AFC Sugar Hill XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

AFC Sugar Hill XC

The race is being held at Patapsco State Park, MD on March 17th. This is my first race and I was curious if any of you guys will be racing in it? I believe the trail map is listed, and I've never raced in this state forest, so I'm not sure what the expect. Probably should pre ride it sometime!

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    The race is being held at Patapsco State Park, MD on March 17th. This is my first race and I was curious if any of you guys will be racing in it? I believe the trail map is listed, and I've never raced in this state forest, so I'm not sure what the expect. Probably should pre ride it sometime!
    Hadn't thought about racing there, but I have ridden at Potapsco.

There is a decent amount of hill climbing, with rewarding downhill sections, some of which are a quite decent handful to climb. I'd expect a race there to very much test your aerobic limits.

The trail tread is mostly dirt based, there are not a bunch of rock gardens. I don't know where in PA you are but the closest match my limited experience has is the Geisinger trail network in Danville. Not sure which of the two has more trail but they feel similar to me.

I last rode Potapsco with a rigid singlespeed, and would again but would have a bunch more fun with gears there. Having just a step or two easier from the 33x21 that I had would have made more hills more attainable for me. Of course, dropping 20# off me or just being stronger would do that too. I had nil issues with a rigid bike there.

You could probably get more site-specific info via the MORE-MTB group or the MTBR MD forum.

mtbr member
    how'd it go? what race did you do? i did sport on a 33x20 ss/rigid....there were a few of us ss'ers who did this. can't imagine doing the expert 3 laps tho...at least not anytime soon! great course and very similar to PA/DE rocky/technical trails....and some fast flow sections. hope you had fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by UBUgoat View Post
    how'd it go? what race did you do? i did sport on a 33x20 ss/rigid....there were a few of us ss'ers who did this. can't imagine doing the expert 3 laps tho...at least not anytime soon! great course and very similar to PA/DE rocky/technical trails....and some fast flow sections. hope you had fun
    It was awesome! It was my first race so I raced in the beginner class. I was number 222 and finished towards the bottom. I need to get in better shape, but my job has me working in Maryland during the week so it's hard to get miles in.

I'll be racing in a number of M.A.S.S XC races this summer, so maybe I'll see ya out there. The trails were awesome on Saturday!

mtbr member
    very cool...it was my first xc race last year...as a cat 3/beginner! well, maybe you can find trails close to where you work in MD...not sure where that it is, but there's fairhill...and just a stone's throw is middlerun/white clay.

and where in PA are you? yeah, just get out there and ride, push the limits, keep it fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm working out of Annapolis until mid May. So I'm going to cross train during the week playing soccer and running. My legs are pretty strong from lifting during the fall and winter, so i need to work on my lung capacity and turnover rate.

I live outside of Harrisburg. So I mainly bike Rocky Ridge and William H Cain. However I'm plain ing on checking out some newly discovered single track around the Harrisburg Greenbelt.

mtbr member
    sounds good...yep, lung and oxygen processing (nitric oxide, etc....working on that myself).

well, there's some MASS endurances races in your neck of the woods coming up. Tuscarora and Marysville. i'm in Media, but the team (Stoudts/JB Mt Bikes) is based in Reading/Shillington.

take it easy and ride hard

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cool man. I'll be at the Marysville relay racing on the team I joined up with out of York. I grew up near Reading actually haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0