Any "epic"/multiday trails in pa?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Any "epic"/multiday trails in pa?

I'm looking to do a multiday bike trip before i go back to school. I know there arent many trails around the PA area that can rival those out west, however, I was wondering if there were any trails that would take more than one day to ride and that you could camp on so you could have a multiday trip. I am mostly interested in the PA area but anything in the northeast may be doable. any suggestions?
    my other ride is an ice-cream truck.

my church is the woods
    You could spend a few days riding Rothrock or Michaux state forests from one end to the other. Epic's galore in those areas

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    You could spend a few days riding Rothrock or Michaux state forests from one end to the other. Epic's galore in those areas

those are great suggestions...

i would also suggest setting up a basecamp somehwere and hitting loops that let you come back every night. taking enough gear with you to be self supported for more than a day on an mtb would be pretty tough. sure it would be doable but i think you'd have a lot more fun riding trails without all your gear for a multiday trip strapped to your bike and back; especially in places with "real" trails like micheaux and rothrock.

if i hade the time i might even seek out a couple epic rides that are within reasonable distance of each other, spend a good long day riding, drive to the next spot, set up camp and repeat the next day.

let us know what you come up with! PA sure does have some nice trails to explore. i hope to do more of this type of thing again when my kids get a little older.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you could easily set up base camp at Penn Roosevelt (assuming the state doesnt shut down the state parks) and ride for two very full days right from camp in Rothrock State forest. would be alot more fun than bike-packing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thanks for all of the suggestions guys! i like the idea of riding then driving to set up basecamp somewhere else for the next day. keep the suggestions coming!
    my other ride is an ice-cream truck.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Go to Seven Springs and hook up with some of the locals...they can take you on a different ride every day for a month!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    RB Winter?

2 wheel drifter
    second on the penn rosevelt. In may camped one night and rode two days, 35 miles one day and 30 the next. there was certainly more to be done but its going to have to wait till fall. Given the nature of the area setting up a base camp does seem the best option.

I can't say there is much at the penn camp area other than picnic tables and a fire pit. When I head back to Rothrock I'm going to go the free permit route...

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    there is potable water there that the permit sites don't have, but if you bring enough of your own, its not an issue. also Penn Roosevelt is a state park so technically no alcohol where as its not an issue as far as i know at the state forest permit sites

mtbr member
    A couple of friends and I are headed up to State College on July 31- Aug. 2.
    We're planning on staying at a hotel...probably in town, but are open to suggestions on spots nearby that facilitate the riding.
    Any advice re: Rothrock. Ideally, well get a short ride in Friday, a long epic in on Saturday and a decent ride in Sunday before leaving.

From what I understand, the Purple Lizard maps are a bit out of date, and the new editions aren't due till the fall.

Any suggestions?
    Are there any group rides that time of year?

For a shorter ride, is there anything we can ride to from town? I'm ok with a few miles on the road to get to a trailhead.

Thanks!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    drop me a pm with an email and i can email you some ride descriptions. also check out the maps on the nittanymba.org site, they have most of the trails up to date. as far as rides from town, theres one area but its not really mapped nor signed so i would hate to send you in there on your own. Im gonna be out west riding or Id plan to hook up with ya for some rides. as far as group rides, the organized group rides are mainly just on the weekday evenings. one of the riding areas in rothrock is only 15 minutes car ride from just about anywhere in town. shingletown would be really close too

Members who have read this thread: 0