Beginner trails in Scranton area? Did a search- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Beginner trails in Scranton area? Did a search

and found website for Moosic Mt. I'm assuming the trails are very technical but are there any beginner trails worth trying?
    Past weekend, we went to Moon Lake and had a great time on trails such as Big Blue, T-Rex 1, Nature's Way, Mozee and some others that we found while out on the trails.
    Are there any other trails that would be recommended. We're both riding HT's looking for a good workout. Both like small logs, roots, mud's fine but not into picking our way thru rock gardens as much.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Lackawanna State Park (LSP) and Prompton are what you're looking for. Both have extensive bike trails. Both have over 20 miles of Singletrack. LSP has different sections of trails that can get networked together to add distance or end the ride quicker. The trail map that you pick up at the park might not show all the trails. Pick up one of their maps and print this one and compare. There's maps on Hubbards website. Click the link in my signature and look to the top right for the Maps tab. LSP will be on there.

Prompton is a longer trip cause you have to circle the lake. You're looking at the same terrain as LSP, but a longer distance is necessary. The only trail I stay away from at Prompton is the Red one(East Shore Trail). Cross the dam and go straight up. This is the most tech section at Prompton. It's only 100' long. At the first intersection (about 100' past the rock garden) Hang a right on the Yellow trail.

Where are you from? If you're in the area, stop up Hubbard and ride on a Thursnight. There's all different groups and abilities. We're always willing to show you new places too. With over 40 riders on a rainy day and 70+ on sunny days, I'm sure you'll have a great time and meet a lot of people who are willing to show you around some of the local spots.
    ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    This past week I was at both LSP and Moosic Mtn. Both nice places to ride. The waterfall trail @ Moosic Mtn in my opinion is not too techy. I parked at Lily Pond Rd and headed out on the green trail which connected to the lake @ LSP and came back...about 8 or 9 miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Smile curious about waterfall trail

"The waterfall trail @ Moosic Mtn in my opinion is not too techy"
    From the website maps it looks like one has to go to the 2nd parking lot on the left, does that sound right? May check that out this week. Looks interesting. ..

Larry,
    I live in Scranton, my gf lives in Taylor. We plan to go back to Moon Lake on the weekend but were looking for a closer ride for weekdays. Burns too much daylight going back and forth to the Moon on a weekday night. Thanks for the info. I had assumed that Hubbard was one of the more technical rides in the area.
    We were at both Prompton and LSP last year for hiking but had problems finding trails (were using office maps at the time though). The map you posted looks much better. The good thing was that was how we ended up "discovering" Merli.

mtbr member
    There's only one parking lot at Moosic. It's at the upper gate. Park there and ride around the gate and continue straight up the access road until you hit the power line. Make a left down the power line for about 100yds. There's a trail marker on the right. Make the right and go from there. Be aware that about 1.5-2 miles in you'll see 2 trail signs to your right. Avoid these trails like the marker states. These trails are for hiking only due to their soil type which is always wet. Thanks, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Ps. Your assumption about Hubbard is right. But if you're willing to try something different... Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Thanks everyone, we just got back from Waterfall Trail at Moosic Mt.

Although a bit bruised and battered, we had a great time!
    Larry, thanks for the Prompton map - we will have to give that another shot - wish we had had that last year while hiking up at Prompton. The map we had at that time was not as good for finding the trails and we spent more time looking for them than hiking them. BTW, does anyone have a good trail map of LSP? Tonight we heard that the trails are off a bit from the actual park area?? We were there last year but just stayed in the lake and boat launch areas. Thanks again,

mtbr member

LSP trails

The LSP trails are outside of what most people consider the "park". The map in this thread with the colored trails is LSP. The dotted yellow lines are in the familiar "park" area, basically the places you could drive a car. The red trails are bike trails that fall within the park's actual boundary, and the green are bike trails located on adjacent conservancy property.

The trails here don't jump out at you unless you know where to look. If you use the map in this thread in conjunction with the map that can be found at the DCNR website, you should be able to navigate the trails.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ackawanna.aspx

Please note that the map in the link I provided is old and is missing many trails. It should still give you a good idea of where trails are located in relation to the park as you know it. Plus it has some trail names. Print both and explore.

J

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Lackawanna State Park map??

"The map in this thread with the colored trails is LSP. The dotted yellow lines are in the familiar "park" area, basically the places you could drive a car. The red trails are bike trails that fall within the park's actual boundary, and the green are bike trails located on adjacent conservancy property.

The trails here don't jump out at you unless you know where to look. If you use the map in this thread in conjunction with the map "

Well, I looked carefully but I don't see any LSP map in this thread. The only map I see is the one for Prompton. Could you re-post if? Could be my browser but my gf also looked for it (on a different computer) and couldn't find it either. Thanks, would lke to check it out this weekend if the weather holds up.

mtbr member
    Go to www.HubbardBikeClub.com and look in the upper right corner for the MAPS tab. There's a LSP map there. You can print that. I tried to include it in this post, but it won't open. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    That's strange, I can see the LSP map fine with my browser. It is just above the Prompton map in Larry's post. It's a really good map of the park, maybe the best I've seen, it just needs trail names.

What browser are you using? I'm not sure why your having issues viewing it.

This link should take you there: http://www.hubbardbike.com/gallery2/...1787fa0b2d0512

mtbr member
    I posted it like the Prompton map, but it didn't come up on mine either. Even if I drag across the text I don't get a shadow of the text.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Members who have read this thread: 0