Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muskoka

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]

Allegrippis Trails is one of the top ranked XC trail systems in North America, with over 30 miles of single track designed by IMBA specifically for mtbiking and built by the US Army Corp of Engineers. These rolling and swooping trails are in the Allegheny Mountains around Raystown Lake Recreational Area, and there are great camp grounds right close by the trail heads. A 5:15am start from Muskoka in central Ontario got me to Raystown Lake PA and set up in Seven Points at Ridge Camp by 2:30pm. I lost a half hour as border security searched my vehicle & camper, confiscating my contraband of 3 oranges, 1 green pepper, and 1 tomato!
    I set up camp and headed over to the Dark Hollow trail head, which was just up and around the corner from me...

Rode Dark Hollow> Shade> Dirt Surfer> Barrel Bay, and back up Dark Hollow. I passed on Allegheny Trail because I didn't have much left in the tank after being on the road for over 9 hrs, then riding these hills on the grand total of a bowl of oatmeal, 1 hb egg, 2 bananas, 1 apple, and half a peanut butter/cheese/honey sandwich all day. Headed back to camp to chill & crash...

The morning was fogged in, and so was I! Finally got it together and hit the trails around 11am, just as the fog was lifting to reveal blue skies and puffy clouds. Daytime temps were ~85F entire time I was here. Rode Buck> Doe> Osprey> Hydro Loop CW> Eagle> back to the trail head via Doe & Buck. Buckwallow meets Buck...

I called it a ride, since my friend Evan was on his way out from Philly. Evan is less than half my age, so I really needed to save some legs for the morrow. Explored the Raystown Lake area for the rest of the afternoon...

Meanwhile Evan had arrived, pitched his tent, and pulled out a great dinner of grilled pork loin/veggie shish kabobs plus couscous from his cooler...awesome! We were on the trails by 9 am next morning, riding Buck> Allie> Grippis> Ridge> Ray's Revenge> Sidewinder> Osprey> Hydro Loop CCW> Osprey> Doe> Buck...

By late afternoon Evan left to return to Philly, leaving me to relax for the evening and dream about coming back someday!
    Next morning I was on the road by 5:30, back home in Muskoka just past 2pm. Awesome trip!!!

Link to the pics...

https://goo.gl/photos/anvuaR1MPFW2TA7t5
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 03-26-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice looking pics. Sounds like a fun trip.

Really hoping to get out that way early next year

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like fun. We'll be there next weekend. Can't wait.

Oh yeah, PB, cheese, and honey, huh? Interesting. Not saying it sounds bad, just... interesting.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Looks like fun. We'll be there next weekend. Can't wait.

Oh yeah, PB, cheese, and honey, huh? Interesting. Not saying it sounds bad, just... interesting.
    LOL! You are 2nd to comment, my friend C said EWWWW!!! the cheese would make her gag. I think the honey helps negate that. I started making these 40 yrs ago as a university student, I found they would fuel me the whole day!! Mind you, it has to be quality bread, cheese and PB, not the processed stuff.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Nice trip report. You ever ride EVL? You should stop there on your way back to the great white north.

BTW - I love that little camper. That thing is my dream. Just big enough for me, so I get to leave everything behind. Man, that thing looks sweet.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Muskoka

Last but not least...

I do want to mention the wonderful family camped across the lane from me. They live about 1.5 hrs from Raystown Lake and camp here often to mostly boat, fish, swim,and hike. Mom and dad early 40's, 3 boys from pre-teen to early teens, and 2 older teenage daughters. Mom looked like she was just out of college herself, you would never think she has had 5 kids! All were very engaged and engaging...so nice to see at a time when youth are mostly walking about like zombies looking at their smart phones. In the evening they brought over firewood for Evan and I, and even lit the fire for us!! Then they made for each of us something called a "Mountain Pizza Pie", which is essentially 2 pieces of bread with pizza sauce and whatever toppings grilled over the fire in something similar to a clam shell waffle iron. The evening before I left, the dad brought me a loaf of home made zucchini bread, which was just DELISH!!... and I consumed big chunks of it on my drive home.
    A big thank you to them, American hospitality and generosity at it's finest!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    Nice trip report. You ever ride EVL? You should stop there on your way back to the great white north.

BTW - I love that little camper. That thing is my dream. Just big enough for me, so I get to leave everything behind. Man, that thing looks sweet.
    I don't know EVL, care to elaborate? Yep, I'm loving the little camper, cozy for 2, luxurious for 1. I was out to Bay of Fundy with it not long ago, here is that trip...

https://goo.gl/photos/YkBqi3YMczya8hzK9

AND Manitoulin Island...

https://goo.gl/photos/L9F4TbFEU3zQec9o7
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 03-26-2019 at 07:35 AM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    A Mountain Pie....that's a Pennsylvania Delicacy! Glad you enjoyed your trip south of the boarder! Come back soon.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Looks nice, I'm heading there for the first time Sunday morning, rain or shine I will be on the trails. I got one day to spend on the trails, what is a must do, in your opinion?
    2017 Surly Ogre

Like a BOSS
    Looks like you had a blast! Great photo's, thanks for sharing them.
    Adam Christopher
    Strava
    Instagram
    YouTube

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Looks nice, I'm heading there for the first time Sunday morning, rain or shine I will be on the trails. I got one day to spend on the trails, what is a must do, in your opinion?
    I would do this....Buck> Doe> Osprey> Hydro Loop CCW> Eagle> back to the trail head via Doe & Buck. Osprey going down is just a blast! And Hydro Loop counter clockwise is really sweet! But you can't go wrong with any of the trails there....have a great ride!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I would do this....Buck> Doe> Osprey> Hydro Loop CCW> Eagle> back to the trail head via Doe & Buck. Osprey going down is just a blast! And Hydro Loop counter clockwise is really sweet! But you can't go wrong with any of the trails there....have a great ride!
    hey thanks my friend who I am meeting wants to know how the south trails are? and he was thinking of giving this a try:
    buck > Allie > Red legs > grippis> ridge > Berry Patch > sidewinder > osprey > Hydro CCW > eagle > osprey > osprey > beer > osprey > beer > osprey.....

Or is the way you suggested a better ride?
    2017 Surly Ogre

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    hey thanks my friend who I am meeting wants to know how the south trails are? and he was thinking of giving this a try:
    buck > Allie > Red legs > grippis> ridge > Berry Patch > sidewinder > osprey > Hydro CCW > eagle > osprey > osprey > beer > osprey > beer > osprey.....

Or is the way you suggested a better ride?
    I can't compare because we came down Ray's Revenge and missed Berry Patch all together. Neither Evan or I were all that fond of Ray's Revenge actually, not exactly sure why. You will miss most of Osprey downhill going that way and it was my favourite along with Hydro CCW. Sidewinder is fun for sure, but climbing Osprey is a biatch, I preferred working my way back through Eagle and the Switch. But like I said, it's all great stuff and you will love it! The south trails (by which I think you mean Dark Hollow trailhead) are also very nice. Maybe a bit stonier and narrower single track than the north trails, but not by much. I think I enjoyed Barrel Bay the best there, but I didn't get time to ride Allegheny so no comment on it either. Update us next week on what you did or didn't like

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ... Mom looked like she was just out of college herself, you would never think she has had 5 kids! ...
    Giggity.

Kidding. I am going to try your sandwich while we are there this next weekend.

Muskoka
    Giggity.

Right on! I use my own recipe home baked whole wheat/flax bread and my favourite cheese is a 2 or 3 yr aged white cheddar.
    The peanut butter is just ground peanuts...no additives. The honey is liquid, not solid type.
    Regardless if you like the sandwich or not, it will keep you well stoked for all that riding! 8-)
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 08-31-2014 at 06:23 PM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Giggity.

Bread recipe for Ryan, as requested...
    4 cups "Best for Bread" whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons skim milk powder
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons ground flax seed
    2 tablespoons whole flax seed
    3 teaspoons quick rise yeast
    2 table spoons olive oil
    1.5 cups water
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 03-26-2019 at 07:36 AM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I approve of this for a 1-day visit.

If you finish this route and have time, doing a CW circle (every left turn) of the entire trail system is a nice ride, too. Most people take photos of their bikes at the end of Ridge Trail, which is about 3 miles in and has an amazing view of the lake.

