Trans Cascadia anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Trans Cascadia anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=d-qxwpepJqA

I see registration opens tomorrow.
    Anyone here going?

Trans-Cascadia | PNW Backcountry Mountain Bike Race & Non-profit Trail Advocacy

Thoughts about it...(beyond cost)?

Just wondering.

mtbr member
    It seems like a great time, but I donít race. Iím seriously considering their excursions (guided rides / weekends) when they reopen.

Some of the stages from 2018 would have wrecked me, based on the numbers (elevation, miles).

Overall the organization has done a lot for reopening old / lost / forgotten trails around Oregon, and that makes me happy, even if I havenít gotten to ride many or most of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    tbmaddux~

Yeah I was wondering that, where did you find the daily mileage and elevation totals?
    And yeah not much of a racer anymore myself, never have even done an "Enduro race" even,
    but damn as far as an experience goes I would love to "try" and survive 5 days of rad riding.
    We'll see though.

Have you done Pyramids yet? I wanna get that done this next year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Find one of the pro's that was in last year's race and check their strava for Sep 27-30. Most days appear to be 6-8k footies of climbing. 4 days in a row. Pretty serious vert.

mtbr member
    They'd post the numbers in the ride videos and on daily reports. For example, day 1, they say: "Racers began heading out on course at 7 am. Following a flowy section of trail along the river, they pedaled through a stunning old growth forest before beginning a 30-mile climb with a 7,000-foot elevation gain. Roughly an hour-and-a-half up racers hit the peak and the start of Stage 1."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/2018-t...ever-been.html

Here's a link to the overall route. Close to 30mi and 10,000ft of climbing.
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/201...ascadia-day-1/

EDIT - I haven't done Pyramids / Old Cascade Crest and it's definitely on my radar. So is the O'Leary / Castle Rock / King-Castle shuttle, which I've been shut out of two years running due to fires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Damn. That's some BIG days. Consecutive also. Ouch.
    Sheesh.
    Combined that w/ the sleeping on the ground, late nights, booze, and being over 40years old.
    Seems like that event could be tougher than it sounds, and it sounds TOUGH.

tbmaddux: I did the whole O'learly/kings castle Loop last year.
    Couldn't get the Horse Creek to shuttle me due to it being mid week and no other riders.
    So I did it solo.
    It was HOT, and smoky.
    Bring a water filter. I ran out.
    A bit spooky out there solo though. No Cell and no help should anything go wrong.
    Wife and kiddo were back at camp and starting to worry. Don't do what I did.
    Great ride though.

Hummmm Trans-Cascadia?
    Last edited by veeco; 02-01-2019 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veeco View Post
    Damn. That's some BIG days. Consecutive also. Ouch.
    Sheesh.
    Combined that w/ the sleeping on the ground, late nights, booze, and being over 40years old.
    Seems like that event could be tougher than it sounds, and it sounds TOUGH.

tbmaddux: I did the whole O'learly/kings castle Loop last year.
    Couldn't get the Horse Creek to shuttle me due to it being mid week and no other riders.
    So I did it solo.
    It was HOT, and smoky.
    Bring a water filter. I ran out.
    A bit spooky out there solo though. No Cell and no help should anything go wrong.
    Wife and kiddo were back at camp and starting to worry. Do do what I did.
    Great ride though.

Hummmm Trans-Cascadia?
    I did Oleary loop solo once back before it started going bonkers and getting all the work done. Went CCW which was terrible. I almost died. I chose poorly.

I volunteer with Trans Cascadia mostly on trail stuff and it's a blast for me. Long hard days, and fun time around the fire. Good group of people. I didn't make this last race (as a volunteer) but that is even more of a hoot.

There are all KINDS of people in the race and I would not worry about being over 40. It's all super chill.

mtbr member
    Get a map and go camping!!! I've been riding the trails that were included in the 2018 race for 20 years, they are amazing, and I'm sure they're even better now with the work that was done.

