back out at belmont today- Mtbr.com
    Trail eater

back out at belmont today

well folks I went out again today and again I was impressed. Still pretty dam dry. Ofcourse there were a few places that were sloppy but these were few and far between.
    If you want to give wissa a break then head on out there on sat. I admit its not wissa but hey, beggers cannot be choosers in this lousy weather.
    I have pics but I have never uploaded images before so I will try. In case your wondering there is a pic of my bike in an awkward position- yes I went over the handle bars because I was admiring the little wren in the tree

Anyhow if you guys are interested and if wissa is still too muddy (waiting on confirmation from someone) then I will head out again tommorow.

There is a limit to how many files I can upload so I will post again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Trail eater

part #2

here is a couple more. see no mud on the rocky mountain
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    here is a couple more. see no mud on the rocky mountain

Hey there,

Looks good.

I am kinda embarrassed but I have always ridden in the wiss. One time, years ago I raced in belmont by the art museum.

Where are (directions please) are these pix taken ?

regards,
    scoon

Trail eater
    hey scoon,
    well I will try my best. I ride out from center city along west river drive. I go under the west girad ave bridge and follow west river drive for about a mile. I make a left onto montgomery drive. There is a small hill to climb on montgomery drive. Keep riding until you ride beneath route 76 bridge and there will be another small hill, around 200m and the entrance to the belmont park will be on your right. Im not sure the name of this road since it winds into the park and ends right next a council depot. there you'll see a fire road, ride up to and onto the fire and you'll trials to the left and right of you. As you ride up to the fire road, on your left you 'll see the parklands were everyone BBQ's and just fool around.
    If you come to a road named Belmont mansion road then youv'e gone too far, turn back around and head back, the entrance will be on your left.
    Being winter the trails will be quite easy to see but during spring and summer if you've never ridden there or haven't in a long time the trails are difficult to see. There are some neat trails with bridges, steep hills etc. Its really not that boring out there.
    I hope these directions help.
    I hope to head out there tomorrow around noonish, depending on when my buddy gets his butt out from work. PM me if your interested, maybe we could organize a few of us to head out there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've never ridden there

I've never ridden Belmont. What are the trails like? How many miles of trails are there...there? Places to park? Safe? I'm itching to ride, but I can't get there until about 1:00pm on Saturday. -XCBob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

belmont directions

From 76 take the exit for the Mann Music Center.

Go uphill.

Take the very first right. It's a paved road that just deadends (next right works too, it's a parking lot).

Park where road ends.

Road "continues" into woods as fireroad. This fire road (in my mind) splits the trails into 2 main sections, call them above and below.

Trails are to the left (above) and right (below). I would go right first and just keep making rights until you're along 76. The trails below the fire road are twisty and fun, with lots of up and down. If you keep trying to ride up towards 76, you'll eventually be forced out to the fire road. Trails continue quite a bit further but are harder to follow (on other side of paved road). Best bet is to turn left on fire road (heading back) and then look for a trail (any trail) to the right. When trails end at other fire roads, scout up and down to find trails on the other side.

Belmont is a lot of pick and poke but a ton of fun. It's also a nice break from the rocks of Wiss.

Trail eater
    Im thinking of heading out to belmont around noon-1pm tomorrow. I dont want to start too much later than that otherwise I will be shagged before midnight
    Anyone fell free to join us. We could try and meet somewhere. Brian Burgess seems to know the area pretty well, I myself ride in from center city. I'll take my camera with me again and try to get some action shots

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the directions. I should have known, as I got married in the horticultural center.

regards,
    scoon

Hoopy Frood

You'll be wet if you go out that late

Looks like the rain will start in force around 10:00 AM. If you wait until midday to ride, you'll be on the trainer.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i was out at belmont monday before the rain and amazingly the trails were pretty damn good! the place seems to drain MUCH better than wissahickon and will be my default riding spot for these soggy winter months.

in an interesting sidenote, i was out with three other rigid singlespeeders and we saw six other people; ALL ON RIGID SINGLESPEEDS. so you probably don't want to ride there if you have gears or suspension

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    in an interesting sidenote, i was out with three other rigid singlespeeders and we saw six other people; ALL ON RIGID SINGLESPEEDS. so you probably don't want to ride there if you have gears or suspension
    Back when I used to do the Bellmont thursday night races on a regular basis, there were always a couple guys on cyclocross bikes in the pack. Fast [email protected], too. I lost first place in a time trial one night to a guy on a redline cx bike who not only beat me, but he managed to close the 0:30 starting gap and passed me in a sprint toward the finish.

Ah, good times then.

(Sorry, not single-speed, but as rigid as rigid gets!)
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Inbred Homebrewer
    Hey! I recognize that RM. Josef, izzat you?

Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    well folks I went out again today and again I was impressed. Still pretty dam dry. Ofcourse there were a few places that were sloppy but these were few and far between.
    If you want to give wissa a break then head on out there on sat. I admit its not wissa but hey, beggers cannot be choosers in this lousy weather.
    I have pics but I have never uploaded images before so I will try. In case your wondering there is a pic of my bike in an awkward position- yes I went over the handle bars because I was admiring the little wren in the tree

Anyhow if you guys are interested and if wissa is still too muddy (waiting on confirmation from someone) then I will head out again tommorow.

There is a limit to how many files I can upload so I will post again.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Trail eater

yes its me stick

hey man, long time no see How have you been? Im sure I'll see you Jan 14th at wissa

Members who have read this thread: 0