Anybody heard anything about a MBW 06 yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anybody heard anything about a MBW 06 yet?

There are a few hints on their website but thats it.

mtbr member

2005 was the last!!

May be a new one run by the campground/ county in 2006. They said it would be in Sept instead of June.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    They said it would be in Sept instead of June.
    Where/when did you hear that? I was at MBW 2004 but missed it last year, and that is the first I have heard of a Sept date.

Had heard rumors about it being held near Tamaqua.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

MTB Weekend 2006

Not meaning to step on anyone!

It was posted on here awhile back that the RCST Rattling Creek Singletrackers would host it!

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Not meaning to step on anyone!

It was posted on here awhile back that the RCST Rattling Creek Singletrackers would host it!

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks for posting that.....do you have any other details such as the wheres and whens?

TIA

I heard it was a spinoff of their own bash they have ever Sept. It is in the Weiser state forest in Lykens Pa
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the Bash is MUCH smaller than MBW, and more for 'adult' MTB'ers...it is not a spinoff of MBW, its a seperate event that has been going on for a few years now. Contact Keith from RCST for more details

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had heard MBW was going to possibly carry on near Tamaqua, around the same time of year.

I'm not directly involved, so I don't want to make any solid comments. It was posted on here that the fine folks in Tamaqua were not interested at the time.

I really think a group has to step up and approach the loca area with their ideas. Until then it just seems to be up in the air.

I will help, if I'm asked. I am located about 45 miles from Jim Thorpe. Personally I would like to see Jim Thorpe have something as well as Tamaqua. Both are great areas.

I do know I have never been to the RCST Bash, because of conflicts of other events. I hope this year I can make it to their event. I hear its great!

I think we should all support Mt biking as much as we can. Years ago there was a race in Coburn Pa. It was amazing to see 500 Mt bikers riding and racing. Back then it was mostly fun. See if you could make it.We need this growth again! It will only come through support and organization of "FRIENDS" making friends and sharing rides.
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Coburn

The Wilderness 101 has been back in Coburn the last couple of years

Years ago there was a race in Coburn Pa. It was amazing to see 500 Mt bikers riding and racing. Back then it was mostly fun. See if you could make it.We need this growth again! It will only come through support and organization of "FRIENDS" making friends and sharing rides.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member

Looks like a dead issue

Here is the website and it really looks like the 20th MBW was the end.
    www.soeast.com/mtnbike.htm

mtbr member
    I wouldn't give up hope at this point in time!

Joe
    PA IMBA Rep
    www.bikevmb.com

mtbr member

New event?

I have attended the last 13 MTB weekends. At the 2006 event the rangers were giving out some info on the event they plan to have there in Sept. Have not heard anything yet but stay tuned.

MTBW onofficial/official ride

So why dont we all plan to ride the Thorpe the same weekend this year as the old MTBW? Let's see how many people we can get together.

any takers?
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member

Yes

I thought the same thing. We can make our own

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 litespeed
    The Wilderness 101 has been back in Coburn the last couple of years

Years ago there was a race in Coburn Pa. It was amazing to see 500 Mt bikers riding and racing. Back then it was mostly fun. See if you could make it.We need this growth again! It will only come through support and organization of "FRIENDS" making friends and sharing rides.
    [/QUOTE]

Wilderness 101 and MBW are way different. W101 is a race, whereas MBW is a party or celebration. W101 is quiet the night before, in the morning a race for five or six hours, usually with friends or family doing some kind of support along the way, and a not-very-loud dinner and awards ceremony afterwards.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    I thought the same thing. We can make our own
    MBW was about more than the riding. Logistically, it's a HUGE undertaking to host an event of this size. Accomodating 1000 people with somewhere to stay, eat and do what comes after eating Plus the entertainment, events, clinics and swap meet and getting the permits(which apparently the county said no to for '06) That said, I'd love to see it continued.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

WTB and others:

I understand, and I do know we cannot duplicate MTBW this quick. All I suggest we ride together sometime. Maybe WE can start something or at least attract attention to US, and what we are doing.

Let's use this board to gather our plans. I have all of my info on this post for everyone to see. you can call or email me anytime. I hope the others will do the same.

When MTB weekend started they didn't have a big following. Besides it's all about fun and riding anyways. I know it's a really hard time of year to plan but keep in touch.

What the heck we and my friends started racing vintage motorcycles in a field years ago and now we host national and regional races. You never know who's watching. If they see you are doing it right they usually wanna join. A group of riders looking for a place to ride has more pull than a few

MOTO.
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

those are Rollercams...
    WTB and others:

I understand, and I do know we cannot duplicate MTBW this quick. All I suggest we ride together sometime. Maybe WE can start something or at least attract attention to US, and what we are doing.

Let's use this board to gather our plans. I have all of my info on this post for everyone to see. you can call or email me anytime. I hope the others will do the same.

