$15 Lift Access Vertical Earth Gravity Park Fathers Day- Mtbr.com
    AllDayinPA

$15 Lift Access Vertical Earth Gravity Park Fathers Day

11am - 8pm Lift Access !!!!
    $15 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fathers Day Festival Come Ride your bike with the whole family or just take the day to rip the trails. We'll have all 7 trails open including our DS track along with mechanical bull riding, amusements, music, classic car show, motorcycles, chainsaw competitions, beer, etc!
    Trail Map and Brochure can be downloaded from the website
    http://verticalearthpa.com

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I plan on coming, but I'm concerned about the sight seeing lift users that the Blue Mtn website talks about. I heard this was a big problem at some other bike park (maybe 7 springs last year, can't remember). Whats the prognosis on lift line time? Also, is this a rain or shine event?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Me and the wife will be coming over to ride the trails. Will be riding an SX trail wearing a black and camo jersey so give me a shout if you see me!

Gravity's Gone
    At least six of us, possibly as many as a dozen coming from the Danville - Bloomsburg area. We second the question - is this a rain or shine event?

AllDayinPA
    rain or shine everyone weather looking much better for Sunday

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    schweet.

trail addict
    my bud and I are planning on getting there for early afternoon, should be drying up by then...
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if there will be rental bikes/ demos available? Maybe a shop close by that rents trail bikes or downhill bikes? I want to go in the worst way but the people who want to go with me don't own bikes.
    2008 Iron Horse MKIII Trail - Bone Stock
    Member of the Rattling Creek SingleTrackers

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    the flyer says that bike shops and manufacturers will be on hand with demos, but unfortunately without names I wouldn't put too much stock into it right now.

mtbr member
    Leaving now. Hope I don't run into rain.

mtbr member
    Well let me know how it was. I couldn't find anyone to watch the baby and the wife works 3rd shift weekends so I got hosed.
    2008 Iron Horse MKIII Trail - Bone Stock
    Member of the Rattling Creek SingleTrackers

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    All of the employees of Blue Mtn and the Vertical Earth guys where super friendly. Very laid back attitude and and it looked like everyone was having fun. The trails started out extremely sloppy at 11am (I was maybe 10th in line when they started sending us up), and ended up just muddy by the time I left (about 3pm). I think I got 6 runs in.

I think the number one complaint will be the lack of available chair lifts. Only one bike + rider every other chair. By 3pm, the line was probably 15+ minutes. In the morning, however, I was waiting about 5 minutes tops. I had fun and will do it again if given the opportunity.

Thanks Blue Mountain and Vertical Earth!

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    My feelings of Blue Mountain are well documented, it really isn't so much a disdain for the mountain itself but the poor snow that is granulated sugar over ice that is only slightly harder than some of the rocks I rode over today. I went to Blue today with a sceptical but open mind, the reason for being sceptical wasn't so much for Blue, but that it was the first year for the trails and to an extent trails need to mature.

I arrived at Blue to a pretty full parking lot, there was not only mountain biking going on but a car show and other things as well that I am not going to get into here. Seeing the bikes that were riding around, Blue is drawing a pretty serious crowd. After signing my waiver and paying my reasonable lift ticket price of $15.00, I head over to the chairlift. There are a few guys ahead of me and it appears that only every 3rd chair has a bike attachment on it, not an issue now, but later when it gets more crowed the line is closer to 30 minute. As I get off the lift, a "red shirt" greets me and asks if I need any direction. I ask for a suggestion and I am told to take 7 to 4 back to 7. As soon as I turned on to 7, I was impressed with how the trail was set up, ti felt like a trail that was there for seasons. I then take the climb up to 4 which was a little more technical than I wasn't ready for. The lower part of 7 is pretty much a green ski trail which was like a fire road. I took that over to the duel slalom course which was a lot of fun and very well designed.

When I got down to the lift again, I realized that my suspension was set up too stiff with too much rebound. I released some air and headed back up. The second run was a ton better with the suspension muuuch smoother. Instead of taking 4 in the middle, I tool 7 top to bottom (still with the dual slalom). Where I barely hit 25 MPH on the first run, being bounced around a lot, this run I hit into the 30's a couple of times.

