Sandy Ridge - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sandy Ridge

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by finch6013 View Post
    I can't wait! Sandy really needs some gnar.
    We're is the entrance/exit to the new trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamalexm View Post
    I think I saw David Gathwright ('Cantankerous' Sandy Ridge Trail couple sentenced) pushing a a commuter style bike up the climb on Sunday. Anyone else see that? I gave a friendly hello and he returned with a sort of menacing "hi". My wife said hello to him and he just ignored her.

I am pretty sure there are restraining orders for him there. (https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...nd-bear-spray/)
    You should post this on the Sandy Ridge Facebook page as well. Scary stuff...!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Techspec360 View Post
    You should post this on the Sandy Ridge Facebook page as well. Scary stuff...!
    I am not a facebooker. Please feel free to repost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamalexm View Post
    I am not a facebooker. Please feel free to repost.
    RIght on. Thanks for sharing! There is a number of people reporting exactly what you had said, that they too had seen him up there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3588...1276703300055/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the link - i'd searched for the group previously, but no dice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can someone explain were they are building the new trail? Hope it's finished this summer! Thank you:-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bump asking for any trail conditions report - Anyone been out this weekend have anything to say about how/what is ridable?

mtbr member
    I'm heading to Portland this weekend. I was thinking about riding Sandy Ridge if its in ridable condition. Any updates?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did anyone make it out to Sandy Ridge today? Where's the snow level at? Is Flow Motion at least rideable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was up Friday, road was free of snow up to little monkey then it was all snow. trails have snow also. gonna be a bit before it's ridable again.

Nat
    mtbr member
    By when is Sandy *usually* all clear to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    By when is Sandy *usually* all clear to ride?
    Depends on the year....usually when thereís snow above FM, itís gonna take several days in the 50ís (at that elevation) with some rain to melt it off. I havenít been up there but I imagine right now thereís probably 4Ē+ at kiosk at minimum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Any word when construction of the new trail Johnny Royal will begin?

mtbr member
    Probably in the fall, given that the state forester has already declared IFPL I Fire Season.

Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cburden View Post
    It begins today! Two person crew from IMBA Trail Solutions is on the job.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Article about Johnny Royale from JVH at BermStyle:
    Sandy Ridge: Johnny Royal Trail Construction Is In Progress

This photo is from the Sandy Ridge FB group, it looks like the step-up that JVH estimates at about a 6ft high lip:
    Sandy Ridge-42785579_10215521991501246_2393118376755986432_n.jpg

mtbr member
    New trail is looking amazing. Hopefully it holds up well. Stoked to give'r a whirl!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    The TNT builder(s) is(are) saying it's bigger than their trail, but not gapped... however I wouldn't really want to half-on half-off the landing in that photo...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I live about 2mi from SR trail head and ride there ever so often, especially with my 12yr old.

my question is, can i do general trail maintenance on my own? raking out berms, repairing braking bumps , leaves etc, or does it have to be through an orginaztion? I never really see any upkeep for such a busy place, and want to help out since I'm so close.

mtbr member
    I have zero official credentials but if you're not going to alter the trail in any way I say go for it 100%.

mtbr member
    Get with NWTA. They have a trail work day planned for November 4th.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I have zero official credentials but if you're not going to alter the trail in any way I say go for it 100%.
    Same credentials and same opinion.

Here in Hood River, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can do anything helpful that does NOT involve actual dirt work.

I've kind of aged out of real dirt work parties, so these days I put in about 5 rides a year while carrying a clipper, just to get rid of the pesky face slappers, helmet smashers, etc.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    i stop to pick up trash every ride there
    it ain't much, but it's my pittance for never going to work parties

does make me want to hold a class or perhaps a manual at the trailhead on how to properly pocket an energy bar wrapper & stowing of snacks & water bottles

also: i think i'm scared of johnny royal but can't wait
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    I live about 2mi from SR trail head and ride there ever so often, especially with my 12yr old.

my question is, can i do general trail maintenance on my own? raking out berms, repairing braking bumps , leaves etc, or does it have to be through an orginaztion? I never really see any upkeep for such a busy place, and want to help out since I'm so close.
    No official credentials here @ SR (I build elsewhere around the state) but I'd say simple stuff like carrying a folding saw and removing small downed trees or limbs, clippers to trim back vegetation, picking up trash is usually fine at most trail systems.

Doing work on the trail tread itself on your own without permission, not so much.

You may know what you are doing and do an amazing job improving the trails. Or you may not, and you may make things worse and cause the organization that officially maintains the trail to spend a bunch of time fixing what you've done.

The good thing, is you are close by, and have a desire to help. Suggest joining NTWA and/or attending some of their trail maintenance/build days. Talk to whoever is leading those. I'm sure they'd love to have more help, and if you show them that you know what you are doing, they may give you the go ahead to do work on your own.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Same credentials and same opinion.

Here in Hood River, the rule of thumb seems to be that you can do anything helpful that does NOT involve actual dirt work.

