Questions about Beaverton- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Questions about Beaverton

.... so the wife and I have been contemplating a move. We've both lived all over the country, and are currently in TX. There are a lot of things we like about the area, however we really enjoy being outside, and seasons. That's one of the biggest reasons for wanting a change. We have a young daughter that we'd like to have established before she gets too much older. I've had a few interesting offers in the Beaverton area, but know nothing about it other than it's west of Portland.

We're not young and hip enough to live in the uber hipster area's, but we don't necessarily want to live in a cookie cutter neighborhood.

We'd like a good school system for our daughter, nice parks, library, and shops close enough where we could walk or ride bikes for groceries, coffee, etc.

What does the local knowledge think... where would you live? We don't need a huge home, don't have a huge budget.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well,I'm biased since I spent the past 12 years in North East Portland (before moving to Hood River). The thought of living in Beaverton gives me the hives. Hell, the thought of driving through Beaverton gives me the hives. Then again, the thought of Portland public schools doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy (our kids went to a good PDX public school, but it is a joke compared to their current HR school). But I think you will find Portland isn't all hipsters. Lots of families. Bottom line though is you have to come out and spend some time in the various neighborhoods to get a feel for it. I just hope you hate the sun. June 3 and I think we will see our 4th or 5th day with temps over 70 today.

Metalheadbikerider

Definitely Portland.

There are many neighborhoods like you described. Portland isn't all the media (ie. Portlandia) cracks it up to be. The parks and ability to never have to use a car are incredible appealing. I live in the Laurelhurst Elementary (k-8)/Grant High School neighborhood and recently refied our home knowing our little dude is going to be heading to great schools. There are some excellent schools despite the district being in a difficult situation. I teach in Beaverton and we are experiencing the exact same thing, the burbs aren't immune to the economic situation. Feel free to send me any other questions. I'm happy to help.
    And don't forget top join NWTA/IMBA when you arrive.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Let's roll.
    I think Southwest PDX would be a good bet. It's like the good parts of Southeast without the hipsters, but not cookie cutter suburbia like beaverton and hillsboro. Lots of parks and public and private school options, but the downside is the lack of sidewalks and bike lanes. I've lived all over PDX, including a stint in Beaverton, so feel free to ask questions.
    Bend, Oregon. Proof you don't have to die to get to heaven.

Obviously Single

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Well,I'm biased since I spent the past 12 years in North East Portland (before moving to Hood River). The thought of living in Beaverton gives me the hives. Hell, the thought of driving through Beaverton gives me the hives. Then again, the thought of Portland public schools doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy (our kids went to a good PDX public school, but it is a joke compared to their current HR school). But I think you will find Portland isn't all hipsters. Lots of families. Bottom line though is you have to come out and spend some time in the various neighborhoods to get a feel for it. I just hope you hate the sun. June 3 and I think we will see our 4th or 5th day with temps over 70 today.
    LOL.

I live in the country, and the though of living in *anything* Portland (or any other city) gives me the hives.

To each their own.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    I sacrificed 2 years of my life living in Houston Texas, I will gladly take the dreary Portland winter over the hot humid days of Texas. The couple months of nice weather in Oregon will certainly make up for the crummy months.

As for Beaverton or Portland...I don't have kids and I'm not a hipster, but I do enjoy living in Portland. The beer, food and restaurants are very nice. I don't venture to the west side much, but what I have seen is cookie cutter.

mtbr member
    My husband is from Beaverton, and it's a lot like any suburb of Houston, Dallas or Austin. Not a bad place. Just a suburb. Personally, if we were doing the Portland burbs, we'd rather live in Lake Oswego or Tigard, but that's just us. Beaverton does get you close to downtown, Washington Park, and some other nice spots in Portland. I lived in Dallas for four years and the climate is the polar opposite from Texas. Now we're in Bend, and we're very content to visit our family in Portland and then get our butts back over the mountains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Portland is full of hipsters, beaveton is great, you are closer to the Tillamook Forest with miles of great riding, and a lot less traveled compared to Hood River area and Sandy Ridge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It's easy to find 1000 reasons why Portland is popular... but I don't think I've heard anyone say they love Beavertown. I don't mean to offend anyone but if you've seen one suburb you've seen them all.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely try and stay OUT of Beaverton and Portland as well. They are pretty crappy areas, awful traffic, high crime, etc. I would recommend somewhere like Wilsonville, West Linn, or Lake Oswego.

