bike ???- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike ???

mtbr member

bike ???

i am thinking about buying a cannondale 29er . what do you think about the 29er over the full substantion bike ? ( sorry if i spelled that wrong )

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    29er is kinda like full squish I really love my 29er

Wizard of the Trail
    Fatbike!!!!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

banned
    Apr 2009
    my first MTB 3 years ago was a 29er. I made the right choice then..

--OP, If you want ALOT of responses you should post this on the 29er forum

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Geist called it...fatbike!!! just got back from the Moon and

the fat bike is awesome for that type of terrain. Coincidentally, I have a Cannondale 29er that I bought about three years ago and my two month old rigid fat bike is way, way more fun to ride than the lefty 29er!! If you decide to post this question in the 29er forum then be sure to do likewise in the fatbike forum just to make things interesting!

Better yet, get a ride on a fatbike and see if you like it. I rode dirt rider's white pugs for only a few minutes around the entrance of Nature;s Way and even though it felt a little small I knew I had to get a fat bike asap!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm not sure what a "full substantion bike" is, but I do not think you need one. Maybe a Schwinn Hybrid??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paroxnstuff View Post
    I'm not sure what a "full substantion bike" is, but I do not think you need one. Maybe a Schwinn Hybrid??
    ok i did say i spelled it wrong . and a hybrid will not work for what i ride . thanks for your input !

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    After owning a 29er sus and ridden several more,I have found them not to my liking for the type of terrain and style I mostly ride.but that being said I still have a hardtail 29 when I want to ride all out XC specific trails ( lot less tech many more miles and climbing ).

mtbr member
    Too bad you can't put an idiot filter on your threads Kim.
    I think Tech puts it best. You have to find what fits your style and terrain. Jump on everyone's bike that fits and ride. It will be a good gauge for what's best for you.
    I ride the same terrain with my 26" SS as I do with my 29" SS and my 29" FS. Each of them offer something different. So far the 29" SS wins for me. Climbs like a Mt. Goat.
    ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How tall are you? What type of riding do you do? What is your budget?

I ride a Pugsley but in April it will be being replaced most of the time by a full suspension 29er all-mountain bike. Depends on what trail I'm on. I love my fatbike though.

I would strongly suggest looking at 650b depending on what and how you ride and your height. A lot of people are flocking to 29er when 650b probably would be a better choice.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 02-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kim:

Decide what your going to ride more, are you going to jump, ride cross country(like da mOOn), or something else? A 29er would be great for XC, as would a Fat Bike, try them first then decide, cause you have a 26erFull Suspension that you ride now!

From riding with you I see that you like to "trail" ride, so a 29er hardtail(meaning it has only a front suspension fork) would work also, and cost less. If you buy a hard tail, the money you save by not going full suspension could be put towards getting a hardtail with better parts.

I know we talked 29er singlespeed, but not as your only bike, 29er singlespeeds are a great second bike!

Chilling out
    +1 to what Got-Bike!! said, you need to try before you buy, if you can.

Dave, part of that climbing like a goat is the fact that you're a goat ... it's not just the bike.

Gurrl, different full-suspension bikes also ride and feel very different, don't categorize them into one behavioral envelope based upon only riding 2 or 3. There are MANY different types of FS bike and they are all tuned a bit differently ( XC oriented vs Trail oriented vs Freeride oriented vs Downhill oriented vs Dirt Jumping vs ....). Even within one manufacturer and one style of suspension the bikes will feel different.

And, unsurprisingly, a 29er vs a 26er FS of the same overall design will also likely feel very different.

Last I saw you're riding a bit of an aggressive single-pivot full-suspension 26er. A 29er hard-tail that is not any heavier overall will both feel slower yet easier to ride in many way, but change what is challenging in other ways.

A 29er hard-tail / rigid is *not* like having a short-travel 26er. It's a bunch easier on the body than a rigid/hard-tail 26er, larger wheels do NOT behave like suspension, not even on a high quality steel frame bike (like my Niner MCR).

Warning, what follows is MASSIVE GENERALIZATION and based upon a large amount of observing the infighting/discussion between fan-boys on both sides of the fence, and on my personal experience of having a 29er to ride since spring 2009 (and 26ers of various types starting in '87) ...

Build and component quality, and overall geometry, and intended use being equivalent between the two ...

- 29er will accellerate a little slower and require more effort (larger wheels require that) to get going
    - 29er will tend to hold momentum more easily
    - 29er will roll over trail bumps (rocks, roots, logs) more easily
    - 29er will tend to be more stable
    - 29er will tend to be less agile / harder to turn (steering input)
    - 29er will tend to be less flick-able (larger wheel rotation mass)
    - 29er tends to induce more sense of sitting "in" and not "on" bike
    - 29er tends to be harder to lift front wheel off ground
    - 29er tends to be harder to endo on going down obstacles / bumpy stuff
    - 29er tends to slip less (longer contact patch of tire on ground)
    - 29er can use narrower tire than 26er for same use (e.g. 29er 2.2 ~= 26er 2.35)

Note that all of the "perceived shortcomings" of 29ers are pretty much moot in current mid-/high-quality bikes. Wheel weight is effectively mitigated by using narrower tires / lighter tubes / different rim weights). Handling geometry of the 29er is no longer based upon the 26er, but has evolved from a LOT of input of the rider community and is pretty dialed-in so you really can't compare the two much by-the-numbers.