PA
    I am always so torn between going down Osprey and going down Ray's Revenge. I absolutely love this place. I have been there twice this year and I'm planning to go at least one more time this month.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    I am always so torn between going down Osprey and going down Ray's Revenge. I absolutely love this place. I have been there twice this year and I'm planning to go at least one more time this month.
    I want to come back also. Despite the distance for me, I think it is worth it at least once a season. I enjoyed Osprey much more than Ray's, can't really define why based on one visit. I also want to spend more time riding all the trails from the Dark Hollow access, I only got in there once but liked those trails too.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Just got back, this place is Heaven. I could only imagine how great Moab must be.

Even though we had overcast skys and a light drizzle the paths where in great shape, we did 16 miles day one than Monday morning we headed to the south section and did another 10, it is much more rocky down there and more tight and technical. I loved it!
    2017 Surly Ogre

Muskoka
    Just in case I get a chance to come back this year, when do the fall colours peak down there? Here in Muskoka in central Ontario it is typically around end of Sep thru 1st week of Oct.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Just in case I get a chance to come back this year, when do the fall colours peak down there? Here in Muskoka in central Ontario it is typically around end of Sep thru 1st week of Oct.
    I would have to say late September they start but the October is the safest bet. Weather has been really weird in PA this year one day its 90 and humid the next day 68 and breezy.

I also would love to ride it one more time this year,after doing my local trails there such a let down...lol I never did get to do rays revenge =(
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    All loaded up. Got some honey, pb, whole gran bread and some good local aged cheddar too. No lie.

Head out tomorrow after work. Ride Saturday. Ride Sunday. Head back in time to slide into work about noon Monday.

Muskoka
    All loaded up. Got some honey, pb, whole gran bread and some good local aged cheddar too. No lie.

Head out tomorrow after work. Ride Saturday. Ride Sunday. Head back in time to slide into work about noon Monday.
    Sweet...you will kill those trails!!! I have a friend who does team adventure racing (mtbiking, paddling, running)and he uses my sandwich with one modification...he puts non-hydrogenated margarine on the bread before the peanut butter, says it makes it go down easier while you are eating on the run. I have tried it that way too..pretty good! Wishing I was back there already and it has been less than 2 weeks since I was there..LOL!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    nice xv... here's mine at raystown...

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-2014-08-08-16.42.07.jpg

Muskoka
    Yep...liking the XV. My second Subaru, and doubt I would want anything but a Suby now. These pics will give a good hint as to why, my neighbourhood looks like this in winter...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Excellent thread!

mtbr member
    Good stuff in this thread, Raystown was the first place I rode a MTB (been a roadie for a while) went there for a buddy's bachelor party a few years ago and I had just bought a SS 29er, that place is amazing. My friends are headed there right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We (Osprey Packs) look forward to our annual trip to Raystown Lake for the DirtRag DirtFest event. This year we filmed a video out there promoting the Allegrippis trail system and our Viper/Verve packs. Here is a link for any one that wants to see some good trail footage including a blast down Osprey Trail:

Trail Series - Allegrippis Trails, Raystown Lake, PA - YouTube

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    We (Osprey Packs) look forward to our annual trip to Raystown Lake for the DirtRag DirtFest event. This year we filmed a video out there promoting the Allegrippis trail system and our Viper/Verve packs. Here is a link for any one that wants to see some good trail footage including a blast down Osprey Trail:

Trail Series - Allegrippis Trails, Raystown Lake, PA - YouTube
    That is a sweet little vid, I love the caterpillar climbing the tree. I think they sell Osprey pacs in Muskoka Outfitters near my home. Are the pacs named after the trail by any chance? Dirt Fest looks great, will have to dig into that a bit. I think I will add your vid to my thread on my home forum too....Eastern Canada

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, this turned out to be a cool thread. Weekend and trails were awesome. Sandwich blew my mind how good it was! One of my buddies though is a genius. Next time, I am trying it with bacon too.

BTW- Subaru family here too. We are on our third and fourth Subaru (2006 and 2009 Foresters)here. Just did the timing belt and a few other preventative maintenance tasks on the 06, so I hope to have it for many more years. I have no intention of ever buying another kind of car. I still do want a Jeep, but that would be in addition to whatever Subaru I have at the time.

Muskoka
    Ha!!! Please let me know how it is with bacon added...sounds interesting! I for sure want to return to the Allegrippis Trails, already wondering if I can still fit it in this year...mid Oct sounds nice with leaves peaking

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

The White Jeff W
    Wow, this turned out to be a cool thread. Weekend and trails were awesome. Sandwich blew my mind how good it was! One of my buddies though is a genius. Next time, I am trying it with bacon too.

BTW- Subaru family here too. We are on our third and fourth Subaru (2006 and 2009 Foresters)here. Just did the timing belt and a few other preventative maintenance tasks on the 06, so I hope to have it for many more years. I have no intention of ever buying another kind of car. I still do want a Jeep, but that would be in addition to whatever Subaru I have at the time.
    My Outback packed for a Raystown trip last summer. I had an '00 Impreza RS before that. My son is building it into a rally car.

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-uploadfromtaptalk1375384008945.jpg
    No moss...

PA
    I made my reservations at a nearby campground for next Friday and Saturday! Cannot wait to hit the trails up there again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice Jeffw-13!!! I particularly like the one bike on the back.

Made our reservations to rent the same cabin for Dirt Fest.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We were just out there this past weekend. First ride on the Specialized Fatboy and man does that thing rip.

Trail conditions were nice, if a bit dusty.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    My Outback packed for a Raystown trip last summer. I had an '00 Impreza RS before that. My son is building it into a rally car.
    It was nice to see so many Subies on my trip through NY and PA on my way to Ray's!!! Which is just like up here in central Ontario cottage country...there are Subarus everywhere. Here is my previous ride, a 2002 WRX bugeye wagon. I had this car for almost 11 yrs, it was a hoot to drive and totally reliable too!! The guy that bought it from me makes his living as an auto detailer, has it spiffed up and looking almost like new and went StageII @ 285 HP, short shifter, catback exhaust etc etc...so nice to see it still in nice shape and going strong! It was completely stock whole time I had it...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh man, I LOVE the bugeye.

Muskoka
    Really?!...
    American shakedown: Police won't charge you, but they'll grab your money - World - CBC News

My experience has been totally positive. On my return drive from Ray's I was pulled over on shoulder in New York State to change CD's and got out to check the trailer and grab a bite out of my fridge. Cop pulled over going the other way just to make sure everything was OK and then was on his way. And who carries any amount of cash these days anyway!!?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Oh man, I LOVE the bugeye.
    Me too, my favourite!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

PA
    Is anyone planning on being at the trails tomorrow (10/23)? I've had a trip planned with a friend for weeks who just decided to bail less than 24 hours prior.

Muskoka
    I had planned a return trip last week ( drive down Tue, return home Fri ) because I had some time and the colours would be peaking, but the weather forecast looked rather grim ( 25 - 35 mm rain ) and not worth 8 -9 hrs of driving each way so I stayed home. Looking forward to next year!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 10-24-2014 at 09:18 AM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, it rained a LOT last week here. Good call.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    So what is the hunting schedule at Raystown this year. I am in pittsburgh visiting my parents and want to make it back there this fall.

What bruise?
    For the last few years the trails "officially" close only for rifle deer season. We still ride on the Sundays since there isn't any hunting.

Highly recommend bright jersey or jacket until the end of muzzleloader.

PA
    Is there any snow left in the Raystown area? Surely it is going to be at least another month before the trails are in rideable condition, correct?

Muskoka
    Is there any snow left in the Raystown area? Surely it is going to be at least another month before the trails are in rideable condition, correct?
    Per their facebook page, the trails are clear but soft, and they are asking riders to stay off for a few weeks to avoid damage to the tread. Exception being fat bikes which have no or minimal impact.
    Meanwhile, here in central Ontario...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    The trails on the South end are dry open for riding. Heading up tomorrow morning to kiss the dirt. I'll post some pictures if I think of it.

