Anyone riding in the SE Pa area ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Anyone riding in the SE Pa area ?

I live in Brookhaven, I'm just getting back into riding and want to know if anyone out there rides week nights or on the weekends around here ? I have riden some trails that I used to years ago but they really aren't the same as I remember, just trying to find some new ones.
    Trek Fuel 90 - FOR SALE PM ME
    Cannondale Scalpel 1000 Push'ed
    Cannondale Caffeine 29er - weight weenie !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where have you been riding?

Where have you been riding in SE Penna?
    Sir Dabs-alot

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Just say approx. where you live and....

we can give you many places to check out. Brookhaven...hmmm, that's Del. Co. correct? I'm not familiar with the area but you have Wissahickon Park, West Chester/Downingtown area(s), Fair Hill Park, MD (near Oxford, PA), French Creek State Park, PA (a little bit of a drive) but...drop by your local shop and ask where they're heading out to ride dirt.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Where have you been riding in SE Penna?
    I have been riding in Swarthmore college and in smedley park, little places like that. I want to check out Wissahickon Park. I heard about some trails near linvilla orchards, but not sure if there open to bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Brandywine

Check out Brandywine...actually there is also conservation area right next to Brandywine called Woodlawn which has some nice trails...

Keep an eye out for horses, I always stop so as to help give mtbr's a good name, but folks there seem good at sharing the trails.

There is a good book (I forget the name) with rides in SEPA, I'm sure your lbs has a copy. It's got directions, descriptions, maps, elevations. Nice format.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fuel 90- I work in Eddystone so if you are into an after-work tues or thurs ride, let me know

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Fuel 90- I work in Eddystone so if you are into an after-work tues or thurs ride, let me know
    Sounds Good. I have to finish up a summer course I'm taking on Tues & Thurs. nights right now but it will be done in 2 weeks. I def. would be interested in riding then, If you do any mon. , wed. or fri. stuff let me know, I can def do those.

Now broadcasting from CO

I agree...

With HardTail610. Brandywine is nice. I can show you around some day once school gets out. (3 days from now). Unfortunately, they recently closed my favorite section of the park due to environmental reasons. PM me for more info.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks everyone for all the help

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Ride along Delaware

I live outside of Trenton, NJ Over the last few days I have ridden along the Delaware Canal Path which runs parallel to the Delaware River I have done about 20 mile span, it's a real nice flat area with plenty of wildlife. Pretty much XC but great for just racking of miles to get in shape. It starts in Bristol PA about 12 miles N of Philly and goes all the way to Easton up towards the Water Gap. There are plenty of parking areas along the route and several bridges to create loops
    Last edited by wahurl; 06-08-2005 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    You are actually located in a good central location to a few really nice rides. Wissahickon is a great place to ride but with as many ups as downs, nice this time of year though as it is usually cooler down in the valley on really hot days. If you feel like driving down into Delaware there is a lot of really nice riding. The new head of trail mainentance at White Clay Creek is the DE IMBA rep, that should give you an idea for what they are like. Very fast with many stunts and minimal climbing. Brandywine was nice until they closed off the section behind the JCC...that was the only fun part I work at the Eastern Mountain Sports in Wilmington and we ride White Clay every Sunday night so if you are interested drop a line to the store anytime on Sunday before 5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000cx
    You are actually located in a good central location to a few really nice rides. Wissahickon is a great place to ride but with as many ups as downs, nice this time of year though as it is usually cooler down in the valley on really hot days. If you feel like driving down into Delaware there is a lot of really nice riding. The new head of trail mainentance at White Clay Creek is the DE IMBA rep, that should give you an idea for what they are like. Very fast with many stunts and minimal climbing. Brandywine was nice until they closed off the section behind the JCC...that was the only fun part I work at the Eastern Mountain Sports in Wilmington and we ride White Clay every Sunday night so if you are interested drop a line to the store anytime on Sunday before 5.
    Is all of the Woodlawn properties closed? What about the entrance off of Beaver Valley Rd?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Is white clay creek now open to ridding? I used to ride that back when it was called Carpenter state park. Boy, that was a long time ago. But they closed it to bikes in the late 80's early 90's. There are some great trails back there.

