GEAUX TIGERS!!!

WRT eastern expansion

Today I rode the Wilson River Trail (WRT) but decided to park at Elk Creek Campground and head east to see the WRT east expansion. I see just about a half mile to the east the WRT crosses the creek to a section called Idiot's Creek Trail. I couldn't ford the creek so I just kept riding up the Elk Creek Trail. Looking at a map, this Idiot's Creek Trail is part of the WRT. Google Tillamook State Forest and the map: TSF_NonMotoTrailGuide_vOctober2010.pdf

Although I have not ridden this Idiot's Creek section, it looks to be about 2+ miles long with all the switchbacks and looks to be fun with the topo it traverses. From where it ends, it looks to be about 5+ miles to be able to hook up with the Storey Burn Trail. Does anyone know if this is the plan, to continue and hook up with Storey Burn? That would be killer!

Anyway, I continued to ride up Elks Creek Trail, but couldn't hook up with the screaming downhill that is Elk Mtn Trail due to about 2 feet of snow (pic below), so I bombed back down which was really fun and continued west on WRT. Warning: the first bridge crossing on WRT is washed out (pic below). Must have been some very high and fast moving water to break the log bridge like it did (pic below).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WRT eastern expansion-wrtbridge.jpg  

WRT eastern expansion-elkcreeksnow.jpg  

Last edited by RighteousTrail; 04-09-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Obviously Single
    Hey Man! Long time no ride together!

The eastern new section of the WRT is not open. That's why the bridge you were looking for is not present. I understand some of the trail is actually created, but it is not officially open. (I've never even seen that section, but I know of others that have seen it.)

As far as the bridge being out, I passed that on to the Director of the Tillamook District.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Also, Elk Mountain trail (and King's Mtn trail for that matter) are not open to bikes. Elk Creek and WRT are good to go. Hell, Elk Mtn is already a scramble on foot going downhill, I couldn't imagine that on a bike.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    Hey Man! Long time no ride together!

The eastern new section of the WRT is not open. That's why the bridge you were looking for is not present. I understand some of the trail is actually created, but it is not officially open. (I've never even seen that section, but I know of others that have seen it.)

As far as the bridge being out, I passed that on to the Director of the Tillamook District.
    Hey man, I knew you would respond to this being the steward of the WRT and all

There is actually a sign pointing across the creek to the new section and it does not say it is closed.

Obviously Single

Soft vs Hard ...

Quote Originally Posted by RighteousTrail View Post
    Hey man, I knew you would respond to this being the steward of the WRT and all

There is actually a sign pointing across the creek to the new section and it does not say it is closed.
    That's what you call a "soft closure".
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When is he news section going to open and what are the details?

Obviously Single

Don't Know! HydroGeek?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    When is he news section going to open and what are the details?
    Hi NW!

I don't know the answer to that. I quit working directly with ODF a few years ago (out of frustration with their patrol). I could find out, perhaps, but I suspect Hyrdo Geek may know.

Fred?
    The Lee-Man

I got nothin'
    Gents, the new section of trail is open to use. The problem is that there isn't and bridge over Elk Creek to access it. You can access the trail from up top via Idiot Creek road or wait until late summer and walk across Elk Creek. It's a real ball buster of a climb, so be prepared.

I have talked to Forest Grove Rec staff about building a temporary bridge, but the permitting is an issue. It would have to be put in after salmon migration then taken out right before the fall run. No funding in sight to do that work at this time.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    Gents, the new section of trail is open to use. The problem is that there isn't and bridge over Elk Creek to access it. You can access the trail from up top via Idiot Creek road or wait until late summer and walk across Elk Creek. It's a real ball buster of a climb, so be prepared.

I have talked to Forest Grove Rec staff about building a temporary bridge, but the permitting is an issue. It would have to be put in after salmon migration then taken out right before the fall run. No funding in sight to do that work at this time.
    sweet... thanks for the news!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Obviously Single

Good job! Let's get a Bridge!

Fred: perhaps we should find out how much a bridge would cost. Perhaps we could work on getting a grant and/or using volunteer hours to offset cost, as has been done before?
    The Lee-Man

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Is the plan to eventually hook up the WRT to either Storey Burn or Historic Hiking Trail? It looks to be around 5+ miles to connect.

Obviously Single

Yes

Is the plan to eventually hook up the WRT to either Storey Burn or Historic Hiking Trail? It looks to be around 5+ miles to connect.
    I thought Fred might answer this, but since he hasn't, yet, here's what I "know".

The long-term plan is to have a trail from Mt. Hood to the Coast, and WRT will be part of that.

More locally, yes, the plan is to first hook up WRT with Story Burn. Later, that will be extended both West a little farther, towards the coast, and east, towards Portland along Gales Creek -- way way in the future.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mt Hood to the Coast!?! Are you kidding? That would be incredible.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    whats this "rep power" and why am I at 0?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    whats this "rep power" and why am I at 0?
    It lost all credibility when a certain someone's color "changed". It reminds me of the group that a certain character in The Fountainhead created when he could not influence the "real" architects. I think that you are special Hagen. On line opinion's are just like *&^%holes.

-Cheers and nice to see you! Talk Andy into movin' back!!!!