So, if you're thinking about buying a new bike for yourself (which I always endorse, it's fun and cool!) my best advice comes down to

1. Know your spending limits, make a budget, stick to it!
    2. Know what kind of riding you want to do
    3. Try as many different bikes as you can, even if only for 10 minutes on the trail near the trail-head, swapping out with someone, even if the bike doesn't fit perfectly
    4. Be patient, there are a TON of bikes out there to try
    5. Smile!

If you have a shop you're going through, and you know it, talk to them about demo-before-purchase and other activities. Some bike shops rent bikes and apply rental fees to cost of purchase.

FWIW, while I'll probably always have a FS 26er in my stable for downhill and craziness, my main go-to bikes are definitely moving to 29ers.

FWIW2, one day I'll have a Fat Bike, but that's a bit out yet. I know they're fun but I think the more main stream rides are still better for all year, for me, than a Fat Bike.

mtbr member
    ^ Can you repeat that?
    ahh...the sound of my hub when I coast.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-Bike!! View Post
    ^ Can you repeat that?
    No, my keyboard is empty.

I can't even add that my 29er is about 13 pounds lighter than my 26er.

wounded knee
    Bear gave you a lot to think about, and I really cant add anything to it..........other than each bike has it's own ride, and it's own strong points.
    The Fat bike just inspires confidence on rock crossings, most of the obstacles the first time I tried them was on the fat bike.
    The hardtail is fast agile, and climbs like a goat.
    The full suspension is like a pillow , the faster you go, the better it feels.
    My bikes are probably to big for you and Mini or I would bring all 3 and we could take turns switching off and on the bikes seeing what one you liked best. I really think you would like the Fat Bike it's just so much fun to ride, and the big tires will give you confidence.
    Let me know if you want to try any of them.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Chilling out
    Yeah, I could bring a teeny seat post and she could try my Niner out, may be long in the top-tube though and stretch her out for the bars. Still, it's an option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can definitely try my Gary Fisher 29 er. It has a medium frame. I will try to make it to the Moon the next time you are there.

mtbr member
    I believe my fatty is a smaller frame size than d6's so if you would like to try a fatbike you're more than welcome to ride mine. I agree with dirtrider6 that the fatbike offers a more stable ride and inspires more confidence over technical terrain. The only thing is it has more rolling resistance due to the wide tires so a little extra effort is needed when peddling.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Try them all...

You are welcome to stop by Sickler's and try 29'er hard tails, full-suspension bikes, and fat bikes. We have them all! We have lots on 2012 Cannondale 29'er hard tails and they even come in size small. I don't know how tall you are, but we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new XS size Niner EMD hard tail frames.

It's always best to try as many different types as you can so you have something tangible to base your decision on.

mtbr member
    i will ride any of the bikes . i will say i am taller then mini . so i can ride a small or med i dont know about lg . i am 5' 4 .5" so i give any a try . if i can pedal mini downhiller at da moon i think i can ride almost anything lol .

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

This thread is officially in overload...

..bandwidth has been stressed, MTBR might shut down!

Must add more!

I think you should build a carbon 29er with front Fat Bike rigid fork canti brake, with suspension stem,(throwback to the 1980s) a 650B rear FS kick back 2 speed coaster brake!

Why be run of the mill... LOL

mtbr member
    i am really leaning toward the cannondale 29 er . mini has a good fleet of cannondales . 2 perps , profit , f3 with the lefty , and the quik . why not add the 29er .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by momobiker View Post
    You are welcome to stop by Sickler's and try 29'er hard tails, full-suspension bikes, and fat bikes. We have them all! We have lots on 2012 Cannondale 29'er hard tails and they even come in size small. I don't know how tall you are, but we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new XS size Niner EMD hard tail frames.

It's always best to try as many different types as you can so you have something tangible to base your decision on.
    what is 2012 cannondale selling for there ? i need a small 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffgrrl View Post
    i will ride any of the bikes . i will say i am taller then mini . so i can ride a small or med i dont know about lg . i am 5' 4 .5" so i give any a try . if i can pedal mini downhiller at da moon i think i can ride almost anything lol .
    At 5"4 i dont know if you would want to hop on a 29er.. just my .02
    I think you should try one out, but hold onto you cash until you do.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    At 5"4 i dont know if you would want to hop on a 29er.. just my .02
    I think you should try one out, but hold onto you cash until you do.
    why?

the days of 29ers not being built to fit riders at and under 5' are long gone.

big S, T, and smaller companies like Niner all have stock bikes that fit people in her size range just fine.