mtbr member

Delaware Canal State Park is washed out due to floods

The canal is great for getting the miles up for sure, but from Yardley to Wahsington Crossing & further north, there are large sections that are washed out from the floods in the fall of 2004 & early this spring. What a mess. Try the NJ side it may be better, but I haven't been over there to see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Is white clay creek now open to ridding? I used to ride that back when it was called Carpenter state park. Boy, that was a long time ago. But they closed it to bikes in the late 80's early 90's. There are some great trails back there.
    White Clay is most definitely open to biking now, and one of the nicest places I have ridden locally. One of the guys I ride with grew up in Wilmington and actually told me the story about the park and how it used to be Carpenter...cool history. If you haven't been there lately I would suggest checking it out. Bryans Field sits right off of Papermill Rd and Possum Park Rd, that is one of the better places to start from. It is now fee parking but when you ride these trails you will know where your $2.50 is going :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes, White Clay is open to riding

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    There are about 12.5 miles of very nice, smooth singletrack at White Clay Creek State Park open to bikes(multi use). The trails in the Bob Carpenter part(near Rt 896) of the park are mostly closed to bikes.
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel90Trek
    I have been riding in Swarthmore college and in smedley park, little places like that. I want to check out Wissahickon Park. I heard about some trails near linvilla orchards, but not sure if there open to bikes.
    Where do you ride in Swarthmore? I live in ardmore and I'm always looking for closer places for a quick ride.

But yeah, french creek flat out kills, it's a great ride, lots of rocks. Wissahickon is similar to FC but not quite as gnarly. White Clay is the opposite, smooth and fast. Fairhill down in De is decent, as is marsh creek.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brudy
    Where do you ride in Swarthmore? I live in ardmore and I'm always looking for closer places for a quick ride.

But yeah, french creek flat out kills, it's a great ride, lots of rocks. Wissahickon is similar to FC but not quite as gnarly. White Clay is the opposite, smooth and fast. Fairhill down in De is decent, as is marsh creek.
    Behind the college, there are some o.k. trails back there, nothing crazy....But if you want a quick ride or so thats the place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Broomal

There are also some trails in Broomall across the street from the (Gov. Sproul?) aptartments up by the Acme. Entrance is a little hard to find, it's a break in the brush, but there is a decent network back there if you're looking for a quick fix. Some jumps back there too, not sure if it is moto-x or bmx...

Ditto FC.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    There are also some trails in Broomall across the street from the (Gov. Sproul?) aptartments up by the Acme. Entrance is a little hard to find, it's a break in the brush, but there is a decent network back there if you're looking for a quick fix. Some jumps back there too, not sure if it is moto-x or bmx...

Ditto FC.
    Behind O Hara , they are cross country trials, I used to ride back here all the time. I'll have to check it out again.

pain don't hurt
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if there were people on here who rode swarthmore. It's a great little trail. Maybe you have seen me (big yellow Rockhopper) cuz I see lots of other riders there. I live about 4 miles away, so it's convenient.

Anyone wanna plan a group ride?

P.S. What's with all the Treks I see???

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Swarthmore

I'm further north in DelCo, but would love to find a nice little circuit in the Swarthmore area...do tell...pm if need be...

thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    White Clay is most definitely open to biking now, and one of the nicest places I have ridden locally. One of the guys I ride with grew up in Wilmington and actually told me the story about the park and how it used to be Carpenter...cool history. If you haven't been there lately I would suggest checking it out. Bryans Field sits right off of Papermill Rd and Possum Park Rd, that is one of the better places to start from. It is now fee parking but when you ride these trails you will know where your $2.50 is going :P
    I wouldn't mind paying $2.50, but it's $5.00 for out-of-staters. I think that's getting a little steep, especially if you just want to ride for a short time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboasT4
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if there were people on here who rode swarthmore. It's a great little trail. Maybe you have seen me (big yellow Rockhopper) cuz I see lots of other riders there. I live about 4 miles away, so it's convenient.