Muskoka
    Although i prefer late August it seems like late July might be my only option this year for a return to Allegrippis. I suspect it will be hot, busy, and possibly buggy? What can I expect if I avoid weekends?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a trip to hit the trails here in a few weeks. She has not been on a bike in about 5 years so she's nervous about rough trails and steep hills. Are there some more beginner friendly trails anyone can recommend here? I don't want to get her in over her head on one of the first trips out.

Thanks in advance guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Although i prefer late August it seems like late July might be my only option this year for a return to Allegrippis. I suspect it will be hot, busy, and possibly buggy? What can I expect if I avoid weekends?
    You'll be fine during the week. It will just be riders camping, which isn't a whole lot. Peak times are Saturday/Sunday afternoons 10AM-4PM. Even then it's really just crowded at the trailheads, hard to find a parking spot. Once out on the trails it's never really too bad as their are 30+ miles of singletrack. All the trails are 2 way, so you need to keep your head up, but the most popular trails are generally ridden in the one preferred direction. Read ride reports, or ask and you'll find out preferred directions.

Afternoons can get hot and sticky in the summer = mid 80s, high humidity. I prefer evening rides in the summer - start around 5, ride till dusk.

Bugs are never that big of an issue there. If you stop a lot in the evenings, then yes the bugs will get to you. Just keep moving and limit the lollygagging.

Muskoka
    ^ Thanks for that, sounds good! I was less concerned with the trails being crowded, more so about the Seven Points Campgrounds being full, Ridge Camp being the one I used last year. I live in cottage country in central Ontario and here the last 2 weeks of July are busiest 2 weeks of the season because it is when the most people take their summer vacation and trying to get a campsite here is next to impossible if you haven't pre-booked. Which is main reason I will come to Allegrippis during the week and avoid weekends. The temps you give are same as what I experienced there late August last summer so I'm fine with that.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by crfnick56 View Post
    Hey guys, my girlfriend and I are planning on taking a trip to hit the trails here in a few weeks. She has not been on a bike in about 5 years so she's nervous about rough trails and steep hills. Are there some more beginner friendly trails anyone can recommend here? I don't want to get her in over her head on one of the first trips out.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Take a look at one of the trail maps (like this one: MAP - Allegrippis Trails) and stick to the green and blue trails. Black trails are still not difficult, but have more elevation change, which allows for higher speeds with greater penalty for mistakes, and of course more climbing. Buck, Fawn, Doe, as well as Sleek Dog and Eagle are all not difficult.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Take a look at one of the trail maps (like this one: MAP - Allegrippis Trails) and stick to the green and blue trails. Black trails are still not difficult, but have more elevation change, which allows for higher speeds with greater penalty for mistakes, and of course more climbing. Buck, Fawn, Doe, as well as Sleek Dog and Eagle are all not difficult.
    OK perfect. I have never been out there before and with it being only her second time on a bike I didn't want to get her into some rough stuff shes not ready for.

How packed are the trails on holiday weekends? I'm looking to head out this sunday.

mtbr member
    I'll be heading to the Allegrippis trails for the 1st time next weekend and I was wondering about camping there. Would I need to reserve a campsite or could I just show up and wing it? I don't have a trailer or anything, it would just be a couple of tents. Any local hotels you would recommend instead of camping? The website for the trails leaves a lot to be desired so any info anyone could throw my way would be much appreciated.
    "Lock S-Foils in attack position"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogueldr View Post
    I'll be heading to the Allegrippis trails for the 1st time next weekend and I was wondering about camping there. Would I need to reserve a campsite or could I just show up and wing it? I don't have a trailer or anything, it would just be a couple of tents. Any local hotels you would recommend instead of camping? The website for the trails leaves a lot to be desired so any info anyone could throw my way would be much appreciated.
    If you are just tenting then Susquehannock Campground should be perfect and right by the trails. I think you would be fine winging it this time of year... unless there is something special going on like Dirtfest.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

The White Jeff W
    You can check availability and reserve a campsite at the links below. I used it when I camped there. Seven Points has much better facilities, Susquehannock is more primitive. Both are close to the trails but Susquehannock is more in the meat of it.

Seven Points Facility Details - SEVEN POINTS (PA), PA - Recreation.gov

Susquehannock Facility Details - SUSQUEHANNOCK, PA - Recreation.gov

Right now there are dozens of sites available so you would probably be fine to just show up at the gate and get a site, tho if it were me Id use the site & cherry pick a good one.

Me & a couple friends made a day trip out there yesterday. Perfect weather, dry trails. Incredible trip
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Just what I needed. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Any advice on which sites would be best?

The White Jeff W
    Depends on what you like in a campsite. Close to the water? Close to the bathrooms? Close to parking? Seclusion? I picked one that was close to the parking area so I wouldn't have to lug my gear a 1/2 mile. If you & your friends are gonna party late into the night pick one that's away from other sites. Think about what you want then spend a little time looking at the maps. If you click on the icons on the map it will show you a picture of the campsite.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    All reserved for next weekend. Got a site at Susqehannock. Can't wait! Been wanting to hit this place for years! Thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    All reserved for next weekend. Got a site at Susqehannock. Can't wait! Been wanting to hit this place for years! Thanks for the help guys.
    nice...I just got back from my first trip of the season. trails are in great shape. I'll be back at the end of june.

The White Jeff W

You'll love it. We took a guy last weekend for his first trip and he's still raving about it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi, Was just reading through your Raystown thread. I am planning a trip there myself.

I saw a mention about EVL. Which is Ellicottvile, NY. Has to be close to 50 miles of trails in the two or three state forests that encompass the riding area. The riding there is superb.

Here is an IMBA link about the trails in Ellicottville. https://www.imba.com/epics/ellicottville-epic-new-york

You can aslo check out the wnymba.org website which has a plethora of information about riding in Ellicottville as well as several other places in the same general vicinity.

There is also some riding across I86 in Red House State Park. Most of the riding in Red House is kind of grassy double track with a little bit of new single track thrown in.

It has to be quite a bit closer to Ontario. Plus you can camp for free in the state forests where the trails are. I highly recommend a visit.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    First off I have to say that this past weekend was so worth the 4 hour trip, that I'm scheming on how to get back there again as soon as possible. The trails were everything I read about and more! The only problem is that I wasn't there long enough!
    I am stating right now, no BS, that Osprey is the best mountain bike trail I HAVE EVER RIDDEN!!! When I got to the bottom, there was a guy sitting on the bench at the trail intersection timing his buddy on the Hydro Loop and I sheepishly asked him if he had heard me hootin' and hollerin' as I came down. He laughed and said he had heard me but since it was my first time on Osprey it's to be expected.
    My only riding regret is that I mistakenly hit Ray's Revenge backwards first. My plan was to take Eagle>Sidewinder>Loco-Motive>Ridge>Ray's. But when I got to the intersection of Side and Ray's I went right and up Ray instead of left and up Loco. THAT HURT. Thanks a lot you guys from Ohio with the bad directions.
    Overall on the weekend I wound up hitting, Eagle, Sleek Dog, Switch, Doe, Fawn, A bit of Buck, Sidewinder, Hydro, and Ray's. Some of them I hit multiple times but every one was a blast. Like I said I wish I had more time.
    I would feel bad if I didn't mention my new bud AAron that had the campsite next to me. This dude was a camper. His set up was so sweet and he was the nicest guy ever. Cool to hang and have some beers with and just chill after a great day of riding. He also gave me some deer meat for the first time in my life and man it was awesome. Maybe it was just the way he prepared it but, damn that sh*t was good. He also offered to make me a mountain pie many times but I was usually too full to fit one.
    Overall this weekend was everything ,riding-wise, that I could've hoped for. My supposed riding and camping partner is a whole different story that I won't get into here. Let's just say that I did ALL my riding solo.
    Thanks to all of you guys who gave me advice and I'll definitely hit you guys up next time I head out there.

The White Jeff W
    Glad you had a good time. Next time get over to the other side (Dark Hollow, Shade, Allegheny, etc) A little more climby but its got some amazing flow too.
    No moss...