Afric Pepperbird
    McMinnville is nice , but perhaps a tad too far out in the boonies.

It's a fine PDX suburb. (I consider 30 miles out a suburb)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drmain View Post
    Definitely try and stay OUT of Beaverton and Portland as well. They are pretty crappy areas, awful traffic, high crime, etc. I would recommend somewhere like Wilsonville, West Linn, or Lake Oswego.
    That's crazy talk.

Obviously Single

Good job! +1

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha249 View Post
    Portland is full of hipsters, beaveton is great, you are closer to the Tillamook Forest with miles of great riding, and a lot less traveled compared to Hood River area and Sandy Ridge.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one here willing to speak up for Silicon Valley Northwest.
    The Lee-Man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    McMinnville is nice , but perhaps a tad too far out in the boonies.

It's a fine PDX suburb. (I consider 30 miles out a suburb)
    I agree with this, McMinnville is nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Since I have actually lived in Beaverton for the last 15 years, instead of just dissing from afar I can say that it's probably better than the Texas suburbs. The Beaverton school district is better run than Portland or Hillsboro and between the option schools and the better neighborhood schools your kids can get a good education, the libraries are excellent and the parks and rec department has miles of bike paths and half a dozen rec centers with pools gyms and so on. Where I live in SE Beaverton I can bike to shopping, libraries, commuter rail and a longish bike path. I can also ride a tiny bit of singletrack in Hyland Forest Park to get a fix or stay in practice and most of the good area trails are only 1-2 hours driving. It's not perfect but it beats the endless tract houses of Damascus or Wilsonville.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. From what I've read we're no where near able to afford Lake Oswego, Raleigh Hills, Pearl District. I did some googling and liked the look of the Laurelhurst area, but we've got Bud budget and Campaign taste.... good thing there are lots of micro brews.

As it turns out the job that I'm most interested in covers North Oregon and Southern Washington, and my office in Beaverton is not going to be a M-F type deal so as long as I have access to highways looks like I'll be ok just about anywhere in the PDX metro.

If I get the job, the wife and kiddo will stay here for 6 months to a year, while we sell the house. That should give me enough time to explore and figure out different neighborhoods, we'll probably rent for a year or so after that until we find the right place.

I will not miss the intense sun or heat for 10 months out of the year, and look forward to cooler weather and some great riding. I understand I'll be driving about an hour to the "good stuff" and look forward to joining the local advocacy groups and getting to know more of you.

Thanks again for all the responses, I'll keep my eyes on this thread for more suggestions on areas to think about and any good ideas on short term rentals or rooms to lease while in transition.

Cheers,

FB

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Shake yourself and run like the wind. Move there if you want a bad economy, gillion of days of rain, and lots of traffic. Why do you want to live there? I'm confused...oh, and mountain biking is quite a drive. Oh, and enjoy giving the State of Oregon a dime of every dollar you make.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Shake yourself and run like the wind. Move there if you want a bad economy, gillion of days of rain, and lots of traffic. Why do you want to live there? I'm confused...oh, and mountain biking is quite a drive. Oh, and enjoy giving the State of Oregon a dime of every dollar you make.
    I could try to explain, but it would probably just confuse you further.

I have a nice 2850 SF 4/3/2 Stone & Hardy Plank for sale in New Braunfels (between San Antonio and Austin) for sale if you're dying to get out of Oregon....

Afric Pepperbird
    Jaybo, in every one of these Portland-area threads, you always blabber a bunch of negatives, yet never provide any positive, constructive ideas of alternatives. We might be able to slightly stomach it just a tad more if you would provide some ideas to the OP as to where you think he should move to.

mtbr member
    So the wife and I were talking about me going ahead and her staying behind with the kiddo. I've been looking at Craigslist for rooms to rent, then we had an "a-ha" moment. What if I bought an RV or Travel Trailer when I get there, it would be great for the family for trips to ID, MT, WY, but where could I park one long term (I'd prefer not to be in a trailer park if possible). Are there any places near a trail head I could park long term? Thoughts?

endoguy
    Stub stewart State park has camp9ing. Not sure about tillamook state forest

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Move here and we can talk

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Jaybo, in every one of these Portland-area threads, you always blabber a bunch of negatives, yet never provide any positive, constructive ideas of alternatives. We might be able to slightly stomach it just a tad more if you would provide some ideas to the OP as to where you think he should move to.
    It is tongue in cheek. I have lived in Texas and it sucked. I just get fatigued by the 'Oregon is the only place to live' mentality on this board. Oh, and Beaverton sucks tail! It just does...