While you're at it, check out the trails to the south in the Dark Divide.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Registration sold out (100 riders) in 2 days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    anybody have any clues if it's going to be in Wa. again or Oregon this year?

i know that they like to keep that tight to themselves
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post

Overall the organization has done a lot for reopening old / lost / forgotten trails around Oregon, and that makes me happy,
    Ditto that.
    I'vd ridden most of the courses they've used. Goat Creek/Tumwater was my favorite with the Pyramid stuff probably my least favorite. With that I'd like to do the Pyramid shuttle day they put on.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    anybody have any clues if it's going to be in Wa. again or Oregon this year?

i know that they like to keep that tight to themselves
    My guess is the trails to the south in the Dark Divide. They're rowdy and could definitely use some attention.

There is easily a 100+ miles of trail in the Dark Divide, some trails are still maintained by the moto groups, but there are some that have been forgotten. Seems perfect for the Trans Cascadia format.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    My guess is the trails to the south in the Dark Divide. They're rowdy and could definitely use some attention.

There is easily a 100+ miles of trail in the Dark Divide, some trails are still maintained by the moto groups, but there are some that have been forgotten. Seems perfect for the Trans Cascadia format.
    probably a good guess. Washington most definitely has a whole lot more backcountry to qualify for Trans Cascadia to do their thing with.

in your twenty years of being in the Goat Mtn. trail system, did you ever ride Tumwater? both ways? that's the one trail in that complex i haven't seen any of. on the list for this summer
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    probably a good guess. Washington most definitely has a whole lot more backcountry to qualify for Trans Cascadia to do their thing with.
    I wonder how much lost or unmaintained trails are out there to sustain the Trans Cascadia format? With the exception of a failed attempt to ride the Old Cascade Crest Trail years ago, some of what they used in the Oregon races was new to me.

in your twenty years of being in the Goat Mtn. trail system, did you ever ride Tumwater? both ways? that's the one trail in that complex i haven't seen any of. on the list for this summer
    I've done this as a lolliloop. If I remember correct...Up Goat Mt - Down and around on Tumwater Mt - Up to Vanson Peak - Return on Goat Mt. Something like 30ish miles and 7000' of climbing. I'd need to look at a map to confirm this.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 02-11-2019 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Oregon was mostly existing trails that were already adopted and being ridden and maintained. Grasshopper/Chucksney was reopened and scratched back into existence pretty much from nothing. The OíLeary grand reopening was kicked off by a big push to get it ready to race Ė work on that trail network goes way back into early days of this forum. The third one was reopening the Old Cascade Crest system. The rest of it was a lot of things on and around the Middle Fork Ranger District of the Willamette NF.

Thereís still hundreds of miles of ďtrailĒ out there on maps that could get opened back up, and Oregon Timber Trail for example is working on fundraising for new connectors.

So... where will they race... If you watch their videos you can see they talk about starting around Oakridge so they could figure out how to run the race and logistics and all that, before moving north to where theyíd always wanted to do something. Assuming that was the truth then my bet is theyíll stay north of the Columbia. Or maybe theyíll get mobile enough to move all over OR / WA?

If you watch their build days and photos you can usually figure out the region. St. Helens was featured rather prominently in pictures last year...
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 02-11-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added some links

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My intel tells me it's back to the Gifford Pinchot for round #2.
    So much good stuff up there yet still to explore.

So I guess I gotta start "training" my legs, lungs, and my liver now.
    I suspect it's gonna hurt,
    hurt real good.
    Last edited by veeco; 02-11-2019 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Grasshopper went back to bunchgrass pretty quick. Maybe they can hold another stage there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Grasshopper went back to bunchgrass pretty quick. Maybe they can hold another stage there.
    I was wondering if this would be the case. I did hear there is a new Evergreen chapter working in the Goat Mt/White Pass area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    . I did hear there is a new Evergreen chapter working in the Goat Mt/White Pass area.
    Read the same on the WA forums and that's really cool. That's becoming my favorite zone. Found myself heading up there for wknds rather than points south from town all last summer/fall. Wonder how hard it is for a tradesman to eek out a living in Morton.

mtbr member
    Read the same on the WA forums and that's really cool. That's becoming my favorite zone. Found myself heading up there for wknds rather than points south from town all last summer/fall. Wonder how hard it is for a tradesman to eek out a living in Morton.
    Morton has 2 lumber mills, a medical waste disposal company and a Ford dealership. There is another lumber mill up the road in Randell. I'm usually at the mills in Morton and Randell every 2-3 weeks. Doesn't seem like there is much else in town, unless you work in a dinner or bar, or the school system. Morton doesn't seem like a bad little town though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I raced it last year and had a amazing time!! It was mindblowing. Big days for sure, but I didn't find any of too bad, but I do train consistently year around. I think just time on the bike is key....that and not rallying to hard at night, which is easy to do.

