work trip to Portland: which bike to bring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

work trip to Portland: which bike to bring?

I'm going to be in Portland from Jan-Mar and keen to ride. Should I bring hardtail or 6" bike? Are there suitable trails for 6" bike at this time of year, close enough for daytrips? Or should I resign myself to fireroads on the hardtail? Are there trails you can ride to from downtown? Where's best on web to hookup with riders? Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    check PM

Metalheadbikerider
    I have both bikes you described, and I wold go with the 6". If the weather is good you will be able to shred Sandy Ridge, Cold Creek and Syncline (all within an hour or so). There are some trails at all three spots that will have you happy aboard the 6". There aren't any trails that can be ridden from downtown, or at least any that will be worth it on the 6" (unless you are just looking to log some miles). Think workout in a nice wooded area versus a sweet mtb ride. This site and FB are the best places to hook up with other riders. If you have a FB account check out the Sandy Ridge page, the Northwest Trail Alliance page, and the PDX Area mtb Rippers.
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cheers for the info. Is it worth bringing a full face? If I was thinking of buying a bike (they're much more expensive in the UK), what are the good mtb shops?

Metalheadbikerider
    I don't run a full face for the trails I listed, though a few others do. Lots of good shops in town for buying a mountain bike. I could help narrow it down if you had some specific brand options in mind.
    If you're in town on the last Tuesday of any month, come to our local mtb organization meeting at Velo Cult Bike Shop and Tavern at 6pm. Beers and B.S.ing, along with some good info on where to ride, find a guide, etc. I'll be the dude running the meeting and will buy you a local craft beer.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by lochussie View Post
    Cheers for the info. Is it worth bringing a full face? If I was thinking of buying a bike (they're much more expensive in the UK), what are the good mtb shops?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks, that sounds like an offer I can't refuse!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Free-Agent: You seem to be the man to talk to. My buddy and I are planning an Oregon trip from the SF Bay Area this month. Check your PM.
    Go ride your bike.