Wintertime rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Wintertime rides

Hey everyone. I'm just sitting here at work, not wanting to work. Wanting to ride. I'm wondering what people's favorite wintertime rides in Oregon are.

mtbr member
    Horse ridge, Cline Butte, Coyote Loop, Smithrock/Grey Butte in Bend are primo.

Lots more winter options, but these stand out for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Horse ridge, Cline Butte, Coyote Loop, Smithrock/Grey Butte in Bend are primo.

Lots more winter options, but these stand out for me.
    Whats the deal with Cline? the bendtrails makes it sound like its closed on private property or something. I used to ride moto out there years ago before they started closing everything down. Haven't ridden MTB there but would like to hit that DH track.
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash XL

mtbr member
    Cline has been on a BLM master plan for years and things are finally starting to get going from what I hear.

The Land at the bottom of cline near the road is within some private property - as is the XC route which starts just up the road. So it's mainly land around the road that is the issue currently. Just recently the owners have been locking the gate - and it appears that will be the standard going forward. Any use of the lower trail and the road could be breaking the law technically.

That said - what I have been told by the COTA BLM Liason is that they are working through the road issue and nothing concrete has been handed down from a use perspective. Nobody has posted big signs to NOT use the road or lower trail (yet), so it's all a grey area at the moment. COTA has not said anything about NOT riding the road.

I have been told there is a new Up trail near the road or on the East side which should sooth the road climb issue. This is in the BLM master plan.

All 3 DH trails are in the master plan as well and are legit for now. One trail may be at risk due to an eagle nest, but nothing has been decided as of now.

Cota has started laying out trail on the West side of cline which will be a little more XC and not as DH focused. Blue trail mainly and I hear Tberg may be working on planning those if he has time. That's a good thing.

I think Cascade View TH will become the main entry into the cline area, but not sure on that...

mtbr member
    Thanks,

Is there a way up without going on the road? or "breaking" the law.

Edit: I think i see the east trail or dirt road or something from the main road going up in my Gia GPS app.

mtbr member
    I think you can take the road which goes past the rock quarry and there are ways up the ridge that way.

There's a big sign near the start of the FAA road which says "cline butte rec area..."

By all impressions it appears as nothing has changed. Just a locked gate.

I still ride as usual but I don't park my car inside the gate any longer.

mtbr member
    Never actually been to the trail head. I always parked off Barr road back in the day.

May check it out tomorrow thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Ok so I went to the cline trailhead with the gate. Gate was closed, private property signs and no tresspassing signs.

The huge "Entering Cline Recreation" area also said that the road up is private propery and to stay out.

I cannot stand it when people tresspass on my property, so I chose to find a legal route and did.

I drove up the road to that next road/trailhead. went in a bit and parked and climbed up a dirt road. The top end of it was super steep lol I had to hike.

Here is my route... a little bit of backtracking up top because I was trying to figure out what trail was trail #1. I was on a hardtail, figured #2 would end me.

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/oo1AdyFqFJeu2inlwleWcXWH
    Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 12-10-2017 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map and recon and reading the fine print on the signs.

Good info.

mtbr member
    By the way I parked here.. where the star is.

Had to go through one gate about half way up the dirt road. and another to get back to the truck. both were marked "please close gate". If I did it again I would probably just park near the bottom gate..and you can hop on the XC trail right there the blue pin on my map I think?Wintertime rides-ejuutkz.png

Here is a video from today. My gimbal is acting up on left turns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5kTfxXUXx4

mtbr member
    Cool, glad you got out there. Video makes me wanna ride, all that powdered sugar!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
    Here is a video from today.
    This made me smile. Especially your comments as you rode. Thanks for sharing it.

mtbr member
    Alright onto Grey Butte next. Whats the best direction to go around for more fun down?

Edit: Looks like fog/freezing rain/snow coming. Might be snowmobile time next weekend instead.

mtbr member
    Grey butte is best CCW, ride up the road, traverse and down cow canyon.

mtbr member
    We hit Sandy Ridge Saturday and the trails were "mint" as they say! Sandy and Syncline are my favs for winter as long as there is not the Freeze/thawing thing going on.

mtbr member
    How is sandy ridge now?

I have a week off, and getting bored here in Bend.

Todays ride horse butte/coyote loop : https://youtu.be/ZO_CUhPgBWg

Out spokin'
    How is sandy ridge now?

I have a week off, and getting bored here in Bend.

Todays ride horse butte/coyote loop : https://youtu.be/ZO_CUhPgBWg
    I enjoyed your vid, KTMDirtFace. Thanks for posting that. Sorry, dont know about Sandy Ridge. My girlfriend lives in Keizer so she & I have been hitting the Catamount Trail in Silver Falls State Park quite a bit these days. If you find yourself in that neck, its worthy. Nothing like Sandy Ridge but a good XCish trail with a few fun booters and bumps to keep things interesting. Trail seems to hold up to weather okay.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    How is sandy ridge now?
    Snow-covered.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Ride a $1500 smart trainer with a $15 a month Zwift video game a blazing. Just kidding 😜

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Via BendTrails.org:

"The best areas for winter riding are shown below: Maston, Horse Butte & Swamp Wells, Smith Rock & Grey Butte, Horse Ridge and Cline Butte. All of these areas are prime winter riding spots."

All the links for those maps on BendTrails can be found here 🎄 Winter Trail Updates from BendTrails

There is also a section of Fat Bike specific trails on the main page if that is an option for you.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Is there 2 days worth of (dry) riding in Bend right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    It just pissed a bunch of rain and warmed up the last week. So most of the sandy/frozen ground in the horsebutte/swamp wells area is now soup...I think. I haven't actually ridden it because the ground at my property which is close is like quicksand.