Look after yourself in the evenings, get hydrated before you plow into the kegs and relax a bit. I rode at the front of the group, I was first back to camp most the days so rode the virgin trails a number of times which is good and bad...but I did get back early so got a shower and settled in a bit.

The cost is nothing, trust me, when your done it will be $$ well spent, I have not heard a single person say otherwise....

Ride conservative, 140/160 bike minimum, tough aggressive tires and big brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    I raced it last year and had a amazing time!! It was mindblowing. Big days for sure, but I didn't find any of too bad, but I do train consistently year around. I think just time on the bike is key....that and not rallying to hard at night, which is easy to do.

Look after yourself in the evenings, get hydrated before you plow into the kegs and relax a bit. I rode at the front of the group, I was first back to camp most the days so rode the virgin trails a number of times which is good and bad...but I did get back early so got a shower and settled in a bit.

The cost is nothing, trust me, when your done it will be $$ well spent, I have not heard a single person say otherwise....

Ride conservative, 140/160 bike minimum, tough aggressive tires and big brakes.

Thanks for the words of wisdom ArizRider, I appreciate it.
    It's been a tough winter for me, so I partially signed up for this "experience" for something to look forward to...something to focus on, to work towards.
    Luckily I live in an area that allows me to pedal out the back door and get some "training" rides in so that's a huge motivator and plus.
    I have no illusions of grandeur, just want to finish the experience as a better rider, and enjoy some trails and laughs w/ friends.
    But damn last year's day 1 looked tough.....32miles, 6.5hrs in the saddle, 8400ft gain.
    I got's some work to do.
    Still amazed my wife supported this quest of mine. its a huge ask on my part, esp seeing as we have a 3 year old.
    I am a lucky lucky man. and I know it.

mtbr member
    I got's some work to do.
    CPR might be a good training ride for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    CPR might be a good training ride for you.
    Is that that Mac ride when they try and ride ALL the trails in a day?
    or another one.

maybe PM me the details if you can. Thanks man.

We should pedal soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    At first, I read that as, "CPR might be good training for you."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    At first, I read that as, "CPR might be good training for you."
    yeah, no doubt I'll be needing some CPR at some point during race week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the words of wisdom ArizRider, I appreciate it.
    It's been a tough winter for me, so I partially signed up for this "experience" for something to look forward to...something to focus on, to work towards.
    Luckily I live in an area that allows me to pedal out the back door and get some "training" rides in so that's a huge motivator and plus.
    I have no illusions of grandeur, just want to finish the experience as a better rider, and enjoy some trails and laughs w/ friends.
    But damn last year's day 1 looked tough.....32miles, 6.5hrs in the saddle, 8400ft gain.
    I got's some work to do.
    Still amazed my wife supported this quest of mine. its a huge ask on my part, esp seeing as we have a 3 year old.
    I am a lucky lucky man. and I know it.
    You are in for a treat. I found the first day to be harder than the last personally, I think it was right around 8k and 30ish miles too. The last day had quite a bit of elevation but it was fire road climbing and/or pushing, lots of pushing. You gotta be in shape, no doubt, just as much general fitness as bike specific fitness.

Where are you located? I'm actually in the Portland metro area....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Speaking as someone who has volunteered at the race and build parties in the past....helping out at the build parties can be quite insightful around race location and trails.

Just a thought....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyNate View Post
    Speaking as someone who has volunteered at the race and build parties in the past....helping out at the build parties can be quite insightful around race location and trails.

Just a thought....
    Yep....even prior to signing up for the BIG SHOW I had already signed up for the July build party.
    pretty excited for both really.

Thanks for the heads up on that though.

mtbr member
    It seems like a great time, but I donít race. Iím seriously considering their excursions (guided rides / weekends) when they reopen.
    So I went poking around today and they have a bunch of rides opened up on their calendar. Both single day and multiday excursions. Iím signed up for Mt Adams around Labor Day and will grab a spot tomorrow for an Old Cascade Crest + OíLeary & Castle Rock & King-Castle weekend in June.

mtbr member
    speaking of TC, there's a work party this weekend on the middle fork with TC probviding the meals. They are needing sawyers especially. Lots of big complex wood.

https://www.facebook.com/events/805875643119082/

mtbr member
    Trans Cascadia anyone?-46541a44-2174-41e0-a610-9d5bcb184029.jpg

will grab a spot tomorrow for an Old Cascade Crest + OíLeary & Castle Rock & King-Castle weekend in June.
    We (veeco and I) rode Old Cascade Crest on Saturday with 10 other riders and 3 guides from Trans-Cascadia Excursions, a spin-off of the race entity that by all appearances will be back in the G-P in WA this year.

The second day (OíLeary & Castle Rock & King-Castle) was cancelled due to insufficient signups.

We were shuttled to a horrible hike up the back (south) side of N Pyramid and then descended the front (north) side, which was insanely great. We then shuttled up to cut off a significant chunk of the climb up to Scar Mtn. From there we were chased off the peak by impending doom of thunder and lightning and rain from the south, as we rode down Scar then Gordan then Chimney and a bit of climbing out on South Pyramid to finish the day.

The hike a bike hurt, a lot, and I did just a short ride today. Iím not sure if I can pull off three days in a row of this in September on the Mt. Adams excursion. The descents were some of the most fun Iíve ever encountered and the scenery was unparalleled on this side of the Cascades. Some of it was soft organics the like of which Iíve only seen at the very top of Middle Fork trail near Timpanogas, like riding on birthday cake. Others were like the best parts of descending Twins, only more lush and green and longer, so much longer.

We lucked out with the weather... essentially missed a huge thunderstorm by minutes and pedaled or shuttles around it. We also lucked out with the beargrass, which was punching us in the face constantly with massive fragrant blooms.

The guides (Sage, Paul, Marissa) were fantastic. Even the van was pretty sweet, probably the cleanest and best handling shuttle van Iíve been in.

A trip for the ages.

Out spokin'
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46541A44-2174-41E0-A610-9D5BCB184029.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	1261445

We (veeco and I) rode Old Cascade Crest on Saturday with 10 other riders and 3 guides from Trans-Cascadia Excursions, a spin-off of the race entity that by all appearances will be back in the G-P in WA this year.

The second day (OíLeary & Castle Rock & King-Castle) was cancelled due to insufficient signups.

We were shuttled to a horrible hike up the back (south) side of N Pyramid and then descended the front (north) side, which was insanely great. We then shuttled up to cut off a significant chunk of the climb up to Scar Mtn. From there we were chased off the peak by impending doom of thunder and lightning and rain from the south, as we rode down Scar then Gordan then Chimney and a bit of climbing out on South Pyramid to finish the day.

The hike a bike hurt, a lot, and I did just a short ride today. Iím not sure if I can pull off three days in a row of this in September on the Mt. Adams excursion. The descents were some of the most fun Iíve ever encountered and the scenery was unparalleled on this side of the Cascades. Some of it was soft organics the like of which Iíve only seen at the very top of Middle Fork trail near Timpanogas, like riding on birthday cake. Others were like the best parts of descending Twins, only more lush and green and longer, so much longer.

We lucked out with the weather... essentially missed a huge thunderstorm by minutes and pedaled or shuttles around it. We also lucked out with the beargrass, which was punching us in the face constantly with massive fragrant blooms.

The guides (Sage, Paul, Marissa) were fantastic. Even the van was pretty sweet, probably the cleanest and best handling shuttle van Iíve been in.

A trip for the ages.
    Cool. I gotta get up there. Sounds like shuttling is ideal?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    What we did was climb up one big mountain and drop off the other side, and then we did it again. So the shuttle was more of a logistical thing. Looking back on the map now I can mostly understand where we were. The maps online at least are a bit incomplete, which matches what Iíve read from the Dirt Magnet. Especially when it comes to the roads.

Anyway, there are chunks that could be torn off as an out-and-back. What we did was about 2/3rd of a massive loop around the whole thing, cutting off as much of the climbs as could be done.

And then thereís Crescent to expand the loop... Browder and Gate to the south...

Out spokin'
    What we did was climb up one big mountain and drop off the other side, and then we did it again. So the shuttle was more of a logistical thing. Looking back on the map now I can mostly understand where we were. The maps online at least are a bit incomplete, which matches what Iíve read from the Dirt Magnet. Especially when it comes to the roads.

Anyway, there are chunks that could be torn off as an out-and-back. What we did was about 2/3rd of a massive loop around the whole thing, cutting off as much of the climbs as could be done.

And then thereís Crescent to expand the loop... Browder and Gate to the south...
    Wanna share links to your GPS tracks?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Up and over North Pyramid. We caught Derrick and Wade at the top heading the opposite direction, because of course thatís where theyíd be.

Up Scar then down Scar, Gordan, and Chimney. Ran into some friends from Team Dirt (Pat and Zach) out doing the Gambler 500 as we started the ride, because of course you randomly find friends a hundred miles from anywhere deep in the woods doing different activities all the time. There was also a group rallying a heavily-modded beater Volvo through the quarry at the start of this segment.

Trailforks ridelog links, you can scroll down to download GPX or KML from there as well as bounce over to Strava. If those donít work I can send you the permalinks from my app (Cyclemeter by Abvio) or dump files to you in an email.

mtbr member
    "like riding on a piece of birthday cake"
    That is great👍

mtbr member
    Speaking of Timpanogas, does anybody know if the descent down the Middle Fork is good to go?

I also saw the gambler 500 guys all over the place this wknd. Looks like they were having a blast, might need to get in one of those rat rods next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting. I was talking to a guy last year at the trailhead of South Pyramid that did a clockwise shuttle that was real similar to what you did except obviously going left once you leave the lollipop stick that is south pyramid trail. Think both directions are probably pretty fun. Is the north pyramid trail open to biking now? Or were you supposed to downclimb that part?

To answer Sparti, shuttling seems less than ideal to me. If you don't have a driver it is a giant pain to recover vehicles. I am sure some segments are more doable but that first one where you climb up and over Pyramid would be a giant pain to set up and retrieve on.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Timpanogas, does anybody know if the descent down the Middle Fork is good to go?
    Don't know.

MBO will be riding it in a few weeks, though, so it should be open by then. Cog Wild is hosting a 3-day campout up there (Sawtooth Struggle, full Middle Fork, Moon Point) same weekend, which seems early to me, it's usually quite buggy in July. Trans-Cascadia Excursions will also be doing a pair of single-day expeditions including a day around Timpanogas (Sawtooth, upper Middle Fork) mid-August, after which Cog Wild returns in late August.

Quote Originally Posted by TR Chensley View Post
    Is the north pyramid trail open to biking now? Or were you supposed to downclimb that part?
    We started at the three-way intersection of Crescent and two legs of South Pyramid and went counter-clockwise. So we went up Pyramids Trail to the summit and then headed north on North Pyramid Trail to where it ended at Scar Mountain. Riding down Pyramids (southward) is beyond my comfort zone.

There's no signs saying it's closed, and Trailforks shows it as open. BendTrails says it's closed to bikes. USFS has nothing on their website saying bikes are allowed anywhere at all, but they'd have to be for T-C to even operate in the region. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I wouldn't want to self-shuttle this. The logistics are vast. Especially for the first leg. Scar Mountain Road punches into the internals of the big loop and a few gravel roads off the side of it were pretty key to our second leg.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Talk to Charlie in regards to riding the loop.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Voice-over Trail Reviews has a video up of the ride from Saturday. Keep an eye out for the gun dogs hiding behind the grass bears.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 07-03-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated link to full video

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I hope you used the opportunity to give Sage a pro callout and explain to him that youíre such a cooler skier than he is.

You should look up some of his segments from Teton Gravity Research films!

mtbr member
    Trans Cascadia anyone?-img_0513.jpg

Just got home from another glorious weekend with Trans-Cascadia Excursions, this time two single-day trips back-to-back in what they call the "Oakridge backcountry".

Since I last swung through Oakridge (in June, to ride ATCA), they have significantly cleaned up the old log scale shack (known to locals and old-time Cascade Creampuff riders as the "Shiggy Shack") that they're renting out, right across the street from the Westfir Lodge and red covered bridge. New signage and a massive picnic table out front from reclaimed lumber from a retrofit of that old bridge some years ago. They are also running daily shuttles in Oakridge in addition to the prepaid guided events.

Saturday was a wet day but super fun. We started with a shuttle up to Lawler. Wet and splashy at the top but not muddy. Slick in some of the steep switchbacks down lower, especially the root waterfall one that ends in a left hand turn that put me down on my side. I didn't walk it though, I just slid down, so that still counts as riding it! The steeps of Eula turned out to be a lot more scary in the wet because of the roots, but it was still a blast. We finished off with a run of Alpine, with half the group cutting in at Jedi and the other half at Kate's. Ended the day with a garden hose then a shower then fish&chips&beer at the Union. Crashed overnight at the Westfir Lodge.

Breakfast and coffee Sunday at the lodge, then a big shuttle up to Timpanogas. About half of our group from Saturday was there for Sunday. From Timpanogas we did an out and back on Indigo then right down upper Middle Fork to the first paved road landing. Best descent of the day. Big transfer in the van over to Moon Point, which was so awesome especially into the burned sections. Finished the weekend with a banger drop down Larison Rock. Devoured a steak and fries and salad and a couple beers at the Hilltop on my way home. Kudos to Laekon for recommending that to me earlier this year. It wasn't easy to spot but I had the foresight to dial it into my phone before I left.

Overall 44 miles, 2700ft climbed and 17000ft descended. Lots of wrecks in the group (I mainly fell over when I failed to complete switchbacks) but nobody hurt and no significant mechanicals.

Next big ride will be in the G-P somewhere for 3 days...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Great Write up!

Just wanna give a bump to transcascadia! Their stepping in and stepping it up to offer more trips in Oakridge.

Mountain Bike Shuttles in Oregon and Washington

It's pretty awesome to see them investing in Oakridge and bringing people to town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Next big ride will be in the G-P somewhere for 3 days...
    YEA.

They did a strawberry ridge and i think juniper/tounge shuttle weekend a few weeks ago. Less posh and more about shred for these ones i think. The really deep backcountry of the giff is amazing. Been out there 5 weekends in a row

mtbr member
    How were the skeeters up at Timpanogas?
    They're usually terrible right around Indigo lake.
    Planning on doing exactly that ride labor wknd but riding out 10 or so miles more on Middle Fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    YEA.

They did a strawberry ridge and i think juniper/tounge shuttle weekend a few weeks ago. Less posh and more about shred for these ones i think. The really deep backcountry of the giff is amazing. Been out there 5 weekends in a row
    Is Juniper as moto'd up as Tongue?

mtbr member
    How were the skeeters up at Timpanogas?
    They're usually terrible right around Indigo lake.
    Planning on doing exactly that ride labor wknd but riding out 10 or so miles more on Middle Fork
    Mosquitoes were abundant in both locations, but not swarming and aggressive. Should be fine by Labor Day weekend if you're just riding. I'm not sure how it would be for someone sitting at a campsite when they have plenty of time to wander over to you. A bunch of riders got nailed; I had preloaded my ride gear with permethrin beforehand and then sprayed myself with non-DEET (it eats gear you want to wear while riding) bug spray before we got in the van, so I only got bit once on the back of my calf.

We covered about 6 miles on the Middle Fork trail, stopping at the NF-2153 road crossing above the drop into the burned canyon section rolling down to Paddys Valley. Sounds like you're planning to get as far as Chuckle Springs or maybe Indigo?
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 08-13-2019 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is Juniper as moto'd up as Tongue?
    yea. I think the only few that are going to be non motoed are strawberry and goat.

mtbr member

We covered about 6 miles on the Middle Fork trail, stopping at the NF-2153 road crossing above the drop into the burned canyon section rolling down to Paddys Valley. Sounds like you're planning to get as far as Chuckle Springs or maybe Indigo?
    We rode it out to a spot we were camped on the Middle Fork, about a mile past Indigo Springs CG. Pretty cool riding right into camp beers, the perfect amount of riding after a couple other backcountry rides starting Friday with The Twins. No mosquitoes but the biting nats were bad in the AM on the Middle Fork.

The burned section through & past Chuckle Springs is just incredibly beautiful. I had ridden that section once before about 8 or 9 years ago but don't remember it being that good. I'm sure all the trail work helped the fun factor quite a bit.

Came within about 5 feet of a large black bear (for PNW) right before the bridge crossing on the Timpanogas side of 2153. Thing took off like I've never seen, breaking branches crashing about through the woods. We saw a black bear last time we rode it further up on the descent and can't help but wonder if it was the same one. Anyway, that got the adrenaline flowing.

Lots of people up at Timpanogas, way way more than I've ever seen, but just 2 hikers on the way up to Sawtooth. The Middle Fork is the coldest damn water in Oregon, colder than The Blue Pool, colder than the spring feeding Clear lake. Damn cold!

mtbr member
    Never been in the Middle Fork up high. I did almost fall in one of the creeks once that had that twisted dying bridge across it.

Itís pretty nice when you get down to Sand Prairie at the top of Hills Creek Reservoir. Itís deadly cold when coming out of the reservoir and stays that way past Greenwaters Park, though.

mtbr member
    Just spotted that Trans-Cascadia has started up the $10 for Trails fundraiser for 2019. Money goes towards expanding and maintaining trails in the Cascades. They've done work all over the Willamette and Gifford-Pinchot National Forests over the past several years, including reopening some huge rides for the first time in decades (Grasshopper, Old Cascades Crest, O'Leary, just to name a few that I know personally here in Oregon). Plus, you know, you could win a Santa Cruz Megatower.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    From Timpanogas we did an out and back on Indigo then right down upper Middle Fork to the first paved road landing. Best descent of the day.
    Hey did they say that Indigo is more fun of a descent than Sawtooth? I'm thinking for my first trip out there next fall I'll climb Sawtooth, connect to Windy Pass then drop Indigo Lake back down to Middle Fork. If lucky a self shuttle for the top 10 or so miles of Middle Fork. Thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    The DoD does something like that every year called the Sawtooth Struggle, which includes a couple ditch-the-bikes and hike to Cowhorn and the peak of Sawtooth.

Early years of Trans-Cascadia they would do a stage descending each way off Sawtooth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hey did they say that Indigo is more fun of a descent than Sawtooth? I'm thinking for my first trip out there next fall I'll climb Sawtooth, connect to Windy Pass then drop Indigo Lake back down to Middle Fork. If lucky a self shuttle for the top 10 or so miles of Middle Fork. Thoughts anyone?
    That's the way to do it imo. Having ridden at least 3 variations of the loop I think the biggest bang for buck is simply out and backing to the boulder field just below windy pass. Save your legs for more Middle Fork. The section from the road through Indigo Springs is incredible.

mtbr member
    So after seeing the video of this year's race, I decided that I absolutely had to do it next year. After looking around a little on their site, I am thinking that doing an excursion may be better seeing as I would be coming from AZ and jumping into a race format probably won't be quite as enjoyable.

Can you local guys recommend one of the excursions if you had to pick one? They all look pretty epic and I have no idea which one I should do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    Can you local guys recommend one of the excursions if you had to pick one? They all look pretty epic and I have no idea which one I should do.
    I bet we can. Give us a bit of your backstory.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I bet we can. Give us a bit of your backstory.
    Touche'. I love big descents and I am not afraid to pedal to get there. Definitely looking for the the more advanced aggressive package.

I have a little work to do to get to where I can confidently do 3 big days in row but I have been working on that anyway.

mtbr member
    Can you local guys recommend one of the excursions if you had to pick one?
    First of all, I'm not sure they'll follow the same format next year as they did this year; Nick and his crew are figuring it out as they go. Keep an eye on the Trans-Cascadia Excursions website for when the new events pop up. They went live in April for the 2019 season. Also, there were some that were instantly "sold out" Ė those were actually private events and never really open signups, so don't be dismayed by that.

I was not able to do a 3-day this year, because the Mt. Adams 3-day didn't have enough signups. I'll sign up again next year. My basis for choosing it over Mt. St. Helens was simple Ė I looked at the pictures and liked the Adams ones more.

Of the single days I did 2 "Oakridge back country" in a single weekend, and a separate single-day on a different weekend in the Old Cascades Crest. Trans-Cascadia Excursions now does shuttles in Oakridge, so you can build-your-own 3-day by adding on an Oakridge shuttle and/or a O'Leary epic shuttle, or do a big ride in Bend. I stayed overnight in Westfir at the lodge, right across the street from Trans-Cascadia Excursions headquarters and it worked out great. There's also Harbick's right next to the pick-up for the O'Leary epic in the McKenzie district, if you wind up over there.

Old Cascades Crest was a highlight of the summer for me. Everything about it was great. It included the worst hike-a-bike I've ever done in my life, and it was still also one of the best rides of my life.

I probably giggled the most on the descent from Indigo Lake down through the first leg of Middle Fork.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    First of all, I'm not sure they'll follow the same format next year as they did this year; Nick and his crew are figuring it out as they go. Keep an eye on the Trans-Cascadia Excursions website for when the new events pop up. They went live in April for the 2019 season. Also, there were some that were instantly "sold out" Ė those were actually private events and never really open signups, so don't be dismayed by that.

I was not able to do a 3-day this year, because the Mt. Adams 3-day didn't have enough signups. I'll sign up again next year. My basis for choosing it over Mt. St. Helens was simple Ė I looked at the pictures and liked the Adams ones more.

Of the single days I did 2 "Oakridge back country" in a single weekend, and a separate single-day on a different weekend in the Old Cascades Crest. Trans-Cascadia Excursions now does shuttles in Oakridge, so you can build-your-own 3-day by adding on an Oakridge shuttle and/or a O'Leary epic shuttle, or do a big ride in Bend. I stayed overnight in Westfir at the lodge, right across the street from Trans-Cascadia Excursions headquarters and it worked out great. There's also Harbick's right next to the pick-up for the O'Leary epic in the McKenzie district, if you wind up over there.

Old Cascades Crest was a highlight of the summer for me. Everything about it was great. It included the worst hike-a-bike I've ever done in my life, and it was still also one of the best rides of my life.

I probably giggled the most on the descent from Indigo Lake down through the first leg of Middle Fork.

Hope this helps!
    Appreciate the response.

I called and talked to Nick. He said the format will be changing and they can schedule my group for a custom 4 day excursion. Looking like end of August! 2 days in the Mt. St. Helen areas and 2 days in the Mt. Adams area. Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    My favorite zone those guys have worked in is Goat Creek/Tumwater/Green River but not sure how shuttle friendly any of that is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Appreciate the response. I called and talked to Nick. He said the format will be changing and they can schedule my group for a custom 4 day excursion. Looking like end of August! 2 days in the Mt. St. Helen areas and 2 days in the Mt. Adams area. Can't wait!!!
    Sounds sweet. Granted, those two areas are about 10 miles apart.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    10 mi apart? by how the Crow flies, or how the Crow drives? i thought it was about a 50 mi drive
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Is that a problem? The predefined excursions on their site them as to completely different 3 day trips. I asked Nick which one he recommended and he said 2 days in each area is the best way to do it.

mtbr member
    10 mi apart? by how the Crow flies, or how the Crow drives? i thought it was about a 50 mi drive
    33 miles straight across per Google Earth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Peak to peak about 30 miles - but the riding spots are closer, tending towards east side of helens and west side of adams. They don't list the helens trails though - if it's the classic Ape loop, then a long drive for sure. If Tumwater considered Helens, then they're closer. Regardless, it's all an awesome area!

mtbr member
    Regardless, it's all an awesome area!
    What I wanted to hear! I explained to Nick what I wanted to ride and I am putting my faith in him to provide the goods. Based on what I am seeing from people that are in the know, the goods will be brought. lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Most definitely! And guided is the way to go for sure!

mtbr member
    Most definitely! And guided is the way to go for sure!
    Looks like a decent amount of the Trails aren't on Trail Forks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    No trailforks and no cell coverage. The route planner on ridewithgps does a pretty good job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    10 miles? You getting heli drops up there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR Chensley View Post
    10 miles? You getting heli drops up there?
    Now we're talking! lol

mtbr member
    If you've never been to Mt St Helens, definitely go with this option.