Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I can't wait! Sandy really needs some gnar.
    We're is the entrance/exit to the new trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamalexm View Post
    I think I saw David Gathwright ('Cantankerous' Sandy Ridge Trail couple sentenced) pushing a a commuter style bike up the climb on Sunday. Anyone else see that? I gave a friendly hello and he returned with a sort of menacing "hi". My wife said hello to him and he just ignored her.

I am pretty sure there are restraining orders for him there. (https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...nd-bear-spray/)
    You should post this on the Sandy Ridge Facebook page as well. Scary stuff...!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    You should post this on the Sandy Ridge Facebook page as well. Scary stuff...!
    I am not a facebooker. Please feel free to repost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamalexm View Post
    I am not a facebooker. Please feel free to repost.
    RIght on. Thanks for sharing! There is a number of people reporting exactly what you had said, that they too had seen him up there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3588...1276703300055/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the link - i'd searched for the group previously, but no dice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can someone explain were they are building the new trail? Hope it's finished this summer! Thank you:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bump asking for any trail conditions report - Anyone been out this weekend have anything to say about how/what is ridable?

mtbr member
    I'm heading to Portland this weekend. I was thinking about riding Sandy Ridge if its in ridable condition. Any updates?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did anyone make it out to Sandy Ridge today? Where's the snow level at? Is Flow Motion at least rideable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was up Friday, road was free of snow up to little monkey then it was all snow. trails have snow also. gonna be a bit before it's ridable again.

Nat
    mtbr member
    By when is Sandy *usually* all clear to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    By when is Sandy *usually* all clear to ride?
    Depends on the year....usually when thereís snow above FM, itís gonna take several days in the 50ís (at that elevation) with some rain to melt it off. I havenít been up there but I imagine right now thereís probably 4Ē+ at kiosk at minimum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any word when construction of the new trail Johnny Royal will begin?

mtbr member
    Probably in the fall, given that the state forester has already declared IFPL I Fire Season.

Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    It begins today! Two person crew from IMBA Trail Solutions is on the job.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Article about Johnny Royale from JVH at BermStyle:
    Sandy Ridge: Johnny Royal Trail Construction Is In Progress

This photo is from the Sandy Ridge FB group, it looks like the step-up that JVH estimates at about a 6ft high lip:
    Sandy Ridge-42785579_10215521991501246_2393118376755986432_n.jpg

mtbr member
    New trail is looking amazing. Hopefully it holds up well. Stoked to give'r a whirl!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    The TNT builder(s) is(are) saying it's bigger than their trail, but not gapped... however I wouldn't really want to half-on half-off the landing in that photo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I live about 2mi from SR trail head and ride there ever so often, especially with my 12yr old.

my question is, can i do general trail maintenance on my own? raking out berms, repairing braking bumps , leaves etc, or does it have to be through an orginaztion? I never really see any upkeep for such a busy place, and want to help out since I'm so close.

mtbr member
    I have zero official credentials but if you're not going to alter the trail in any way I say go for it 100%.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Get with NWTA. They have a trail work day planned for November 4th.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I have zero official credentials but if you're not going to alter the trail in any way I say go for it 100%.
    Same credentials and same opinion.

Here in Hood River, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can do anything helpful that does NOT involve actual dirt work.

I've kind of aged out of real dirt work parties, so these days I put in about 5 rides a year while carrying a clipper, just to get rid of the pesky face slappers, helmet smashers, etc.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i stop to pick up trash every ride there
    it ain't much, but it's my pittance for never going to work parties

does make me want to hold a class or perhaps a manual at the trailhead on how to properly pocket an energy bar wrapper & stowing of snacks & water bottles

also: i think i'm scared of johnny royal but can't wait
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    I live about 2mi from SR trail head and ride there ever so often, especially with my 12yr old.

my question is, can i do general trail maintenance on my own? raking out berms, repairing braking bumps , leaves etc, or does it have to be through an orginaztion? I never really see any upkeep for such a busy place, and want to help out since I'm so close.
    No official credentials here @ SR (I build elsewhere around the state) but I'd say simple stuff like carrying a folding saw and removing small downed trees or limbs, clippers to trim back vegetation, picking up trash is usually fine at most trail systems.

Doing work on the trail tread itself on your own without permission, not so much.

You may know what you are doing and do an amazing job improving the trails. Or you may not, and you may make things worse and cause the organization that officially maintains the trail to spend a bunch of time fixing what you've done.

The good thing, is you are close by, and have a desire to help. Suggest joining NTWA and/or attending some of their trail maintenance/build days. Talk to whoever is leading those. I'm sure they'd love to have more help, and if you show them that you know what you are doing, they may give you the go ahead to do work on your own.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Same credentials and same opinion.

Here in Hood River, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can do anything helpful that does NOT involve actual dirt work.

I've kind of aged out of real dirt work parties, so these days I put in about 5 rides a year while carrying a clipper, just to get rid of the pesky face slappers, helmet smashers, etc.

ya, I work weekends and that's when most work parties happen but honestly I don't see many going on which surprises me considering how hammered this place gets. miss the days when the local youth group called Ant Farm ran sr, those kids busted there butts!

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post

Join the NWTA on a work party day. You do not have to be a member and they supply tools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What's the snow situation like? Can you still get to the top? I'll be in Portland this weekend and wanting to get a ride in somewhere...

mtbr member
    It got just a dusting at the top last weekend according to the build crew.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nskinner View Post
    What's the snow situation like? Can you still get to the top? I'll be in Portland this weekend and wanting to get a ride in somewhere...
    Things may change by this weekend, but as of Wed, trails were 100% clear all the way to the top. Had some frozen dirt in places and a couple slick corners, but overall excellent conditions and had 0 mud spray.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was there today (Saturday), very late. Awesome conditions up top, sloppy on lower hide and seek.

Looks like rain on Sunday; might be good if you get in before then. Happy riding!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.