best mtb trails in pocono, pa area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

best mtb trails in pocono, pa area

Hi, I go to camping to pocono(delaware water cap) every weekends and i'd like to find out close by trails within 30 mins. Any seggestion would be appreciated.
    p.s: I only tried few years ago at glen park and got lost. is there a map i can buy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are trails at Jacobsburg State park down Rt 33 below Tannersville/Bartonsville area. Some singletrack mixed with doubletrack. You should be able to find a map on DCNR website. Or do a search here. It's probably on about 20 minutes away.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

eci
    Check camelback, stop at the loft on your way up the access road for a map

mtbr member
    Did you ever do the Mcdade trail? Idk much about it. I've been meaning to test it out though. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm checking out Promised Land State Park tomorrow. Will post a ride report after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm going to try big pocono state park, the loft say it has about 20miles trail.
    yes I rode at mcdade trail, but i like tech single trails.
    And I guess no one has a map at glen park, even at local bike shop.
    Anyway thx for all info.

mtbr member
    Well if technical trails are your thing, then travel 45 minutes on 84W to the Mount Cobb exit and take rt. 247 for 2.5 miles. The parking lot is on your right. I think there's enough technical stuff there to keep you occupied. If you hit everything, you'll finish around 14-17 miles depending on how you ride it. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Dixon Miller/Pohopoco has trails and roads and a good climb up to the fire tower

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    what's big Pocono like? taking a day trip to get wet at camelback and might stop there for a morning ride.
    is it suitable for a beginner? my girl doesn't ride much...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Actually I rode state gameland right next to big pocono. The loft told me it is more of scenic ride, so I went to gameland instead of big pocono. I think she should be ok, I'm planing to take my son too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    i use to live in the Delaware gap. Glen park is a very nice place to ride. The park has a tons of trails. trails run from easy to expert. There is some nice downhill stuff but there is no maps of the place. Big pocono state park is all fire roads with some single track. the macdale trail is long and has some very nice views but it is very very easy.

Cat Herder
    McDade is tame, but it is scenic along the Delaware. There are some hilly parts to check endurance among the areas from Hialeah to the park headquarters. I ride SG38 near Camelback fairly often. There's an initial climb to the radio towers, and then you're onto the access roads that weave across the gamelands. There is singletrack interspersed thoughout.

Glen Park is a wild land. It's all over the place. I have some maps of this stuff that I've generated with GPS somewhere. Allegedly [wink wink].
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What about Jim Thorpe area? I will be going there in a few weeks and I have heard that also referred to as Pocono area? I hear there is a rails to trails but not really interested to much in that if I dont have to.

I would sooner have more technical trails. On a scale of 1-4 (4 is hardest) I would say a 3-4. Also where I may find a map. Thanks for any help with this area.

Chilling out
    For Thorpe area trails you're going to need to mine historic data ... or strava heat maps ... or the like. Things like American Standard are still out there, who knows how much more?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My wife and I have been in Jim Thorpe all week, had wonderful weather and rode 4 trails on the mountain bikes. I have listed them below in the order of least preferable first, although they were all fun! We had a good time here this week and thought a little ride report would be nice for those who like the area or would like to ride the area in the future. It would be nice to have the time to come back another time and ride Deer Path I & II, Pine Tar Trail, and others.

The first day traveling mostly in a clockwise direction was the Pohopoco Tract. It was not bad although most of it was ATV trails and not very technical. Most of the trails have recently been redone and are double track with well packed stone (right now) as the ATV's are not allowed on it yet. We talked to the supervisor from DCNR telling us that everything would be marked next week, new maps are available, we just didn't have one (ours was an older one). This would be a good trail for beginners but our least favorite. We logged about 10 miles here.

On the 3rd day, traveling in a clockwise direction the 3rd trail we did was the Broad Mountain trail (or second half of American Standard) which is on the right side of route 93 taking you above Glen Onoko Falls. This ride had a few spectacular views of Oxbow Bend and Jim Thorpe. We were also able to ride (mostly walk) the bikes down at Glen Onoko Run to check out the top water fall, not as nice (they say) as the big falls is but still very nice. Overall this was not overly technical but we enjoyed the ride! We logged about 10 miles here.

On our second day traveling in a clockwise direction and riding our 2nd trail of the week was Summit Hill. This was a nice one also but we had an older map and when we got to the cemetery up on Summit Hill things were not quite looking like the directions that we had. Using a compass for navigation we found the trail and finally got on track and got up on the ridge of Pisgah Mountain heading toward the Lung Buster decent. This was at some points a very technical ride with the rocks, yet we rated this as our second best trail here.We logged about 10 miles here.

Today, our 4th day, traveling in a clockwise direction riding our 4th trail of the week we did American Standard, it was a very enjoyable and well kept trail! We rode mostly on the side of route 93 with the "Urinal". At the end we crossed 93 riding out the road about a mile, turning right at the food plot, passing the shale pit (from the Broad Mountain Trail ride) to swing down around back to our car parked in the Game Lands parking lot.

This way we didn't have to ride the last mile back to the car along route 93. From things I have read they say to stay away from this trail during hunting season so this seemed like a great time to do it. The American Standard ride was our favorite of the 4 rides we did here this week! We logged about 17 miles in here.

Special thanks to Bear & Jonz for sending me a couple PM's with some maps of the area. Also thanks to Mountain Biking Pennsylvania by Rob Ginieczki ISBN 1-56044-861-X.