Best Singletrack Trails in Northern Poconos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Best Singletrack Trails in Northern Poconos

Next weekend I'm going camping with a group of friends near Lakeville, PA. We are hoping to find some good trails to ride, preferably singletrack and/or technical. Any suggestions? We would like to keep it within a 30 minute drive from Lakeville, but if there's a really awesome trail 45 minutes away I'd definately like to hear about it.

So far, we're probably going to end up going to Promised Land State Park, but since none of us are from the area I figured some locals might know better spots. If not, any recommended trails at Promised Land? Again, preferably singletracks and/or technical trails.

Thanks for your help,

Cy

mtbr member
    Avoid Promise Land. Though Alex runs that now (formerly of the Lackawanna State Park, which does allow riding) Promise land doesn't allow riding. Instead, head over to Prompton.

You'll have some of the best riding in NEPA. It's not too far either (20 minutes?). It's 1/4 mile off of Rt.6- on Rt 170. Make your first right and you're there. Head up to the dam and cross it. As soon as you get up the first little hill (50 yds) you'll see a wooden sign. Make the right and continue up (4 yellow). https://www.hubbardbike.com/wordpres..._trail_map.jpg

The rest is up to you... BUT!!! I suggest you pay close attention on the one DH section. It's pretty wide and you'll have some speed going. DON'T MISS THE RIGHT! (trail 7). The red trail is the only trail I'd tell you to skip cause of how wet it is. It's always a mess.

Merli isn't too far either. Take Rt. 6 towards Scranton. (the Casey Highway) and get off at the Jermyn/Mayfield exit. This is Rt. 106. You'll go down a big hill to a stoplight. Continue straight for about 4-5 miles. You'll see a sign for a 4 way intersection. Make a right. (There's a sign for Takatches and Sleepy Hollow on the right.) Follow that road for about 2 miles and Merli is on your right. (just before rt. 107).
    https://www.hubbardbike.com/maps/merlimap.pdf

Both of these places offer some of the best riding in NEPA. Merli is more tech than Prompton with short options. But Prompton is more of a mandatory 13 mile minimum with a mix of smooth and tech. Have fun! Fahn

PS, don't be afraid to ask more or PM me for more info.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Merli Sarnoski and Prompton Dam. You won't find two better places to ride in north eastern PA.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow, thanks Larry. That is a big help. I didn't realize that Promised Land was a no ride zone. My friend suggested it probably just because it was the closest state park to where we'll be. I don't think we would have found Prompton or Merli without your help. I think we'll most likely check out Prompton. Seems like it's a good size with a little bit of everything. We'll have a slight range in abilities riding with us, so it's probably better than the more technical Merli. And more than likely, we'll follow your suggested route. Judging by the trail map, it looks like a good run.

Thanks again!

Cy

Members who have read this thread: 0