mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Post Canyon/ Syncline Conditions?

Anyone know the status as of Jan 1 on the conditions out towards HR? Dying to ride, but don't want to drive from Portland to find 2 feet of snow. I don't even care if just the lower stuff is open - I just need to ride...

Also, I assume Sandy Ridge is still under snow.

mangai.rollin
    We passed through Brightwood on 26 yesterday and there's 3-4" on the ground along the highway, so I'd guess Sandy Ridge would have over 12" up top.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Bax
    Anyone know the status as of Jan 1 on the conditions out towards HR? Dying to ride, but don't want to drive from Portland to find 2 feet of snow. I don't even care if just the lower stuff is open - I just need to ride...

Also, I assume Sandy Ridge is still under snow.
    I drove by on Thursday, no snow since then... Syncline started to get snow about halfway up, so it's probably mostly rideable. And on the HR side there were a few inches down low so upper Post is probably pretty buried. Can't say for certain though.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    From the fence down is just fine, so Maui and Moab laps good. There is snow in the shady areas up higher. We were very happy that it really didn't snow that low last Wednesday. Go get it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Please Use Caution at Sycline

If you make it out to the Syncline in the morning it will be frozen and very nice but the sun can make it very muddy really fast. I was out there on Friday in the mid afternoon and was only able to make it half way to the fence line. The mud was just so gloopy and sticky that I was leaving ruts in the trail. I had to turn around out of concern for the trails. Please use good judgement when riding out there at this time in the year.

I believe that the freeze-thaw cycle produces worse conditions than even just straight rain.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Completely agree

Most rides right now are screwed up due to this freeze/thraw dynamic as well as recent low elevation snowfall. I did a four hour road ride today to avoid mucking up the trails. I also didn't have it in me to drive 45+ minutes to ride on mucky trails.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Rode Syncline today

Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26
    If you make it out to the Syncline in the morning it will be frozen and very nice but the sun can make it very muddy really fast. I was out there on Friday in the mid afternoon and was only able to make it half way to the fence line. The mud was just so gloopy and sticky that I was leaving ruts in the trail. I had to turn around out of concern for the trails. Please use good judgement when riding out there at this time in the year.

I believe that the freeze-thaw cycle produces worse conditions than even just straight rain.
    It is as muddy and mucked up as I have ever seen it. I ended up bailing on it and going to Trail 400 for a buzz. Syncline is so rutted out; I was amazed by gnarly condition of Maui Waterfall ended up bailing on it because I was concerned about continuing to bust up the trail....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Was up there on saturday--plenty of sun and quite a few bikes. It has been sufficiently dry that much of the worst of the mud had tacked up on maui, but you can see some damage from when it was bad. It was rideable saturday, but be careful not to push it on a different day. Moab is in great shape and fun to ride right now. Above the fence line is still suffering from freeze/thaw conditions, extremely muddy, and not recommended for the reasons Jaybo mentioned.

mangai.rollin
    Rode Syncline on Sun. The top was great until it thawed out on the third or fourth lap. Lil Moab and Coyote Canyon were awesome!

BTW, two vehicles had windows broken out while we were out on the trail. Neither were from our crew and the one owner that we talked to didn't have anything stolen. I'm assuming the thieves were scared off by someone pulling into the busy parking area.
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    This is terrible news, as a very religious syncline rider (4+ days a week during winter) I have yet to see a break in there. This is very gutsy/stupid to do with an area with such high traffic. Hopefully they will get caught soon as this is becoming an issue at all trail heads.

BTW, two vehicles had windows broken out while we were out on the trail. Neither were from our crew and the one owner that we talked to didn't have anything stolen. I'm assuming the thieves were scared off by someone pulling into the busy parking area.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member

Syncline "political" update

Just received a letter in the mail yesterday from WA FS land manager stating that "Alternative 2" is the chosen option they are going to fully pursue up there for the trails at Burdoin Mt/Coyote Wall/Catherine Creek area. What does this option include/exclude for mtb trails again, if anyone knows and when does it take to fully effect? From the letter, sounds like the decision can be appealed if others decide to do so, but no later than 45 days from the approval or by the end of this month.
    Ride On!

ronbo613
    Just for your information, there have been a number of vehicle break-ins at the trailheads in the White Salmon/Bingen area; if you lived around here you might have heard about them.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Just received a letter in the mail yesterday from WA FS land manager stating that "Alternative 2" is the chosen option they are going to fully pursue up there for the trails at Burdoin Mt/Coyote Wall/Catherine Creek area. What does this option include/exclude for mtb trails again, if anyone knows and when does it take to fully effect? From the letter, sounds like the decision can be appealed if others decide to do so, but no later than 45 days from the approval or by the end of this month.
    This is the latest document I've found: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CNXurPMO

It doesn't explain a whole lot...

Edit: Actually it explains quite a bit... Now that I've thoroughly read it.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    This is the latest document I've found: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CNXurPMO

It doesn't explain a whole lot...

Edit: Actually it explains quite a bit... Now that I've thoroughly read it.
    Thanks Matt, I couldn't remember where that was for some reason.

Yeah, "Alt 2" looks like the one that removes all of Coyote Canyon trail with proposal for a new trail west of Courtney Rd. and all/most of the trails stay open to bikes east of Coyote Wall with exception of Catherine Creek area which is going be designated hiking trails only. Not too terribly bad (could of been worse, I guess), but the loss of Coyote sucks big time and I don't see how the proposed trail west of Courtney Rd. will be near as good (but I could be wrong, I hope) especially if it is built specifically for off-road bikes in mind.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I live in HR and have ridden there for several years and never seen a break in at Syncline or Hospital Hill. Even off the 44 road I spend a good 60+ rides there a season and never seen any issues... and hopefully I never will...... maybe driving a POS has helped!

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Just for your information, there have been a number of vehicle break-ins at the trailheads in the White Salmon/Bingen area; if you lived around here you might have heard about them.

mtbr member
    I think that "Alt 2" also includes some loop off of the exiting Coyote Canyon trail in the upper portions of the trail (just after the second gate of the Kreps ranch property). Strange because they will decommission CC (because the FS cannot make a trail that enters onto private land), but yet they will construct a loop trail which really has no way to get to unless you drive there or possibly access from Cry Baby??

Either way the loss of CC is huge, especially for a trail that does so well in wet conditions and shows very little impact from use.

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Thanks Matt, I couldn't remember where that was for some reason.

Yeah, "Alt 2" looks like the one that removes all of Coyote Canyon trail with proposal for a new trail west of Courtney Rd. and all/most of the trails stay open to bikes east of Coyote Wall with exception of Catherine Creek area which is going be designated hiking trails only. Not too terribly bad (could of been worse, I guess), but the loss of Coyote sucks big time and I don't see how the proposed trail west of Courtney Rd. will be near as good (but I could be wrong, I hope) especially if it is built specifically for off-road bikes in mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0