Obviously Single

Beaverton must be good

It is tongue in cheek. I have lived in Texas and it sucked. I just get fatigued by the 'Oregon is the only place to live' mentality on this board. Oh, and Beaverton sucks tail! It just does...

By the logic that seem prevalent here, Beaverton must be good -- Jaybo doesn't like it.

I rest my case.

(BTW, as I said, I don't like living in any city. Just don't dis the country, or I'll sick Jaybo on you.)
    The Lee-Man

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    By the logic that seem prevalent here, Beaverton must be good -- Jaybo doesn't like it.

I rest my case.

(BTW, as I said, I don't like living in any city. Just don't dis the country, or I'll sick Jaybo on you.)
    You really need to find a life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    I've been teaching out here for 13 years and I haven't found any besides The Mad Greek Deli!
    Everything else is chain, chain, chain! Red Robin, Stanfords, Chipotle, etc. Where are they hiding?!?
    Are you referring to Portland or Beaverton?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Having lived in Beaverton for a few years I can say it's at least safer than living in outer SE (east of 60th) or upper North Portland. But, it is extemely boring in Beaverton, afterall suburbia is where dreams go to die. There are no good restaurants, coffee, bars or anything non-corporate on basically the entire west side. It's almost like a time warp into some other world going through that hwy 26 tunnel heading west. The only thing I go to Beaverton for now is the Farmers market which is excellent. For riding, all the really good trails are east (HR, BEND) and north, up in SW Washington.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    So the wife and I were talking about me going ahead and her staying behind with the kiddo. I've been looking at Craigslist for rooms to rent, then we had an "a-ha" moment. What if I bought an RV or Travel Trailer when I get there, it would be great for the family for trips to ID, MT, WY, but where could I park one long term (I'd prefer not to be in a trailer park if possible). Are there any places near a trail head I could park long term? Thoughts?
    If you turn it into a food cart you will fit right in here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX View Post
    If you turn it into a food cart you will fit right in here.
    Ha! Think there's a big market for hot dogs & applesauce? Except for grilled stuff, that's my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    Personally I like Portland, but then I'm a city guy. (Sort of ... having grown up in Minneapolis and also lived in Seattle, Portland feels downright small-town to me).

My kid is in Portland Public Schools and getting a fantastic education, but as in most cities we have two-tiered public schools. The schools in wealthier neighborhoods, and the magnet schools, have lots of involved and/or wealthy parents who can fundraise to hire extra teachers and pay for "amenities" like art and music classes. Meanwhile the poorer neighborhood schools suffer with large class sizes, the district's bare minimum offerings and lots of kids with more challenges at home. Not surprisingly, these inequities end up reflected in the schools' test scores and ratings, which only perpetuates the inequity. If anything these gaps are LESS of a problem in Portland than in most other "big" cities, but they are a problem. If you do settle in the city, there are a LOT of good schools including some amazing magnet programs. You'll want to factor neighborhood schools into your choice of location, because unless you get your kids into a magnet school (nearly impossible after Kindergarten) the only way to switch schools is to move. I'd advise renting for a while initially so you have the option to move to another neighborhood if you end up not liking the school.

As far as suburbs go, I think Beaverton's great. With all of my life except work centered in Portland, I can't imagine living in Beaverton. But I have worked there for 8 years and find it to be one of the better 'burbs. It's got more diversity than most of the other burbs, great parks, lots of jobs, good schools and libraries, a fantastic bike-lane network for a suburb, a good selection of restaurants for suburb, and good proximity to Tillamook Forest, Stub Stewart and the coast. The houses may look cookie-cutter, but the culture is less cookie-cutter than some of the snootier suburbs.
    Glowboy, thanks... good advice. We'll rent before we buy for sure.... schools will be a big consideration

highly visible
    Personally I like Portland, but then I'm a city guy. (Sort of ... having grown up in Minneapolis and also lived in Seattle, Portland feels downright small-town to me).