Muskoka
    I am stating right now, no BS, that Osprey is the best mountain bike trail I HAVE EVER RIDDEN!!!
    I will second that...lol!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    have to agree, didn't do all trails there in our first short of many trips to come, but my son would set up camp on Osprey only.

mtbr member
    I will second that...lol!
    as long as you don't ride towards the road... i made that mistake many times.

mtbr member
    I think I found one thing bad about this place. I'm sitting here at work and all I'm doing is planning out my routes for the next time I get to Raystown, which probably won't be until next year, unless I can finagle a trip towards the end of the summer. Also I spend a lot of time at work with my iPod on, doing mindless data entry, and earlier a song from the Collective video Roam came on and all I could do was close my eyes and imagine myself flowing down Osprey! I've only been there once but I think I'm already a junkie that needs another fix!

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Allegheny trail counter clockwise on the south loop is my second favorite trail there. A real roller coaster with miles of speed for sure. But bring a load bell or your screaming voice because opposing traffic could land you in the ER.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

smartass
    Agreed on Allegheny, that trail is amazing.

Osprey and Hydro are great short trails, but Allegheny is the best of the longer trails.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Allegheny trail counter clockwise on the south loop is my second favorite trail there. A real roller coaster with miles of speed for sure. But bring a load bell or your screaming voice because opposing traffic could land you in the ER.
    When we rode that a couple weeks ago there was a hiker going in the clockwise direction. Fortunately we stopped at the overlook just after the rock garden or there would've been carnage 'cause I definitely flew through there.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Spending a few days in the area in a little over a week. Will be hitting these trails as well as taking a day trip up to Rothrock. With Allegrippis, what is the best trailhead? Same with Rothrock. Can't wait to check these trails out!!

mtbr member
    I was worried that I would hate my local trails now that I've had a taste of Allegrippis but it was the exact opposite. I think some of the speeds I hit at Raystown made me push that much harder on my local trails and the results were great. I felt like the newfound speed bug I picked up there, combined with my knowledge of my local trails made for some real smile inducing riding.The only glaring downfall is how small my local trails are compared to Allegrippis. But really where else even remotely close to us compares?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I was worried that I would hate my local trails now that I've had a taste of Allegrippis but it was the exact opposite. I think some of the speeds I hit at Raystown made me push that much harder on my local trails and the results were great. I felt like the newfound speed bug I picked up there, combined with my knowledge of my local trails made for some real smile inducing riding.The only glaring downfall is how small my local trails are compared to Allegrippis. But really where else even remotely close to us compares?
    I actually find allegrippis lacks flow even going mach schnell. I do think that after riding Raystown though most people will start to see how much speed they can carry locally. The majority of the rollers can only be pumped and not doubled and compared to most well built singletrack in rougher terrain, its just kind of boring. I have tons of stravas top 10s at Raystown before someone says I need to go faster..... I go plenty fast.

I am pittsburgh originally and these are now my local trails

Through the Fall V2 Video - Pinkbike

that is flow, not entirely smooth trail that leaves no opportunity for creativity

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I will be riding these trails Tues and Wed. Looks like it is supposed to rain for a few days leading up to then. How well do the trails drain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdarnall237 View Post
    I will be riding these trails Tues and Wed. Looks like it is supposed to rain for a few days leading up to then. How well do the trails drain?
    GRIPS loves a little water. Should be nice and sticky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I actually find allegrippis lacks flow even going mach schnell. I do think that after riding Raystown though most people will start to see how much speed they can carry locally. The majority of the rollers can only be pumped and not doubled and compared to most well built singletrack in rougher terrain, its just kind of boring. I have tons of stravas top 10s at Raystown before someone says I need to go faster..... I go plenty fast.

I am pittsburgh originally and these are now my local trails

Through the Fall V2 Video - Pinkbike

that is flow, not entirely smooth trail that leaves no opportunity for creativity
    Boring?? Give me a break dude. There's no way you get through trails like Ray's Revenge, Sidewinder, Allegheny, Grippis, etc, without a smile on your face.

There are plenty of areas that aren't "entirely smooth" that are open to "creativity" that you can fully shred. Granted it's an IMBA designed trail network, not a downhill park, but your comments make it sound like Rails-to-trails.

smartass
    I understand what he's saying. Maybe it's not boring, but it is repetitive. Every trail is the same thing, just a little different. Some are steeper, some are tighter, some are faster, but it's all basically the same. After a couple of days, it gets old.

I love riding those trails, but I was happy to get back on some real rocks and non-IMBA trails at home.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    Boring?? Give me a break dude. There's no way you get through trails like Ray's Revenge, Sidewinder, Allegheny, Grippis, etc, without a smile on your face.

There are plenty of areas that aren't "entirely smooth" that are open to "creativity" that you can fully shred. Granted it's an IMBA designed trail network, not a downhill park, but your comments make it sound like Rails-to-trails.
    I smile there, I am riding a bike. but after riding some better built flow trails and other hand built singletracks that flow better that is my thoughts on raystowns.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not really that familiar with "flow" trails. I mean, I know what they are theoretically. Not sure I've ever ridden one. Maybe White Clay. What would a good example of a flow trail be?

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Raystown lake.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I smile there, I am riding a bike. but after riding some better built flow trails and other hand built singletracks that flow better that is my thoughts on raystowns.
    Hey, shouldn't you be skiing?

This dude's ridden a lot of places and knows what he's talking about. Lots of people do find Raystown fun though, but don't let that make you think it's the best thing out there. Everyone gets their stoke a lil differently.

Personally, I think a good weekend is to go ride Rothrock and then do Raystown for recovery.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I think we have to give raystown credit for being one the first adopters of machine built trail for sure.

Sorry to be so Vermont centric in the Pa forum but what I would really want out of machine built trail is this. Instead of rollers and grade reversal you have doubles to jump and manual. Raytown is so spread out that unless you are going mach looney you are not doubling 99 percent of them.

we have this 35 minute from where I live now, but its small. a raystown sized system with trails like this and some hand built stuff would be sick.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    FYI I think the pittsburgh area has some of the best XC/trail riding anywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    I understand what he's saying. Maybe it's not boring, but it is repetitive. Every trail is the same thing, just a little different. Some are steeper, some are tighter, some are faster, but it's all basically the same. After a couple of days, it gets old.

I love riding those trails, but I was happy to get back on some real rocks and non-IMBA trails at home.
    I love the place too. However, this is spot on and why I ride it only once or twice a year.

This is not a bash on the trails either. It is what it is and great at that. The system there is simply way too sanitized for my riding style and what I like.....which is technical stuff: rocks, logs, drops, steeps, etc. Raystown offers virtually none of that.

Rothrock being very close to there is right up my alley. Rocks are an understatement, logs and some drops, steeps, flow and some killer downhills too.

We all have our own things that we like. For me it's technical riding. For others it might be speed or flow. Some like to climb more than descend or vice versa. It doesn't matter though, we're all riding and enjoying ourselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'll be traveling to the Raystown area over the next few days and it looks like rain rain rain. Super bummed....

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Raystown drains super fast you will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    I'll be traveling to the Raystown area over the next few days and it looks like rain rain rain. Super bummed....
    I will be visiting Tues and Wed. Looks like they are mostly calling for scattered storms. It's just a forecast. I'm sure you'll find a few hours of sun to go riding.

Chilling out
    ... also, unless it's a *ton* of rain, it'll likely soak-in/run-off pretty quickly. Just leaves a bit of slip behind until it truly dries.

I'd really only worry about t-storms and the direct danger from electricity, wind, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is the parking off of Seven Points?

Chilling out
    There is a lot on 7 Points, but the Bakers Hollow lot is closer to The top and larger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was just out there yesterday and today; the forecast was similar. Got sprinkled on while riding day 1; felt good. very heavy rain overnight but the trails were fine today. Everything is on sideslopes so it drains really well, and there aren't many rocks or roots to get wet & slippery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I rode Sun morning before the rain and it was good. Tacky and fast.

Checked on it first thing this morning and saw lots of puddles on the trail to Stony off the parking lot, so I bailed. Rode the Lower rail trail instead. Surprised it was ok today unless you rode late morning or afternoon.

I'd like to try again tomorrow but it's raining overnight again. I'll see how it looks in the morning. <fingers crossed>

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea, we the amount of rain we're getting right now, even the best draining trails are probably going to be soaked....