So not sure. It was running awesome until then when it was frozen solid ground.

I'm not sure on the other areas, maybe I will check something out on sunday.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Bummer, but thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    The valley is gonna be awesome. BRMBA tomorrow, then Whypass for All Comers Meet on Sunday with DoD...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Someone reported no mud at the Radlands yesterday so I would guess Maston/Cline trails will be similar. Horse Ridge is probably in decent shape too but perhaps a few mud puddles.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Cline, maston, Horse ridge, radlands are all probably good to go. Cole loop was reported as riding well, which is basically smith rock. I would be careful there tho, that mud is the absolute worst to get stuck in near grey butte.

Phil's = mud.

Singletrack Addict
    Hope you got out last weekend. I rode Alpine in OROR on Saturday. It was so good, we skipped ACM and rode it again on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    It was so good, we skipped ACM
    ACM was a hoot, but trails were worse than I expected. Ode to Joy held up pretty well. SST was marginal. Mama Tried was a greasy and slick mess.

EDIT - PS I had a couple friends out there on Alpine as well on Sunday, Heckletooth and Lawler on Saturday. Looked great.

mtbr member
    Was gonna post that Cline is riding great, instead I'm posting that some douchebag sabotaged the landing of the first jump in the big line. This happened today, as I was out there riding that line yesterday and it was clear. This was in the landing of the first jump in the big line, right after the corner where the trail splits:

There was nothing above this on the trail to indicate that that the trail was closed or anything. Talked to one of the builders and it's definitely not "closed" due to trail work or anything. If you were dropping into this line blind from the top (as I have done several times) with the right speed to clear the first jump, you probably would not see that log until you were in the air. It would end badly. The only reason someone would have put that there is a specific intention to hurt someone. Frickin' lame!

It's entirely possible that there could be areas on the normal trails sabotaged as well (I noticed an out-of-place log in the middle of the normal XC trail too, but that was easy to hop over). For now I'd recommend caution on the downhill runs, in particular anything with a blind approach.

If I catch anyone doing this kind of crap out there, I'm gonna bitch-slap first and ask questions later. Well unless they're sporting a gun, which I've been seeing a lot of out there these days...

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Was gonna post that Cline is riding great, instead I'm posting that some douchebag sabotaged the landing of the first jump in the big line. This happened today, as I was out there riding that line yesterday and it was clear. This was in the landing of the first jump in the big line, right after the corner where the trail splits:

There was nothing above this on the trail to indicate that that the trail was closed or anything. Talked to one of the builders and it's definitely not "closed" due to trail work or anything. If you were dropping into this line blind from the top (as I have done several times) with the right speed to clear the first jump, you probably would not see that log until you were in the air. It would end badly. The only reason someone would have put that there is a specific intention to hurt someone. Frickin' lame!

It's entirely possible that there could be areas on the normal trails sabotaged as well (I noticed an out-of-place log in the middle of the normal XC trail too, but that was easy to hop over). For now I'd recommend caution on the downhill runs, in particular anything with a blind approach.

If I catch anyone doing this kind of crap out there, I'm gonna bitch-slap first and ask questions later. Well unless they're sporting a gun, which I've been seeing a lot of out there these days...
    I hope that/those knuckleheads find the trouble they are looking for rather than the trouble they are trying to cause. They could sure use some "re-direction".
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    I would bitch slap them too.

its not deadfall? somone dragged it over there?

looks like it was put there from the picture. jerks.

mtbr member
    the first photo you can see lines in the dirt from where someone dragged it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was definitely dragged there on purpose. It was easy to drag out of the way, but the point is if you dropped into the line from above you most likely wouldn't have seen this until you were in the air. Not good.

Went back out there today, trail was still clear (#2 DH was fine too). So, didn't get to bitch-slap anyone unfortunately.

So aside from the random trail sabotaging, conditions out there lately have been crappy... whoops I mean BRAAAP-Y!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Your video = BRAAAAAAP!!!

mtbr member
    Wow, somehow this made the local news (certainly not my intention)! If you want a laugh, head over to the story on KTVZ and read the comments:
    Popular mountain bike trail blocked by juniper tree - KTVZ

Pretty informative. Gee why didn't I think of just moving the tree out of the way and getting on with my ride?? Just when I thought people couldn't get more stupider...

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled braaaping. Nancy/Snowflake/Buttercup/Spandex Shredder/Total Millenial Pansy out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    jimW! Please text next time you are visiting family. I was skiing Bachy on Friday and Saturday, headed home Saturday night to escape the mank and enjoy warm weather in the park with our puppy.

I live in Eugene now. Ahem - short putt from the GOATs and we have a guest room. And a bike/splitski tuning area. Just saying!!!

sagebrush and sand
    Sorely disappointed there was no BRAAAAP footage with audio in that news clip.

How did they get ahold of the story anyhow? I assume you didn't contact them as one of those awesome commenters alluded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Wow, somehow this made the local news (certainly not my intention)! If you want a laugh, head over to the story on KTVZ and read the comments:
    Popular mountain bike trail blocked by juniper tree - KTVZ

Pretty informative. Gee why didn't I think of just moving the tree out of the way and getting on with my ride?? Just when I thought people couldn't get more stupider...

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled braaaping. Nancy/Snowflake/Buttercup/Spandex Shredder/Total Millenial Pansy out.
    Lol I saw that article the other day.

The comments are retarded.

Probably stupid kids did it? who knows.