What GPS do you use?- Mtbr.com
    Metalheadbikerider

What GPS do you use?

I am thinking about grabbing a new Garmin Edge 530 for trail and gravel riding in new locations (and some road, too). I have an older Iphone and would prefer to not use it for wayfinding. Anything I should be considering?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Wahoo Elemnt is low frills but has been solid. I'm actually looking at one of the watches - garmin fenix 6 series to have maps too. The new suunto 7 looks cool, once those features get into a more feature rich model (e.g. ability to pair with external sensors (esp heart rate), saphire crystal lens, etc.)...the background heat map is pretty slick.

...and per MTBR etiquette, your title needs to be something like, "What GPS do you use in oregon?" (if you're familiar with the NORCAL board, you know...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the Garmin Edge 1000. I wanted it for mapping and navigation so opted for the larger screen. Have put some topo basemaps on it as well as trailforks basemap. Pretty nice when riding someplace new to have all that info right in front of you and easy to see while riding.

At the time I bought it the lower end ones didn't have much for a visable screen for mapping.

Too Much Fun
    Garmin Fenix 6X watch.

Amazing. Love it. Use it for everything.
    - -benja- -

Out spokin'
    I use a Garmin 520 but only for the sake of recording my ride data and/or seeing said data in real time during rides. For maps I typically use TrailForks, occasionally Avenza Maps &/or paper maps.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I use the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I'm super happy with it and I'd buy it again if I ever need to. I've had it since August of 2017.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I am thinking about grabbing a new Garmin Edge 530 for trail and gravel riding in new locations (and some road, too). I have an older Iphone and would prefer to not use it for wayfinding. Anything I should be considering?
    Edge 830 and Strava.
    If your eyes aren't great the map won't be very useful.
    It's easy for the Garmin to think you're lost if you are trying to follow a route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ancient 500, used for real time distance, time and elevation, but it's useless for wayfinding.

My wife has a 1030 (?) and uses it for everything, including mapping, and loves it.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    I've been using the Edge 530 since June. It's good for a lot of things but some of the features are either silly (grit and flow pseudo metrics) or completely useless (Trail Forks route planning).

The good: For regular daily use it does the core features perfectly. Connections to HR monitors, power meters, etc always work. It finds satellites fast and keeps a lock on them. Battery life is outstanding in battery save mode. It almost always connects to my unruly 1st gen Kickr and sets the resistance (that thing rarely works with any other device). I've even found the weather alerts handy--red flag warnings in the summer in Bend are nice to know about and it even notified me of a storm in NZ I was unaware of a few weeks ago.

The bad. Like many other Garmins, the special features are often complete shit. I tried route planning once in NM and it took me through private no trespassing property. Courses and Strava segments saved on the unit constantly cause problems like kicking it out of battery save mode and completely freezing the unit. For that reason I use a second GPS (eTrex 30x) for navigating the unfamiliar adventures and bikepacking.

The annoying: Menus are not always intuitive. There are times when processing power isn't good enough and button presses are delayed for a few seconds then it catches up and recognizes all of the button presses in a split second.

I noted a few other things over in https://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc...c-1103827.html

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I use a Garmin 520 but only for the sake of recording my ride data and/or seeing said data in real time during rides. For maps I typically use TrailForks, occasionally Avenza Maps &/or paper maps.
    =sParty
    I searched Google Play but could not find an App called "paper maps" is that just an iphone thingy?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl View Post
    I searched Google Play but could not find an App called "paper maps" is that just an iphone thingy?
    Paper maps are as good as paper roses. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Paper maps are as good as paper roses. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
    =sParty
    Paper maps are beautiful.

mtbr member
    Love real paper maps, but not for biking. FWIW, Natgeo maps are the best and usually cover something for ALL users from hunters to hikers to bikers.

I have a couple of GPS'. My go to is a Fenix 5x sapphire. It's on my wrist all the time. I also have a GPSMap 66 of some sort. Too big for riding unless it's in a pack, but that kind of defeats the purpose. Great for hiking/hunting though.