My kid is in Portland Public Schools and getting a fantastic education, but as in most cities we have two-tiered public schools. The schools in wealthier neighborhoods, and the magnet schools, have lots of involved and/or wealthy parents who can fundraise to hire extra teachers and pay for "amenities" like art and music classes. Meanwhile the poorer neighborhood schools suffer with large class sizes, the district's bare minimum offerings and lots of kids with more challenges at home. Not surprisingly, these inequities end up reflected in the schools' test scores and ratings, which only perpetuates the inequity. If anything these gaps are LESS of a problem in Portland than in most other "big" cities, but they are a problem. If you do settle in the city, there are a LOT of good schools including some amazing magnet programs. You'll want to factor neighborhood schools into your choice of location, because unless you get your kids into a magnet school (nearly impossible after Kindergarten) the only way to switch schools is to move. I'd advise renting for a while initially so you have the option to move to another neighborhood if you end up not liking the school.

As far as suburbs go, I think Beaverton's great. With all of my life except work centered in Portland, I can't imagine living in Beaverton. But I have worked there for 8 years and find it to be one of the better 'burbs. It's got more diversity than most of the other burbs, great parks, lots of jobs, good schools and libraries, a fantastic bike-lane network for a suburb, a good selection of restaurants for suburb, and good proximity to Tillamook Forest, Stub Stewart and the coast. The houses may look cookie-cutter, but the culture is less cookie-cutter than some of the snootier suburbs.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Metalheadbikerider

Good restaurants?

I've been teaching out here for 13 years and I haven't found any besides The Mad Greek Deli!
    Everything else is chain, chain, chain! Red Robin, Stanfords, Chipotle, etc. Where are they hiding?!?
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Fatty On A Monocog
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha249 View Post
    Any advice on where to go exactly in Tillamook Forest for some good riding? I'm just getting started and trying to find some nice, not so crowded places. I don't want to be in other peoples way. Thanks!
    Life's journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safe but rather 2 skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "Holy S what a ride!"

Fatty On A Monocog
    I live in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area...close to Century High and we enjoy it. Lived in Aloha (when it was nice) for many years during my school days in the 70's & 80's. If I could afford it I would probably live in the Lake Oswego area or west hills of Portland. Aloha (basically a suburb of Beaverton) is pretty grimey now in my opinion. Sure it has some nice neighborhoods like any other town/city. Beaverton is better and a good place to raise a family I believe. I would not want to live on the east side of Portland...I much prefer the west side.

As far as comparing to the rest of the country I do know that I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. From '94 to 2008 my job took me all over the U.S. and I was able to experience most of our large cities and many, many smaller towns. When I look at the big picture and take in account most factors such as schooling, weather, quality of living, scenery, outdoor activities, job market, cleanliness, the attitude of others and so on....when I take all that in to account, there is no other place that I rather live than NW Oregon.

I'll step off my soap box now as I have spent my 2 cents.
    Life's journey is not 2 arrive @ the grave safe but rather 2 skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "Holy S what a ride!"

Obviously Single

Wrt?

Quote Originally Posted by FOAM View Post
    Any advice on where to go exactly in Tillamook Forest for some good riding? I'm just getting started and trying to find some nice, not so crowded places. I don't want to be in other peoples way. Thanks!
    There are just a few trails in the Tillamook Forest.

I'd suggest starting out on the Wilson River Trail. Go all the way to the Visitor's Center and park there. You can go East a few miles before it crosses the Bridge to Nowhere and heads straight up. Heading west from the Visitor's center is some of the most beginner-friendly single track around. (Not bike-path friendly, but relatively flat.)

Other well-known trails are Brown's Camp (aka Historic Hiking Trail or HHT), and the Gales Creek/Story Burn loop. Both of these have more descending/climbing at once than WRT does.
    The Lee-Man

Fatty On A Monocog
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
    There are just a few trails in the Tillamook Forest.