PA
    So what's the outlook as of right now? I'm planning to head to Raystown tomorrow (hopefully) for some riding.

mtbr member
    So what's the outlook as of right now? I'm planning to head to Raystown tomorrow (hopefully) for some riding.
    let us know...I was supposed to camp there this weekend but the forcast is calling for several inches of rain friday/sat. I still plan to go up sunday but i'm debating even taking my bike.

Chilling out
    I don't normally advocate riding wet trails bur Raystown is built exceeding well, I would advise you to take your bike Sunday and assess on the spot.

mtbr member
    I think we have to give raystown credit for being one the first adopters of machine built trail for sure.

Sorry to be so Vermont centric in the Pa forum but what I would really want out of machine built trail is this. Instead of rollers and grade reversal you have doubles to jump and manual. Raytown is so spread out that unless you are going mach looney you are not doubling 99 percent of them.

we have this 35 minute from where I live now, but its small. a raystown sized system with trails like this and some hand built stuff would be sick.
    This is where my dad went to college and we make a trip or two a year up there for different college activities. I have yet to ride these trails but have heard some really good things about them. I'm looking forward to trying it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA
    We ended up getting some good riding in. On Thursday we were able to beat the rain for about an hour before getting caught in it. It rained the remainder of the day Thursday including some more overnight. I was very surprised that by Friday around noon, the trails were completely rideable with only some puddles in the low-lying areas. Allegrippis really does dry out exceedingly well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did a ride this evening. Hit almost everything on the north side except Sidewinder & Berry Patch. Wetter than what I thought it would be. I know we had a steady rain Saturday morning. Think that on top of the already wet conditions we've received over the last two weeks resulted in what I experienced. Grade reversals are great, but rolling through small puddles at almost every one gets old quick. Some sections are really greasy. Can't wait for this place to dry out so the speeds can go up. Nothing better than doing a 25 mile ride in dry conditions and only being left with a layer of reddish brown powder on the bike to clean up. Now have a bike that needs some serious TLC.

Heads up: (2) good size trees are down on Rays Revenge just past the overlook. Both require dismounting. First is definitely an OTB situation if you're not looking ahead and on the brakes quick. It's right in the section of small naturalish whoops. 2nd one is a few hundred feet after the first.

mtbr member
    Heading out in about a week to ride/camp. What kind of conditions do you guys have? Stuff went from wet 2 weeks ago here(eastern pa) to bone dry and dusty fast.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Heading out in about a week to ride/camp. What kind of conditions do you guys have? Stuff went from wet 2 weeks ago here(eastern pa) to bone dry and dusty fast.
    Fast and dry. Let it rip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Riding Raystown Friday evening. Looking forward to it. Anxious to get that red dust on my bike, not the tacky muck that I've encountered all year so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode Friday. Had a great ride. Passed a porcupine hogging the center line on Rays Revenge. Trails in awesome condition. No downs, soil areas nice and tacky. Very little standing water. Get out and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    I'm going up to Ray's Town Lake to camp and ride August 21-23rd!! It's my first time up there I can't wait!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Enjoy it. But a warning. You may be highly dissatisfied with your local trails afterward. And don't let the ratings system keep you from spending time on the green trails. Doe, buck, fawn green loop can be just as fun as anything else out there. Rides like a giant pump track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honez1414 View Post
    Enjoy it. But a warning. You may be highly dissatisfied with your local trails afterward. And don't let the ratings system keep you from spending time on the green trails. Doe, buck, fawn green loop can be just as fun as anything else out there. Rides like a giant pump track.
    I believe you 100%!!! Thanks for the advice!!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    I'm heading out to the trails tomorrow. Sadly it looks like Saturday's weather is not going to cooperate so tomorrow afternoon may be my only shot. I plan on hitting the trails as soon as I get there and set up camp later. What do you think the trail conditions will be like after the rain today?
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    I'm heading out to the trails tomorrow. Sadly it looks like Saturday's weather is not going to cooperate so tomorrow afternoon may be my only shot. I plan on hitting the trails as soon as I get there and set up camp later. What do you think the trail conditions will be like after the rain today?
    Everything has been really dry as of late, I would expect that the trails should be pretty fine tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyone riding this Sunday? the weather looks good.

mtbr member
    I'll probably sneak out since it's the only day the trails are open during deer season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For sure. Just need to decide where. Either here or somewhere in Rothrock. Allegrippis has been rolling fast this fall with a majority of the trails getting the leaves blown off helping. Moisture received this week should help in creating some tack. It was a dry November. Thanks for the reminder about Allegrippis officially closing during hunting. I always think the trail network would be a good place for riding during hunting as the trails are so close to the water, and a lot near or on hillsides that hunters wouldn't venture out in those areas, but guess not. I do see deer quite often out there, but where aren't deer nowadays?!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    yeah. I found some nice trails by my house to ride. No riding unless it is Sunday now. It is a bummer. I was just starting to get back into riding again. I have been trying to get over there but didn't ever make it during the summer. I am going to try to make it Sunday.

mtbr member
    Now that Dirtfest is over, how will the trails be this weekend? I was thinking of taking my bike with me when I visit Pittsburgh this weekend and am wondering if I should go to Raystown Lake for the first time.
    I have a couple of questions: Is anybody riding Saturday or Sunday Morning? Which trailhead is best to park? What trails should be put together in order to make a decent ride?

I have average handling skills. I am from Philly and ride the Wissahickon mostly.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    Now that Dirtfest is over, how will the trails be this weekend? I was thinking of taking my bike with me when I visit Pittsburgh this weekend and am wondering if I should go to Raystown Lake for the first time.
    I have a couple of questions: Is anybody riding Saturday or Sunday Morning? Which trailhead is best to park? What trails should be put together in order to make a decent ride?

I have average handling skills. I am from Philly and ride the Wissahickon mostly.
    Should be fine...it's been a pretty dry week. I'll be there tomorrow to monday. park in the lot off of bakers hollow road. (40.406538, -78.072405). From there, I’d go buck > allie > grippis > ridge > ray’s > sidewinder > hydro > eagle (cross road, continue on eagle) > switch (back to road….tired? ride road back to lot. Not tired? Brakes working? > osprey > sidewinder > loco > red legs > allie > buck (back to lot.)

https://dutchwheelman.com/wp-content...s-Map-Full.jpg

Chilling out
    Trails at Raystown will be 100% fine, I would have no reservations about riding there.

"Average" handling skills will be fine, there's like two rocky spots on Stony trail (the one which runs between Baker's Hollow lot and 7 Points Rd) that may cause you pause.

My advice is park at Baker's Hollow parking lot.

Which trails? How long a ride you want (miles/hours)?

Last time I was out there (3 or 4 weeks ago) I did a "big" three way loop (I nick-named my 3 Petal Pedal), covered about 35 miles of trail in a bit over 5 hours.

Super day but I did "miss" one trail. I was starting to fight a slow leak in my rear tire and got tired of it so didn't bag the "4 petal".

The sequence I did was

Petal 1: (note: couple nice overlook points with benches to stop at on Allegheny Trail)
    Stony Trail from Baker's Hollow TH to 7 Points TH
    Dark Hollow Trail down and across the creek
    Left onto Bay Trail (going clockwise)
    Left onto Allegheney Trail (continuing clockwise)
    Left onto Shade Trail (continuing clockwise)
    Left onto Dark Hollow Trail, back to 7 Points TH
    Stony Trail from 7 Points TH back to Baker's Hollow TH
    10 minute break for a snack/water/gatorade

Petal 2: (note: starts out with 'enduro style' downhill run down Osprey ... don't kill yourself with velocity!)
    Buck Trail from Baker's Hollow TH to Fawn Trail
    2nd Right onto Fawn Trail to Osprey Trail
    Left onto Osprey Trail to Hydro Loop
    Hydro Loop (clockwise or counter-clockwise, doesn't matter to me)
    Left onto Eagle Trail
    Left onto Sleek Dog Trail
    Across road and left onto Doe Trail
    Left onto Buck Trail back to Baker's Hollow TH
    5 minute break for whatever you need (or not)

Petal 3: (note: nice break point at overlook/bench on outer end of Ray's Revenge)
    Buck Trail from Baker's Hollow TH
    Straight onto Allie Trail
    Straight onto Grippis Trail
    Straight onto Ridge Trail
    Stop at overlook for break
    Continue on Ray's Revenge Trail (see alternative return below for less intense return)
    Right at intersection with Sidewinder, up to Berry Patch/Loco-Motive trails intersection
    Left onto Loco-Motive Trail
    Left onto Red Legs Trail
    left onto Allie Trail
    Right onto Buck Trail
    Buck Trail back to Baker's Hollow TH

Alternative return which omits Ray's Revenge and is shorter and less aggressive:
    Continue up Berry Patch Trail
    Right onto Loco-Motive
    Left onto Red Legs Trail
    left onto Allie Trail
    Right onto Buck Trail
    Buck Trail back to Baker's Hollow TH

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any word on the skills park? I've seen pictures and a few friends went last weekend and posted pictures but said they didn't ride it. Just wondering if anyone has heard an official opening date?

mtbr member
    Any word on the skills park? I've seen pictures and a few friends went last weekend and posted pictures but said they didn't ride it. Just wondering if anyone has heard an official opening date?
    was hoping it would be open this weekend since i'll be there but not yet. this if from their facebook page.

