Any Philadelphia locals want to go for a ride 6/16-17?- Mtbr.com
    Ride, Race, Live

Any Philadelphia locals want to go for a ride 6/16-17?

Hi there,
    I'm coming into town for a combination of wedding, and business meeting.
    I've boxed my bike up, and plan on hitting these 2 rides (unless someone has a better suggestion)

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701...elphia-belmont
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...ssahickon-loop

I'm staying downtown a couple blocks from Rittenhouse Square.

My plan is to ride Friday morning, and Saturday morning, and maybe Sunday, but post wedding I doubt it.

thanks
    -mickey

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good choices, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    my suggestion would be ride wiss friday and belmont saturday. wiss trails could be a bit busy saturday. belmont is never busy.

also on the beginning of the belmont loop they have you riding on the connector trail in parts; dive into the singletrack right side, it all comes back to the main trail. one of those trails is shown on trail forks but there is another around the ultimate field that is very fun (if you like technical)... i'd also warn all the road crossings to get down to the crossbow section of trails will be confusing but there is a new supernice loop down there that is worth riding! don't be afraid to get lost at belmont nothing is that long... open streetmap has a good complete map of the trails if you want to do more riding that what you have listed there.

most important; have fun! let us know how it goes.

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    my suggestion would be ride wiss friday and belmont saturday. wiss trails could be a bit busy saturday. belmont is never busy.

also on the beginning of the belmont loop they have you riding on the connector trail in parts; dive into the singletrack right side, it all comes back to the main trail. one of those trails is shown on trail forks but there is another around the ultimate field that is very fun (if you like technical)... i'd also warn all the road crossings to get down to the crossbow section of trails will be confusing but there is a new supernice loop down there that is worth riding! don't be afraid to get lost at belmont nothing is that long... open streetmap has a good complete map of the trails if you want to do more riding that what you have listed there.

most important; have fun! let us know how it goes.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I decided not to bring my bike, and instead rent one from here.
    Cadence Cycling & Multisport - Philadelphia, PA | Specialized | Giant | Liv | Wilier | Service | Training
    I had it all boxed up and ready to go, but I called Cadence and they rent Giant Anthem 2's for $60 a day. Shipping my bike on United would have been $300 round trip, and having to haul it around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cadence are good people. perfect access to both wiss and belmont; you can ride out the door to either park... i don't know how you plan to get to cadence, but it is right next to a major bus stop (or train station a 1/4 mile away); so getting there from center city would not be hard without a car.

bigger than you.
    +1 for cadence and many of their staff are quite familiar with the trails.

Ride, Race, Live
    I rode Wissahickon on Friday and did 13 or so miles. I liked the yellow trail the best. I struggled with rear wheel grip when climbing. My rental a Giant Anthem 2 had XC tires and did not dig in the way I am used too so paid for a new rear tire hoping for some more traction the next day.
    Saturday I did 12 miles in Belmont. I liked some of it but all of the logs one after another got tedious. The new tire helped but for some reason rental bikes have tubed tires so I still couldn't get the traction I'm used to to get over obstacles. You know like LOGS. I get it. The park isn't technical on its own so this is someone's idea of adding a challenge, but come on. Today my triceps are sore from trying so many manuals.
    I'm glad I got to go for some rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I rode Wissahickon on Friday and did 13 or so miles. I liked the yellow trail the best. I struggled with rear wheel grip when climbing. My rental a Giant Anthem 2 had XC tires and did not dig in the way I am used too so paid for a new rear tire hoping for some more traction the next day.
    Saturday I did 12 miles in Belmont. I liked some of it but all of the logs one after another got tedious. The new tire helped but for some reason rental bikes have tubed tires so I still couldn't get the traction I'm used to to get over obstacles. You know like LOGS. I get it. The park isn't technical on its own so this is someone's idea of adding a challenge, but come on. Today my triceps are sore from trying so many manuals.
    I'm glad I got to go for some rides.
    Yes, Belmont has lots of logs but not many rocks. But in many ways that is the best example of traditional east coast PA riding. There is a reason why EWR made bikes with higher BBs! I loved Belmont. Many of the trails are still hard to find and a little rough but still a fantastic place.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    too add; most of the logs are natural. when new stuff falls at belmont it just adds to the challenge... lots of fallen trees means lots of logovers. it is getting a little more maintained these days; but lots of us still push hard to keep that old school "belmont flow" from getting ruined. i don't think anyone has a good first ride there... it is an acquired taste.

i used to say to myself that if i didn't crash at least once riding belmont i was probably going to slow...

bigger than you.
    Everyone who rides the Belmont regularly hated it for at least a year, coming back out of anger, resentment and spite. Those of us who love belmont, actually like (most of) those logs, believe it or not. Finding the flow in the Belmont Plateau requires a mixture of skill and memorization; I've only met one person who liked it their first time out, it's most certainly an acquired taste.

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    too add; most of the logs are natural. when new stuff falls at belmont it just adds to the challenge... lots of fallen trees means lots of logovers. it is getting a little more maintained these days; but lots of us still push hard to keep that old school "belmont flow" from getting ruined. i don't think anyone has a good first ride there... it is an acquired taste.

i used to say to myself that if i didn't crash at least once riding belmont i was probably going to slow...
    I'd you don't crash you aren't trying hard enough right?

When I first got back into riding I switched to clipless pedals because that's what "real" riders did.
    ha! I spent months crashing my brains out because I couldn't get out of the pedals fast enough on tricky terrain.
    I like to go for it, and the flats have made that a lot easier.
    The only hard crash I had was at Belmont and it came late in the day when I was in area that really doesn't see a lot of traffic. It was so overgrown I could barely see the trail, and my left pedal got hooked on a hidden cut log.
    I landed hard on my left knee, but thankfully I always ride with knee pads now(See earlier comment about crashing) as I came down directly on another hidden log. Otherwise I stayed up pretty well, but had lots foot dabs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah those hidden logs are a real b!tch in the summer when they get hidden hidden in the weeds (i usually get caught once or twice a year exactly as you describe). lots of the little logs are placed strategically along the trail are to keep the singletrack very narrow over there; unfortunately in the summer you can't see some of them.

although i ride wiss much faster most of my good crashes are at belmont!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I'd you don't crash you aren't trying hard enough right?

When I first got back into riding I switched to clipless pedals because that's what "real" riders did.
    ha! I spent months crashing my brains out because I couldn't get out of the pedals fast enough on tricky terrain.
    I like to go for it, and the flats have made that a lot easier.
    The only hard crash I had was at Belmont and it came late in the day when I was in area that really doesn't see a lot of traffic. It was so overgrown I could barely see the trail, and my left pedal got hooked on a hidden cut log.
    I landed hard on my left knee, but thankfully I always ride with knee pads now(See earlier comment about crashing) as I came down directly on another hidden log. Otherwise I stayed up pretty well, but had lots foot dabs.
    I think gigantic is right, the first time at Belmont is hard as you don't know where the features are located. Once you do, the place becomes tons of fun.

However, the logs are not the biggest problem in Belmont. That distinction belongs to the crack heads sleeping or pooping in the park. And they don't take kindly to being disturbed!

That area has tons of great riding. The Wiss is mainly double track but with a good amount of rocks (one side). Belmont is tight with logs but no rocks. Head up to Sals for rocks and singletrack. Nox is tight and all about flow. Man, do I miss that place!
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.