When MTB weekend started they didn't have a big following. Besides it's all about fun and riding anyways. I know it's a really hard time of year to plan but keep in touch.

What the heck we and my friends started racing vintage motorcycles in a field years ago and now we host national and regional races. You never know who's watching. If they see you are doing it right they usually wanna join. A group of riders looking for a place to ride has more pull than a few

MOTO.
    Absolutely correct you are!

Maybe a couple of smaller gatherings over the season will put the right folks together and as we get to know each other something larger can fall into place. There was an east coast MTBR gathering a few years back, no reason we can't pull people together again.

May be heading up your way one of these weekends, if so I'll stop in and say hi.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Absolutely correct you are!

Maybe a couple of smaller gatherings over the season will put the right folks together and as we get to know each other something larger can fall into place. There was an east coast MTBR gathering a few years back, no reason we can't pull people together again.

May be heading up your way one of these weekends, if so I'll stop in and say hi.
    Please feel free to stop by. Send me an email a few days before ya stop by if ya wanna ride up here. Trails everywhere. Any ability level

LC
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member

I'm up for a group ride

My wife and I have put aside Father's Day weekend for years so we could attend MBW. I'm perfectly willing to drive up and ride with a group. To save on the logistics, we could all meet on Saturday morning, ride, eat, drink, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I know I am not the most vocal person on any forum I belong to. I am a passive member of the Valley Mt Bikers and Dirt Devils in the Lehigh Valley, Pa. Just south of Jim Thorpe.

Mountain Bike festivals will come and go....its the same with everything in the world. The only thing that ever remains the same is the purpose of the gathering. We all went to Jim Thorpe that weekend to be with friends and to ride. So what if there is no organized meal, entertainment, a swap meet, or a vendor ground? The reason any of us went there in the first place was to ride our bikes.

Mountain Bike weekend may move to Tamaqua, or anywhere else. For the sport, I hope it does find a new home. However, when that happens, it will be something new and totally different. This thing has been going on for the last 20 years, why let it stop now? There are plenty of natural leaders just in this sport, and hell in this thread alone.

With that being said, I will be booking my campsite for the weekend of June 17-18, 2006. You can too by calling the Mauch Chunk Lake park office at 570-325-3669, or get more information at http://www.carboncounty.com/park

There is also the Jim Thorpe Camping Resort just down the switchback. For more information visit them at http://www.jimthorpecamping.com or call 570-325-2644.

Spread the word, and I hope to see all of you the weekend of June 17-18, 2006.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Mt. Bike Weekends up date

I have been to 10 of the 20 Mt. Bike Weekends. And was a ride guide for 8 of them. Founder of MBW Dave Bucher became a personal friend and I just meet with him along with some other MBW friends last Sunday. We presented him with a quilt made with the front of all 20 MBW Tee shirts. He updated us on the details of what was happening to continue MBW. Here is a quote from his web site at http://www.soeast.com/mtnbike.htm:
    “After several years of actively working to find some place and someone to continue this great event, ALL leads went cold. The revival in nearby Tamaqua included. So I decided to take a Zen approach and let the answer find me. After all, I'd hate to disappoint all those who have an absolute MBW addiction.
    Look for an email from me, and information here, sometime toward the end of January. “
    SO IF YOU ATTENDED MBW IN 2005 you should be getting an email soon from Dave. He did tell me he would be willing to host a list of Minnie MBW’s on the MBW web site. I think that I will wait till after we get the email from Dave to make any plans. I know he had in mind for people to host these Minnie MBW’s at different locations. Lake Much Chuck Park had refused to renew the contract with Dave to continue MBW so as a Mountain biker I don’t feel very welcome there. Tamaqua wanted to host MBW but just was not ready. I think it would be better to hold a Minnie MBW’s near Tamaqua and I would be willing to help with planning but please just hang in there till we get Dave’s email. Dean
    undefined

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by deanthebikeman
    I have been to 10 of the 20 Mt. Bike Weekends. And was a ride guide for 8 of them. Founder of MBW Dave Bucher became a personal friend and I just meet with him along with some other MBW friends last Sunday. We presented him with a quilt made with the front of all 20 MBW Tee shirts. He updated us on the details of what was happening to continue MBW. Here is a quote from his web site at http://www.soeast.com/mtnbike.htm:
    “After several years of actively working to find some place and someone to continue this great event, ALL leads went cold. The revival in nearby Tamaqua included. So I decided to take a Zen approach and let the answer find me. After all, I'd hate to disappoint all those who have an absolute MBW addiction.
    Look for an email from me, and information here, sometime toward the end of January. “
    SO IF YOU ATTENDED MBW IN 2005 you should be getting an email soon from Dave. He did tell me he would be willing to host a list of Minnie MBW’s on the MBW web site. I think that I will wait till after we get the email from Dave to make any plans. I know he had in mind for people to host these Minnie MBW’s at different locations. Lake Much Chuck Park had refused to renew the contract with Dave to continue MBW so as a Mountain biker I don’t feel very welcome there. Tamaqua wanted to host MBW but just was not ready. I think it would be better to hold a Minnie MBW’s near Tamaqua and I would be willing to help with planning but please just hang in there till we get Dave’s email. Dean
    undefined
    Many thanks for passing that along......will have to wait to hear what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    Many thanks for passing that along......will have to wait to hear what happens next.
    The link does not work. How do I get a letter from Dave. I'm interested in helping and riding
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The link does not work. How do I get a letter from Dave. I'm interested in helping and riding
    Remove the ":" from the end of the link and it works.

