Anyone Want To Ride Blue Mt. Saturday? 10/21- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone Want To Ride Blue Mt. Saturday? 10/21

I want to get up there before the season is over to check it out.
    Anyone game?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just go to creek. Blue is garbage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ya know what man. You are probably right. I haven't been to Creek yet either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Every time I've gone to blue I'm always just wishing I drove a little further

mtbr member
    If you go anyway, despite salty mcgee above me, I'll be up in the morning for a while. Look for a white Chevy Colorado/black Kona Process and say whats up

mtbr member
    Right on. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just sayin. I go to creek and have so much fun but blue is nothing but loose rock, bad built lips and janky tech trails

mtbr member
    It's different terrain, just need to learn how to ride it. It's fast and flows if you know what you're doing.

Not to derail the thread but, whining and shit talking isn't going to help Blue progress to what Creek is. Keep in mind, between Diablo and MCBP, Creek has a lot of years on Blue to work out their kinks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I don't care if it shuts down, the market will be filled. They don't care about their riders only about making money in the short term. They closed the mountain for a Spartan race right in the middle of the season.

Keep on Rockin...
    Blue ain't so bad if you are into loose rock and "janky tech". I'll take old school chunky tech over a buffed out stunt park.

Lifts at Blue are slow though.

mtbr member
    If the bike park didn't care about its riders, there wouldn't be a bike park to begin with.
    Unfortunately the bike park is a small piece of Blue Mtn as a whole. Management isn't going to turn down a moneymaker like Spartan Race just for 50+ bikers. It sucks from a rider perspective but events like that are what make enough money for Blue to decide that keeping the bike park open is worth it. Last year is the first year the park even turned a profit. Like it or not, this is how businesses work, and things take time.

If more people showed up to ride and support instead of crying on a forum, the process may move quicker.

mtbr member
    I've been away for over 10 years, riding in the NW, and coming back to SE PA to see way more riding opportunities than when I left is awesome. I'm all for supporting ANYONE showing the sport love. Face it, we need all the help we can get to gain more trail access. Although I'm not really a huge fan of lift access riding, I'll give Blue my business at least once, if not just to check it out and say I rode it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Blue could really be something if it were willing to put some serious $ into pushing some clay up the mountain and maintaining what they build. It's by far closer to me than anywhere else and I still don't get there much.

Problem is their business plan doesn't seem that interested in DH. It's an afterthought at best. The runs are quick. And then the lift IS slow. Trails either aren't maintained well season to season or in some cases weren't designed particularly well to begin with and it shows.

Killington on the other hand has plowed some serious money in, built some good lines but once again don't seem to invest in necessary seasonal maintenance. You gotta get decent clay up there. Pebbly, topsoil- heavy or sandy garbage doesn't cut it with wintertime weathering.

I've heard Thunder Mountain has done a good job in the last two years but haven't ridden it yet to know for sure . . .

mtbr member
    The bike park is 100% the red headed step child of Blue Mtn as a whole. It's hard to build and maintain at the level Creek and Killington do when there isn't much allocated to it. Fortunately more and more riders are coming to check it out so with any luck management will start seeing it as a good investment.

My whole point is don't shit talk what is/can be a good thing for the MTB community in this area. Don't like it? Cool, don't go. Just don't actively spread bullshit and ruin it for the rest of us who are happy to have local lift access

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikemax View Post
    I don't care if it shuts down, the market will be filled. They don't care about their riders only about making money in the short term. They closed the mountain for a Spartan race right in the middle of the season.

and that spartan race weekend probably made more money than the bike park did all season.

let's not forget that mt creek has shut down the lift to riders for weddings (at least once that i can think of offhand).

at the end of the day ski resorts are businesses. unless you're whistler, spartan races, weddings, etc, are gonna bring in more $$$ to the mountain than biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't know what percentage Blue gets from events like the Spartan race but I feel like its events like that (be it unfortunate they can't keep the bike park open at the same time) that keep the summer activities alive. How many people on average are riding at blue mountain on any given weekend day? I've been there a few times and have yet to see more than 50 or so there on any non-race weekend. That doesn't really add up to a whole lot of steady income, especially when you have to figure that a good chunk of those are season pass holders so they brought in no real money THAT DAY. I don't know what the total number of entries is for a spartan race but it says on the Spartan site that racers are started in waves of 250, so I'm going to assume that its a LOT more than that for any given race at anywhere from $90-$120 per person, plus pay to park each car. That adds up real quick.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Oh I get it from an economic stand point. Maybe I was harsh, I juat dont really like the vibe or the riding at Blue. That's just a random guys opinion on the internet. My opinion is that mountain creek is amazing and outshines nearby competition due to sold terrain and the most efficient lift you ever ride besides maybe k1

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    if mt creek was so amazing, they wouldn't have fired their long time bike operations manager and replaced him with someone from winter operations that knows veyr little about biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Bashing blue won't get you anywhere. Who cares if it isn't as good as mtn creek? Its still fun and has some good runs. For what its worth, check out how many DH/enduro races blue has put on over the past few years compared to mtn creek.

Also, I'll be at blue this saturday, first time back since breaking my collarbone, gotta squeeze it in before the long winter.

Oh, and Thunder Mountain is very very good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thunder is the best. Billy badger and the shist. Pretty much everything there is fun.

mtbr member
    Last chairs this weekend. Last run Sunday will be the traditional party lap train then hangs in the parking lot.