Obviously Single

True!

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    It lost all credibility when a certain someone's color "changed". It reminds me of the group that a certain character in The Fountainhead created when he could not influence the "real" architects. I think that you are special Hagen. On line opinion's are just like *&^%holes.

Good answer, Poppa!

I think rep power is right up there with foursquare badges ...
    The Lee-Man

Singletrack Addict
    Good answer, Poppa!

I think rep power is right up there with foursquare badges ...
    There's foursquare badges? I want one.

Hey Righteous, good riding with you yesterday, thanks for showing me TT&M.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post

You two hooked up yesterday. Damn, I knew that I should have done another lap and left Brian at the car. The man from Tahoe would have dug it! Sorry I missed you Charley. TT & M is super fun.

I got nothin'
    Fred: perhaps we should find out how much a bridge would cost. Perhaps we could work on getting a grant and/or using volunteer hours to offset cost, as has been done before?
    Leeman, that would be a great plan, but the bridge required would have to be like the one at the Diamond Mill OHV park. Big and really expensive. My guess is around $100k minimum then add design, permitting, planning, etc.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Thanks Randall. I think the person you have to talk to is Elicia to get Andy back here because I would think that Andy is all in.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post

No problemo.

Whoa! Look, rep power went from 0 to 8 over night. How the hell?

Obviously Single

Why?

Leeman, that would be a great plan, but the bridge required would have to be like the one at the Diamond Mill OHV park. Big and really expensive. My guess is around $100k minimum then add design, permitting, planning, etc.
    Fred, why not put in a split-log bridge like most of those on the WRT?
    The Lee-Man

I got nothin'
    Fred, why not put in a split-log bridge like most of those on the WRT?
    The distance across Elk Creek is way too long for a log stringer bridge. The permanent bridge has to span the width of the creek during winter/spring high flows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The distance across Elk Creek is way too long for a log stringer bridge. The permanent bridge has to span the width of the creek during winter/spring high flows.
    How about a basket / rope / pulley system? That bridge that you refer to is a monster. I would prefer 25-30 miles(extra) of trail instead of all that $ for one bridge.

Obviously Single

Too complicated! :)

How about a basket / rope / pulley system? That bridge that you refer to is a monster. I would prefer 25-30 miles(extra) of trail instead of all that $ for one bridge.
    I was thinking of something much more simple ...

Cross the bridge that already exists right at the current Trail Head, and go along the river (more or less) until you reach the climb.

Fred, I know this isn't your decision. Did not mean to put you in the position of having to defend ODF.
    The Lee-Man

I got nothin'
    I was thinking of something much more simple ...

Cross the bridge that already exists right at the current Trail Head, and go along the river (more or less) until you reach the climb.

Fred, I know this isn't your decision. Did not mean to put you in the position of having to defend ODF.
    Ahh, maybe some confusion here. Yes, cross the existing bridge from the EC TH. Then travel up Elk Creek Road a short distance, then you have to cross Elk Creek itself to go east. The new trail is just below the tributary coming from the east on an old logging road. The big climb starts afterwards. I walked through Elk Creek in June '08 and it was about two feet deep. I know it can really rip at times.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    New guy question.... What is TT&M?

Obviously Single

Too complicated! :)

Ahh, maybe some confusion here. Yes, cross the existing bridge from the EC TH. Then travel up Elk Creek Road a short distance, then you have to cross Elk Creek itself to go east. The new trail is just below the tributary coming from the east on an old logging road. The big climb starts afterwards. I walked through Elk Creek in June '08 and it was about two feet deep. I know it can really rip at times.
    Fred: I believe I already understand where the trail is, but I'm not making clear what I'm suggesting.

I'll talk to you in person about it next time we ride ...
    The Lee-Man

MattSavage
    Fred: I believe I already understand where the trail is, but I'm not making clear what I'm suggesting.

I'll talk to you in person about it next time we ride ...
    Why not just cut in trail on the eastside of Elk Cr. before you cross the bridge, that way you don't have to screw around with bridges and water crossings?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Why not just cut in trail on the eastside of Elk Cr. before you cross the bridge, that way you don't have to screw around with bridges and water crossings?
    The east-side of elk creek runs along a cliff for a section before the eastern extension of WRT. The new trail is nice, but obviously was very expensive, and right now a trail to no where that no one rides or hikes. A big waste of money in other words. It would be nice if they prioritized trail building projects that didn't require expensive bridges, contract labor, and dynamite.

Obviously Single

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Matt: I believe that's the same route I was suggesting.

There's actually an old "road" that goes up the hill right there. I've hiked on it before, but it's quite overgrown.
    The Lee-Man

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    The east-side of elk creek runs along a cliff for a section before the eastern extension of WRT. The new trail is nice, but obviously was very expensive, and right now a trail to no where that no one rides or hikes. A big waste of money in other words. It would be nice if they prioritized trail building projects that didn't require expensive bridges, contract labor, and dynamite.
    As posted before, this trail is part of a larger plan (or dream) to connect the coast with Forest Grove. The section being discussed was done with grant money if I remember right, so a good idea for ODF to grab it while they can.

Members who have read this thread: 0