Riding logging roads behind my house.- Mtbr.com
    Have a great ride!

Riding logging roads behind my house.

So I live out in the country in Marcola and there are logging roads behind my house and at the end of my road. I think I can ride to the top of my road, take the logging roads and come down the powerline road behind my house, should be about a 6 mile loop with a sweet descent down the powerline road. I think the logging roads are weyerhouser property or BLM land. Im not sure which it is but I heard if you're up there in a vehicle you can get in trouble for trespassing and they can take your vehicle. Does anybody know if this is true? If this is true does this include mountain bikes? I have rode to the top of the powerline road where it meets the logging roads and there is a sign posted that says no trespassing. Any info on this subject would be appreciated, I just dont want to get in trouble our worse lose my bike!
    Last edited by Lowkey1505; 08-21-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    BLM land you should be fine. Weyerhouser I am not sure of but i know in my area they allow access to hunting,hiking, and horseback riding so I don't see why this would be any different unless it's being actively logged. There is usually a phone number on those signs or look it up online. Give them a call and see what they say.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No guarantee, but everytime I've come across loggers or a logging operation they have always been friendly.

Making fat cool since '71
    Nobody legit is going to bother you for just riding the roads. I/we ride Weyerhouser roads a bit down here outside Cottage Grove and have never been bothered. Like Vancbiker said, they've always been friendly. To the point, one worker pulled a cooler from his cab and offered a "cold one" when talking one fine hot as hell day.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

I should be out riding
    All good advice. Be cautious about entering areas with active logging going on though, and also during working hours. Weyerhaeuser, and most larger industrial timber owners, seem fairly friendly toward nonmotorized recreation (different story toward trail building...). If you see signs and gates though, its worth confirming who the landowner really is. Sometimes the fringes near civilization are smaller parcels NOT owned by the timber co's, and don't have the same access rules.

Have a great ride!
    Thanks for the input guys! Im gonna ride to the top of my road and see if there is a number or anything on the gate to call, but sounds like it shouldn't be a huge deal if I ride up there. The only other thing I would worry about its cougars! lol

Tree Hugger
    It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
    If you don't ask, they can't say no........
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Have a great ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
    If you don't ask, they can't say no........
    Yeah but I would rather ask permission than as for my bike back.

Have a great ride!
    Well I rode to the gate at the top of my rode and there was no trespassing signs posted by Weyerhaeuser with a number on it, but before I took off a truck came down the road and when they stopped to open the gate I asked if I could ride past the gate and he said as long is its not a motorized I could ride up there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding logging roads behind my house.-gate.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004

I live in Thurston and explore some too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowkey1505 View Post
    Well I rode to the gate at the top of my rode and there was no trespassing signs posted by Weyerhaeuser with a number on it, but before I took off a truck came down the road and when they stopped to open the gate I asked if I could ride past the gate and he said as long is its not a motorized I could ride up there
    I have riden several logging roads near my house. I encountered a sign that said "What part of no trespassing don't you understand? " and on the same road "This road has been spiked". I have been kinda sneaky and that has helped at least once.

I've always wanted to ride up Mount Nebo from Marcola but when I tried I was discouraged by a house with big dogs at the end of the road.