Wizard of the Trail
    ^ well said!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    i am really leaning toward the cannondale 29 er . mini has a good fleet of cannondales . 2 perps , profit , f3 with the lefty , and the quik . why not add the 29er .
    Gotta love MINI!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Gotta love MINI!
    I do with all my heart !

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    ^ well said!
    So, did you ride da moon yet?

mtbr member
    I do with all my heart !
    Aloha Tuff. You and Mini Rock!

Pose this question in the Woman's Lounge as well, lots of "shorter" women chatting about shorter women and 29ers there.

Wish you were here, you could test ride my Turner Spot as well, it's got 26 rear, 650b front.

Edit: Oops Tuff, sorry, saw that you posted over there already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha Tuff. You and Mini Rock!

Pose this question in the Woman's Lounge as well, lots of "shorter" women chatting about shorter women and 29ers there.

Wish you were here, you could test ride my Turner Spot as well, it's got 26 rear, 650b front.

Edit: Oops Tuff, sorry, saw that you posted over there already.
    Wwish I could test ride . Thanks G !

Wizard of the Trail
    Not yet. We are thinking on Saturday. We both have fatties, so it won't matter what the weather is like. The bikes remind me of the honey badger, it don't care. Especially notice it on wet roots. We'll have to get together for a ride sometime.

Tuff girl, what I would do if your set on a 9er is make sure it fits you top tube wise. Secondly would be standover, but it's not as crucial as TT length. There is no reason you can't ride a 9er. Don't stick with cannondale if it doesnt fit. Look at alot of bikes and go by fit not brand. I'm on a medium 907 fatbike and a fisher x-cal 9er. I am only 5'7"tall. Some people claim I should be on a small, but my LBS put me on medium because he felt I would be cramped on a small frame. Love it. I don't have much standover, but it isn't that big of a deal. Also, I would stay with a hardtail vs FS. Just my take on things.

mtbr member
    OMG..you gave me neg rep for offering an opinion ? dude your [email protected]$ked up!!
    and you know our paths will cross soon.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    ok anyone with a 29er riding at da m00n tomarrow ?????? i would love to ride one on the trails .

wounded knee
    I plan on being there around 12, only have a couple hours though, I'm bringing the FS 29er, could also bring the Fatbike if your interested, we could switch off and on.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am going at noon....dont know if it am riding the SS or hardtail yet....depends on how crappy I still feel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    I plan on being there around 12, only have a couple hours though, I'm bringing the FS 29er, could also bring the Fatbike if your interested, we could switch off and on.
    that would be great chuck ! thank you !

mtbr member
    yesterday i stoped by Sicklers and rode three different 29er. i am in love !

mtbr member
    ok i made up my mind . i am getting a 29er ! Thanks dirt rider 6 and rrhines for the uses of bikes . i also rode his fat bike . love it also but i am going to get a 29er !

mtbr member

some bike pics of me trying different 29er and the fat bike

bike ???-dsc00440.jpg

bike ???-dsc00458.jpg

bike ???-dsc00460.jpg

had a great time trail testing !

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Demo Day at the Moon! LOL....

I have to admit, both you and Mini rode great on the 29'ers.

Wizard of the Trail
    Well, glad you at least tried a fatbike. My friend and I rode the moon on our fatbikes on Saturday. We just missed Chuck. Anyway, we got a good ride in and my friend decided to take a dip on dark. I just dipped a toe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Well, glad you at least tried a fatbike. My friend and I rode the moon on our fatbikes on Saturday. We just missed Chuck. Anyway, we got a good ride in and my friend decided to take a dip on dark. I just dipped a toe.
    i would get one as a second bike . it was so fun riding it !

Wizard of the Trail
    i would get one as a second bike . it was so fun riding it !
    That's what I said. Lol.

wounded knee
    Link to a video from the ride.

http://forums.mtbr.com/9070952-post25.html
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Pictures from the ride.

Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member

i am gtting a 29er hardtail !

yesterday ride on the 26er fs make up my mind. the winner is a 29er hardtail. when i rode the bike i normally ride was like i dont like this bike anymore . hopefully this week i will have a new bike !!!! mini wants one too !

Wizard of the Trail
    yesterday ride on the 26er fs make up my mind. the winner is a 29er hardtail. when i rode the bike i normally ride was like i dont like this bike anymore . hopefully this week i will have a new bike !!!! mini wants one too !
    That does not surprise me in the least. I have a FS 26er that I don't ride because of the 29er. Now, my 29er is getting the same treatment because the fatbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The money that you save buying a hardtail you could purchase a thudbuster for those days you could use a little cush, just be advised the thudbuster will push you up off your seat if you really compress it,those trails you ride look like the stuff we ride about an hour and a half south of you (Reading)

Wizard of the Trail
    I would try and score a steel frame over the aluminum. The ride is a little more compliant vs alum. Also, you should try a thudbuster before you buy it. I had one and it just felt like a cheap full suspension bike with it. That's just my opinion. I wish those posts had some sort of rebound control.

Members who have read this thread: 0