Allegrippis Advice for an AZ rider- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Allegrippis Advice for an AZ rider

I'm heading east this coming weekend to do some riding. I've been wanting to check out the Allegrippis trails, so now is the time. I'll be bringing a buddy from the Allentown area who doesn't ride a ton, but is capable. I do my fair share of riding out here on the rocks of AZ, so I'm not too concerned with the terrain. I downloaded the map and noticed there are a few trails with directional arrows, but not necessarily dedicated 'one-way' trails. I plan on going with the flow on these, but am curious as to why the directional arrows? Just better flow? More technical in the opposite direction?

If I wanted to put a route together that essentially hits the entire area, what would it be? I'll be renting a bike from the shop down by the marina. I have the individual .gpx tracks, but would like to put something together for reference.

Thanks for any information.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Chilling out
    The directional arrows are as you figured, "most fun most safe" direction. Most ppl will be going that direction, and speeds can climb, so if you go against that flow you need to be particularly watchful for oncoming traffic.

The biggest hazard at Allegrippis is, like you figured, not rocks and tech. The biggest hazard is speed, it is very VERY easy to get enough velocity under your wheels and not be able to negotiate a turn or handle a trail surprise (oncoming cyclist, etc.).

Things may have changed a bit in the year since I was there last, but my advice about the trails there goes like this...

- the loops to the south/west of 7 Points rd (Allegheney, Barrel, Bay) have more steep up/down/climbing than the loops the north/east.

- i'd start at the Baker's Hollow parking area, and ....

> Buck => Doe => Fawn (briefly) => Osprey => Hydro => Eagle => Sleek Dog => Fawn => Allie => Grippis => Ridge => Ray's Revenge => Berry Patch => snack break at the vista => up Ridge => Red Legs => Allie => Buck => water/food refuel at car => Stony => cross 7 Points rd => Dark Hollow => Shade => Allegheney => Barrel => Bay => Hollow => cross 7 Points rd again => Stony => back to parking.

If you park/camp in 7 Points you can start by riding up Vee Cee to the 7 Points rd crossing, and on and up Stony to start with my plan above. It's probably not horrid but it will be a good couple miles of climbing to start. Of course, that means it's all down to finish.

Likewise, you could park on 7 Points rd where Stony comes out and start from there. Less climbing to get up Stony to Baker's Hollow and the rest, not a bad option either.

I advocate starting the way I put it as IMO it puts the "meat" of the fun to begin with, particularly if you're not sure of the endurance levels of all parties.

None of this trail will wear you out like riding South Mountain trails would, not even Mormon Loop or out at Hawes. There's a bit more elevation at Allegrippis than what I remember of Desert Classic but it's laid out differently. I'd consider both DC and Allegripps hard-tail rides, FWIW, optimally.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how long your buddy can handle, but I recommend doing Buck, Doe, Sleek Dog, Eagle, and Hydro. Do Hydro ccw. Your buddy will be pumped and addicted for sure.
    You can add Stoney on to this if you park at the kiosk along the parks entrance road. This will add 2.5 miles each way and you'll hit the 2 rock gardens... The ONLY 2 rock gardens, at Raystown.
    Though Osprey has berms for going down it, it's enjoyable to pedal up it too. The distance and speed you'll get from Buck, Doe, Sleek Dog, Eagle Pass and Hydro are much more worth it than the 6 berms on Osprey and only 1/10th the distance.
    Rays and Sidewinder are the only trails that I can see as directional and should be ridden in that order.
    I can't really tell you what to ride cause we don't know anything about your buddy. Runner, XC skier, roadie, trail runner, couch potato?
    All the trails are within a beginners skill set. You'll notice that the blacks are steeper and or longer to come out of, the blues are easier to pedal, and the greens have next to no climbing.
    Here's a list of trails, distance and best direction.
    Stony- 2.6 miles.
    Buck- .6
    Doe- 1.3
    Sleek Dog - 2.4. Ccw
    Eagle Trail - 2.6.ccw
    Hydro- 2.1 ccw
    Osprey- 1.2
    Fawn- 1.6
    Allie- .9
    Grippis- .9
    Ridge- 1.1
    Rays revenge- 4.7 cw
    Sidewinder - .9 follow down after Rays
    Red Legs- 1.7
    Loco-motive- 1.1
    Berry Patch - 1.7
    Since the other side is shorter, people generally ride it the day they're leaving or a rest day. Not bad, but the other side has a lot more options. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Bear/Fahn,
    Thanks a ton, that's exactly what I was looking for. As for my buddy, he's not a couch pototo, he at least bike commutes on a regular basis. He just doesn't hit the trails a ton. I took him out to Salisbury a couple years ago and he did fine. It's more the total miles that may put the hurt on him, but we'll be going at touring pace with selective rippin'!!