I'd suggest starting out on the Wilson River Trail. Go all the way to the Visitor's Center and park there. You can go East a few miles before it crosses the Bridge to Nowhere and heads straight up. Heading west from the Visitor's center is some of the most beginner-friendly single track around. (Not bike-path friendly, but relatively flat.)

Other well-known trails are Brown's Camp (aka Historic Hiking Trail or HHT), and the Gales Creek/Story Burn loop. Both of these have more descending/climbing at once than WRT does.
    Thank you very much!

Big Test Icycles
    I lived and worked in BVTN for seven years. For the most part its clean, low crime, good schools. If you want good access to NW Ptld (pubs, shopping, etc and NW 23rd) check out the Bethany to Cedar Mill area, just N or Hwy 26. They may still be unincorporated neighborhoods in Washington County so the property taxes will be a little lower. Just an idea.

Metalheadbikerider

I teach in the Beav...

but live in Portland. I haven't found many good restaurants in the Beav.

highly visible
    Not saying Beaverton even remotely approaches Portland, but it does have some decent ones besides Mad Greek that are NOT chains. Places I've eaten that weren't bad:
    - Lentil Garden at Evergreen/Cornell
    - India Flavors (formerly Mayuri, I think) at Walker/158th
    - Curry Leaf in Bethany (not what it was when it opened, but still decent)
    - Abhiruchi (some people hate this place, my wife included, but I thought it was Ok)
    - Thailand Restaurant at Walker/158th
    - Pepita's at Cedar Hills/Millikan
    - Nonna Emilia just off TV Highway at 172nd

Tomorrow I'll be going to CT Bistro with a group from work and will let you know if that's any good. Also on my list to try, but haven't visited, are La Fogata, Gloria's Secret, Pho Hung, Yuzu, Sweet Lemon and several other Thai restaurants. I'm sure there are also quite a few decent Mexican places as you get out towards Hillsboro, but I haven't explored much in that direction.

And although they're chains ... Swagat, Typhoon, Thai Orchid, Cafe Yumm and Pastini are at least local chains with locations in the Beaverton area, and are generally better than the overpriced schlock you get from the bigger corporate chain restaurants.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 06-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

highly visible
    As far as having a trailer and parking it long term near a trailhead, that isn't likely to work unless you can find a private landowner near the edge of a National Forest who'll rent some space to you. Parking near trailheads is tight, and tightly regulated. Campgrounds usually have 10-14 day stay limits, so you'd have to move a lot, and are a LOT more expensive than they used to be now that the Forest Circus has hired private contractors to run them.

In the parts of the National Forests that aren't overrun with weekend warriors all the time, there are lots of "dispersed" spots. But if you leave your unoccupied trailer parked there on summer weekends when the campgrounds are full and everyone else is fighting over the dispersed locations, your trailer is likely to get used for target practice, or worse.

I got nothin'
    When my parents come through Oregon they stay here: http://roamersrestrvpark.com/

I don't know anything about it, but they like the place.

Beaverton has some good qualities. In the downtown area there are plenty of small businesses, including good restaurants, bike shops, farmers market, great library, and some nice older homes. IMHO it's no worse crime wise then many areas in NE and SE PDX. You don't get the walkable neighborhood experience in Beaverton outside the downtown core however like you do in PDX. As others have said, the Beaverton scholl district is dealing with the same budget issues as the other districts are, just not in the same spotlight as the Portland district.

Another option if you like a newer neighborhood that is close to Beaverton is the Cedar Hills area. You can live in a 60's to a new neighborhood while being close to Beaverton, easy access to the MAX, and still get the prestigious Portland address. You have to drive to get to services though.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I live in Beaverton and work in NW Portland. Ride just about every weekend in Tillamook State Forest and I can't complain too much....Nothing to be afraid of here in Oregon!

mtbr member
    West Beaverton is pretty nice. Look for something West of Murray and South of Canyon. The further to the SW you go, the closer to the "country" and the nicer the homes for the most part. I don't have kids, but the schools out my way seem fine.

