Biking and camping- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Biking and camping

Anyone have a suggestion for the best places to spending a weekend camping that also offers riding?

If you're talking about structured State Park camping, French Creek is one of the better options. You can start riding right from your campsite. You're close to Mt Penn as well, if you can find someone to show you around. Raystown's another good option.

If you're talking about primitive camping, there's tons of options, starting with Rothrock.

mtbr member
    I would agree with Raystown, you can camp at Susquehannock Campground tents or campers (which I dont understand) and basically ride to the trail head. The lake offers fishing as well. It truly is a great place to spend the wknd and have some other activities in addition to biking. And BTW...the biking is Awsome!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

What region of PA; what type of riding?

Lots of options. If you could list what part of the state you are interested in and what type of trails you are looking for; that would help.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Big Bear Lake West Virginia...

...bar none the best ever!

The 24 hour races are run here and the camping is super!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In addition to the above, add to the list:
    - Bald Eagle State Forest and RB Winter SP (west of Lewisburg).
    - The Tiadaghton and Tioga State Forests (Lycoming, Tioga and Potter counties) and adjacent SPs.
    - All the riding around State College in the Rothrock and Moshannon State Forest lands.

How to camp in a PA State Forest: PA*DCNR*-*Camping

Rolling on 650b
    Blackwater Falls state park, West Virginia.

Craploads of trails, many ride-able from the campground. Favorites : Lead Mine -about 15 min away, Plantation starting at the campground.
    Good bike shop right in town.
    Excellent food at good prices in town - recommend Siraian's and Hellbender Burritos
    Small outdoor/camping store in town for anything you forget.
    TWO local microbreweries !!!
    Live bands weekends at the Purple Fiddle in Thomas (5 min up the road), and at Mountain State brewery.
    Campground is clean and fairly quiet.
    Did I mention the Microbreweries? And the awesome trails?
    Timberline ski resort just down the road has lift assisted downhill if you're too tired to pedal up any more.

mtbr member
    I am in the eastern part if PA.. Checking out some of these now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    For the eastern part of the state, I'm familiar with French Creek. Awesome, classic east coast trails. Never camped there. The State College area is really worth checking out. I'm planning a camping trip to Greenwood Furnace State Park, just south of State College. I've never been there, but it looks pretty nice. Tons of trails accessible from the park. Go to purple lizard maps for a great map of the Rothrock state forest. I had a Thread last year for camping / riding in western PA and MD. Lots of good responses; you can probably still find the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lampeterbiker View Post
    For the eastern part of the state, I'm familiar with French Creek. Awesome, classic east coast trails. Never camped there. The State College area is really worth checking out. I'm planning a camping trip to Greenwood Furnace State Park, just south of State College. I've never been there, but it looks pretty nice. Tons of trails accessible from the park. Go to purple lizard maps for a great map of the Rothrock state forest. I had a Thread last year for camping / riding in western PA and MD. Lots of good responses; you can probably still find the thread.
    Good call on Greenwood. I forgot that they had camping facilities there. Great access to ST right from the park. Last time I rode there I got the feeling that that area of Rothroth sees a lot less traffic than the Tussey Mt area. Good stuff.

Rolling on 650b
    Greenwood's a nice area with a good selection of trails close by, but it's seriously lacking on the 'extras'. Like something to do at night if its raining.... Fiddle music and Microbreweries!! Sorry - I just love the Davis WV area.

Members who have read this thread: 0