Winter Tyre Combo for PDX winter contiditions- recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Winter Tyre Combo for PDX winter contiditions- recommendations?

Hi All, The stock Schwable Hans Dampf's Super Gravity tires I got with my Spartan are completely shredded from the summer/fall riding, ( side knobs literally hanging on by a thread front and back).

Have been looking at winter tyre options and wondered if anyone had recommendations for trail conditionals around PDX. Particularly Sandy Ridge, Browns Camp, Cold Creek, Syncline etc..

I've heard good things about the Maxxis Shorty but would love to know what other people are running front and back on 150-160mm 27.5 All mountain rigs this winter.

Thanks in advance.

Metalheadbikerider
    I have a Mach 6 and run a Spesh Butcher front and Spesh Purgatory rear now. I went through a pair of Hans Dampfs pretty quickly and probably won't buy another set. After a few rides I have been loving the Spesh tires.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Was running Maxxis High Roller IIs F/R and switched last month to Maxxis Minions, DHF front and DHR II rear. Big improvement in grip. I don't notice any increase in the rolling resistance.

Caveat - I'm not regularly riding the trails you mentioned, am south of you, riding a mix of wet/rooty fall-line trails or hard packed dirt flow trail that can be wet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Was running Maxxis High Roller IIs F/R and switched last month to Maxxis Minions, DHF front and DHR II rear. Big improvement in grip. I don't notice any increase in the rolling resistance.

Caveat - I'm not regularly riding the trails you mentioned, am south of you, riding a mix of wet/rooty fall-line trails or hard packed dirt flow trail that can be wet.
    Thanks for the tips so far, Ive heard good things about Minions, they look really heavy though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    schwalbe super gravity tires are the heaviest non dh tires on the market, so you don't need to worry about adding weight with Maxxis. The best tire on the maker for a grip and control is the magic Mary. I've used the super gravity and snakeskin versions. The super gravity is overkill, but I've never had a single puncture. For winter, I'd run a high roller or dhr II in the rear with a magic Mary front. The MM won't shed knobs like the HD either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks sounds like a good combo!

For the DHR do you recommend the 3C version or is that overkill?

I'm assuming trailstar for the MM?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't think the 3C is necessary, but I usually get it anyway. Yes on trailstar. Vertstar has mega grip, but way slower and less durable.

Another underrated winter tire is the conti baron