mtbr member
    May 2005

Mt Bike Oregon Update

Hi Everyone

Looking forward to seeing many of you this summer.

Just a quick update.

Ray's Food Place is donating all the lunch food and snacks, so a BIG THANKS to them.

July Saturday Middle Fork ride is full. August Saturday Middle Fork is 2/3 full.
    Friday and Sunday both events have 15-25 seats per day left, but remember ALL those days sold out last year.

Lodging
    There was a MAJOR slide that took out the main RR line between OR and Cal, so all the lodging in Oakridge has been full for months, while they try and fix it. They say there are at least 250,000 dump truck loads of dirt that need moved. I would highly suggest you call NOW if you need lodging. www.oakridgechamber.com to see list of lodging and other businesses. A new B&B 72 Oaks is opening. Vivian at the Oakridge Motel also has 3 vacation rental houses.

Pretty soon I will have more updates on:
    New rides
    Which bike companies will be there
    Food
    Other details

There will be some cool new stuff this year, we hope you'll enjoy.

As always please contact me with any questions

More info at:
    www.mtbikeoregon.com

Please remember there is a strict limit on the number of riders, so once we are full we must close reg. Given the turn out the last couple years, we are guessing both MBO's will sell out.

Take Care
    Randy
    Randy23 is online now Edit/Delete Message

mtbr member

Lower Bunchgrass Ride

Randy,

I'm planning to attend the July session, however, I need to find a new "epic" Saturday ride since Middle Fork is sold out. I was looking at the Lower Bunchgrass Ride (advanced riders). What's that ride like, and what makes it for "advanced" riders?

Thanks,
    Stan

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by scocke
    Randy,

I'm planning to attend the July session, however, I need to find a new "epic" Saturday ride since Middle Fork is sold out. I was looking at the Lower Bunchgrass Ride (advanced riders). What's that ride like, and what makes it for "advanced" riders?

Thanks,
    Stan
    The Bunchgrass ride is considered to be pure torture to many. With absurdly steep ups and downs, and a very rough trail, many folks end up walking large sections of trail. Even the best local riders get their butts kicked doing Bunchgrass, and I don't recommend it unless you are a glutton for punishment, and have something to prove.

If you want a good hard ride on Saturday, do a full loop of Alpine ( No shuttle) or do Larrison Creek and Larrison Rock together. If Bunchgrass ends up as part of MBO, you will need to "qualify" for the ride by proving to your guides on Friday that you can handle it.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member

Bunchgrass

Thanks Sas. Looks like I'll be avoiding BunchGrass and sticking with Alpine.

Stan

mtbr member
    Don't let Sas's post scare you away, the loop is not the entire Bunchgrasss trail, besides in the past few years the entire of Bunchgrass has become pretty enjoyable.

The loop for MBO will be a fun ride, include a solid 6 mile gravel climb and some singletrack climbing. It has a combination of fast flowing singletrack and technical singletrack that will challenge most everyone.

It is for advanced riders as you should be fit for climbing and still have the energy for going down. I would say it is easier physically than all of Middlefork, but has some more technical areas than Middlefork has.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Out spokin'
    A Bunchgrass experience a couple years ago left MBO with a bit of a black eye. Let's just say a rescue team had to be organized just before dark; happily everything turned out all right. Anyway, nowadays the promoter wants to be sure that the only people who get involved with Bunchgrass know exactly what they are getting into.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi All

This is ONLY lower Bunchgrass...
    Ride from the park out Salmon Creek, up gravel roads and then up and down the the bunchgrass back to town.

Tire Mountain is also a good longer ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Is an Alpine Out & Back worth the effort?
    I hate riding for 2+ hours on gravel roads with a full camelbac just so I can enjoy Alpine's wonderful single track, so what's wrong with climbing up Alpine? Is there much of a risk of head-ons with the downhillers?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would NOT go up Alpine Trail during MBO...you'd be pulling over all the time.
    IF anything I would ride up the road.
    Top of Alpine and then Tire Mt is a good ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are you bringing the Search and Rescue boys back this year?

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by pnwsarmbt

Why, are you planning on getting lost?
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by pnwsarmbt
    Randy's got 'em on speed dial.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Randy's got 'em on speed dial.

Caz

I hope they will come again...waiting to hear from Tony

Members who have read this thread: 0