a$$hat hunters- Mtbr.com

Thread: a$$hat hunters

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

a$$hat hunters

ok so today is the 1st day of rifle for deer in PA, and me and a few others go to maybe the 1 place (or 2) in luzerne county that is of limits to hunters, well apparently hunters don't give a shiite because because they were in the boundries of the park putting a drive on from the start of deacon towards ledgeview, when confronted and told it was illegal to hunt in county parks the response was oh we've been hunting here for years it's legal.. heads up hunters don't care
    subsequent calls to the county and game commission yield no help

Chilling out
    I've run across hunters in Moon since I got here in '09, every freaking year.

With the decrepitude there's just no way to stop them.

It sucks.

Ride with cowbells attached to the bikes. Scare the deer away.

Maybe a ghetto blaster too.

mtbr member
    you cant say "ghetto blaster" in a public form it will cause a riot
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Chilling out
    << waiting for the riot >>

mtbr member
    Use a mistuned set of canti brakes to squeal them to death. "Oh, I was only braking..."
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    SuperSedona SuperSelfie

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

a$$hat hunters

Wear blaze orange.

I spent two years working in PA, but never went hunting or fishing because I couldn't figure out your strange game commission laws. Required to wear a fishing license to be seen visibly??? Hunter safety class for a middle aged guy who has a valid hunting license from his resident state???

Either way, maybe the trails weave in and out of the actual park lines. Or maybe a WMA bounds the park?

Wear blaze, and ride fast.

Chilling out
    A. Any Avid brake in autumn will squeal and gobble, IMO.

B. Seems multiple hunters on ledgeview, edge, natures way, and dark. Nowhere near property lines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Wearing your orange is almost essential this time of year. Hunters can be anywhere and it is better to be safe than sorry. Also, and this will cause a riot, most hunters can "accidentally" shoot you and get away with it, so don't piss them off!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABud View Post
    SuperSedona SuperSelfie
    Thx.

Bright colors are usually a win while riding anyway. Yellow helmet yellow jersey, Pink, Orange etc. Black is so booring...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Pictures and a phone call to the police.

They want to give us crap about riding on game lands, it goes right back at hunters twice as hard.

They have 1.4 MILLION acres of designated game lands, they can hunt on those lands. Isn't that what they want?

mtbr member
    Just stop right in front of them and piss. The deer pick up on the smell and will avoid the area.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a donut shop at Da Moon so I doubt if the police will come. We were there last year and had hunters actually aiming down at us above ledgeview. This time of year I always carry myself in case some idiot starts shooting. I doubt there is much that can be done. It seems hunters carry all the weight in this state. What will they do when there is no deer population left?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a donut shop at Da Moon so I doubt if the police will come. We were there last year and had hunters actually aiming down at us above ledgeview. This time of year I always carry myself in case some idiot starts shooting. I doubt there is much that can be done. It seems hunters carry all the weight in this state. What will they do when there is no deer population left?
    Well, some Mountainbikers are kinda fat, so I wonder if they will start with them? Would be an interesting race on state game lands!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    The part that pissed me off was that the idiot wanted to argue with us and say that it is legal to hunt in the park. The sign at the main gate clearly says no hunting. He insisted that that hunting is allowed. Maybe he can't read, or maybe he's just a dick.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moon Lake park borders private and other owned land that hunting is allowed on, and the border boundaries are at very acute angles, so one walking one will travel through areas of the park proper and other land!

Don't worry the drones are watching!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sorry Lee, these guys were sitting on ledge view, and edge and the one guy was driving from start of deacon near maint shack def inside park bouindries

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ledgeview has a deep cut running from 8. One of the deep pie cuts that exists.

I wish there was this much interest in the park when I call a workday...
    ...and when I attend the meetings I never see any of you there!

Posting this on mtbr is just pissing into the wind!

mtbr member
    From the start of Deacon? Holy hell. Maybe in the Endor-like woods near Flume/NFS; I can imagine hunters there. (Also, incidentally, Ewoks). But not near Deacon.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I wish there was this much interest in the park when I call a workday...
    Make sure you call the workday on here, too. I'm in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    had a nice conversation from a gentleman from the county today, he was in touch with game commission. 1st off know the park boundaries and if you encounter hunting activities within park boundaries call the Sheriff's dept, 570 825 1651, just make sure its in park boundaries, so as not cause false alarm, i do believe most of the 1st half of 8 and parts of the 2nd half, nfs/flume and 5858 are outside the boundaries, but these areas are ST forest so you can ride but wear colors, all about safety

mtbr member
    Z-wave...what is your avatar? lol... are you from Freelend?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Z-wave...what is your avatar? lol... are you from Freelend?
    Leaves and a bike shoe from a ride I took behind Montage. Doesn't show up so well haha. Nah, I'm from Moosic. Moosic Mountain is only 15 minutes away. Da Moon is 45 and still my favorite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    just make sure its in park boundaries, so as not cause false alarm, i do believe most of the 1st half of 8 and parts of the 2nd half, nfs/flume and 5858 are outside the boundaries
    Not totally sure. I think this is the official boundary. It's from the state mapping thing.

