Mach 5.5 OR Mach 6 for Oregon, mostly Bend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mach 5.5 OR Mach 6 for Oregon, mostly Bend

Local to Portland so Stub, Sandy. When over in Bend I head up and down Dinah Moe, Kiwa, Tylers, Storm King. But I also do Skyliners, Tumalo Ridge, Upper whoops etc. so far. I also do DRT w/ the kids. Looking at these two bikes and am considering both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the 5.5 and love it, but I ride mostly WRT, gales, Rheers, and Umpqua with it. If I am heading to sandy, post or Oakridge I grab my wreckoning....

mtbr member
    Whatever works for you on all the trails at Sandy should work anywhere.

I ride a Nomad at Sandy Ridge; haven't been to Stub. I also ride a Nomad on the Wanoga network (Tyler's, Tiddly, Funner), hitting all the jumps and drops except for one or two of the Tiddly gaps (maybe this year I'll get them all). It also does just fine through the Mrazek slalom, Phil's canyon, Funner. Also at Alsea, Blackrock, Crawfish.

If I know I'm going to Bend in late summer to ride the high elevation stuff (shuttle to Dutchman, pick a way in to town) then I bring my 5010. Same for riding Oakridge. I took the 5010 to King-Castle last year but... maybe I could have used the Nomad in a couple spots? Meh.

mtbr member
    I ordered the 5.5. Should be here in a week. The bike will be more than enough for my skills I think. My old Scout was a bit of a handful at Sandy.

mtbr member
    I owned there 5.5 for a couple months....it actually replaces the V1 Mach 6 which I loved but cracked in Downieville (my fault, not the bikes). I'm one of the few (based on long topic on Pivot forum) that wasn't impressed with the 5.5. The 2.6 tires going down had grip for days but sluggish on the climbs and while you can plow over/through obstacles on the way down, I prefer not to. I sold it faster than any bike I've ever owned and don't regret it for a second. It just was low on fun factor for *me*.

I then demo'd the brand new Mach 6. Granted it wasn't built up the way I prefer but it was kind meh as well. Definitely climbed much better than the 5.5 and was more fun on the downs but nothing close to my 5010 or my old Yeti SB5 (best bike ever for Oregon). To answer your question, I guess I'd say 5.5 if it suits you and you like a smoother ride and the Mach 6 if you like to push the envelope for some action.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree with K2rider1964 about the wheels and tires. I rode the WT wheels for 6 months and got rid of them because the where sluggish and heavy. they did have great traction. I built up some DT Swiss 421's on 350's with standard 2.3 tires and it has really transformed the bike into a do it all machine. still not the bump leveling machine that the Wreckoning is but more agile and quicker handling for every day riding. You will not be disappointed. the suspension once setup is very plush. I have owned and ridden many bikes over the years and the pivot def takes the cake as my best overall bike to date.

mtbr member
    I did order it with the X2.

mtbr member
    The 5.5 would do well for almost everything in Bend. If you plan to hit Bachelor the 5.5 would do ok, but the 6 would obviously be the better choice.
    The Ibis Mojo HD4 is also worth checking out if you aren't set on Pivot.

I run 2.6" Maxxis DHR II's on my bike and I think they are awesome. I have 2.3's on another bike and I don't notice a difference in climbing speed going between the bikes. The main thing I notice is the traction and confidence that the 2.6 tires give on the way down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The x2 is the way to go too. Mine came with the standard DPS fox shock, which was a good shock but it had a low speed wallow when all the way open that I didnít like. I bought the x2 and tuned that out of it. Really transformed its descending in my opinion.

mtbr member
    My concern getting the X2 with my build was my weight, 210 and add what, maybe ten pounds including a 100 oz pack? LBS said I'd be running about 200 psi.

I'm 47 so hucking any bike around is likely more behind me than in front of me. 5 years back I flipped over the bars on my Santa Cruz and dislocated my clavicle at the sternum. It never went back in so I have that typical bump. Also had an MCL tear from another injury, had herniated disc surgery a little over a year ago etc. Having said this the 5.5 appealed to me as I do want control and a plush ride, something that I can rely on to bail me out when I run out of talent. I considered a Mach 6 but for me between the two it may be a wash.

Other bikes I considered was a Bronson but I'm between frames size wise. I had an OG Scout but wanted more travel than the 125, so I considered another SBG Scout or a Patrol but I wanted carbon as I've never had a carbon bike. Looked at a Sight, Rocky Mountain Altitude. Landed on a Pivot imo the quality looks pretty dang good, 10 year warranty is unheard of as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I put 1500 miles on a Bronson CC V2. Sucks that youíre between sizes... Santa Cruz knocked it out of the park with that thing. Sold it to buffer ACL reconstruction...just hooked into a Ď17 Slash 9.8........thought real hard about that Sight, but went with a monster truck. Iím only 41 😂

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Have you considered a YT? I have a great relationship with my LBS (and I work in outdoor retail) so I couldnít, with a clear conscience, do the direct to consumer thing; but I did demo the Capra and it is worthy.

mtbr member
    I've heard about YT but don't know much about the brand. Them, Canyon and Intense I've heard are going the direct route. Transition is also doing something where you can order it through them and they send it to your local Tranny dealer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My buddy just picked up a Commencal.....crazy build for the money