off piste at Ski Bowl MT. Hood (check this out )- Mtbr.com
    SNOWRIDER

off piste at Ski Bowl MT. Hood (check this out )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a no-no but I had permission from the lift op's I've been debating whether or not I want to even mention this on the internet but here goes.

End of day on Sat just as the upper bowl chair was closing , I was the only one in the upper bowl except the two lift operators so I asked what kind of trouble I would get in if I hucked into the canyon and rode the ski slope down ( I've been eyeballing this run every time I go up the lift) they both said go for it dude I got to see this !

Having allready eyed my line from the chair and looked over the edge to pic my drop in.
    I didn't hesitate just rolled over the edge at the top of Cannonball and man talk about a level of commitment. No turning back now. Damn guys thats fvcking steep.The absolute slowest I could keep my speed was 20 + mph with the back wheel locked up most of the way down and good for nothing else but a rudder and full pressure on the front brake I could not have stopped the bike for nothing short of a crash I am going to the bottom now either on the bike or as a ragdoll

The run is super steepand extremely rocky and loose with a few small rock drops and prob 1/2 of a mile long. The bike was so loose and drifting the a$$ end around that it felt more like the ski bike than the Norco. I ended up dabbing 3 times and ran the whole run, about 2/3 of the way down you can finally let off the brakes and let her go MAN WHAT A RUSH

Any locals that know this slope chime in and let me know what you think, I know we've all eyeball it. And I did it.. Anyone else done this or seen it done.?.....

Sorry guys I know you want pics but the only ones that even saw me do it was the guys working the lift. They were working the alpne slide let off later in the evening and me and my buddies all heard what they thought about it..
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

May 2006
    sounds like a gutsy ride -- well done!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydude

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a no-no but I had permission from the lift op's I've been debating whether or not I want to even mention this on the internet but here goes.

End of day on Sat just as the upper bowl chair was closing , I was the only one in the upper bowl except the two lift operators so I asked what kind of trouble I would get in if I hucked into the canyon and rode the ski slope down ( I've been eyeballing this run every time I go up the lift) they both said go for it dude I got to see this !

Having allready eyed my line from the chair and looked over the edge to pic my drop in.
    I didn't hesitate just rolled over the edge at the top of Cannonball and man talk about a level of commitment. No turning back now. Damn guys thats fvcking steep.The absolute slowest I could keep my speed was 20 + mph with the back wheel locked up most of the way down and good for nothing else but a rudder and full pressure on the front brake I could not have stopped the bike for nothing short of a crash I am going to the bottom now either on the bike or as a ragdoll

The run is super steepand extremely rocky and loose with a few small rock drops and prob 1/2 of a mile long. The bike was so loose and drifting the a$$ end around that it felt more like the ski bike than the Norco. I ended up dabbing 3 times and ran the whole run, about 2/3 of the way down you can finally let off the brakes and let her go MAN WHAT A RUSH

Any locals that know this slope chime in and let me know what you think, I know we've all eyeball it. And I did it.. Anyone else done this or seen it done.?.....

Sorry guys I know you want pics but the only ones that even saw me do it was the guys working the lift. They were working the alpne slide let off later in the evening and me and my buddies all heard what they thought about it..
    YUUUUUUUUP - the funny thing is it's a LOT steeper on a mountain bike than it is on a snowboard!!! LOL!

G MAN

a tight kick sound
    Git SUM!!!!!!!!!
    Nice work

B

SNOWRIDER
    Thanx guys I didn't realize how steep it was till I was on it, it is def steeper than it looks and that run made my whole day at Ski Bowl worth it. beleive it or not they are actually talking about expanding their trail system and adding more trails to the bike park and opening the back side of the mountain. Hope it happens (skeptical) cause the limited terrain up there open to mountain bikers really does suck...
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ya..i did that last year. May as well get your $$'s worth. The only good trail is the pro/expert race section through the woods. And thats not OFFICIAL i guess.

Respect Your Trails
    Its not worth the cash? I was thinking about checking it out.
    What are the trails...XC / Freeride / just access roads on the mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Ya..i did that last year. May as well get your $$'s worth. The only good trail is the pro/expert race section through the woods. And thats not OFFICIAL i guess.

SNOWRIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    Its not worth the cash? I was thinking about checking it out.
    What are the trails...XC / Freeride / just access roads on the mountain?
    Its not that bad , there is some rocky fairly steep dh stuff in the upper bowl. It just that you are really limited to just a couple of trails I don't care much for the powder dust trail conditions late in the summer.

Respect Your Trails
    So a couple rocky decents on a lack of bike trails...hmmmm.

Are there any drops / berms / tabletops on any of the courses?

I might have to make a day of it and check it out just to say I did.

Members who have read this thread: 0