Depending on your job offers and willingness to commute, there are also lots of other nice options in the area within 30 mins. If Beaverton doesn't do it for you, check out Sherwood or Newberg. Lake Oswego or Lake Grove areas are also nice, but over priced for what you get.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be going to CT Bistro with a group from work and will let you know if that's any good.
    CT is pretty good. At Murray/Cornell. Vietnamese+Thai. I'm always suspicious of restaurants that attempt to "specialize" in multiple cuisines because they often end up specializing in neither, but at least the Vietnamese dishes there are pretty good.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all the advice. The more I look around and the more I do the math, the more it's looking like I'm going to end up buying a second hand RV as a temporary home. Had my 3rd and hopefully final interview this week, should know in the next week or so if I got the job.... keeping my fingers crossed. Since it's a "remote" position, I'm not nailed down to Beaverton, but since I'll likely be living in a RV for at least a year I'm researching RV parks.

highly visible
    Biking in and around Beaverton is slated to get better:

In Washington County, momentum grows for adding bicyclists, pedestrians into transportation system [Oregonian]

zep
    mtbr member

If you like SUVs and strip malls, you'll love Beaverton

...that's what I heard once, and it's not far off-the-mark. We've lived a few miles South of Beaverton, in Tigard, since 1999, and I bike commute into Beaverton, North along Murray Blvd. all year long.

Beaverton is typical Suburbia (except for the rain, perhaps), as others have said--if you like that sort of thing, then it's the chit, a boffo success. The dirt riding in the immediate area is non-existent, unless you count gravel roads. The road cycling, West of Beaverton is really very good; both rural and challenging. I suspect that most folks would be happier in PDX, but what do I know, with a home in Tigard.

If you plan to ride year-round, on the street anyway, then bring or plan to buy some full-coverage fenders--you'll need them. If you live on a high hill, like I do, you can burn through a set of rims every year, if you use rim brakes...that's what 8+ months of yearly rain and road grit will do for you.
    Last edited by zep; 06-18-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Get some miles in--we've got weather coming.

Old Fart, Crank Warrior
    Beaverton is best described as, "Half way between two Fred Meyer's and too far to walk to either one." It's the worst sort of CA suburban sprawl, condo development, and entirely automobile oriented to the extent that in most places you cannot get across the street on foot. Strip malls and parking lots, joined together by fast food restaurants and freeway overpasses.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonWunderland View Post
    Beaverton is best described as, "Half way between two Fred Meyer's and too far to walk to either one." It's the worst sort of CA suburban sprawl, condo development, and entirely automobile oriented to the extent that in most places you cannot get across the street on foot. Strip malls and parking lots, joined together by fast food restaurants and freeway overpasses.
    Job fell through, so looks like I'm back to hunting for a position. Seems like there are more opportunities in the Beaverton area for my line of work.

Thanks again for all the input. Will keep you all posted if/when I land a full time gig up your way! 104* for the last week, I'm ready for some nice liquid sunshine from the PNW.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well living in Texas is definetely not as good as Beaverton. Everything will seem much closer in here compared to Texas. The Beav is a good place to start out getting used to the area. Good luck on your search too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPDX View Post
    Well living in Texas is definetely not as good as Beaverton. Everything will seem much closer in here compared to Texas. The Beav is a good place to start out getting used to the area. Good luck on your search too.
    Thank you.

I lived on the east coast for over 20 years, it was shocking to me to drive for 12 hours and still be in the same state! I used to jump in my jeep back in college, and drive from DC to Daytona in 10.5 hours.

Bummed about the position as it was a remote job so I could work out of a coffee shop if I wanted, which would have made learning the PDX area much easier not being chained to a desk. Oh well, the right thing will come to me I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Dredging this post up again. Still working on getting out there. Just had a positive 2.5 hour interview and during the conversation it struck me that if they did indeed want me to start in the next 4-6 weeks as is indicated, I might need to have a place to stay rather quickly. The wife has killed the motor home idea. Anyone have any suggestions for an inexpensive apartment/condo in the PDX. This would be a 1 year deal I'd like a 1bd, 1 ba but could live with an efficiency if the price/location is right... I've thought about just renting a room from Craigslist, but would be worried about living with people I don't know, especially leaving my bike(s) in a shared house. Thanks in advance. I'm guessing SE or NE PDX would be ideal as the position is in NE PDX.