a$$hat hunters-screen-shot-2014-12-02-7.01.12-pm.png

I sketched it out on Google's My Maps. You can see where the trails are. (This week, I added the trail map to the official Google Maps. It was a ton of work haha.)

a$$hat hunters-screen-shot-2014-12-02-7.04.09-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    What will they do when there is no deer population left?
    Really? That will NEVER happen in PA. Deer reproduce much faster than we can control. They need to be controlled with hunting, or you'd see a whole lot more scattered all over the roads. They are not going to become extinct. We are dealing with a problem hunter in our local county park. Not all hunters are *****. But some surely are.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Z,

Great stuff there...
    ...thanks!

and... there are now "No Hunting" signs by the old farm road access off Moon Lake Drive!

SlowDave,

This is exactly what I was saying: No one has the right to tell anyone where they can hunt other than a WCO or GC official if they are "not" on Moon lake property!

Trying to define the property lines once your out in the woods is impossible, but the park boundries are defined in the Master Plan for the park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-wave View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 7.01.12 PM.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	943581

I sketched it out on Google's My Maps. You can see where the trails are. (This week, I added the trail map to the official Google Maps. It was a ton of work haha.)

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 7.04.09 PM.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	943582
    Nice work on the map.

mtbr member
    Update:

The boundary I sketched out was not correct. It's actually something like this: (From Moon Lake Park Master Plan)

It gets confusing. The land near 8, Star, NFS— it's outside "official" park boundaries. But it's county property; not a state forest. Luzerne County bought that land around 2005. (It more than doubles the size of the park to around 1400 acres). What that means for hunting, I don't know. At any rate, Moon Lake Park trails are all on county property—not on state forest land.

a$$hat hunters-screen-shot-2014-12-11-6.11.05-pm.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner View Post
    Nice work on the map.
    Thanks so much!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-wave View Post
    Update:

The boundary I sketched out was not correct. It's actually something like this: (From Moon Lake Park Master Plan)

It gets confusing. The land near 8, Star, NFS— it's outside "official" park boundaries. But it's county property; not a state forest. Luzerne County bought that land around 2005. (It more than doubles the size of the park to around 1400 acres). What that means for hunting, I don't know. At any rate, Moon Lake Park trails are all on county property—not on state forest land.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 6.11.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	945963

Thanks so much!
    We built from the map Clif gave us so yes it is correct, but the land you speak of is the missing link that the forest would like to obtain for their expansion.

On a more concerning note I encountered hunters and gut piles in the main part of the park. Previous to that new signs were placed but signs do nothing!

More and more I'm seeing a new type of hunter, they drive around in thier truck looking for deer, and I can't say they shoot at them, but talking with one person who was stopped on the phone, he had his rifle on the console of his truck, to me that is deemed "in the act of hunting" I'm not against hunting I'm against "hunting improper"

mtbr member
    Most hunters, myself included don't give a **** if "we" ride on Game Lands. It's a Game Commission thing, they need/want more money, and think that they can get it from another source, bikers. Hunters do carry a lot of weight in PA, as well they should, we pay for it. Yearly I pay between 60-80 dollars for the privilege to hunt the Kings animals but we lucked out this year and had a dollar knocked off the price of a fishing license.

There are ***** on both side of the fence, seeing what mountain bikers did a few years back to my brother in laws hunting cabin on Rattling Creek made me want to punch mountain bikers in the face. But then I bought a bike and saw that not everyone was like those few bikers that had no regard for hunters personal property, it was the opposite, the ***** were few and very far between. Bob actually drove a severely injured fat biker out of the woods to his buddies car last year right before archery season... Sorry for the rant but I really hate the us vs them mentality some of us get this time of year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma05 View Post
    Sorry for the rant but I really hate the us vs them mentality some of us get this time of year.
    I agree. I have the pleasure to trail build in a county park that opened to archery when it open to Mtb. Hunting was needed because the deer were protected on the 1200 acre property and through over population denatured the park leaving it overrun with invasives mostly Autumn Olive. I talk to a lot of the hunters, they don't really have a problem with us and they say our trail building has opened up access to more of the park and we stir the herd. I think the biggest problem is a lack of understanding/ communication, we never know when first day is and that is a good time to stay out of the park the for first few Saturday mornings. It's about Respect.

mtbr member
    a$$hat hunters-photo.jpg

Saw this at White Clay. Brilliant.

Did you ever have ham?
    I am always nice and friendly to hunters. I may be big and tough, but I don't want to wrestle a bullet! I just make sure to make plenty of noise and wear bright colors!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!