Anybody wanna help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Anybody wanna help?

I'm from around Pittsburgh, Ambridge to be exact, and am fairly new to serious mountain biking. I just bought my first full suspension bike, a jamis dakar expert 2004 hold over model. I was wondering if there is anyone from around me that would be able and willing to help me with my suspension tuning, I'd ask my LBS where I bought it but they are always busy and understaffed I'd hate to bug them. I'd be willing to meet and ride somewhere i.e. North Park, Hartwood, Brady's Run, Frick. It would also be nice to get out and ride with some people that know the trails at these parks, rather than wonder around all by my lonesome. Thanks for reading all of this. You can also reach me at my email [email protected] thanks

Freshly Fujified

Here's a thought

While I can't help with group rides (as I'm from Philadelphia) I'll offer up some advice on the suspension set up. Don't feel guilty about tying up your LBS time. Short handed, busy or not, they sold you the bike, and frankly, it's their responsibility to make sure it's working properly for the buyer upon delivery. IMO, this should include making sure the suspension is tuned properly. It's no different than if your derailleurs weren't functioning properly, or if your brakes didn't work.

Stop in and make a point to talk to the manager or the mechanic. Explain to them that you realize that they are busy, but that you have some issues with the bike set up that they should be addressing free of charge and make an appointment to come back and have the work done while you are there. My guess is that the best time to make the appointment would be as soon as the shop opens, or at the beginning of the mechanic's shift. You must be there when this is done for two reasons. First, to tune the suspension to your weight, you obviously have to be there while they make adjustments and to test them. Secondly, to make sure they actually do the work .

Best wishes in getting the bike dialed in and in finding some riding partners.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Don't feel guilty about tying up your LBS time. Short handed, busy or not, they sold you the bike, and frankly, it's their responsibility to make sure it's working properly for the buyer upon delivery. IMO, this should include making sure the suspension is tuned properly. It's no different than if your derailleurs weren't functioning properly, or if your brakes didn't work.
    I'll second that!

Call_me_Clyde is exactly correct.
    Their involvement with your bike doesn't end when you pay them.
    Bet they'd be more than happy to get you set up correctly busy or not.
    If not, well....................................

Members who have read this thread: 0