I'm just glad the forecast is calling for highs in the upper 70's with scattered t-storms, that alone will be a nice change of pace for me. Last week I was out on South Mountain climbing Javelina/Mormon/National trails in 115, then hit DC the next day in 117. But it's a dry heat right? I really don't mind the blast furnace riding as long as you can mix in some cool rides up north.

This should be fun.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Chilling out
    I think the real key to surviving the blasts furnace of SoMo is finishing at DurtGurl's pool.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I think the real key to surviving the blasts furnace of SoMo is finishing at DurtGurl's pool.
    Absolutely!!

You'll have to let me know the next time you're in AZ, let's go for a ride. That goes for anyone in PA, if you need a local tourguide or trail info, let me know.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Chilling out
    That would be super.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Considering a trip this weekend - any suggestions wher to camp?

mtbr member
    If you Google "Raystown lake camping" it will get confusing because all the camps all have similar names.
    7 points is the most common one. They have tent/rv sites with power. Be aware that you'll most likely be between campers and motor homes, but there's plenty of space between sites(assuming you have a tent). There's public rest rooms with hot showers. At Ridge Camp, which is one of the 7 points camp grounds, there's even washers/dryers.
    Susquehannock campgrounds is primitive camping. Hole in the ground toilets, no showers, no electricity. You can use the showers and facilities at 7 points though.
    Susquehannock and 7 points are right on the trails. Other campgrounds are a couple miles away. Not too far, but in between town and the lake.
    If you Google "Raystown lake camping" you'll see why it's confusing. There's campgrounds like-
    Raystown lake camping
    Camping at Raystown lake
    Raystown camping...
    Yet, they're all different places. Some are for rv's and cabin camping only, some will have pools, some may have more private settings.
    Susquehannock and 7 points are the most common. I'd say check them out first. Fwiw, though 7 points might be full, keep checking in every day for spots that open up due to cancelation. That's how we got our site last year.
    Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Bear/Fahn,
    Thanks a ton, that's exactly what I was looking for. As for my buddy, he's not a couch pototo, he at least bike commutes on a regular basis. He just doesn't hit the trails a ton. I took him out to Salisbury a couple years ago and he did fine. It's more the total miles that may put the hurt on him, but we'll be going at touring pace with selective rippin'!!

As someone who rides Salisbury regularly, I can say that if he can handle a full 8-9 mile lap of Sals, he can handle a full 16-18 miles of Allegrippis. It's like the same level of workout. Sals has more brutal climbing and is more technical, Allegrippis does elevation changes in a way that you can pump up half of it or it is just broken up/stretched out.

As long as he can carry momentum and pump through things, he'll be fine. I'd recommend you keep stuff to keep your sugar/sodium levels up though so nobody bonks. My newb friend needed some jerky and Skratch Labs drink when we were at DirtFest, I think that prevented his legs from cramping out totally.

If I was showing a first timer, I'd do the whole outer perimeter clockwise, and do Hydro counter clockwise. There's many variations though.

If you can't find somewhere to camp, the Huntingdon Motor Inn is in town, cheap, and clean. About a 20 minute ride to the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    While you're in the area, I would suggest a "road trip" to ride Rattling Creek too. If you like SoMo and the AZ rocks, you'll love Rattling Creek! lol

I miss the AZ trails quite a bit some days, but man the riding out here is awesome too. Nice to see you making it out this way though.

Raystown is a blast and I am sure you'll love it. I'll just second what was said above. No tech or famous PA rocks, but man you can fly there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    If you Google "Raystown lake camping" it will get confusing because all the camps all have similar names.
    7 points is the most common one. They have tent/rv sites with power. Be aware that you'll most likely be between campers and motor homes, but there's plenty of space between sites(assuming you have a tent). There's public rest rooms with hot showers. At Ridge Camp, which is one of the 7 points camp grounds, there's even washers/dryers.
    Susquehannock campgrounds is primitive camping. Hole in the ground toilets, no showers, no electricity. You can use the showers and facilities at 7 points though.
    Susquehannock and 7 points are right on the trails. Other campgrounds are a couple miles away. Not too far, but in between town and the lake.
    If you Google "Raystown lake camping" you'll see why it's confusing. There's campgrounds like-
    Raystown lake camping
    Camping at Raystown lake
    Raystown camping...
    Yet, they're all different places. Some are for rv's and cabin camping only, some will have pools, some may have more private settings.
    Susquehannock and 7 points are the most common. I'd say check them out first. Fwiw, though 7 points might be full, keep checking in every day for spots that open up due to cancelation. That's how we got our site last year.
    Ttyl, Fahn
    Thanks. I don't mind roughing it at all. I just need a place to lay a bivy where I won't get in trouble. Susquehannock sounds good.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm already back in AZ, it was just a quick weekend getaway for me. My buddy did fine, although he was pretty worked over at the end - he ended up doing 17 miles and had a blast. I was able to hit just about everything except the loop in the far southwest, ran out of time!! It was such a nice change of pace to not worry about sliced sidewalls and dodging chollaballs!! The weather held perfect too! I'll post up a ride report link when I finish 'er up.

