MRT, Kings, O/O Since the Snow?- Mtbr.com
    The Brutally Handsome

MRT, Kings, O/O Since the Snow?

Anyone know the status of Kings Castle, MRT or O'Leary/Ollalie trails since the snow storm?

mtbr member
    yes - disaster of trees down, and other issues. scorpions, sata, and others are working on both today I believe.

mtbr member
    Keep an eye on the shuttle / status page from Horse Creek Lodge. If it's not up to date, give them a call. As of three days ago they have it posted as still under snow and in need of logging out.

I haven't heard of any DoD planned days yet to clear those trails. There's a lot of volunteer work being done right now over on the Oakridge / Highway 58 side.

mtbr member
    Kings castle and MRT today. Have not heard about O leary but it has to be bad like everything else in the cascades.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    O'leary might not be as bad as you think, that trail is higher elevation and the trees up there more used to handling large amounts of snow. But it is higher elevation and likely still under a ton of snow. But I am sure there is still quite a lot of blowdown.

mtbr member
    80 trees down on the first mile alone of King-Castle (instagram link) according to Adam Craig. Also saw reports from HCFV that they had to cut their way just to get into the (tiny) parking lot at the trailhead. Don't even know what state the shuttle road is in.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    80 trees down on the first mile alone of King-Castle (instagram link) according to Adam Craig. Also saw reports from HCFV that they had to cut their way just to get into the (tiny) parking lot at the trailhead. Don't even know what state the shuttle road is in.
    Just looked at his post and wow, what a bummer. That's worse than I even thought. Are any trails clear?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Just looked at his post and wow, what a bummer. That's worse than I even thought. Are any trails clear?
    Blackrock was good today. A little wet on the first pass so stayed of the wood but it got better throughout the day.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    SATA and HCFV now report King-Castle is open from the lower road drop-in all the way down to the King Rd TH. No word on Castle Rock, the last short upper section of King-Castle, O’Leary, Olallie, or the MRT.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Just curious -- are e-bikes permitted on the O/O/KC trails?

mtbr member
    I don't know. I also don't know any way to find out, short of looking directly at signs on-site or calling the ranger district directly. The USFS website doesn't say you CAN ride motor (and hence e-bikes) on King-Castle, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because I know you CAN on Lawler and the USFS website says nothing about that, either.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up the MRT is open top to bottom! There is a small landslide area closer to the bottom that requires some hiking off trail, but it is passable. Horse Creek Lodge started their shuttles for the season this past weekend as well!
    King Castle and Castle Rock are both open but the road if you want to shuttle is still blocked by downed trees.
    This weekend is a trail work party to help open O'Leary/Ollalie this weekend. Call Horse Creek Lodge if you want to get involved.

mtbr member
    Oleary Loop is clear of trees and has some biggish snow patches up top, but open. Horse Pasture TH not open yet. You will need to earn your ride by heading up Ollallie.

Out spokin'
    Thank you!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Plus one! Thanks bunches.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!