Triple hobo stove in action- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Triple hobo stove in action

Three cans held together with spokes, works better than my old stoves. Taller chimney creates a nice draft. I made a fire pan to help it breath better. I made it free standing with a grill on top.

It burns smokeless and hot. The open front radiates a lot of heat back to you. The rocks got hot enough to hold heat for hours. I burns wood completely and leaves little ash.

I cooked some meat sacks and took these pics. I was raining the whole time. I don't ever have campfires anymore. Hobo stoves work better.

Pics..........

1. Brand new hobo stove. I just cut open the cans and spread them open a little. A few bike spokes hold it all together.

2. I use a small piece of lint/parafin to start my fires.

3. The fire starter ignites fairly large peices of wood with ease, it burns a long time with a large flame.

4. Meat sacks with spokes through them so they dont move while cooking.

5. Crankin out the BTU's, just drop a stick in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lef-t; 10-03-2008 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

The wood burns completely

Pics.........

1. Embers still very hot, the can burns wood completely

2. Very little ash left, I used a screw driver to poke all those holes.

3. The self standing base with bottom and fire pan.

4. The bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks like your getting stove building down, but it begs the question, how big you gonna go? and does it take a B.O.B to transport?

I like the idea of a single can Hobo stove, just cause it's traditional and it's what most Hobo's use. Your tri-stack is getting pretty up-town, but then you could probably trade it for a half bottle of Thunderbird.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

you can't waste beer

Here's the one I use http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/pennywood.html and his alcohol stove is very cool especially if you carry drinkable alcohol. I had a hard time getting enough of that beer drank to get the cans, stuff gave me the shights. Almost cried when I messed one can up knowing I would have to drink another one of those beers Still have some of those I just havent yet been able to bring myself to drink and I was raised not to waste beer. Maybe I'll bring some to B.C. somebody must like the stuff, I just want the cans.
    ken

mtbr member
    May 2004

I started with 30 gallon garbage cans.

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Looks like your getting stove building down, but it begs the question, how big you gonna go? and does it take a B.O.B to transport?

I like the idea of a single can Hobo stove, just cause it's traditional and it's what most Hobo's use. Your tri-stack is getting pretty up-town, but then you could probably trade it for a half bottle of Thunderbird.
    My first stoves were all in garbage cans. I didn't think smaller would work but I was wrong. I still carry the small one can design for far from help rides like Tire mountain in the rain.

This one is a proto type, I probably wont break it down but it would be easy to make a double or triple that nests into one can for transport. It's very light and small when nested together. I like to build them and hide them in my favorite places or carry one in the truck with dry wood and fire starter.

They make nice x-mas gifts at company parties, I've given one away the last two years at Pauls x mas party, they are always happy to have one. I would gladly trade one for booze and make a hobo's life better.

I'ld like to open a hobo stove retail store. I would sell tarps, fixies and hobo stoves. Everything can be lashed on to your bike with old road bike tubes. Nothing fancy just crap that works.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I like a big fire and lots of heat

Quote Originally Posted by tool addict
    Here's the one I use http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/pennywood.html and his alcohol stove is very cool especially if you carry drinkable alcohol. I had a hard time getting enough of that beer drank to get the cans, stuff gave me the shights. Almost cried when I messed one can up knowing I would have to drink another one of those beers Still have some of those I just havent yet been able to bring myself to drink and I was raised not to waste beer. Maybe I'll bring some to B.C. somebody must like the stuff, I just want the cans.
    ken
    My stove will heat you up quick, the opening up the front kicks out a lot of heat back to you. I can dry my wet clothes just by sitting in front of it. A big fire is nice when it's cold and wet. I can melt enormous amounts of snow. It can heat up large rocks for heat after the fire is out. I can pre dry wet wood before burning it by placing near or on top of the can. I never run out of fuel in Oregon. I originally built it to help maintain a fire with very wet wood. We have lots of that this time of year. Good fire starter like my parafin/lint is key to getting it going without much skill.

mtbr member
    Wow, the designs keep getting better and more clever.

mtbr member
    "I'd like to open a hobo stove retail store. I would sell tarps, fixies and hobo stoves. Everything can be lashed on to your bike with old road bike tubes. Nothing fancy just crap that works."

Why not set yourself up at at the local mission/shelter and give out stoves n stuff to the homeless or show them how to make them.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    Nothing fancy just crap that works.
    I'm going to pencil you in for President come Nov.

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tool addict
    Here's the one I use https://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/pennywood.html and his alcohol stove is very cool especially if you carry drinkable alcohol. I had a hard time getting enough of that beer drank to get the cans, stuff gave me the shights. Almost cried when I messed one can up knowing I would have to drink another one of those beers Still have some of those I just havent yet been able to bring myself to drink and I was raised not to waste beer. Maybe I'll bring some to B.C. somebody must like the stuff, I just want the cans.
    ken
    There's plenty of good beer in a can. One of my favorite beers, canned, bottled or on draft:

Caldera Brewing
    I'll probably have a bunch at BC.

For more suggestions, try here:https://forums.mtbr.com/beer-forum/best-beer-can-445972.html

mtbr member
    May 2004

I would have to change the name.

"I'd like to open a hobo stove retail store. I would sell tarps, fixies and hobo stoves. Everything can be lashed on to your bike with old road bike tubes. Nothing fancy just crap that works."

Why not set yourself up at at the local mission/shelter and give out stoves n stuff to the homeless or show them how to make them.
    Hobo is not politically correct. I could sell them at the bike shop for $9.99. Extra for butted spokes. Add $5 labor and I'll install one on your bike with recycled road tube lashings.

All the homeless dudes I've talked to know all about can stoves. I've never seen one in use though. Just campfires.

Nov 2008

Smile for the home less and less fortunate,,,

the hobo stoves wor great for every thing I use mine to heat my wife and my tent in thwe winter I have had no problems with it i use buddy burners to burn in it and rooled up news papers for home made logs

Members who have read this thread: 0