Big Wiss loop length?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Wiss loop length?

Hey G's quick question:

Say you ride as large a loop at wiss as possible within reason keeping it legal. Staying green/yellow/white/orange blazes. What is the approx. length there? I aint got no computer man!

thanks,
    t

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    my usual route starts at northwestern ave and picks up the east side of the creek at bells mill road. i ride this down to lincoln drive then down to the bridal path. bike along the path across the 2 bridges and up the steep paved path on the right after the 2nd bridge. at the top of this path is where hermit ln and daisy drive meet, unfortuatnely i don't know if this path has a name. if you have the fairmount park commission map it is at marker 28. at the top of the path i pick up the trail on the right and take this all the way back to widowmaker at bells mill road. then finish up the half mile on the bridal path to northwestern ave. this route is exactly 16 miles.

there is the potential of a longer route, probably around 19 miles. when you get to lincoln drive rather than head down to the bridal path you can cross over lincoln and pick up another setion of trail that will drop you off at where lincoln drive and ridge ave. meet. from there you need to take the bridal path back to the steep paved road (it will be on your left). unfortunately none of the trails on the west side of the creek between ridge ave and the steep path are legal and even if they were i don't know that there is a complete trail for that stretch. i don't normally do this longer loop because the section of trail between lincoln and ridge is not well maintained.
    Last edited by lanceh; 04-12-2006 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    there is the potential of a longer route, probably around 19 miles. when you get to lincoln drive rather than head down to the bridal path you can cross over lincoln and pick up another setion of trail that will drop you off at where lincoln drive and ridge ave. meet. from there you need to take the bridal path back to the steep paved road (it will be on your left). unfortunately none of the trails on the west side of the creek between ridge ave and the steep path are legal and even if they were i don't know that there is a complete trail for that stretch. i don't normally do this longer loop because the section of trail between lincoln and ridge is not well maintained.
    so you think that whole side over there is illegal for bikes? interesting...

i could show you the loop over there sometime. fun stuff but hardly anyone rides it so you usually end up having to do a little hike-abike and trail work in sections to keep it rideable.

maybe next weekend?

thanks for the info that it is 16 miles! i never knew. you ever try it backwards? i really like it the other way but the end going my way is positively brutal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    well, i'm basing my statement of legality from the fact that on the fairmount park commission map there is no trail listed on the west side. the east side is listed but just not kept up as well as the rest of the park. i've been over there a number of times but never found anything that completely connects ridge/lincoln to the paved path.

i'm always down for learning new routes.

the loop i currently run i started doing last year. this is after about 10 years (on and off, mostly off) of doing it the other direction. i consider my way clockwise and your way counter clockwise.

i think we'll all agree the east side of the creek is much more difficult than the west side.

Mar 2004
    I used to think it is up around 20 but, realistically, if you ride every trail in a legit loop (no out and back involved), I think it's more around 16, maybe 17. I did a long training ride there Monday, I did 31.4 miles (about 2 loops and a little extra) in 3 hours, 19 minutes (without stopping).

It is still such a great place to ride.
    It seems easier though than it used to...less rocks or something.

mtbr member

Thanks yall!

I have been starting at the Valley Green Inn area heading on yellow towards lincoln drive before you get to lincoln I have been taking some trails that go past some bmx style jumps near a playground, it kinda loops behind some houses comes to some stairs (looking for a better route here) that go down to the river walk thing. take that around over a couple bridges to a left on a gravel path behind some historic house or something that seems to connect to white trails then back towards vg road pick up orange up to bells mills over to where yellow picks up then dumps you on some street, over a hill to a where is seems a less-used portion of yellow starts up on the left goes past some apartment building (nice section of trail-swoopy) then back the vg inn area.

Sorry bout the vagueness, just sorta figuring the area out.

-t

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    It seems easier though than it used to...less rocks or something.
    maybe it seems easier casue your a freakin animal... two loops? 30+ miles of that? in just over 3 hours?wow!

Respect Your Trails
    Yea, that it a pretty sick time and distance for the wissy.