"We're hoping for sometime in July. The rain the last few weeks has caused significant delays."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    was hoping it would be open this weekend since i'll be there but not yet. this if from their facebook page.

"We're hoping for sometime in July. The rain the last few weeks has caused significant delays."
    Yep, I was there Friday and was bummed to see the caution tape still up and the skills area closed off. Oh well, we still got a good ride in anyway. Hard to have a bad day riding at Rystown!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Skills track opens tomorrow! (July 2)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

mtbr member
    This is a long time coming. I went to the lake Saturday and Sunday Morning.

Thanks Bear. I managed to hit petals two and three in two separate trips to the lake. It was a 2 hour drive each way and was limited on riding time to try to meet family obligations with the inlaws. I hurt my shoulder the week before and decided to take my bike anyway just to see if I could make it through a ride. It was totally worth it and after riding the first day, I think my shoulder actually started to feel better.

I managed to work my way through petal 2 pretty easily with the directions given and it was a treat. Petal 3 turned out to be a big screw up because I was looking for a left onto Ray's revenge and wound up going through sidewinder and when I popped back onto Osprey, I didn't know what to do, I was also tired at that point and looking to be done. I did not want to repeat the trails from Saturday morning so I went left onto Osprey and took a fire road that dumped me back on Allie. I climbed Allie back to a map where Buck and Fawn meet and decided not to miss out on the three trails that I missed by not taking a right at the end of Ray's revenge. I cruised back down Allie to Grippis to Ridge and found the return back through Red legs, berry and loco motive. I wound up climbing back up Allie a 2nd time that day to get back to the car.

The trails were great and totally worth driving 4 hours to enjoy 1.5 hours of riding Saturday and 2 hours on Sunday. The dirt was surprisingly grippy to be so dry. I am used to the dirt in the Wiss being slippery when it gets that dry.

Thanks again for the wonderful directions and when I go again, I will try to hit petal 1 and the skills center.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

Muskoka

Colours

I might be able to fit in a return to Allegrippis this autumn. Would like to time it to catch the fall colours at their peak. When typically is that at Raystown? My guess is mid October and is that a good time to ride and camp here? Did Seven Points last time so thinking maybe Susquehannock this time.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Search the interwebs for "fall foliage map" for info on leaves changing around USA. Susquehannock cg closes after Labor Day.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Z. Ryder View Post
    Search the interwebs for "fall foliage map" for info on leaves changing around USA. Susquehannock cg closes after Labor Day.
    Ahh! Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    And I believe after Labor Day Seven Points is first come first serve for camping spots. We had looked at taking the motorhome out for a weekend in October and it said check in at front gate or something to that effect and there was no option to reserve a spot anywhere online.

Muskoka
    And I believe after Labor Day Seven Points is first come first serve for camping spots. We had looked at taking the motorhome out for a weekend in October and it said check in at front gate or something to that effect and there was no option to reserve a spot anywhere online.
    Ok thanks! Previous time I was there it was last week of August and I showed up without a reservation and had no problem scoring a good campsite. By traveling during the week and avoiding weekends as much as possible I almost always get by without prebooking

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was there Monday and there were tons of sites, although all or nearly all of the waterfront sites were taken.

Muskoka
    Disappointed that Susquehannock is closed for the season, was looking forward to trying that campground. Since my previous visit I have added solar to my little camper to keep the battery charged so now I no longer need a site with power.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, Susquehannock is kind of ghetto compared to 7 Points, but it's better imo.

mtbr member
    7 points campground is pretty nice.

Hermit
    Apparently the mountain bike skills park opened up the other day.

Check out 'Raystown Mountain Bike Skills Park' Facebook page.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's been open for a bit, but they did the official unveiling ceremony just the other day. We hit it up last weekend, lots of fun.

Muskoka
    So why do they close up Susquehannock so early?? Camping season is far from done!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The US Army Corps of Engineers (which created the lake) runs both campgrounds. I guess 7 Points has enough space for this time of year, so they save $.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The US Army Corps of Engineers (which created the lake) runs both campgrounds. I guess 7 Points has enough space for this time of year, so they save $.
    What he said - there's still camping out there, they just need to make it more manageable at the end of the season.

The White Jeff W
    Weekend forecast is looking great. I'll be headed out Friday AM & camping at 7 Points all weekend!

Last time out we got there Friday after dark. Saturday there was rain in the forecast early afternoon so we hit dirt early but still got caught in a major downpour.

As I rode back into the trailhead my derailleur hanger broke and my derailleur tangled in the spokes. I untangled everything and coasted it back to camp.

When we got back to camp our site was flooded. Water in the tents and my buddy's canopy collapsed. We waited out the rain then got everything dried out as best we could. After dinner I went to work on my bike and set it up as a singlespeed so I could ride Sunday. I rode it all over the campsite to make sure it was good to go. Climbed some steep hills, rode through ruts...all good.

Sunday morning we hit dirt and the first root I rode over shook my chain loose. I put it back on and it immediately happened again. I told my friends to go on without me. I drove back to the campsite and started packing.

About 40 minutes later my girlfriend called to tell me that my buddy's wife crashed and busted up her face and that I'd have to come get them & drive them back to the lot. I drove up & down Bakers Hollow Road for a half hour before I found them. She was a mess. We put their bikes on the rack & I drove them back to their car so he could take her to the hospital.

Im hoping this trip goes slightly better. One thing's for sure...Im bringing 2 bikes!
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 09-23-2016 at 01:49 AM.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Home sweet home

No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Rays Revenge

Last edited by jeffw-13; 09-25-2016 at 01:34 PM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    You got lucky, I lost it on Alley I think a few years ago and it was like sliding on razor blades.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    You got lucky, I lost it on Alley I think a few years ago and it was like sliding on razor blades.
    I know I did. Got my hands out & absorbed alot of the impact. Tucked my head & did a summersault & skidded to a stop. Got some trail rash on my shoulder & muffin top
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hit up Raystown this past Sunday and finally got to try the skills park. I must say, I was honestly expecting a little bit more. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty awesome but it seemed like a lot of hype for what it is. Either way, I still rode it for an hour or so and had fun!! Everything else was killer like always though

Also hit up Osprey with my gopro and posted that on youtube too but we are only allowed to include one video per post

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hit up Raystown this past Sunday and finally got to try the skills park. I must say, I was honestly expecting a little bit more. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty awesome but it seemed like a lot of hype for what it is. Either way, I still rode it for an hour or so and had fun!! Everything else was killer like always though

Also hit up Osprey with my gopro and posted that on youtube too but we are only allowed to include one video per post

at 1:19 - 1:20 whats the goose sound. brakes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    at 1:19 - 1:20 whats the goose sound. brakes?
    Hahaha, no. I have the Specialized Swat bandit mounted under my seat and when the rear suspension compresses hard the tire was rubbing making that sound. The first time I heard it I stopped because I thought something was wrong also but then I saw the tire rub mark and realized what it was.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ac.../bandit/105618

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm about three hours away from the Allegrippis trails so I am planning on trying to camp overnight there in two weekends so that I can ride Saturday and Sunday. The problem with this is that I am a total newb when it comes to camping and was wondering if I could get some helpful suggestions from those that have done it before. I'm planning on leaving my place Saturday morning so I'll just need to stay there for one night.