On the next 3 rides I took 7 into lower 4. Lower 4 was a ton of fun, it really reminded me of 6 or 11 at Killington.

I am one to make my dissatisfaction as well as my satisfaction known. I made sure to find the guy in charge, I am guessing it was the guy, he looked important, he had TWO radios. I told him how impressed I was with the job they were doing and the quality of the trail network. I talked to some of the guys who did the trail work and told them that they should be proud with the work they have done.

If they are basing their decision on the feasibility of running the lifts on this weekend (and it sounds like they are), with this crowd, I cannot see how they cannot open every weekend. Now can they get the guys that did the work on the trails to do the snowmaking. ;-)
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    The lift lines were crazy long. They are working on more hooks though and soon every lift will have a hook. Right now it's just every other. The trails were better than I expected after the build day that I attended. Still too much off camber for me, it would have been much better if it was dry though.

They are making good progress and the mountain has a lot of potential. Keep up the good work, if they keep building at the rate they have so far, the bike park could have a good future.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    The only complaint I have is that I had to wait about 25 minutes for more release forms to be printed out. I got in 4 runs down the full course and did about 8 runs at the dual slalom. Met a few people and had a good time. I hope they open it up more over the summer.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by droptopchevy
    The only complaint I have is that I had to wait about 25 minutes for more release forms to be printed out. I got in 4 runs down the full course and did about 8 runs at the dual slalom. Met a few people and had a good time. I hope they open it up more over the summer.
    I was talking to the guy that had to go get more waivers printed, we commented that it was a "happy problem" that they ran out. I hope the crowds on Sunday were enough to make the decision that they need to open every weekend.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Gravity's Gone

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Great pics.

There was some TV interviewing going on and taking video on the trail..anyone know what that was for and if and when it is to air?
    Click. Point. Chute.

Gravity's Gone
    I don't know. They interviewed my buddy, so if you find out let me know. Here's a video from the jump line:

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5271838&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5271838&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

AllDayinPA

Fathers Day Review

Sunday was a freaking great day. To start the day at 6:30 am it was rain slightly at the top of the mountain. I said to myself " it is what it is " to try and keep the sanity with mother nature's gift the last few weeks. The forecast the night before at 1:00 am was 70% chance of rain, mostly in the morning. As the morning continued the rain tapered off the tape went up, and suddenly it looked like it might just stop raining. The Vertical Earth crew showed up ready to put on their first debut to the open public. By the time they finished grooming the trails the line was 30 deep. Not to mention I'm seeing a different crowd of riders. The crew got back to the base and the line was longer. I couldn't believe the turnout with the forecast we had. The VE crew went up found the new riders and put tours on all day. I know George, Chris Hecki, Smiley, Fletcher, etc., took multiple groups down the mountain to give mountain tours to our new guests which seemed to go over very well. The Roncas were rolling fixing and tuning bikes that were fresh to this type of terrain. THX guys for being there and putting on a great show.

To sum up the past few months I can't express the thx to all who have come up to be part of this project. In the beginning of the season there were multiple groups of riders from different places. Not everyone knew each other and funny enough it was very noticeable the different clicks. For me, I know most of the riders and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't just one big party. My fiance mentioned to me over the weekend, she noticed how some people now embrace one another when they see each other. This whole adventure has been a roller coaster with the hands up at all times. The most rewarding experience for me is to see the new friendships, stories, good times, etc., that has been a result of the Vertical Earth movement. Of course there are some speed bumps along the way but ultimately they are " speed bumps. " As a result it looks like a mountain bike park in our back yards is about to open. The fine details of course are being figured out but the mountain is very excited and I feel very comfortable letting everyone know that it looks like a go ! The rider count was 218 with a not so favorable forecast. Big THX to all the riders for putting on a good impression to the mountain. Riders were pleasant, clean, patient, and very friendly showing what the sport is all about. The future looks very bright to bring the best mountain bike experience for all riders with lift access here within an hour for most. The next race is July 31st - Aug 2nd. Stay tuned for more details to roll out.

mtbr member
    I'm really glad that the mountain management realizes that people want a bike park at blue. The mountain is certainly big enough. As long as there is an improvement in the lift line situation, I'll be thrilled.
    Team _________

Members who have read this thread: 0