Bike St. Lucia- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike St. Lucia

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bike St. Lucia

did a quick search but didn't see anything. Headed to St Lucia this month and thought i'd try the Bike St. Lucia jungle trails - the place the mighty Tinker Juarez consulted on.

Anyone been? Specifically been on "Tinkers Trail" in there?

thx

Calm Like a Bomb
    I'm headed there at the end of March. Please let me know how things went for you. Thanks.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Never been there, really want to get there sometime to try and conquer Tinker's trail, as it's said he's the only one who's made the entire climb without stopping or dabbing. I think you'll have some good fun, trails look interesting, interesting trail surface, please post up pics and thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm curious too. Heading there early February

mtbr member
    heading there also at the end of February.
    looking forward to riding in warmth again
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    just back - unless you really need to get some quick loops in for training or something, i'd skip it. the beach where it's at is sick - gourgeous and mellow. Just hang there and then pop back over to the beach next door (Anse Chastanet) where the snorkeling is killer.

a few things about this:

The bikes suck - not sure why i thought it would be different - guess i was hoping against hope. Old, old cannondales. That alone basically ruins the riding. And it's not worth bringing your own bike down there.

you have to have a guide take you on this small loop to start. It's part of the deal and you can't just say "no thanks." Its this canned (yet also interesting somewhat) thing where they talk to you about the sugar mill plantation that was there (ruins are there) and the fruit and fauna around there. Was good, but a little too long - stopping every two seconds. The guide was funny and a nice guy.

After the loop, you're free to go at it on your own. It's a small area, with some easy rolling single track, and a couple of short more technical loops (sort of) that just feel shitty on those bikes. They tout "Tinkers Trail" on the website (after Tinker Juarez obviously), a 1000 foot climb in under a mile. Well, it's unrideable in most parts. I hike a biked it all the way (ride a bit, then hike, repeat, repeat) and rung the bell - it was steeeeep as hell with impossible switchbacks. The loose scree rocks, super dry rutted soil, and jungle leaves made it impossible. It was rough. And in order to even think about riding it down the whole way, you'd need a dialed out downhill rig. Trying to ride these junkers down was taking your life into your hands. Not sure if they've just stopped trying to maintain it, or if it's always been that way, but it's kind of a waste. Great view on top though. At the bottom i asked the guide back at the shop - "wait, Tinker's never made that has he?" they where like "no way mon. he's human. I don't think anyone's made that climb up without hiking." Just seems like a waste - why not try to cut a more doable climb that still goes up there and gives you a killer workout?

Anyway, again - i'd not really bother if you're a serious rider. If you're there with your lady or someone that's not a huge rider and just want to experience something different and not have big expectations, well, then i'd say cool, go for it..

I did a bunch of laps on my own trying to do some tempo and semi interval work just to sweat all the rum out, and it was ok and had me working somewhat, but again just not enjoyable on those bikes. If you do want to go to that beach/resort/mtb area, have 4 wheel drive - the roads there are insane and awful. Me and my wife had a little clunker car and it barely made it.

all in all a good time in St. Lucia. I'd go back to St. Johns before going back to St. Lucia (better hikes, more killer secluded beaches, etc), but St. Lucia had a lot of that and real beauty. Stayed at a real rustic yet gorgeous guest house that i can tell anyone about if they're interested.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Thanks for the heads up. I kinda figured that's how it might be. I think I'll pass on it and do another activity.
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    just got back from our vacation
    we were not able to get to bike st lucia.
    they would not organize a pick up for us unless we had 4 people at the resort going.
    it would have cost us close to $300 American to organize the cab fare back and forth plus the biking.
    was very disappointed in this outfit for not doing more to try and make this happen.
    ended up doing another jungle bike ride excursion organized through our resort.
    not quite what I was hoping for but at least we got on the bikes (old hard tail giants with V breaks).
    better than nothing I guess
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was