Anyone night riding High Rocks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone night riding High Rocks?

Is anyone riding here regularly at night? Where to park? Problems getting your car ticketed? Having just moved to Doylestown, I'm looking to keep the winter stoke going and join or lead a mid-week night ride. Would love to join those riding at South Mountain or further away, but that won't work with my schedule.

The interwebs are telling me that years ago EMS Warrington led a group ride there, and a local club rode out of the Point Pleasant market. Haven't found anything recent.

I crave HR's technicality, and I like to keep a good pace but I'm definitely not a hammerhead, or cleaning every obstacle...yet.

PM me if interested. Thanks!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Dude, High Rocks is strictly forbidden at night. It closes at dusk and there are large portions of the park visible from the road. When I used to climb there, the rangers would be pretty angry if you weren't in the lot by dusk. I'm sure they would be more so if you were caught riding there at night. That being said, I'm also not sure it is worth the risk. The riding there is just not that good when compared to other places close by IMHO.

Nockamixon has way better riding, but is also off limits at night. The rangers here get really salty with people after dark.

For night riding in the area, your best bet is Valley Green, aka the Wissahickon. This is open at night and the riding is much, much better. It's not that far from Doylestown and is worth the drive. Compare the 6 or 7 miles of HR, really hiking trails, to the 20+ miles of the Wiss, much of which are trails built with an eye towards mountain biking.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    HR is rad during the day...
    ...never thought about night.

But I digress...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    Dude, High Rocks is strictly forbidden at night. It closes at dusk and there are large portions of the park visible from the road. When I used to climb there, the rangers would be pretty angry if you weren't in the lot by dusk. I'm sure they would be more so if you were caught riding there at night. That being said, I'm also not sure it is worth the risk. The riding there is just not that good when compared to other places close by IMHO.

Nockamixon has way better riding, but is also off limits at night. The rangers here get really salty with people after dark.

For night riding in the area, your best bet is Valley Green, aka the Wissahickon. This is open at night and the riding is much, much better. It's not that far from Doylestown and is worth the drive. Compare the 6 or 7 miles of HR, really hiking trails, to the 20+ miles of the Wiss, much of which are trails built with an eye towards mountain biking.
    Man, I would take HR over Nox any day and often did. I thought the Wiss was closed at night as well. I would agree that night riding at the Wiss is where to go if you are going to do it.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    This is what cycling advocacy groups should be doing. Fighting this crap.

For some reason, when the nights get longer, and daylight is GONE by the time most people get off work, our illustrious government has decided we as the citizens and owners of all of this land are not permitted on it.

Yet, we as a country are getting more out of shape, and more health issues. So, we prevent people from getting outside and using public property because the sun is not up.

Stupid.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The philly mtb meetup group has night rides at Wiss and Neshaminy throughout the week. I think most are on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but it does vary. Both places are fun for a night ride, with Wiss obviously being a larger park.
    I'm hoping to make some of the Tuesday rides at Neshaminy when my evening class ends soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post

For some reason, when the nights get longer, and daylight is GONE by the time most people get off work, our illustrious government has decided we as the citizens and owners of all of this land are not permitted on it.

Yet, we as a country are getting more out of shape, and more health issues. So, we prevent people from getting outside and using public property because the sun is not up.

Stupid.
    No, because people go out at night, crash, and sue said government. Also, the Government is us. I could just imagine someone doing something stupid at high rocks.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hire Penndot to put up flashing signs and warnings and more signs and more warnings spending our tax dollars, so they are off the hook and can "never" be sued!.. LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    No, because people go out at night, crash, and sue said government.
    As opposed to going out in the day and crashing?

You still get just as busted up.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    The HR rangers are (or at least were) some serious d-bags. I remember someone dumped what could have been weed out their window & my friend parked in their spot. So the rangers find this & call in the federallies & wait for us to come back. Then they procede to full on interrogate us failing to realize it could have come from anyone. Things got pretty heated & they ended up with some serious egg on their faces...it was truely f'n ridiculous.

Anyway, I haven't lived back that way in 11 years but we used to night ride there weekly. Sometimes with up to 11+ people. There are a number of spots to park, but parking down on the canal was a popular spot, as was the kayak take out where there is a trail on the other side of the river. We would also sometimes camp there, sauce it up & night ride. Never were we hassled. I think as long as you park incognito you're good. Keep in mind some joker did ride off the lower cliff night riding. He was there for some 24 hours before being discovered but did survive.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post

Stupid.
    Agreed 110%. The absolute police state that is the tri state area is why I had to move. 11 years later & can't fathom living back there other than the pizza.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the beta. I just moved from Mt Airy and know the Wiss well. But riding midweek there will be tough, it's hard to get a hall pass for longer than 2 hours with 2 little kids tearing up the house. I might check out the Neshaminy philly mtb ride or just say f*** it and ride HR anyway. If anyone's interested...

@Nard: is the kayak take out down at Ralph Stover SP on the other side of the river, near the closed-off bridge that becomes Stover Park Road going up to Tory Road?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I used to ride HR here and there in the dark when I lived over in the Doylestown area. Never had any issues with the rangers. One time I popped out on the road and was face to face with a police cruiser. They just asked if everything was okay. I said yes and they said have a great night and drove away. I definitely would recommend either camping there or parking away from the park like the others said.

If you are looking to ride Nox at night, I have parked at the gas station on the corner of Tower Road and 611 and just pedaled down Tower to get to the trails.

Wiss is the only place in the area that I have actually felt was okay to ride at night. Although...make sure you ride with at least one buddy...never know what you find in that park at night

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    If you are looking to ride Nox at night, I have parked at the gas station on the corner of Tower Road and 611 and just pedaled down Tower to get to the trails.
    Not advisable.

1.) The state has been very supportive of mountain biking and the trailbuilders at Nox over the past 7 years but its a state park and people have to be out of the park at dusk regardless. Their rules and they ARE particular about them.

2.) As a local I can tell you that the property owner where the Turkey Hill and the CVS are located have been towing cars regularly in the last year (mtbr vehicles are a little obvious as are the guys riding away with lights).

Road Bike Review Member
    Don't forget about pennypack Technically the Philly parks are off limits at night too but I've never had an issue. Had a cop tell me from his cruiser that I was nuts one night when I was leaving the park. It was about 15 degrees
    Bike fleet: Scalpel/Habit SE/Synapse Hi Mod/SWorks Tarmac/TJ CX/Trek Speed Concept 9 series/Ridley Noah

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39 View Post
    Don't forget about pennypack Technically the Philly parks are off limits at night too but I've never had an issue. Had a cop tell me from his cruiser that I was nuts one night when I was leaving the park. It was about 15 degrees
    I ride with the Philly Meetup Group. We do Neshaminy Tuesday nights and Pennypack on Thursdays. I believe Penny & Wiss are open until 10 pm. Never had an issue.

banned
    Nov 2008
    I was up at High Rocks years ago after a holiday weekend, the place had a bunch of down trees......big HUGE trees. So I decided to leave and ran into one of rangers as I was leaving.
    The park ranger fined the hell out of me for entering the park. Apparently they had up warning signs not to enter the park, but they weren't posted were I parked or entered the trail at.
    It's was ridiculous and pissed me off beyond words.

Mean while I ran into half a dozen climbers in the park that day who weren't fined.