I've kind of aged out of real dirt work parties, so these days I put in about 5 rides a year while carrying a clipper, just to get rid of the pesky face slappers, helmet smashers, etc.

ya, I work weekends and that's when most work parties happen but honestly I don't see many going on which surprises me considering how hammered this place gets. miss the days when the local youth group called Ant Farm ran sr, those kids busted there butts!

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post

Join the NWTA on a work party day. You do not have to be a member and they supply tools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What's the snow situation like? Can you still get to the top? I'll be in Portland this weekend and wanting to get a ride in somewhere...

mtbr member
    It got just a dusting at the top last weekend according to the build crew.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nskinner View Post
    What's the snow situation like? Can you still get to the top? I'll be in Portland this weekend and wanting to get a ride in somewhere...
    Things may change by this weekend, but as of Wed, trails were 100% clear all the way to the top. Had some frozen dirt in places and a couple slick corners, but overall excellent conditions and had 0 mud spray.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was there today (Saturday), very late. Awesome conditions up top, sloppy on lower hide and seek.

Looks like rain on Sunday; might be good if you get in before then. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Any word on snow levels at SR as of today?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    According to the younger of the two main TNT / Little Monkey builders (TR) it's still snow-covered from the bridge up, but Lower Hide N Seek and below are rideable, as of 2 days ago.

Too Much Fun
    Given the temps and sun this weekend it should be ripening nicely.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There will continue to be snow and unridable conditions until someone posts that conditions have improved. I understand it was 60 degrees on the valley floor, however there was a snow storm very recently still. Sandy Ridge and other popular riding locations are in the mountains, where snow tends to accumulate in larger amounts than the valley floor. So yes, there is and will remain snow on trails in the mountains, until further notice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Went up today. TNT/Little Monkey/Laura's are all fully dry and good to go. Lower lower hide and seek (after the bailout to TNT zone) was good but above there was definitely still snowy/muddy in spots. Would hold out on that for a while. Anything above that won't be rideable for quite a while. There is a lot of snow out there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming as conditions improve.

mtbr member
    Here's a photo from today posted to the SR FB group. That's the kiosk in the distance. Not my photo.

Sandy Ridge-55865112_10219607767971793_8138289038177075200_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Rode there this weekend. If you are willing to hike through the snow, upper hide and seek and two turn tables are rideable/dry for now. Both need tuning up after the winter slumber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agree with bubba13 - just rode upper hide & seek on 3/31. If someone was kind enough to bring a decent size folding saw, you could clear all the trees except for 1 that are down on hide & seek.

The trail was in great shape, no mud or even splashy sections up there!

mtbr member
    Who else is coming out for shuttles on Saturday?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    I don't have a ticket but I may be in the area (riding Ski Bowl tomorrow, staying overnight at a cabin in Rhododendron) and have been considering asking on the Sandy Ridge FB page if anyone wants to sell theirs.

Or, maybe I'll hit Black Rock...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Or, maybe I'll hit Black Rock...
    Probably going there Sunday.

There's a lot of chatter on the group with people looking for and/or selling tickets for Saturday.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Probably going there Sunday.

There's a lot of chatter on the group with people looking for and/or selling tickets for Saturday.
    Hmmmm, now I'm thinking I might grab the bus to Timberline and ride T2T tomorrow morning then go to Ski Bowl in the afternoon. The bus stop looks to be right across the highway from my cabin.

mtbr member
    ^I'd definitely do that, best $2 you could spend. End your day on the Salmon with a beer. Great swimming/chillin hole right at the first bridge.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^I'd definitely do that, best $2 you could spend. End your day on the Salmon with a beer. Great swimming/chillin hole right at the first bridge.
    Now we're talkin'!

mtbr member
    We had a group of about a dozen out on Saturday from Corvallis, many of whom were volunteering for Team Dirt and running the shuttles at Alsea Falls last month (I was not a volunteer then). I didn't get to ride with most of them as we (Matt, Jason, Chris and I) got on the "early shuttle" and we were out-of-phase with the rest of the crew for the day. Our group did 4-5 laps.

We warmed up with a full run of Hide and Seek, which was a great choice. Best dirt I've ever seen at Sandy Ridge all over the trail system, and there were no other riders on the trail with us, which didn't happen again for the rest of the day, except maybe on Flow Motion.

Second lap was all the climbing; up to Communication Breakdown and back down, then down Quid Pro Flow and up again, up 338 then down Two Turntables. Part of our group flatted so we waited a long time at the cut-in to Johnny Royale and heckled people for the first three features. Eventually we got hungry and went to have lunch, and our group caught us within a minute or two; they must have been right behind us.

Post-lunch we went up to Rock Drop. I skipped the drop. Jump line beyond that was so fun. We then took the cutoff left then right onto 338, then left again to cut over to Two Turntables, and then Johnny Royale. Johnny Royale was mind-blowing. I hit the first two features and then essentially chickened out. It wasn't until quite a bit lower that I started seeing things I'd be willing to hit on a second or third run, comparable to a few of the gaps I've done at Black Rock.

