Portland/Bend/Hood River riding. Worth shipping bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Portland/Bend/Hood River riding. Worth shipping bikes?

I'm flying up (from UT) this weekend to pick up a vehicle and drive it home. Considering if it is worth shipping/flying up our bikes and hitting some rides on the way..I'm leaving Thurs night, picking up the vehicle Friday AM, will have all Sat-Sun to stop for rides and then make it home Mon. I've got several questions I need help with:

-What are the current trail conditions in the Portland area? Our spring time here was been very wet, but a lot of the trails have remained ridable.. Wondering if you guys are experiencing the same thing. It looks like the forecast for the weekend calls for rain. I'm assuming rain up there is nothing like rain in UT. Are there any trails that are ridable during rainy conditions?

-Any recommendations for rides are welcome! I'm up for pretty much anything, but based on the bike I'll be bringing (Canfield One) I prefer technical single track. I will only have one vehicle, so shuttle rides aren't an option. I'd also prefer riding that is specific to Oregon. I get to ride Northern Utah, Moab and St. George all the time, so I'm looking for something different.

-I was planning on hitting Bend, but this will add about 2 hrs to our drive. My other concern is any mountain passes that may have the potential for substantial snow The vehicle I'm bringing back (dodge sprinter) is only RWD. I plan on grabbing some chains for it, but that will be even more slow going. Are there any mountain passes/roads to be concerned about in poor weather?

-The other option for the drive home is hitting Hood River. This one seems to make more sense as I can stick to the major hwy (I-84) instead of the detour to hit bend. Same questions apply. Mountain passes/road conditions and recommend trails?

-For riding in Bend I've been checking out this site:

http://cotamtb.com/trails/

Any trails on this list you'd recommend? Any other sites/guides you'd recommend?

Lastly, recommended site/trail guides for Hood River?

Thanks much in advance! Any advice/guidance you can give is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Yes, It would be worth it to ship the bikes. Stopping at Hood River for a couple days to ride Post Canyon and Syncline plus beers at the brewpubs is a nobrainer.

The weather has been good the last few days and is forecasted to be good for the next week or so.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    And the trails here in Hood River are in perfect shape!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Food for thought: since you get to ride tech singletrack all of the time and are looking for something different, are you sure you want to ride the local tech singletrack? Maybe a long, smooth, rainforest singletrack with soft loamy soil would be a nice change? If so, you could rent a short-travel or hardtail locally, and you wouldn't have to stick a muddy bike into your new car. Sat/Sun forecast calls for showers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok, Hood River it is!

Smooth, ripping, forest single track does sound excellent.

Found a gps route for Post Canyon here:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=37908

Syncline sounds pretty epic also.
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...6_4586crx.aspx

Does anyone know where I can download a GPS route for it?

B42
    mtbr member
    You could hit sandy ridge on your way to hood river. While were getting snow in the passes it's melting and getting plowed quickly so you shouldn't need chains in Oregon.

On wuss patrol
    Here's one I've used for Syncline. Not too bad.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/196523
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Your Sprinter's not by any wild chance from Outside Van, is it DRIDE?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk
    Your Sprinter's not by any wild chance from Outside Van, is it DRIDE?
    Yup! It is.. pretty stoked about it!

Figure if I'm going to be in that area with the right equipment, might as well take advantage of it

So, the plan now is to hit Hood River sat/sun. Ride Syncline, Post Canyon and whatever else we have time for. Will be coming back up for a trip to whistler later this year, will hit Bend on that trip instead.

Thanks again for everyone's help. If you guys ever need help on UT rides, hit me up!

mtbr member
    Maybe we need an Outside Vans mtbr forum. I've had mine since last summer and go all over the place in it. Planning on OR myself towards the end of the month. Congratulations and Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

rode post yesterday and it was a little wet. but today and tomorrow are sunnny!

I think you will be hitting it all at the right time for post and syncline. I rode a couple of hours yesterday in post and it was a little wet, but nothing that won't dry out by tonight or tomorrow. Congrats on your OV, SIK rig!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk
    Maybe we need an Outside Vans mtbr forum. I've had mine since last summer and go all over the place in it. Planning on OR myself towards the end of the month. Congratulations and Enjoy!
    I've been using this site for sprinter questions:

www.sprinter-source.com

They've got an OV forum here:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...play.php?f=187

I'm actually buying mine used from a guy that is having a second one converted. I was going to just buy a used cargo and do the conversion myself, but this will save me a ton of time and headaches sorting stuff out.

Psyched to hear you are still happy with your rig!

highly visible
    Most of our lower-elevation trails do NOT close for winter, no matter how much rain we get. In most cases, if it isn't buried in snow (or even if it is) it is open for riding. Some of the Central Oregon trails will close briefly after the snow melts out, but they tend to reopen pretty quickly.

We should be past the point where you'll have much pass-elevation snow to worry about. Assuming you're going back home on I-84, the only areas you'll have to worry about are the Blue Mountains (Cabbage Hill/Deadman Summit and Ladd Canyon, between Pendleton and Baker) on I-84. You should be mostly out of the woods (so to speak) on that by now. The Blues can be extremely treacherous when there is a lot of snow though, but this time of year you wouldn't have to wait it out very long. And Pendleton isn't a bad place to hang out.

Lots of good riding around Hood River, and I'd also second the Sandy Ridge recommendo -- but I'll also put in a plug for Longview, about 50 miles north of Portland. Check in with the Washington board and you should be able to find some locals to show you around the Stella system. They've built an awesome network of tight & twisty, very rooty and technical trails on private timberland. If you want an intro to classic westside northwest riding, this is a good one.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Post Canyon

Hey DRIDE,
    From Ut. also. Drove up to Hood River 2wks ago to ride post canyon, 2nd time we have been there, last year we were up there for a Fluideride Enduro DH and loved the place so we made plans to return this year. The riding in Post canyon is fabulous. Check out Discover Bike shop, I think they are on Cascade, easy to find, great shop, very helpfull, they have a great map of Post Canyon and will give you the best and up to date information on the trails, as there is some active logging in the canyon right now. Driving up I-84 was no problem, there was a slight skiff of snow at Deadman pass near Emigrant Springs, but that was right after a storm had just rolled through, on our way back home all that snow had melted. Mt. Hood pass on Hwy 35 had just recieved some snow as well but quikly melted off.
    Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE
    Yup! It is.. pretty stoked about it!

Figure if I'm going to be in that area with the right equipment, might as well take advantage of it
    Damn, those are cool.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks again everyone for the input!

I am going to stay on I-84. I found out the van has some really good all season (M+S) michelins on it so I should be straight even if there is a bit of snow.

Looks like 60% chance of rain Sat night. Is syncline or post canyon better to ride in the wet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks again everyone for the input!

I am going to stay on I-84. I found out the van has some really good all season (M+S) michelins on it so I should be straight even if there is a bit of snow.

Looks like 60% chance of rain Sat night. Is syncline or post canyon better to ride in the wet?
    When in town, do yourself a favor and cross the bridge to White Salmon for Everybody's Brewing. Yes, I love Double Mountain (Casey Neill Saturday night!!!!!) and usually have IRA on tap in my garage, but Everybody's is, IMHO, the best beer in the Gorge. Great view from the back deck, as well.

I find the beer helps heal the wounded pride from getting schooled by your 7-year-old on the stunts at Family Man.

On wuss patrol
    Depends on the rain amount. A few showers, both should hold up okay although Post can get a little slimy on the surface. Heavier showers/rain, then Syncline is the better. I concur on on Everybody's. Worth the bridge toll even if you don't ride on the WA side.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not this time of year. Wait a month or two then ship up those bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0