Do I need to make reservations or will I be able to drive up and get a space to put a tent? I tried calling today to make reservations, but it didn't end up working and ultimately I was sent to a website and did not make reservations. As of right now all I have is a tent with a couple air mattresses, sleeping bag and a couple of lanterns. I do not want to spend a ton of money, but I am willing to spend a little if there's a necessity that I'm missing. I don't want to invest a ton of money because camping isn't something that I have done up to this point in my life. I think that what I have is enough to suffice, but please let me know if I'm wrong. I believe I read that there is a Walmart near by

Thank you in advance for any and all tips and advice.

Jacob

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Jacob-
    I try to go light as possible. Shelter, something to sleep in, food, and water. As for food, if you're going to cook, bring a small propane grill. saves a lot of time. Headlamp is nice to move around with. Beer. Yep. That's about it for me. haha
    I think I'm headed up the same weekend. Fingers crossed for good weather!
    Oh, rain fly for your tent. Make sure you bring one!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    There is a marriot 10-15min if you want to go that route.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I don't think you can make reservations at this time of year. Stop at ranger station; if it's not open you drive in, find a site, then go back and drop the $ off there. You will find the instructions. (Checkbook would be handy for that).
    Bring lots of water and/or containers. There are pumps at the campground. Buy some firewood and kindling or some other way to get it going.
    Fill up a cooler. You can get by without a stove if you plan ahead. You can also cook or heat stuff over the open fire. Or eat out, town's about 15 mins away.
    It's getting dark early, bring a book or something ... and it'll be cold in the morning.
    The sites have electrical outlets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I didn't think about bringing water, but that's a great point. Firewood is also another great idea. Do they have grates there that I would be able to grill on over the camp fire?

Also 94M400 what is a rain fly for my tent?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Rainfly fits over the tent and covers the door flap. Keeps it a little drier.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cool, thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I didn't think about bringing water, but that's a great point. Firewood is also another great idea. Do they have grates there that I would be able to grill on over the camp fire?

Also 94M400 what is a rain fly for my tent?
    Do not bring your own firewood. Buy it locally, there's plenty of places that sell it. Transporting firewood is good way to spread pests, with particular concern to the ash borer and other invasive species.

Susquehannock is closed, so you would be staying over on the 7 points side. They are the more developed camps with nice bathrooms with hot showers, good water, etc.

Everything is walk-in at this point.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ^^ nice!
    we were out there weekend. i was too lazy to take pictures though.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityadv View Post
    Great pic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    And they're calling for a 1/2 inch of rain on Friday. Anyone know who well the trails shed the water? I was hoping to ride after lunch on Saturday...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    They shed water and I don't think you'll find any deep mud, but you will get sprayed due to the high speed nature!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    They shed water and I don't think you'll find any deep mud, but you will get sprayed due to the high speed nature!
    I'd be fine with that!
    Is anyone else still thinking about going with all this rain in the forecast or am I nuts? There's a good possibility I'm nuts. Haha

mtbr member
    took this pic a few weeks ago when i stopped out for a ride. what a fun place to go cant recommend it enough

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-img_0774.jpg

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400 View Post
    I'd be fine with that!
    Is anyone else still thinking about going with all this rain in the forecast or am I nuts? There's a good possibility I'm nuts. Haha
    I was out there week-ago-monday with a friend and we did a moderately long ride (32m), it had rained the days previous and the trails were fine. Most of them insta-drain and the few remaining puddles were small and inconsequential. Leaf cover was minimal to moderate, more so on the western loops than the eastern, but I would expect more leaf cover at this time.

According to weather.gov there's less than a total 1/4" forecast for Huntingdon over the next 8 days, other than tomorrow (Thursday) when the rain is projected I'd not hold back from riding there at all. I'm a pansy though, I don't like riding during rainfall. Makes me grumpy. And cold.

Pic from that ride ... not all the dirt on the bike came from the ride, most from previous rides ...

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-pa240010x1280.jpg

mtbr member

gotta love it

heading out there this weekend
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Chilling out
    addendum: Some of the berms on Osprey had leaves over 12" deep. Keep your speed up and stay high on the clear trail. :^)

mtbr member
    Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-img_20161015_120240952.jpg

The perfect (IMO) setup for this place.

32x20 SS and rigid fork with a 29x3.0 tire on the front.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Did a ride last night. Trails were mostly cleared by the work crew this past weekend. They weren't all clear but Rays, Osprey, Eagle had at least one line open. Redlegs had areas that need work but overall everything was very good. Couldn't tell if Hydro was done but it was very fast and mostly clear. (Hat's off to the volunteers!)

TODAY the wind is blowing and leaves are falling so it may be changing but it's been good this week.

Interplanetary Traveler
    Any word on Allegrippis trail conditions? I've got a 2 hour ride to get there and don't want to head up if the trails aren't in riding shape. I'd like to go riding tomorrow morning. Any info is appreciated...

mtbr member
    stole one today. absolutely amazing day at rays. trails were in just tip top shape super dry. 72 degrees sunny with a refreshing breeze off the lake. just a total blast

got to work out the new 4.5. its a wonderful bike tailored made for a trail like rays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-img_1229.jpg  

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamss View Post
    stole one today. absolutely amazing day at rays. trails were in just tip top shape super dry. 72 degrees sunny with a refreshing breeze off the lake. just a total blast

got to work out the new 4.5. its a wonderful bike tailored made for a trail like rays.
    WOW!!! If my camper wasn't buried in snow I would be tempted to come down. Here was my weekend ride...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Headed to Raystown Lake this weekend from the Shenandoah Valley to meet a buddy and ride all day Saturday drink more than a few beers and maybe ride a little Sunday. Never been there before but it sounds great. Got a little cabin rented right near the trails. Going to try to ride 30+ miles. Will be on my rigid Singlespeed, anybody have an opinion on SS gearing for those trails? Usually I'm on 32/20 and sometimes 32/22 when out in the GWNF and the climbs go on for many miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    You might be fine on 32/18 even! I guess it just depends on how fast you want to get cranking. But if you're usually on 32/20, I'd just keep it at that and enjoy the day.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    You might be fine on 32/18 even! I guess it just depends on how fast you want to get cranking. But if you're usually on 32/20, I'd just keep it at that and enjoy the day.
    Disclaimer: I do not ride SS. I do pay attention to what my friend's setups are, however. Most of them will roll a 32/19 or 32/18 there.

32/22 will likely be way too spinny. If you have a 19, take it. If you run the 32/20, you'll probably be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks. I'm on a 29+ so 32/20 is like 32/19 ish for regular tires. It's the tallest gear I have and it's the freewheel on the bike right now so that's what I'll be running.

Another question- Is the pipeline work i heard about impacting any trails? anything to avoid? First timer so any info helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    Is the pipeline work i heard about impacting any trails? anything to avoid? First timer so any info helpful.
    I rode Raystown 2 weeks ago. Didn't venture to south side, but heard firsthand from a trail steward that yes pipeline work is affecting trails on south side (south of Seven Points Road). Only trails open is Allegheny. To get to it, need to ride paved road to gravel road to bypass trail closures.

I'd suggest parking at Baker's Hollow trailhead. Ride all the north trails, and add an out/back on Stony trail to add some more miles.

I ride there quite a bit. All the trails can be ridden in either direction. Everyone has their route preferences. My shortlist of recommendations are: ride Fawn to Osprey to Hydro (counterclockwise). Ride Rays Revenge clockwise (from Ridge to Sidewinder). Riding in this direction makes use of gradual descents to the max, plus helps keep traffic moving in one direction resulting in everyone being able to enjoy the downhill sections more.

Muskoka

Susquahannock camping fee

Nice to see this thread carry on!!! (the OP here)
    Anyone know the camping fees this year for Susquahannock? I would like to try this campground if I can get back here this year. When I planned to come last fall I think it was ~$13/night but they were already closed for the season. I looked at the reservation site etc etc today and lots of info there, but I'm not seeing any posted fees!

