mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Best riding in Black Moshannon State Forest?

I'm planning on getting a day of riding in at black mo on the 8th... what should I plan to hit? I've ridden the YMCA race there the past two years, so I'm slightly familiar with those trails. I've been told there is some nice, technical riding from the parking area off 504 east of the dam. Unfortunately, these trails run off the PA DCNR map almost immediately. (MAP)

Tips from anyone familiar with the network are appreciated!
    Sana Cruz 5010v2---Rigid Surly 1x1 650b---CrossCheck

Rider
    If you like technical, I'd recommend Rock Run. I haven't been on it this year yet but may get there. I can print off a different map and highlight/re-scan and PDF it if you PM your email to me.

We typically have a group ride in BlackMo on Thursday night's at 5:30. We leave from beach parking lot. Depending on skill level and general trail conditions, we either head south or north from there.

With the weather like it has been, trails are wet and soggy now. Snow was present on Sunday (Oct 2nd).

If you've done the MoValley race, then your familiar with Star Mill, Ski Slope, AFT, Smay's. You can also head north of the dam up Shinglemill. You'll have some fireroad riding that way.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode Black Moshannon for the first time last week, and tried to do the Rattlesnake Mountain ride in the Griz guide. I got to the Fire tower, and then got on Rattlesnake trail. The trail markings seemed to go off in a different direction then the guidebook states, and the alternative did not look well traveled. I followed the markings and wound up way off route compared to the guidebook. From there I could not find Dry Hollow Trail to save my life. I followed some wide grassy trail out to Black Moshannon Rd and back to the park. There seems to have been a lot of logging in the area. Are some things different since the guidebook was published? I ended up riding some of the trails in the park and they were way more fun than anything else I had ridden that day.

Not just famous; infamous
    No help here, last time I rode Black Mo' was 1997 I think. I grew up about 10 minutes from the park, my brother still lives in that area. I'd love to see some legit maps of those biking trails. Gotta get back east next year.

Just feeling nostalgic I guess....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, I ended up riding the whole Rock Run loop. It's beautiful back there, it's a great venue for a scenic weekend ride. This loop, in my opinion, is more about the backwoods setting than the riding. It has its technical charms, but don't expect much fast or flowy terrain. The whole loop is about 12 miles, and took me about 2.5 hours at a very leisurely pace.

If you want more flowy terrain I'd recommend staying in the state park; star mill, ski slope, etc are all good riding.

Here are some maps I've found since this post:
    AFT-Large Map (rock run is in the top right corner)

PA Hikes Rock run entrance and south loop (this one covers only the south half of the rock run loop, but has topo)

PA hikes Rock Run North loop

The trail head is off of rattlesnake pike, east of underwood road. I rode the loop counter-clockwise.

Some pictures:
    The Trail head

The trail is a bit ethereal in spots, but the blazes are very clear and numerous, so I never had trouble finding my way.

A bridge on the north loop

Rock run

Thanks again to Herrhaus to tipping me off to this tidbit of backwoods riding!
    Sana Cruz 5010v2---Rigid Surly 1x1 650b---CrossCheck

Rider
    Good deal. I meant to follow up with you on the ride. Glad it worked out.

One of the guys I ride with was out on Rock Run Tuesday night. Looks like you were just there yourself (based on trees). Nice pictures.
    No blogs here, nothing special.....I just like to ride my bike.