@ wissa today,who has a problem w/ shin guards?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

@ wissa today,who has a problem w/ shin guards?

so today i was having a nice ride at wissa, minding my own business,
    going up hill, when a bunch of riders going down hill made some comments about me and my friends wearing shin guards,
    well, i guess they thought they really looked cool in thier spandex,
    they should have atleast waited until we were stopped before making a comment,
    so there would have been a nice phila style response.....

anyway it was a great day to ride,and saw BIG KIETH on the trails....

and to the idiots, next time dont be girlie men ,say something face to face.
    its really a pity, most people ride the trails to relax and enjoy themselves,
    Last edited by grecco; 11-13-2005 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    I dont have a problem with shin guards per se, but I do think that it is ridiculous to go out and ride the wiss in full body armour and downhill gear. Given the history of user conflicts in the park, anything that makes us look more like storm troopers is no good. Especially on a busy Sunday.

I also learned long ago not to say things to provoke total strangers, odds are that you are going to come across some cro-magnon chest thumper that is looking to throw a Philly style beat down on someone, thanks for confirming this.

If you go out to relax and enjoy the trails, than this type of thing should roll right off you back. Dont let it get to you. There are plenty of pricks out there, lets not add to the numbers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Dynamics
    I dont have a problem with shin guards per se, but I do think that it is ridiculous to go out and ride the wiss in full body armour and downhill gear. Given the history of user conflicts in the park, anything that makes us look more like storm troopers is no good. Especially on a busy Sunday.

I also learned long ago not to say things to provoke total strangers, odds are that you are going to come across some cro-magnon chest thumper that is looking to throw a Philly style beat down on someone, thanks for confirming this.

If you go out to relax and enjoy the trails, than this type of thing should roll right off you back. Dont let it get to you. There are plenty of pricks out there, lets not add to the numbers.
    I agree, I dont think a full DH body suit & full helmet is needed - but my freinds & i do wear kneed/shin protection. I dont think that it is fair for other riders to make fun of or make comments about ppl that feel safety is a # 1 priority. I know that I wear it for a reason 1) because I have had a knee injury when I was younger that required surgey & disabled me for almost a year 2) rocks hurt! And I know that my other 2 freinds have had injurys as well, & everytime we would go out & ride and they wacked there shin or knee (before they started wearing them as well) they wished they had them. Funny thing is that when they slammed there knee or shin the rocks they hit didnt feel a thing. I know that sometimes ya dont need them but I look at like this " Ya never know" ya hit something the wrong way & down ya go, I took a nice end of bars this summer at wiss & could have gotten banged up pretty bad but they saved me some pain. So to make comments is kinda immature there maybe more reason to it other than to speculate that the person wearing protective gear is a "wuss" just cause they dont like the feel of a rock or something blasting there knee - hey its a dangerous sport/hobby just like skiing or any other fast moving sport - safety is first & if I look like a idiot then so be it... its not a fasion show out there

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    B] [QUOTE=Fluid Dynamics]I dont have a problem with shin guards per se, but I do think that it is ridiculous to go out and ride the wiss in full body armour and downhill gear. Given the history of user conflicts in the park, anything that makes us look more like storm troopers is no good. Especially on a busy Sunday.

i agree with you about the full body armor,but i would keep my comments to myself, how do you know the rider with the full body armor did not have a injury he is trying to protect?

you are correct, why start trouble?there are different ways of expressing one point of view with out being offensive as far as confirming what?if the other party would just kept to themselves,there would be no issues. i make it a point when riding to be polite and help anyone who needs B]is it my fualt that i might be stronger or tougher than the idiot starting a fight?remeber,they made the comments in a childish manner.if they acted like adults,would they then have to deal witha chest thumping cromag?[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluid Dynamics

the reason i ride is to relax,and although we might have different points of views on things,you are more than welcome to ride with us, just dont make fun my my shin guards, or just wait until i am out of listening range.have a good day and a great ride.
    Last edited by grecco; 11-14-2005 at 05:45 AM.

Respect Your Trails
    To each his own. Some people spend a little extra money on protection that they may need, others spend it on pink jerseys pretending to be sponsored by T-Mobile or Heineken Beer all in the name of "looking good" Personally I wear shin guards everytime I ride, unless it is pure xc singletrack dirt. Otherwise your knees will always lose when up against rocks and logs. And based of the gouges and scratches on my shin and knee guards, I've given my knees some extra years of life. Also, if you don't ride clipless pedals, but platforms like I do, you know what its like to make hamburger meat out of your shins without the guards on. People will always have something to say about everything.....just hope you enjoyed the beautiful Nov. weather.

How were the trails? Leaf covered or clear? I was up at Bear Creek yesterday and it was a huge guessing game flying back down the mountain trying to figure out where the rocks and ruts were under the bed of leaves.... but fun non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by grecco
    B]

the reason i ride is to relax,and although we might have different points of views on things,you are more than welcome to ride with us, just dont make fun my my shin guards, or just wait until i am out of listening range.have a good day and a great ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    To each his own. Some people spend a little extra money on protection that they may need, others spend it on pink jerseys pretending to be sponsored by T-Mobile or Heineken Beer all in the name of "looking good" Personally I wear shin guards everytime I ride, unless it is pure xc singletrack dirt. Otherwise your knees will always lose when up against rocks and logs. And based of the gouges and scratches on my shin and knee guards, I've given my knees some extra years of life. Also, if you don't ride clipless pedals, but platforms like I do, you know what its like to make hamburger meat out of your shins without the guards on. People will always have something to say about everything.....just hope you enjoyed the beautiful Nov. weather.

How were the trails? Leaf covered or clear? I was up at Bear Creek yesterday and it was a huge guessing game flying back down the mountain trying to figure out where the rocks and ruts were under the bed of leaves.... but fun non the less.

about half of the trails had alot of beatiful multicolored leaves,
    but it was not that bad........
    hope you had great ride in bear creek.....

Members who have read this thread: 0