Any Riding Clubs near Philly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Any Riding Clubs near Philly?

I am a noobie and wanted to know if there are any riding clubs that meet up in the area?

Thanks
    Tom

mtbr member
    Where is near? You could be near philly and I could be near philly and we could be three hours away from each other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I live in Fort Washington right outside Fort Washington State Park.

mtbr member
    [PMBA] Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association
    They do group rides at the wissahickon I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    go to meetup.com and look for Philadelphia mountain biking group.
    they do rides for every level of riders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    go to meetup.com and look for Philadelphia mountain biking group.
    they do rides for every level of riders.
    Right on. And here's the link: Philadelphia Mountain Biking Meetup (Philadelphia, PA) - Meetup Great place to meet like-minded riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How hard core are these rides?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    mustang
    It all depends on the ride and amount of people who show up.
    look at the ride description it will tell you what the pace is. On most rides we usually have 3 different groups on the same ride. the one thing that is a positive for this group is no one is left behind.Check us out on the web site and join us for a ride.I usually ride w/ my dog Fenway the Dalmatian we are easy to spot stop and say hi and enjoy the riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for all this info about meet up rides. I ride the Wiss a lot but mostly by myself and on the weekends. As the days get longer i am going to join up on some of these mid week rides for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In addition to the two groups above, look also for Delaware TrailSpinners (trailspinners.org), they do rides at White Clay (DE) and FairHill (MD).

White Clay is great for new riders, super fast and flowy, not a lot of technical (unless you seek it out).

Edit: You said 'I am a noobie', not sure if that means new rider, or new to the area. If a new rider, then look for the once-a-month PMBA skills clinics on Saturday mornings. They do these at the Wis, they have a few skills courses in a field, and follow that with a beginner ride and an intermediate ride in the Wissahickon.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 04-03-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Saturday skills clinics

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Two more events to add, there's a skills clinic in Cherry Hill NJ on April 21. Mountain Bike Skills Clinic - JORBA CHAPTER - JERSEY ACTION RIDERS (Cherry Hill, NJ) - Meetup

That is being held the same Saturday as PMBA's Rally in The Valley (Rally in the Valley April 21, 20112 Wissahickon Park | [PMBA] Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association). Valley means The Wissahickon Valley Park between Roxborough, Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill. PMBA's event will be bigger, and it would be a good way to meet other riders, see where groups rides are held, and they always have a few group rides at this event.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    careful signing up for Phillymtb.org
    I singed up and sent them a donation to have some access on their forum. No one ever responded, and I was never granted access to post in the forums. After multiple attempts at contacting people through e-mail, I still never received a response.
    As far as i'm concerned, they stole $25 from me.

Members who have read this thread: 0