PD214: I grew up in the Allentown area and still have tons of family/friends in the region. I'll be back for sure with many more riding plans. Maybe I should start scouting a 3-4 day bikepacking loop through PA, that would be cool.

XJaredX: We should try & ride the next time I'm in town, I usually stay over in Macungie.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Considering a trip this weekend - any suggestions wher to camp?
    I'm heading out there Thursday. 7 points isn't showing ANY open sites for the weekend. I booked my sites back in February when they first came open. I've only been there once before, so I don't know where else to stay. We are full on "camping units" as we had a bit of the issue with that last year.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    There are 5 sites left at susquehannock. busy weekend... i'll be there, site 50.

mtbr member
    I can't wait to get out there. Looks like such a fun ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just did my first ride ever there over the weekend. Did 34 miles with 3100+' of climbing, all singletrack with very little repeats (Buck + Stony). Amazing place. Never even touched my first 3 gears.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I finally had time to put together a ride report chock full of pics, check it out on the blog:

Raystown Lake: Allegrippis Trails
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I managed around 31 miles this past weekend out there. Had a blast and the trails were FAST. Unfortunately the fast trails led to my buddy crashing 1.3 miles in on Allie Friday morning. Had to head back to the truck and bail him out, only made 2.8 miles that morning before heading to the beach, while he went for 19 stitches. Took a night ride for another 4 miles that night though. Did 14.3 miles Saturday, and another 10+ Sunday. Great trip, great weather, can't wait to go back!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member

Re: Allegrippis Advice for an AZ rider

I finally had time to put together a ride report chock full of pics, check it out on the blog:

Raystown Lake: Allegrippis Trails
    Great writeup! Your writing skills are not bad at all. lol

Curious though, what was your favorite trail there? I constantly hear either rays or hydro. What are your thoughts?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    Great writeup! Your writing skills are not bad at all. lol

Curious though, what was your favorite trail there? I constantly hear either rays or hydro. What are your thoughts?
    Haha! Thanks, clearly no English major here, but I have fun putting it together!!

I'd have to say Ray's Revenge, it had the longest rippin' flow section or at least seemed that way. I'd put Osprey #2, then Hydro. I really enjoyed everything out there, next time I plan on doing at least 50 miles mixing directions, etc. to see how some of those trails roll the other way. (Minus the few that have preferred directional arrows on the map)
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    50 miles on a MTB is like 100+ on the road. Good for you.

I need to get out there. I'm only in Philly!

Oh, and if you ever get back out to the Philadelphia area you should try The Wiss. Great diversified riding much more on the technical side. I ride there constantly.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yes, I do plan on riding the Wiss - hopefully on the next visit. Can you recommend a nearby bike shop to the Wiss that offers rentals? Even better if I could ride from the shop. Is a map recommended for a first-timer there? For Raystown it was necessary, but was convenient to have one available.

If you don't mind some riding company, I'll let you know when I'm in town.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    As for a shop nearby that rents... I don't know of any. When the time comes if you post in the PA forum I'm sure someone will chime in. Sorry can't help you there.

You definitely don't NEED a map but it really helps to have a good starting point. It's basically a creek in a valley with trails on either side. Remember this place is within the city of Philadelphia so getting lost isn't really a problem. lol

Definitely! Drop me a line whenever you come to the area. Be nice to show someone new the spots. :-)

Chilling out
    Yes, I do plan on riding the Wiss - hopefully on the next visit.
    One map of the Wiss RITV course, as a reference, in PDF form here (not originally mine, I just kept a copy when I found it).

A Google map that nicely shows parking spots along the network may be found at this link - again, no mine, found it somewhere. Tri-State MTB maybe?

mtbr member
    Nice Bear. I never saw either of those before.

Chilling out
    I actually have a geo-referenced version of the PDF, setup in a Google KMZ file. Some GPS (aka:Garmin) can directly use them, and there are smartphone apps too (Locus for Android, for example), which can make things really easy to navigate ... but I remember FreeSkier doesn't roll that way so I didn't bother posting link. ;^)