Anyone wanna plan a group ride?

P.S. What's with all the Treks I see???
    I would def. be down with a group ride. Come up with some dates and times that work. I am good on the weekends and after 5:00 on the weekdays

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    There are about 12.5 miles of very nice, smooth singletrack at White Clay Creek State Park open to bikes(multi use). The trails in the Bob Carpenter part(near Rt 896) of the park are mostly closed to bikes.
    Just rode the David English, Whitely Farms, and Bryan's Field today. What a fun ride, I drive about an hour just to ride those trails. Took out my new Epic Comp Disc for the first time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just Don't Tell Anyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by azf100
    Just rode the David English, Whitely Farms, and Bryan's Field today. What a fun ride, I drive about an hour just to ride those trails. Took out my new Epic Comp Disc for the first time!
    Don't tell anyone. Let's keep this place a secret. lol I'll be there(Middle Run/WhiteClay) tomorrow AM riding with the JAR guys and later with some local buddies.
    Sir Dabs-alot

pain don't hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel90Trek
    I would def. be down with a group ride. Come up with some dates and times that work. I am good on the weekends and after 5:00 on the weekdays
    Anyone up for a Sunday night? Maybe July 3rd-ish to give you guys some time to plan.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboasT4
    Anyone up for a Sunday night? Maybe July 3rd-ish to give you guys some time to plan.
    Sounds good to me. I need to get my butt back in gear and start really riding again on a reg. basis.

mtbr member
    This is the same loop my friends and I ride on Sunday nights...VERY fun. Its nice to ride somewhere thats not packed with people...and the people who are there are always very friendly. The way I look at the charge parking is simple, amazing trails take large amount of maintenance, which costs someone something. Since I too am out of state a bought a pass for $40 which allows parking all summer long. I have already doubled that in riding since purchasing the pass.

pain don't hurt
    I'm sorta a newbie still and wanna ride with some other guys to see your lines on some of the technical stuff.

Santa Cruz hardtail guy I talked to on the trail - PM me if you see this

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is the same loop my friends and I ride on Sunday nights...VERY fun. Its nice to ride somewhere thats not packed with people...and the people who are there are always very friendly. The way I look at the charge parking is simple, amazing trails take large amount of maintenance, which costs someone something. Since I too am out of state a bought a pass for $40 which allows parking all summer long. I have already doubled that in riding since purchasing the pass.
    I didn't know you could buy a pass--that's more like it. Is that pass valid for all Delaware State Parks?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hmm, I didn't know they had season passes. I normally just throw 5 bucks into the self pay envelopes. But I agree, the people there are very friendly...I also like the fact that the area feels very open and airy...unlike some parks that are almost pitch black in the middle of the day..

mtbr member
    Hmm, I didn't know they had season passes. I normally just throw 5 bucks into the self pay envelopes. But I agree, the people there are very friendly...I also like the fact that the area feels very open and airy...unlike some parks that are almost pitch black in the middle of the day..
    Yes they do offer passes...its $40 out of state and $20 in state. But like I said, I have already almost doubled what I paid for the pass in rides so I feel they are worth while. My buddies wife is a Naturalist for Brandywine and she got me mine from the nature center there but you may be able to buy them at any lot with a ranger on duty (Thompsons Bridge?) I will find out today where you guys can pick them up at and post up later on.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wanted to see if anyone has ever ridin in Indian Orchard park off of 352 off Copes Ln. ? I have checked them out but never ridin, sign says that "Bikes should not be permitted".....

mtbr member
    This sounds cool. Can someone hook me up with directions/trail info? I'll be coming from 76 or the Blue Route.

mtbr member
    Looks like the passes can only be purchased at park offices...nothing at the lots. Brandywine Nature Center is the closest to the PA border...right off of Thompsons Bridge Rd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Hmmm I live in Newark and I just got a bike. I'll have to check these places out provided they don't mind considerate newbies there