Blue Marsh- Mtbr.com

Thread: Blue Marsh

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Blue Marsh

I've never taken the time to read any of the posts on Blue Marsh, but would like to know a few things please.

Is this the trail near Reading that is like a 30 mile loop, supposedly rated by one of the major outdoor magazines as one of the best epic rides in the East? If so, is it mostly single track, fire road, intermediate or beginner friendly?

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if anyone is rating that as one of the best epic rides in the east they are not my type of rider...

it isn't bad for what it is and you can get a nice long loop in there but it lacks technical challenges for the most part and is not my top choice for riding if i am going to be in that area.

it is a mix of fireroad and singletrack with a few decent climbs but other than a few small sections nothing other han pure highspeed wide open trails.

other than the length it is totally beginner friendly.

good place to get a workout but not what i'd consider super fun mountainbiking... but opinions vary widely and some people love the place.

i say it is worth checking out at least once to see for yourself!

Feb 2007
    its not a bad place to ride a few times to check out . i think its more XC racer/roadie style trails . if you ride the whole loop it is an epic 30 mile ride . i ride there once a week just cause its close . right now the horses have it trashed . in the summer it is like hardpack fast . it is not technical there are almost no rocks or rooty sections or log xings compaired to most east coast rides , but some of the singletrack is real nice and the faster you ride it the funner it gets . i like french creek or mt penn ( in same area ) much better . on a trip to area i'd hit all 3 places for an epic weekend .

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ditto the above. Non-technical, fast track, with some challenging hills. Another thing to consider is that it drains very poorly. It's a mucky, manure-y mess long after everything else has dried. And it's not a good mud, either. Ride it when it's dry. Mt. Penn is the only place to go in wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Ditto the above. Non-technical, fast track, with some challenging hills. Another thing to consider is that it drains very poorly. It's a mucky, manure-y mess long after everything else has dried. And it's not a good mud, either. Ride it when it's dry. Mt. Penn is the only place to go in wet conditions.
    Well I'm taking a week of vacation at the end of May/early June and was just contemplating riding this once and for all. I'm going to look up some pictures and info to see if it looks worth riding to me. Thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    When I first got into riding 2 years ago my friend told me that the Blue Marsh trail system was rated one of the top ten rides. I don't remember if that was in the country or east coast or what but it is def. a challenging 32 miles of trail. I have heard of people doing the whole loop in less than 3 hours. Its crazy. There are a couple of longer extended climbs and a bunch of shorter steeper climbs too. If you go in the summer bring plenty of water. I would recommend this trail to try. If you like technical then you would love French Creek and Mt. Penn/Antietam area. You will def. need to go with someone at Mt. Penn because there are no trail markings or maps of the trails, but they are the most awesome around!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0