mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Belmont Trolley Flow Trail

Anyone else ridden this yet? Thoughts?
    I thought it was a very fun, fast trail. bypasses all the tech down below Cham (which is also still a blast).

2 wheel drifter
    Well, I can personally attest that a 5 yo can ride it, so if easy was an objective, they succeeded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think it is a freaking blast. Easy doesn't necessarily mean Not Fun. I actually thought after I got to the bottom.... "Man that was awesome. The hardcore Belmont guys are going to hate it"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the trolley trail will be an easy loop through the whole thing. There will still be classic belmont trail everywhere else.

don't worry plenty of "hardcore blemont guys" are making sure they don't take away the classic feel of most of the trails. the big bonus is that now ALL the trails are recognized/saqnctioned by the city.

Lots of hard work put in by the Belmont Trails Alliance in the last few years!!!! Making becoming "official" would have gone MUCH worse without those guys seriously putting the hours in and sticking there necks out to preserve all the existing trail possible (with out them all the OG trials would probably have been closed and we would have had JUST the trolley trail).

IMHO having a main loop will probably keep the good trails even better as now most folks will have and choose the easy option to avoid the "logs of death" style trials.

as to my opinion... for now; meh... but those trails get better over time. it needs some sweet jumps.

2 wheel drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by ash216 View Post
    I think it is a freaking blast. Easy doesn't necessarily mean Not Fun. I actually thought after I got to the bottom.... "Man that was awesome. The hardcore Belmont guys are going to hate it"
    The crossbow trail down to the pump track is great evidence that easy can be fun. At least for me, this trail isn't. However I'm sure we can all appreciate that this is better than no trails. A few more turns and a few less trees cut down would be nice...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    The crossbow trail down to the pump track is great evidence that easy can be fun. At least for me, this trail isn't. However I'm sure we can all appreciate that this is better than no trails. A few more turns and a few less trees cut down would be nice...
    i feel like for the true lovers of belmont; the trolley trail will act as a nice connector between the real trails. HOWEVER for the other 90% of people that hated belmont because it was too hard this will be a great loop.

I feel it is a big win in that it keeps the most of OG trails in original condition; and it will eventually add a whole park loop for suitable for newbs; cross guys; and for days when you don't want to get beat up. Something smooth/fast to ride so there will be less folks trying to sanitize the real trails.

2 wheel drifter
    Given the back and forth here, I queried the aforementioned 5yo last night about what he thought of the trail: "didn't like it, it was too wide". Doesn't get more newb than that, but maybe I just know how to raise them right.

I'm not arguing that there is clearly some logic behind why there will be a ring road in Belmont, but again, it's a crap trail, at least in the opinion of two people, one of whom is very much a beginner.

Perhaps the build crew can take this as constructive criticism and examine their technique going forward. The stretch from the recycling depot to Greenland Dr, BTW shows more imagination, it just so happens this last stretch was particularly uninspired. Always a shame to waste such precious vertical...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I personally, like the logs of death and tight twisty turny nature of the majority of Belmont trails. I just thought this was a nice alternative to those that don't. I do agree with Blackbart, that the new trail could use a few more turns, more trees and maybe some 'B' lines with a bit more tech. That said, the first time I rode the trail I misjudged one of the few turns at high speed and almost went off into the woods!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I rode it once last weekend. Not bad, and very fast. I mixed it up with some of the sections where you can turn into the chunkier stuff just below the hostile - I took the drop in trails twice after circling back to Trolley. I like that they didn't eliminate the older stuff once they added this one. That's very cool - most of the time when trails like this are added to a park, they are used to replace existing ones (see: all the shit they've done in Middle Run the last couple of years.) So even if you hate this trail, it didn't replace anything that was already there - it just adds to the overall ride in the park. And that can't be bad.

Now ... if I can just figure out how to plot a clean route through every inch of the place without screwing it up and walking away with a GPS file that's an absolute casserole of nonsense ... every ... f**king ... time ...

Seriously, though, all the stuff that's been done there and everywhere else around Philly the last few years ... just great stuff and obviously a huge amount of work by good people. Thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Always a shame to waste such precious vertical...
    maybe use it as a climb? i like to mostly climb the "fireroad" to access the tiwstier trails in the downhill direction over there.

I THINK part of the reason it may be so straight is so it doesn't mess with the other trials all around it??? look at a map and you'll see the JB and 3dollar bill is just to the north and the rose is just to the south. I know a lot of work was done to preserve as much of these trails as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i got a chance to play around over there friday. My favorite new "downhill" line through there is: start all the way up to the top; start down the trolley cut for some speed; right into the top of jb around that; right, back on the main trial, more speed; then right into the top of 3 dollar bill right before the bridge; finish toward the bottom.

Then go back up and ride the other trails on the other side of the new trolly cut. It definitely changes the flow over there; but i like it!

bigger than you.
    Given the back and forth here, I queried the aforementioned 5yo last night about what he thought of the trail: "didn't like it, it was too wide". Doesn't get more newb than that, but maybe I just know how to raise them right.

I'm not arguing that there is clearly some logic behind why there will be a ring road in Belmont, but again, it's a crap trail, at least in the opinion of two people, one of whom is very much a beginner.

Perhaps the build crew can take this as constructive criticism and examine their technique going forward. The stretch from the recycling depot to Greenland Dr, BTW shows more imagination, it just so happens this last stretch was particularly uninspired. Always a shame to waste such precious vertical...
    it seems wide now because it's recently cut in and machine work on a new trail seems shocking to anyone used to narrow singletrack. As the tread gets packed in and the underforest grows back, it will narrow considerably. Also, the gestalt for the trolley trail ring, as declared by PPR & the Fairmount Parks Commission, is that it is a Multiuser trail for all levels of cycling, walking, running and equestrians. As such, the requirements are different than for a beginner accessible MTB trail, like crossbow trail is, ostensibly. Personally, I like it, I find it a blast to rip down at speed. It's not my favorite trail in the park- that would probably be the PSK section of the Crossbow Trail, but it's different enough and a great connector for the various segments of trail in that part of the park. It's also a relatively grueling climb, something that really doesn't exist in west park at all- everything else is more 'punchy" and even Crossbow in reverse is a quick and flowy climb, instead of a the grind that the new Trolley section is.