They've done a lot of trail work and re-routing there due to the storms and flooding a few years back. A lot of rocks and natural obsticles have been removed and the trails have been smoothed with waterbars replacing rocks. Good and bad I guess. I've personally done trailwork there and it is desperatly needed to keep the trails in decent, long lasting shape. But doing so has taken a lot of the natural character the trails used to have.

It is still such a great place to ride.
    It seems easier though than it used to...less rocks or something.[/QUOTE]

wot no bike?
    FYI once you pass the "bmx style jumps", known as The Bowl, there is no other way to loop yourself around without backtracking or continuing for a bit and taking the concrete walkway along the creek by "the stairs", known as the Hundred Steps. The woods at this point has pretty much tappered-off into residental and the concrete path until it terminates at Ridge Ave.

-p

mtbr member
    thanks pahearn, guys.

Respect Your Trails
    Sounds like, from your description, you've got it covered man. I mapped out what I think you have covered on your normal ride..... yea, I don't feel like doing my job today.

Quote Originally Posted by toad
    I have been starting at the Valley Green Inn area heading on yellow towards lincoln drive before you get to lincoln I have been taking some trails that go past some bmx style jumps near a playground, it kinda loops behind some houses comes to some stairs (looking for a better route here) that go down to the river walk thing. take that around over a couple bridges to a left on a gravel path behind some historic house or something that seems to connect to white trails then back towards vg road pick up orange up to bells mills over to where yellow picks up then dumps you on some street, over a hill to a where is seems a less-used portion of yellow starts up on the left goes past some apartment building (nice section of trail-swoopy) then back the vg inn area.

Sorry bout the vagueness, just sorta figuring the area out.

-t
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    maybe it seems easier casue your a freakin animal... two loops? 30+ miles of that? in just over 3 hours?wow!
    Thanks, Max. Yeah, I have been debating that in my head (whether Wiss has changed or I'm just getting better), but like that climb/downhill right after Valley Green, they defintely paved that down a bit in the last six months (and a few other places). I started riding at Wiss, and used to think that no human being could possibly ride it...I thought it was physically impossible. (sounds funny now)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    not to take away from your animality because 2 loops in 3 hours is quite impressive but the park has absolutely gotten much much easier over the past 4 years or so. i can think of half a dozen specific places that have been smoothed out by trail maintenance. the west side of the creek more than the east side.

on one hand it's a good thing because it makes the park safer and more manageable for those people just getting into mountain biking. i'm still amazed that when i started riding the park back in '96-'97 i survived it. it also means that people are continually working on the trails which is what every mountain bike park needs. without trail maintenance we all loose, big time.

the problem is that i feel the technical skill and strength required to conquor it has decreased. it scares me to think what the park will look like in another 10 years.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks dahoos, that actually helps me out. I think that is exactly the route I take.

Ya you guys are right, wiss is too easy. Thats why I ride it on my pink walmart Next fixed singlespeed fully rigid with flats, that loop only takes me a half hour.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ya you guys are right, wiss is too easy. Thats why I ride it on my pink walmart Next fixed singlespeed fully rigid with flats, that loop only takes me a half hour.
    huhuhu, hold on a sec. no one said it was easy, just easier than it used to be. there are a few climbs that i often wonder if i'll ever be able to complete.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the wiss is a great place to ride, and even tho i'v been riding there for a couple years, still has its challanges. i didn't read all the posts here tho. did anyone mention the trail length on the other side of lincoln drive. it starts at the falls and ends across the street from old rittenhouse town (or village?) lately, i've been a bigger belmont fan. maybe b/c its something new,and i'm still finding new trails. i haven't ridden wiss in a few weeks. maybe i'll head there after my new axle comes in (it snapped on me). as routine as wiss can get, if a million times more fun then being stuck with just a road bike for any length of time.

mtbr member
    I was joking, didn't mean to tweak any nipples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was joking, didn't mean to tweak any nipples.

haha, no tweekage at all. i didn't read that far down. i ride the wiss on a full ridged SS just not a cool chromed out Next.

Members who have read this thread: 0