New to Town (Beaverton)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

New to Town (Beaverton)

Hello,

I just moved to Beaverton from San Diego and am itching to get riding. In San Diego, the general rule of thumb is to wait a few days to a week after it rains before riding, so the trails don't get damaged. Do the same rules apply up here? If so, it looks like I picked the wrong time to make the move!

Unfortunately, I haven't had much of a chance to research the trails in the area. However, from what I understand, in order to hit the good singletrack, I would need to drive outside the city limits, correct? I plan on checking out some LBS's to get trail maps/info and whatnot, but if someone were kind enough to play trail guide, it'd be much appreciated.

If you've read this far, here is a little about myself: I ride at an intermediate-advance level and my current bike is a Pivot Mach 5. I don't mind climbing to earn the descent. My favorite trails are Noble Canyon (in San Diego), Sedona, AZ, and Gooseberry Mesa, UT.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing some exploring and meeting some new people along the way. Thanks!

-Dennis

mtbr member
    you can always come ride when we all go. when spring/summer rolls around we go to blackrock a lot. Your Pivot will roll great there. send me a PM w/ your contact info and i'll keep you updated.

- Ryan

mtbr member
    Welcome to Oregon Dennis, I live in Beaverton as well. While I typically hang up my bike during the rainy season in exchange for my snowboard here is some base info. In my opinion the closest real single track is about 50 minutes east off rt6 called browns camp, rogers camp,lee's camp and about 10 other names. There is also some riding in scappose of rt 30. Plenty of people ride during the rainy season and the Wilson river trail out past brown's camp is a good trail for just that. Lots of info on this board regarding your post. Would be happy to ride/carpool with you once the sun comes back out sometime in June. Feel free to ask me any questions. Our summers are truly ideal and there is a lot of amazing riding if you are willing to drive for it. And oh ya your bike is about ideal for 80% of our trail riding . Best luck
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 01-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Beaverton, neighbor!

Oregon is great in the fact that you can ride year round. Sun, rain, snow....I try to get out and ride once per week. I've ridden Tillamook State Forest, Sandy Ridge, and Black Rock all in the past month.

I normally have odd days off, but hit me up if you want to go riding soon and aren't afraid of some weather.

Here are some pics from my recent rides.

Sandy Ridge

Tillamook State Forest

Black Rock

Calm like a Bomb
    As Ryan said come out to BR with us sometime...I have been staying off the big bike but have been doing some trail riding on the weekends

I am in Raleigh Hills which is right next to Beaverton so we are close

let me know when you want to ride next we may go out this weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed
    As Ryan said come out to BR with us sometime...I have been staying off the big bike but have been doing some trail riding on the weekends

I am in Raleigh Hills which is right next to Beaverton so we are close

let me know when you want to ride next we may go out this weekend
    Yes - lets ride this weekend. I'm not making any plans yet. ALl i need to do is get my hair cut and ride mountain bikes. Swish!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Checkout the harmonic convergenSS Thread

you sound like you would get a kick out of our trails. It's SW Washington but maybe 40 minutes away.
    PM me if coming
    bike ON
    bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Metalheadbikerider

Welcome!

A great way to meet fellow riders and learn about some great trails/events/etc is to come to a Northwest Trail Alliance meeting. We are the local advocacy/rider group in the area. You can also post in the forums on our website for rides, and check the calendar for upcoming rides. The meetings are on the last Monday of the every month at Hopworks Urban Brewery, which by the way has amazing beer in a city full of amazing beer.

http://nw-trail.org

Please let me know if you have any questions about the organization, trails, etc. I'd be happy to help out.

[email protected]

Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Stunzeed,

I think the ball and chain made plans for us this weekend, but PM me where/when you plan on riding this weekend and I'll try to make it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Welcome, I grew up in SD, rode noble, pretty much everywhere. IMHO, there is way better and more singletrack up here, and it is generally 45min+ from downtown. I chuckled on the weather: if people wait 4 days for the rain to stop up here, they'd only leave the house in summer. I found the forecasts up here to good only for helping me guess whether I bring a lot of rain gear, or a little... Do check out the nwta group; their site also has a list going of winter rides (not all are snowy). Enjoy.

Members who have read this thread: 0