Thanks

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

The White Jeff W
    RAYSTOWN LAKE, Pennsylvania — After a rigorous review process in accordance with federal policy and regulations, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), Baltimore District, has determined they cannot further consider authorization of Lancer Resources, L.P. (Lancer) recreational development’s proposal in the Hawn’s Bridge area of the Raystown Lake Project because it is not consistent with the current Raystown Lake Master Plan (MP).

Army Corps issues decision addressing recreational development proposal on Raystown Lake Project > Baltimore District > News Releases
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice to see this thread carry on!!! (the OP here)
    Anyone know the camping fees this year for Susquahannock? I would like to try this campground if I can get back here this year. When I planned to come last fall I think it was ~$13/night but they were already closed for the season. I looked at the reservation site etc etc today and lots of info there, but I'm not seeing any posted fees!

Thanks
    Looks like you need to book through the Reserve America site. Took a quick look. It's listing sites at $16-18/night during peak season. See "Fees and Cancellation Policies" in link below.

https://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...O&parkId=73431

Muskoka
    ^^^ Thank you!

mtbr member
    some tough news. the storm that came thru last night w what locals said had hurricane force wind gusts did a number to RT. the trails have trees down everywhere some spots like hydro loop are almost not rideable and I would not be surprised if they closed this section and some others that were on the wrong side of these gusts.

it was pretty hairy with branches just freaking everywhere and trees down all across a few dozen sections. some stuff closer to the lake was just devastated. some were so bad it was hard to even find a away back around to the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamss View Post
    some tough news. the storm that came thru last night w what locals said had hurricane force wind gusts did a number to RT. the trails have trees down everywhere some spots like hydro loop are almost not rideable and I would not be surprised if they closed this section and some others that were on the wrong side of these gusts.

it was pretty hairy with branches just freaking everywhere and trees down all across a few dozen sections. some stuff closer to the lake was just devastated. some were so bad it was hard to even find a away back around to the trail.
    With Dirtfest coming up in 2 weeks, I would imagine there will be a hard push to get that cleared.

Interplanetary Traveler
    The new bike skills park is currently closed until further notice due to erosion damage from the storm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Cactus View Post
    The new bike skills park is currently closed until further notice due to erosion damage from the storm.
    Really?? Wow does anyone have pics? That sounds insane? Glad I wasn't camping there that night!!!😵

Interplanetary Traveler
    I haven't actually seen the damage. The Corp of Engineers put out the following announcement...

"Be advised: the Raystown Mountain Bike Skills Park is closed until further notice due a recent weather event. Repairs are in progress and the anticipated opening date is TBD. Please call (814) 658-3405 ext. 0 for skills park status updates."

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    With Dirtfest coming up in 2 weeks, I would imagine there will be a hard push to get that cleared.
    Would Imagine all hand on trails right now. It has been quite the spring and a challenge to ride in our area too, hoping for better soon.

mtbr member
    Big thanks to all of those who have been working to clear the trails.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any update on what trail conditions are like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockpharmer View Post
    Any update on what trail conditions are like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Didn't hear any complaints from dirtfest...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    They were great for dirt fest, maybe a little dry when it was in the 80s.

mtbr member
    stopped by yesterday on my way home from Pitts and I have to say the team that came out to clean these trails did a herculean job. thank you you very much for your hard work. the trails were totally cleared of every single one of those downed trees.

great ride although I will say when those roots get slimy you have to stay dialed in. On flow trails like RT I can kinda get in my head a lot thinking about all kinds of shit but after almost losing it on one of the first slick roots I had to really pay attn to my front tire and how it clears approached those things. Very good day always enjoy it there. always worth the out of the way drive to get there.

Rollin' a fatty
    Planning on riding there on Monday, is just a 5hr drive

Any update around Sunday night will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys! I'm up for the weekend with a group of newbies and our sons all 13-15 year old boys. My buddy and I rode old loggers Amanda few nearby trails. Where should we take then beginners? I want everyone to have a great time! Thanks

Chilling out
    At Raystown, IMO, really depends on the crew and their endurance.

if you start at the Baker's Hollow lot and head out and loop Buck / Doe / Fawn for a very chill loop.

You have the option to extend off Doe and go down Osprey and back up Eagle / Sleek Dog to connect back to Fawn and return.

You could alternatively go Buck / Allie / Grippis / Ridge out to the overlook; and then back via Berry Patch / Loco Motive / Red Legs / Allie / Buck.

Key thing will be to have plenty of stops and snacks, and to stay off the 'black' designated trails - for safety among other things - some people will be hauling butt on these - Rays Revenge, Hyro, and Sidewinder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! I followed your advice with the kids and stuck to the green trails. Afterwards some of the better tidy and I came back and did more miles. The trails were pretty fun!

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    At Raystown,

You have the option to extend off Doe and go down Osprey and back up Eagle / Sleek Dog to connect back to Fawn and return.

You could alternatively go Buck / Allie / Grippis / Ridge out to the overlook; and then back via Berry Patch / Loco Motive / Red Legs / Allie / Buck.

I combined these 2 in one ride Tuesday with Hydro in both directions. Great ride. Everyone should make it a point to do all of Osprey while there and in IMO Hydro counter clockwise is always a must ride.

Be alert when climbing Allie/Buck. People fly down there.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 06-09-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I combined these 2 in one ride Tuesday with Hydro in both directions. Great ride. Everyone should make it a point to do all of Osprey while there and in IMO Hydro counter clockwise is always a must ride.
    This man speaks the truth.

Chilling out
    Very glad things are working out for people!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    great thread, looks like a fun place to spend a few days exploring! With the main parks booked solid for the upcoming long weekend, can anyone recommend an "off the beaten path" campground close enough to all this goodness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT. View Post
    great thread, looks like a fun place to spend a few days exploring! With the main parks booked solid for the upcoming long weekend, can anyone recommend an "off the beaten path" campground close enough to all this goodness
    We stayed at this place for Dirt Fest this year.

Family Camping at Lake Raystown Family Camping Resort

It's a very nice campground, real quiet and with nice people running it. I'd definitely go back. We got one of the "medium" cabins. It isn't the cheapest option compared to getting a hotel room, if you could find one, but it's nice having your own private cabin with a deck off the back. A cabin at a campground isn't typically my style, but for a few days in a row of riding, having a bed and a shower was very nice. Even if you tent-camp , their shower house is reasonable.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    awesome thanks for the lead! I was able to secure a tent site. Our last adventure in PA was the very last JT festival. Can't wait to explore the area and enjoy some of those rolling mountain ranges you guys are spoiled with 😁😁
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Had a great 38 mile ride there on 5/24

Chilling out

This is a PSA (Pubilc Service Announcement) ... stay safe out there kids ....

I've told a bunch of people going out there to watch themselves ... "speed kills" as it were, but every now and then even the best of intentions are waylaid by events.

I was riding Alligiripps yesterday and took a massive biff going down Sidewinder from Osprey, was cruising into my 20th mile for the day and hit something wrong an *sproing*

POC Trabec helmet took the brunt of it, I hit and rolled, was down for about 5 minutes checking out myself going "wtf!"

Drivetrain also died, d-hanger and derailleur destroyed by a rock it. 1 spoke "whanged" on the rear wheel.

Took a bit of time to walk out, but starting about at the bridge at the bottom, but walk it out I did without issue (and coasted down whatever hills I could coast down).

Lots of soreness today, no freaking surprise, and one probably hyper-extended need that needs some TLC (not the one with scuff marks, go figure). Various scrapes and scratches, and sore muscles, no surprise.

Nil other damage, to me or bike, could have been tons worse, tons worse, I'm guessing I was just getting ready to hit the stone work before the bridge when I went down (that's where the gps track goes quiet for 5 minutes) ... unsurprisingly I don't actually remember. Watching myself closely today and this week, particularly pupil response (currently normal since I awoke this morning).

Oh yeah, it was a day trip for me, I drove 180 miles both ways to ride there for the day.

drum roll ....

Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-20170611-poc-trabec-2.jpg Allegrippis Trails - Raystown Lake PA [o]-20170611-poc-trabec-1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast