Silver Falls SP loops ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Silver Falls SP loops ?

Going to Silver Falls SP for a couple of days next week, staying in the campground. One day is earmarked for the obligatory Ten Falls hike, the other I want to explore the park by bike. Catamount trail is the trail to ride from what I gather, seems most riders use the dirt road climb ? Is going up Rackett Ridge and Perimeter a viable option ? Or Smith Creek/Buck Mountain ? Any other suggestions ?

Thx,
    C>

Out spokin'
    I like up Smith Creek / down Catamount or better yet Perimeter / Catamount (I call it “PeriMount”). Here’s GPS track of the latter:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3152720066
    If I weren’t doing either of these loops, personally I’d just ride up and down Catamount. House Mtn Rd is miserable pit run — bumpy as can be. Catamount Trail is fairly fun to climb.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Sparty will know better than me. I usually do an out and back on Catamount/Perimeter. I haven't ridden it when it has been wet out, so I'd like to hear how well it holds up.

mtbr member
    Don't forget Bobblehead, Bullet & the other one on the opposite side of the forest road as Catamount. They're really short and could ride them all twice using the forest road to loop back up around to drop back in on each successionally. Then simply cross the road & your at the perimeter/Catamount junction.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Don't forget Bobblehead...
    Bobblehead rules!
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3892851323
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csuder99 View Post
    Any other suggestions ?
    My one time riding there I descended 214 Trail and then used the roads to get over to the main (South Falls) parking area. The bottom of that trail was the most muddy and horse-postholed mess I have ever encountered. Don't go that way.

mtbr member
    Lol!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Trail Cubist
    Last time I was there I just rode up Lookout Mtn Road (perfectly fine gravel road/doubletrack ride) and down Catamount. Good loop. It was my first time on Catamount and I was pleasantly surprised.

Then I went to the skills training loop and had a ball repeating several features multiple times. (What—your skillz are flawless and don't need practicing?) :-)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Last time I was there I just rode up Lookout Mtn Road (perfectly fine gravel road/doubletrack ride) and down Catamount. Good loop. It was my first time on Catamount and I was pleasantly surprised.

Then I went to the skills training loop and had a ball repeating several features multiple times. (What—your skillz are flawless and don't need practicing?) :-)

Scott
    Hey Scott, I don’t know when you were last there but in mid-September the Newt Loop skills area got some new drops (1’, 2’, 3’ IIRC) which are a lot of fun. IMO graduated drops are one of the best skill building features any trail system can include.

Also the Rabbit Hole Trail (formerly Wormhole / Pygmy Owl Trail) opened as well. This trail goes from the Newt Loop (skills zone) down to the SFSP Conference Center. The Conf Ctr is where one can pick up the Smith Creek Trail > Lost Creek Trail > top of the Catamount. IMO this makes for a much more pleasant loop than climbing House Mtn Rd (aka Lookout Mtn Rd).
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    HUSH YOU TWO!!! We don't want the masses coming over from SF park... Let them stay on kittymount.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks guys ! I'm probably gonna end up riding by myself so I'll be staying within the park in case I get myself into trouble

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, that was fun I started second-guessing myself right off the bat riding from the campground via 214 trail to Smith Creek, some nasty steep climbing along there. It got better after a bit on Smith Creek, then Buck Mountain and Lost Creek to Catamount. Took Pygmy Owl to the conference center and back to the CG on the road. Need to check the park out a little more next year when it's warmer ….