Asaph & Wellsboro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Asaph & Wellsboro

I am planning a few days in the Wellsboro area this week. Can anyone describe some of the trails in the area in terms of technical ability and aerobic capacity? Maybe compare them to other rides so I have an idea. I am going with another guy at a different skill level and looking for a balanced ride so he doesn't die on me-- or want to kill me for getting him out there!

Asaph sounds interesting. What do you think and any other recommendations?

Thanks

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    If you park at the fishery (or whatever the heck it's called), then I would describe the "aerobic" requirement as "hellish". There was absolutely nothing really technical that I saw... some minor rock gardens, some steepish decents and climbs. It was mostly smooth and flowy, with log crossings here and there. Park at the top and avoid the insanely boring fireroad megaclimb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    If you park at the fishery (or whatever the heck it's called), then I would describe the "aerobic" requirement as "hellish". There was absolutely nothing really technical that I saw... some minor rock gardens, some steepish decents and climbs. It was mostly smooth and flowy, with log crossings here and there. Park at the top and avoid the insanely boring fireroad megaclimb.
    Exactly what I did.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=520530

mtbr member
    Sounds like good advice. Thank you!

How about Colton Point, Leonard Harrison, Cedar Run or Slate Run?

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Sorry, no experiences there (yet). Hopefully next june when I get back there for STPR (if it happens... all the state park/forrest/land cutbacks are threatening to cancel the event).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Sorry, no experiences there (yet). Hopefully next june when I get back there for STPR (if it happens... all the state park/forrest/land cutbacks are threatening to cancel the event).
    First the creek crossing, now they want to end everything?

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    We just held our last meeting in Wellsboro before STPR(R) and there was bad news coming from the Pennsylvania Legislature. A bill has passed the PA Senate to reduce the DCNR funding by 19 million dollars. The proposal from DCNR on how to cope with this drastic reduction in funding includes eliminating all the forest rangers. That will basically end STPR(R) in the state forest as there will not be law enforcement there and the permits will be denied. This is according to a very good source among our contacts there.
    From this thread:

http://www.stpr.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=484

Note that the above statement says "end STPR in the state forest", which doesn't mean end it completely, but you're not that far off when you lose 75% of your viable roads. Hopefully it'll be ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0