Lap four was the same route at the start. Hit the drop kind of deep and straight into the inside of the catch berm. Two Turntables and a Microwave was a blast. I don't think I've ever mobbed down that trail so fast. Don't know if it was the conditions or my confidence but it felt like it ended so quickly. We then cut up from the bridge and pedaled up to Flow Motion, which was the best tread of the day. Just railing berms. Back down to Lower Hide and Seek and then took the cutout to Little Monkey. Enjoyed the new drop on the left hand side after the reunion with TnT.

Fifth lap was solo, same as the fourth, nonstop but better on Rock Drop. Dinner at Reverend's BBQ in Portland. I'll probably switch back to Podnah's Pit BBQ on my next trip, just got to remember to ask for the fatty brisket.

Kudos to the builders, volunteers, organizers and maintainers. See you next year!

mtbr member
    We had a group of about a dozen out on Saturday from Corvallis, many of whom were volunteering for Team Dirt and running the shuttles at Alsea Falls last month (I was not a volunteer then). I didn't get to ride with most of them as we (Matt, Jason, Chris and I) got on the "early shuttle" and we were out-of-phase with the rest of the crew for the day. Our group did 4-5 laps.

We warmed up with a full run of Hide and Seek, which was a great choice. Best dirt I've ever seen at Sandy Ridge all over the trail system, and there were no other riders on the trail with us, which didn't happen again for the rest of the day, except maybe on Flow Motion.

Second lap was all the climbing; up to Communication Breakdown and back down, then down Quid Pro Flow and up again, up 338 then down Two Turntables. Part of our group flatted so we waited a long time at the cut-in to Johnny Royale and heckled people for the first three features. Eventually we got hungry and went to have lunch, and our group caught us within a minute or two; they must have been right behind us.

Post-lunch we went up to Rock Drop. I skipped the drop. Jump line beyond that was so fun. We then took the cutoff left then right onto 338, then left again to cut over to Two Turntables, and then Johnny Royale. Johnny Royale was mind-blowing. I hit the first two features and then essentially chickened out. It wasn't until quite a bit lower that I started seeing things I'd be willing to hit on a second or third run, comparable to a few of the gaps I've done at Black Rock.

Lap four was the same route at the start. Hit the drop kind of deep and straight into the inside of the catch berm. Two Turntables and a Microwave was a blast. I don't think I've ever mobbed down that trail so fast. Don't know if it was the conditions or my confidence but it felt like it ended so quickly. We then cut up from the bridge and pedaled up to Flow Motion, which was the best tread of the day. Just railing berms. Back down to Lower Hide and Seek and then took the cutout to Little Monkey. Enjoyed the new drop on the left hand side after the reunion with TnT.

Fifth lap was solo, same as the fourth, nonstop but better on Rock Drop. Dinner at Reverend's BBQ in Portland. I'll probably switch back to Podnah's Pit BBQ on my next trip, just got to remember to ask for the fatty brisket.

Kudos to the builders, volunteers, organizers and maintainers. See you next year!
    Sounds like a kick butt day. I've never been to any of the shuttle days, but after reading this, I might need to go to the next one.

I just tried Reverend's BBQ, it was good but not like what Podnah's used to be. I'm not sure what is going on at Podnah's, but the last time we ate there, it might have been the worst food I have ever had in a restaurant. Plus, they have switched to counter service. I don't know if the crappy food was a onetime thing, becasue we typically have a good experience there, but it was bad enough this time, I'd consider never going back again. Next time you're in Portland, give People's Pig a try.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's a blast. This was the best one ever. The new parking area was full of vendors, demos, a much larger food operation. They rallied shuttles all day and there was not really any wait to get on board.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Next time you're in Portland, give People's Pig a try.
    Thanks for the tip. I had my eye on a couple food trucks (Matt's, Road Runner) but they're known for selling out (and Road Runner actually was). Shame about Podnah's, I didn't have a bad experience on the 4th of July weekend but it was just a bit off. Their chili beans were still amazingly great, it's just that the brisket was a bit dry. Don't get me started on how disappointed I was by Red Shed Public House last year.
    Last edited by tbmaddux; 2 Days Ago at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Yeah it's a blast. This was the best one ever. The new parking area was full of vendors, demos, a much larger food operation. They rallied shuttles all day and there was not really any wait to get on board.
    Sounds like a proper shuttle day.

Thanks for the tip. I had my eye on a couple food trucks (Matt's, Road Runner) but they're known for selling out (and Road Runner) actually was. Shame about Podnah's, I didn't have a bad experience on the 4th of July weekend but it was just a bit off. Their chili beans were still amazingly great, it's just that the brisket was a bit dry.
    Matt's is really good. If they run out of food, you have plenty of other options in the food cart pod. Plus, Prost is right there and has a damn good German beer selection.

Don't get me started on how disappointed I was by Red Shed Public House last year.
    I have given up on food in the Hwy 26 corridor. I'll stop in at El Burro Loco for the wild boar tocas, but that's about it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    El Burro Loco used to be really solid Tex-Mex. Last time I went, it was disappointing. Bummer to see good places slide into mediocrity.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.