mtbr member
    This is borderline rumor but i heard from a source at a bike mag that Jim Thorpe Borough is going to be putting on MBW. they supposidly(sp) have sponsors and are looking for some. Before this goes any farther i'm sure a call to the borough would be appropriate. I have my opinions on all this but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    This is borderline rumor but i heard from a source at a bike mag that Jim Thorpe Borough is going to be putting on MBW. they supposidly(sp) have sponsors and are looking for some. Before this goes any farther i'm sure a call to the borough would be appropriate. I have my opinions on all this but time will tell.
    I am curious of your opinion of whether this will come to fruition. I hope so, but time is short to put something so large together so quickly.

Hoopy Frood

Checked the website

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    The Jim Thorpe website only lists one biking event in the 2006 calendar: the Heritage Trails Biking Festival from September 14 - 17. I'm basing those dates on this calendar:

http://www.jimthorpe.org/events.php#sep

There's some more info on the Carbon County site:

http://www.carboncounty.com/Heritage%20Trails.htm

Sounds like it's still in the planning stages but they have lots of ideas. There's contact information at the second link.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I went to MBW a couple of years ago and was really looking forward to going back this year. Too bad it won't be held in its original form. In any event, my buds and I are still planning on getting a camp site by the lake for a night or two to relax and ride. We'll also be in Jim Thorpe several times throughout the season for weekend rides. Like one of the other posters, I'm also in the Lehigh Valley.

- Chris

VMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimpy00Wang
    Like one of the other posters, I'm also in the Lehigh Valley.

- Chris
    Chris,
    I don't know if you know but the Valley Mountain Bikers are building some awesome trail in Salisbury Twsp. Its located off of constitution drive between Allentown and Bethlehem. Check it out if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Email From Dave Bucher, Founder of Mt. Bike Weekend

For those that did not get this email from Dave here it is. Bottem line is check www.soeast.com/mini.htm for Mini MBWs

February 25, 2006

Hello to all of my Mountain Bike Weekend Friends:

You cant believe what a relief it is not having to worry about all of the many details that go, er, went into preparing for our annual outing. However, it seems like Im the only one to get any joy out of the fact that MBW is no more.

There have been a couple of false starts at a revival. There was the Tamaqua thing we discussed at last years MBW. I was prepared to help that town take over the event. But they decided that they didnt have the resources, at least for 2006.
    Then, toward the end of the year, there was a flurry of interest in relocating to the Philadelphia area. That, too, didnt pan out. So Im going to suggest a kind of out-of-the-box fix for all of those who havent had enough  Mini-MBWs.

Heres how they will work. Pick any weekend in June. Pick a place to go camping/riding with your immediate circle of friends. Agree to welcome surprise visitors. Let me know the details: Time; description of location; directions; duration of your stay; and an affirmation that youll abide by the spirit of MBW, i.e. Enjoyment of sharing experiences with, and absolute consideration for, other mountain bikers.

Ill list your information on a secret page, www.soeast.com/mini.htm, which will be available only to people who have attended MBW. Please visit it now and bookmark it so you can check it periodically. Your event will be sanctioned as an Official Mini-Mountain Bike Weekend,

I have no idea how many takers Ill get: Maybe none, maybe 25 or 30. But my goal is simple. Give all of you wonderful people some hope of continuing the fun and camaraderie of this wonderful tradition. My hope is a bit more complex: That one of these little flames will ignite and a new, full-scale version of the event will evolve.

So get busy planning your own Mini-MBW, and let me know so I can begin posting information.

By the way, check out YOUR quilt (picture attached). Its made from all the shirts from the 20 years of MBW, with a bicycle-motif cloth surround. It was presented to me by my inner sanctum of MBW advisers at a recent holiday party. However, I feel Im only the steward. Someday this will be on display as a public reminder of the fun we had together. Ill entertain your ideas on that, as well.

Best to all of you. Hope to see you on the trail, some trail, this summer.

One last note. My [email protected] and [email protected] have become spam magnets. As such, Im going to pull the plug on those address. Henceforth, please contact me, on MBW matters, at [email protected].

Dave Bucher

Members who have read this thread: 0