! How long did it take to finish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It took me 4 hours and 9 min to go the whole way around the lake. 27.1 miles! But like I said I got turned around a couple times so it's not really 27 to go the whole way around

mtbr member
    There is always the upper loop, it's about 7 miles. Church Rd. north and it involves the old ski slope. If you go clockwise from the Church Rd. parking lot, the last 3 miles or so are fairly flat.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. We parked at State Hill Boat launch at the mile 2 marker. Only made it to mile 9 and some guys got tired so we turned around. I've never ridden such nice singletracks. I'm use to rocks and roots and it was pretty fun and fast. Next time I may just go solo and do the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just rode the whole thing today (28 miles for me, and several wrong turns), it was a fun run! I think I somehow missed the loop near the old ski hill, even though I was trying to find it, But.... It would have been a real killer for me if I didn't run it in my E-bike (I know, I cheated) - but I did it in about 2 hours. I would fully expect this to take 4-5 hours for a normal rider. Some of the hills were so steep that I had to go into maximum assist, and still pedal REALLY hard to keep the thing moving! About 3 miles from the stilling basin (where I parked) the E-bike gave out, and then I was pedaling a 60lb bicycle up a good grade!

There are very few "flat" sections. Hills hills hills. On the entire ride (admittedly, it was mid-day on a Monday) I saw exactly 4 people on the entire trail, 2 of which just seemed to be hanging out. That was just a little creepy to me (probably un necessarily) but I am used to riding on more populated trails.

I would like to try this on my Raleigh m80, but no one I know wants to ride this whole trail, and I'm not sure I want to go by myself, I'm not even sure I can do it with my current fitness level on the normal bike, but hey I'd like to try. I'm only hauling 165lbs, but I basically never run that hard that long so it would really be a test of my endurance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    keep your f#ckin e-motorcycle off the trails!

if i saw you out there you'd get an earful from me that is for sure! i don't mean to start an e-bike war on this thread but let me make it clear that these things are illegal on all trails around here. all park trails i know of are designated to be used by non-motorized vehicles.

that is all...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This thread is a great read for me. I have not lived in the Reading area for 25 years, but I grew up going to Blue Marsh and skiing at the old hill (Heidelburg). I hear that mountain biking around Reading is really good these days. I think there was one trail when I was riding there, so good on you guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    keep your f#ckin e-motorcycle off the trails!

if i saw you out there you'd get an earful from me that is for sure! i don't mean to start an e-bike war on this thread but let me make it clear that these things are illegal on all trails around here. all park trails i know of are designated to be used by non-motorized vehicles.

that is all...
    Well for one you'd have to notice it was an e-bike, and 99% of people don't unless they really take a good hard look at it. Just looks like it has an odd box where the water bottle would be and a huge gearless drive rear hub.

I have come upon park rangers before with it, one ask me (pointing to the battery) if it was a tool box, so most people apparently arent even aware it is an e-bike. I did have one see me pull off (with out pedaling) and he ask me if it was electric. when I said yep, all he wanted to know was where he could get one and how much it cost... I think I'll be ok for now.

But, I do want to do this under my own power! I only really use anything but the lowest level of assist (or nothing) anywhere but the blacktop unless I encounter a "super hill" - I can get to the local trails without putting the bike in my car, or burning a drop of gasoline, and still do 25MPH up hill...

But hey, I don't want to be breaking any laws. If it really is that big of a deal I'll not use it at all on trail. I don't "need" the help, I do like it though.